Awoo.
SSMB Doesn't Chuckle! 'KNUCKLEHEAD' Theme Returns!

Rabbitearsblog's Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comics Thoughts Thread

Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog

Hey everyone!  I'm Rabbitearsblog and in this thread, I talk about my personal thoughts about the Sonic the Hedgehog IDW comic book series as I read each issue / collection and give out my thoughts on each collection.  Now, the reason why I wanted to make a separate thread about this is because I'm way behind in the IDW comics and I didn't want to slow down the main threads discussing this series with me just talking about the older issues, even though we are 40 issues in now.  If you want to talk about the current issues from the IDW series, then check out the IDW Megathread.

But now, let's get started!

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Collection #1 : Issues #1 -#12

sonicidwvol1.jpg

So, I just picked up the first collection in the Sonic the Hedgehog IDW series and moving forward, this will be how I will start collecting the series at this point. So, I probably won't be picking up this series issue by issue.  I rather have the whole story arc in my hands than read each issue on a weekly basis.  But anyway, let's talk about my thoughts about the first collection of the series:

Spoiler
  • First off, I was surprised that this series takes place after the events of "Sonic Forces" since I was thinking that they were going to do a completely original setting that's different from the games.  But now, I'm glad that we actually have a series outside of the games that actually takes place in the game continuity.  For years, any time Sonic the Hedgehog got a TV series or a movie or a comic book series, they always take place in a different setting from the games.  But now, the comics are actually taking place in the game continuity and we are finally seeing some interesting stories that can come from the game continuity in a different medium.
  • What I really like about this series so far is how we actually get some insight into how the characters are feeling or how the characters are dealing with the fallout of the war in "Sonic Forces." One of my biggest gripes with "Sonic Forces" is that we didn't really get a good insight on how the characters are dealing with Dr. Eggman finally taking over the world.  An event that had never happened in the franchise up until that point.  We actually have the characters having to deal with Eggman's armies that were left over from the war and we also got some emotional weight to the whole situation (I'm still angry at the fact that in "Sonic Forces," Sonic himself was actually captured and yet, he didn't really show any kind of emotional trauma of either being captured or failing to protect the planet, leading to Eggman taking over the world). 
  • Now let's talk about how the characters are being written in this series so far.  For one thing, I love how Tails is being written in this series so far.  One of the most infamous scenes in "Sonic Forces" was how he cowered in front of Chaos, when in past Sonic games, he was a pretty fearless character in his own right.  Just as he's introduced into this series, Tails is actually shown helping out Sonic and beating up some robots with no fear and I can't help but cheer a bit when I saw this scene!  I especially loved the scene afterwards when Tails tells Sonic that's he's worried about him and that he doesn't want to lose him again.  And then we see that Sonic is actually reassuring Tails that he will be more careful this time around.  Another great brotherly moment between Sonic and Tails was when during the "Battle for Angel Island" arc, Sonic starts frantically looking for Tails after Tails crashes the ship into a transformed Metal Sonic and when Tails comes out of the ship alive and Sonic is relieved, I just felt so much warmth in that scene! I just loved this brotherly relationship between Tails and Sonic and it's something that I really missed from the games themselves and the scenes between Sonic and Tails are definitely some of my favorite moments from this collection.
  • Now let's talk about the introduction of Tangle and Whisper.  I will admit that when I first heard about this, I was a bit concerned because SEGA tends to have a nasty habit of introducing so many characters into this franchise and then abandoning some of them at the last second (like, what happened to Fang the Sniper (or Nack the Weasel, depending on what you want to call him)?  But, when I finally read the issues where both characters were introduced, I was instantly hooked to both characters!  I really love Tangle here!  Tangle is such a fun and nice character that brings so much positivity to this series and I just can't help but cheer along with her whenever she is trying to cheer people up.  Whisper was another character that I was interested in as she's a quiet character who apparently had some trauma in her past that I'm really interested in knowing more about.  But yeah, I'm actually glad that these two new characters were introduced since they brought a lot more flavor to the core cast.
  • Amy was another character that I really liked!  Sure, there was some controversy about how her character was being written in this series since some fans of the Archie Comics believed that she was just a stand in for Princess Sally as Amy also leads the Resistance and arguably has a more mature personality here than she did in other media. But, I personally loved this characterization of Amy Rose because it shows that she can do more than just chasing Sonic around.  She can be a good leader if the situation calls for it and I'm really loving this interpretation of Amy Rose so far.
  • Now let's talk a bit about Shadow here. Shadow doesn't do much in this collection so far and I haven't even gotten to his most controversial moment in this series yet.  But, Shadow is okay here.  He seems more like an angry guy who just wants to challenge a stronger opponent and I will admit that I'm not a big fan of this characterization of Shadow since I grew up with the Shadow who is grumpy, but has a tragic backstory that made him very sympathetic. I'll go more into his character once I get the second collection of this series.
  • Knuckles was a fun character as always!  I'm just glad that he's not portrayed as he was in "Sonic Boom" since I always loved Knuckles being the grumpy loner who wants to protect the Master Emerald.
  • I did enjoy the mystery surrounding Mr. Tinker, as it was interesting seeing Eggman lose his memory after the events of "Sonic Forces" and actually see him as a nicer person.  I also loved the fact that Sonic, the Chaotix and Shadow have a dilemma in dealing with this situation.  Either they take in Mr. Tinker for his crimes against the planet or they leave him alone.  I loved the fact that the characters discussed these issues with each other, which will become much more relevant in the second collection of this series.  My only gripe with the Mr. Tinker plotline is that we don't spend that much time with Mr. Tinker before he is transformed back into Eggman.  It would be nice to see more story lines involving Mr. Tinker just to see how long he's been in that village after Eggman lost his memories.
  • And of course, we got the return of Metal Sonic!  It's been years since Metal Sonic has been in a Sonic the Hedgehog game and to see him take center stage in this series again was a pleasant surprise for me!  I was actually surprised that Metal Sonic took over in Dr. Eggman's absence and seeing him transform into the dragon creature he transformed into in Sonic Heroes was a great nostalgic trip for me!

Overall, I really enjoyed this collection!  Sure, I wished that they developed the world that the characters are in a bit more, but it's nice to have a well written Sonic the Hedgehog series for once!  Also, here's a question I want to ask:

WHY CAN'T THE SONIC GAMES BE WRITTEN LIKE THIS?

This collection is full of emotional moments and great character interactions that I wished that the games had incorporated and maybe hopefully, we will eventually have well written games again in the near future.

Here are some of my favorite images from this collection:

Spoiler

99bcb4d2cf4d01fc3da6a6fd37cf44ab.jpg

EHDAwp-X4AAIRHM.jpg

tumblr_inline_pix500IgVP1umvjyx_1280.jpg

wtumbl7zfkk31.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I hate to say it, but the first collection + metal virus was the series peak for me, and I haven't enjoyed the comics as much since. I guess I can somewhat credit that to being able to binge them all, but I also don't really get excited for the next issue nowadays.

Rabbitearsblog
15 minutes ago, charmsb said:

I hate to say it, but the first collection + metal virus was the series peak for me, and I haven't enjoyed the comics as much since. I guess I can somewhat credit that to being able to binge them all, but I also don't really get excited for the next issue nowadays.

I still need to get into the Metal Virus arc, but I'm definitely excited to dive into that!  I'm hoping that the series continues to do well.

10 hours ago, charmsb said:

Same, 100% agreed, but I'm not giving up, hopefully they pick up steam again.

Also, about the opening post opinions, I think this is a different take from this forum's users because you opinions are a bit more those of a casual Sonic fan than most people here. Anyway, I agree, season 1 was solid and I too wish the characters were written like this in the games!

Rabbitearsblog
5 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Same, 100% agreed, but I'm not giving up, hopefully they pick up steam again.

Also, about the opening post opinions, I think this is a different take from this forum's users because you opinions are a bit more those of a casual Sonic fan than most people here. Anyway, I agree, season 1 was solid and I too wish the characters were written like this in the games!

Yeah! It's a shame that the games themselves can't get any good writers to write the stories. If the stories from the games were written better, then the games would be a bit better off.

I never bothered reading sonic comics  until IDW Sonic was released.

At first, I gave it a chance because one the perks IDW promoted was about not diverging much from the source material. However, as new exclusive characters were introduced: say Tangle, Whisper, Starline, etc.  and develop as they get through the comic's plot events, is pretty hard to ignore how most of the game canon characters get stale in comparison. 

And It's not like the comic-only characters are better, in fact, all of them are quite silly, just like the main cast. Yet when they are on the spotlight doesn't feel like they just put them out of the fridge for a while, and then put them back in after they served their purpose. Now I believe If the comic becomes more Its own thing, It would be for the better, also more ambitious plots, instead of derivative arcs for fanservice and end up being a glorified promotional brand's content.

Nevertheless, now that are engaged in, hope you find it entertaining. For me, I think right now IDW sonic is a waste of time.

Rabbitearsblog
4 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I never bothered reading sonic comics  until IDW Sonic was released.

At first, I gave it a chance because one the perks IDW promoted was about not diverging much from the source material. However, as new exclusive characters were introduced: say Tangle, Whisper, Starline, etc.  and develop as they get through the comic's plot events, is pretty hard to ignore how most of the game canon characters get stale in comparison. 

And It's not like the comic-only characters are better, in fact, all of them are quite silly, just like the main cast. Yet when they are on the spotlight doesn't feel like they just put them out of the fridge for a while, and then put them back in after they served their purpose. Now I believe If the comic becomes more Its own thing, It would be for the better, also more ambitious plots, instead of derivative arcs for fanservice and end up being a glorified promotional brand's content.

Nevertheless, now that are engaged in, hope you find it entertaining. For me, I think right now IDW sonic is a waste of time.

Awww...sorry you're not enjoying it.  Maybe over time, the comic book series will become more creative with the story lines, if SEGA let's the writers do what they want.

It is what it is. I don't expect them to get out of the "villain of the week" story loop, like most 90's cartoon shows.

I want to point out the difference, 90s cartoons or shows didn't have an ongoing plot (unless you mean Power Rangers), this has tight continuity that focuses on big villain arcs, yeah. It's a choice, it's more similar to anime sagas or graphic novel formats.

I just want a cartoon/book that wastes more time on fun interactions and episodic plots.

Rabbitearsblog
41 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

I want to point out the difference, 90s cartoons or shows didn't have an ongoing plot (unless you mean Power Rangers), this has tight continuity that focuses on big villain arcs, yeah. It's a choice, it's more similar to anime sagas or graphic novel formats.

I just want a cartoon/book that wastes more time on fun interactions and episodic plots.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to do that type of storytelling somewhere down the line.