Awoo.

What would your ideal Sonic Comic look like?

Wraith

When I was younger, I used to want a more straightforward adaptation of the games. Now I think I've gotten to the point where I'm willing to accept Sonic Team's work there. Some of itis fine. Some of it is bad, and some of it is actually pretty good. I'm not too interested in seeing any of it, beat for beat, again. There are places I'd want the stories and characters to be expanded but wholesale adaptations don't sound super interesting to me at this point.

Instead I'd think I'd like a 'Sonic Universe' type series that was about filling in the cracks in the games, with stories that take place either during them with certain characters's perspectives used for dramatic/comedic effect or stories that take place between them that clarify some things. Have the freedom to not have Sonic in the driver's seat all, or even most of the time so that we can have entire arcs set on Blaze's world or in Silver's timeline. More dramatic stories like Shadowfall with cute stuff like Eggman's Birthday inbetween. Arcs that are strictly made on an "It's as long as it needs to be" basis that aren't constantly struggling to fit into some kind of template. IDW is kinda like this already but it's too shy about the games's history and laserfocused around the brand's star players over everybody else. This would be more like a companion piece to the games that isn't afraid to try a few different genres and tones, like a Chaotix driven mystery or something.

I'd also be alright with another, entirely different AU. I've always been fine with stuff like SATAM and the OVA, I just think the recent wave(Boom, the Movie) have been really boring as far as stretching the premise of the franchise to fit a different context. Let someone different have the IP and go nuts making an action series about Sonic and Eggman's struggle from scratch. I think this is one of the only ways to wring a really good long form story out of the brand since the games timeline is kinda crowded. Something that doesn't have to be shy about introducing new characters and developments.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just want something that fits in alongside the games (the ones I like anyway, I don't need something copying ShtH or Forces or whatever) and tells interesting stories with those characters and that world. IDW Sonic is the closest a comic's ever been to that but it's too weighed down by the games I don't like (did they really need to derive the setting directly from Forces and its aftermath?) and its own questionable decisions for me to be satisfied with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Post-Reboot Archie is probably the closest example to my ideal Sonic Comic. Its not almost completely divorced from the games like in the pre-reboot, but its also not slavishly following them to the letter either like IDW.

They had just enough creative freedom to tell good stories but still respected the foundation laid by the games.

IDW has the potential to be better, but I can't see that happening if Sega are constantly breathing down the creators' throats and since IDW is more directly connected to the games, they can't make any meaningful changes or progress that could potentially contradict them unless it's approved by Sega. Its way too corporate.

That's not to say Ian Flynn or Evan Stanley haven't been trying their best under these limitations, but that's always going to bother me.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 3

This is a great thread and topic, since everyone has their own idea of what they would like in a Sonic comic. I would like a mix of fun slice of life stories, 1 episode like short stories because those often bring out the most fun interactions from the cast, also adventure-like plots to explore new landscapes. A rotation cast, and sometimes throw in a multi-parter for a bigger arc. In graphic novel style. So yeah, a mix of episodic fun stories and major story arcs. 

This also works for my ideal Sonic cartoon. 

As for the setting, I really don't mind it being based off Modern Sonic and the games. It's my favorite continuity despite the games stories being a mess. Just don't be too faithful or the mandates will strike.

• Thumbs Up 1

A Shadow the hedgehog comic. That's darker (not edgy) than the main Sonic comics, could be non-canon so the writers might have more freedom on what can or can't happen like Kuzu mentioned before. 

They could take inspiration from Majora's Mask (my favourite Zelda game), dark themes, fleshed out characters and it had an excellent story. 

Or they could do a Link's Awakening - 

Spoiler

it was all a dream and they all have to wake up

Maybe SEGA will then give the writers more leeway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ideally, for the sonic's comics to ever spark my interest; The setting, characters and power dynamics has to be quite fleshed out, just like HunterxHunter does with its own setting.

I admit didn't read past the shitshow that was Metal Virus saga or Archie. But I'm pretty sure often most  random sci fi, gizmo tinkering or the dynamics of chaos magic are a bunch mumbo jumbo stuff that exist in a vacuum only to be materialized into a disposable resource in the comics to build part of an equally disposable plot. And It was already pointed out, the persistent elements are just recurring themes on the sonic games metaverse, such as forces events, Chao, Angel Island or the Wisps.

But not just pulling stuff out of thin air. I'd rather see the comics extend far further from the often crappily established elements from the source, just like the Restorarion HQ derived from what's settled in forces. For instance, back to drawing parallels with HxH, assume Chaos becomes a power system with its own ruleset as Nen: Sonic characters rise up as "Chaos" users and the way each of them grasp this would vary both in shape, magnitude and limitations that rely on their personality,talents,etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Essentially post-reboot Archie, but without any legal limitations or Sega mandates. So not only do past Archie-exclusive characters get incorporated into the new world, but they even have access to concepts from any other branch of the franchise, including Sonic the Comic, manga, etc.

Just like with anything about the reboot, concepts are extensively re-imagined, of course. There's plenty of lore from the pre-reboot Archie Sonic comics which needs to be altered significantly or abandoned entirely. For example, on a base conceptual level, the Dark Legion seems great to me - a group of evil cyborg echidnas? Sign me up! But the execution had plenty of issues. And the Dark Legion would be their own thing again totally separate from the Egg Army (i.e. "Dark Egg Legion" is strictly not a thing).

It's also rather important that we have the "old Chaotix" back, including Knuckles, Mighty, Ray, and Julie-Su (can't say I care too desperately about Saffron, though I wouldn't hate her being included either). To be clear, I don't think the post-reboot's way of doing things with Knuckles, Mighty and Ray, and the Chaotix being three separate entities is bad, it's just...the old version of the Chaotix (whether that be just with Mighty and Knuckles added, or with Ray and Julie-Su added too) is special to me in so many ways.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I'd like something that dives into Knuckles' character. He's spent a decade and a half surviving alone of an island with nothing but the ruins of a fallen society. Did he ever know his parents? Did he come into this world alone? How did he learn to speak or of his role as the Guardian? I'd love to get a story that focuses on that, maybe something that brings back Knuckles' friendship with the Chaotix? 

I'd like it to mostly be about his backstory and character but I like Knuckles having a villain of his own like Finitevus to drive the action and push the actual story forward.

I'd also have it embrace game concepts like rings, shields, Warp Rings and Star Posts.

• Thumbs Up 3

Post-Reboot Archie was essentially everything I wanted and then some when I didn’t know I had it.

It checks off everything:

-retooling old characters into new roles, particularly because the reboot made it necessary for some, and for others like Scratch, Grounder, Breezie, and Coconuts who hadn’t been seen in years being put to modern use with up to date designs. The Freedom Fighters, King Acorn, Prof. Von Schlemmer, etc.

-Solid worldbuilding: it could have been much better, I’ll admit. But we had defined settings, geographies, cultures, and factions within the world. I find things much better with more defined settings with places to explore and revisit, as well as unknown regions that we (supposedly) would have explore later on, mainly taking the setting of Unleashed and making it the main world the characters live in, with history among the factions within, rather than vague locals that we’re not really supposed to know where they’re located.

-It was welcoming to anything Sonic, whether it was from AoSTH, SatAM, to the games, along with new characters.

-And characters that would likely be deemed useless actually had better utility that even I didn’t think was possible, like Big the Cat joining the main cast (did not see that coming, but he was well utilized that I welcomed it). That and it brought back a few one-shots like Tikal and Chaos to play a role, even if minor, during the Unleashed adaptation.

My personal favorite was the Egg Bosses and Egg Army. Most Sonic media had Eggman strictly with machines, with maybe one living henchmen. Here, he still has his badniks, but now he has a semi-loyal following of flesh and blood, cybernetically enhanced minions and generals whose abilities go beyond what we normally see from his forces. From having his own Pikachu, to a contingent of Ninjas, Eggman had something he never really had anywhere else, the top dozen of which are basically his own personal supersoldiers at his beck and call (with some safeguards to prevent any possible betrayal).

Now, I can imagine something somewhat better than this, but as far as my ideal comic, Post-Reboot Archie was where it was for me. And it sucks it had to go the way it did, but IDW did provide somewhat of a glimpse in spirit to what it could have continued to be, even if it falls short.

If there was just ONE thing from Archie I’d bring back, a gun to the head choice, it would be the Egg Bosses. (They’re tied with Sally and the gang, but I have more hope on them returning in some fashion than Egg Bosses like Conquering Storm)

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Post-Reboot Archie was essentially everything I wanted and then some when I didn’t know I had it.

It checks off everything:

-retooling old characters into new roles, particularly because the reboot made it necessary for some, and for others like Scratch, Grounder, Breezie, and Coconuts who hadn’t been seen in years being put to modern use with up to date designs. The Freedom Fighters, King Acorn, Prof. Von Schlemmer, etc.

-Solid worldbuilding: it could have been much better, I’ll admit. But we had defined settings, geographies, cultures, and factions within the world. I find things much better with more defined settings with places to explore and revisit, as well as unknown regions that we (supposedly) would have explore later on, mainly taking the setting of Unleashed and making it the main world the characters live in, with history among the factions within, rather than vague locals that we’re not really supposed to know where they’re located.

-It was welcoming to anything Sonic, whether it was from AoSTH, SatAM, to the games, along with new characters.

-And characters that would likely be deemed useless actually had better utility that even I didn’t think was possible, like Big the Cat joining the main cast (did not see that coming, but he was well utilized that I welcomed it). That and it brought back a few one-shots like Tikal and Chaos to play a role, even if minor, during the Unleashed adaptation.

My personal favorite was the Egg Bosses and Egg Army. Most Sonic media had Eggman strictly with machines, with maybe one living henchmen. Here, he still has his badniks, but now he has a semi-loyal following of flesh and blood, cybernetically enhanced minions and generals whose abilities go beyond what we normally see from his forces. From having his own Pikachu, to a contingent of Ninjas, Eggman had something he never really had anywhere else, the top dozen of which are basically his own personal supersoldiers at his beck and call (with some safeguards to prevent any possible betrayal).

Now, I can imagine something somewhat better than this, but as far as my ideal comic, Post-Reboot Archie was where it was for me. And it sucks it had to go the way it did, but IDW did provide somewhat of a glimpse in spirit to what it could have continued to be, even if it falls short.

If there was just ONE thing from Archie I’d bring back, a gun to the head choice, it would be the Egg Bosses. (They’re tied with Sally and the gang, but I have more hope on them returning in some fashion than Egg Bosses like Conquering Storm)

Interesting how different some people's ideas on what a Sonic comic should be are. I prefer IDW to Post Reboot Archie.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd love a miniseries from the current crew focusing on Tails unraveling an interplanetary mystery. Feel like that'd be a nice way for the current crew to give him some love, especially given that Sonic Team really won't care about what they do with him.

Plot setup in simple: With Sonic/Blaze and Eggman duking it out for control of the Sol Dimension, responsibility for the main planet falls to his buddies from IDW (Jewel, Amy, Knux and possibly Shadow). This thus leaves Tails with nothing to do. However, a tsunami hitting Central City after Angel Island falls into the sea reveals a god-awful truth:

The Emeralds have gone missing. ALL OF THEM.

In their place is a longitude-latitude code written on the back of yesterday's newspaper: 42.3601° N, 71.0942° W. Inputting this to Mobius reveals nothing... but then Tails applies it to the data set of another planet. One which they've been banned from after a hellish, offscreen draining of all life during the Lost Hex crisis so long ago...

The results are exactly as he feared. The saving grace of Mobius... lies on Planet Earth. (MIT, to be precise.)

And only one fox, itching for something to do in Sonic's absence, volunteers to go.

His party includes Kit (Miles' new friend that no one else trusts) and then Cream, stowing away aboard his Space Tornado against her mother's wishes. Happy for the help, the three kids land in Boston and then get to work... unaware of the plot for multiversal dominance that the Institute's new guest lecturer, one Dr. Starline in the virology department, is cooking up next.

Flynn, Yardley, and Stanley present: IDW's Miles Prower. Issue #1 of 10 hits newstands summer 2022.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Universe. 

Every arc is a story that's self contained enough that it is readable without having read dozens of back issues. It revolves around a particular character and is meant to further develop that character. All of the stories may not happen in the same continuity but they are connected to the same Multiverse.

That solves the two biggest turn-offs I have with the last few versions of Sonic the Hedgehog.  

The first being that, increasingly, the story arc seemed to be the Long Road to Nowhere. 

The second? That I don't like Sonic as a character but do like the supporting SegaSonic cast enough to feel they can carry a story. 

• Thumbs Up 1

An IDW Sonic Universe imprint. Take the world from IDW, and give cool stuff to do to the secondary SEGASonic character. Add some spices. And with access to the complete Modern Sonic universe, to expand it a tad (without going all-out like in Post-Reboot when it was too much in too little time).

• Thumbs Up 2

Hard to say, because IDW Sonic is hitting all the sorts of sweet spots I'd want for a Sonic comic series to hit. I'll admit I was miffed that they picked up after Forces of all games, rather than establishing everything from a new and original story without having to carry that sort of baggage, but the idea of this comic possibly being canon by referencing these older games is fine with me. I'd like to see them retcon or fix up any continuity issues from previous games at some point, but short of adapting 15+ year old games, I don't know what else they'd do.

I guess if IDW or Archie didn't exist, my boring answer would be "adapt all of the stories from Sonic 1 onward and find creative ways to make as many games canon, even spinoffs and contradictory ones." But anyway, I'm happy with IDW Sonic as it is.

• Thumbs Up 3

image0.webp

image2.png

image1.png

It already existed

Really that's my boring answer, it's not perfect but post reboot Archie really just hit all the right spots for me, a big developed lived in world with a huge colorful cast having many unique adventures. Plenty of game character focus on top of characters from all walks of canonicity ON top of really solid original creations like the Egg Bosses, Relic the Pika and Fixit, etc.

If it weren't for shitty ass World's Unite wasting everyone's time and messing up the pacing of the ongoing Unleashed adaptation I'd call it almost perfect 

• Thumbs Up 6

Honestly most important things is simple "quality, be good". but that's not creating a discussing. So here are few bullet points

0) General "good things"
Just basic stuff everyone can agree on.
- Sega lays off mandates
- no half finished artwork
- no delays, etc.
- And of course more books. I feel 3 tittles would be optimal: Sonic, Shadow and Sonic Universe. Maybe with annual special for other continuities, like Boom or Classic Sonic. Of course more would be always better, but even Shadow comic is just a wild dream at this point.

1) Sega Sonic at center, everything else around it.
As much as I miss Archie, I'm glad focus is back on game characters, not Freedom Fighters. I just like this guys way more.
With that said games alone can be a bit bare. I still want to see Nicole or Sticks or Scourge.
So ideal scenario every single Sonic continuity would be used to make one huge and exiting universe. From Boom and Movies to Fleetway and OVA. Everyone's invited. Especially if we have more than 1 book.

2) More diversity in writing
We love Flynn, but I want other writers from time to time. Admittedly with only 1 book, even 4 months without Flynn felt like eternity, so it loops back to wanting more books. Like every second Sonic Universe arc could be by some new blood.

3) Bring Back "Off Panels"
I sometimes miss them

3) Crossover with My Little Pony
Hey, you asked for "ideal", so I'm indulging myself. Preferably as separate miniseries.

4) Take just a liiiittle more risks
I like the comic the way it is, and after Metal Virus I can't accuse Sonic of playing it safe. But I know that Sonic could been even more daring. We live in age of Steven Universe and Infinity Train, it would be amazing if Sonic dared to tell stories like that. And I know that Sonic is bigger IP and stuff, but Transformers "More Than Meets The Eye/Lost Light" exists and it was sublime

Now, all those points can be condensed into 2 thoughts
- General wanting MOOOOAR. Off Panel, other, tittles, crossovers, etc.
- Bigger diversity in writers, characters, themes, topics.... especially if we have MOAR. Because then we can spare few stories on taking risks.

Lastly, going too far with my wishes would be bad as well. If Sonic would have 12 tittles most of us wouldn't be able to afford them. And while I have gripes with writing, I like the current general tone and style. I would like Sonic to gently push the boundaries, not to cross them entirely. I don't Sonic to turn into Ultimate Marvel comics, where Spider-Man needs 8 issues to for his origin story.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ian did touch on this, the Team Dark idea at least, he said as long as there are these strict mandates for Shadow, he doesn't want to do that, he feels there wouldn't be much freedom, and right now he doesn't want to include Shadow in any stories, Evan on the other hand might try. Still, I would love it, if Shadow can be himself and not Vegeta. I don't think right now is the best moment, it would have made sense in Archie Sonic because there was a lot of set-up for GUN, with Snively and Madonna, etc. but sadly it was cancelled so, I don't think it would be a good idea right now since GUN or the human world haven't been touched at all.

If anything yeah, a human world focused book with Shadow, Team Dark and GUN? I would love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

0) General "good things"
Just basic stuff everyone can agree on.
- Sega lays off mandates

How about “Sega is more reasonable on mandates?”

Like, I can definitely agree on the haphazard application of them as well as strictness where it shouldn’t be necessary (*coughShadowcough*), but I feel that if they could allow room to the degree of not annoying the audience on the more common parts that this wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

It definitely makes things less risky, and I’m not hear to argue whether that’s good or bad—I personally dislike the lack of risk, mainly because the comics are the place where in the event things screw up, they can fix them much faster than mistakes and screw ups made in the games. It just takes a few months to get back on track with comics compared to years with the games, so they can afford to take risks here.

I’m reminded of Rouge in Treasure Team Tango of Pre-Reboot Archie where pretty much everyone was in agreement that her behavior was far too villainous than what she was known for—I could handle Rouge seeming to double cross folks, but being willing to let Blaze’s world perish for lacking a Sol Emerald was a step too far for Rouge to display. But it was addressed quickly in later issues with her not doing something that extreme again. (At least from what I remember—it’s been a while of me remembering a number of the pre-reboot arcs)

• Thumbs Up 1

There's pretty much nothing I think should be off the table conceptually if I had everything I wanted out of a Sonic narrative. I'd be happy to see something start at page one with Sonic 1 and expand the universe, using concepts from Archie, Fleetway, the old mangas, Sonic X and the like to fill out the world, characters and details. I don't even mean a straight adaptation of the games, just having the game stories as a framing device for bigger plots and character arcs, like the Shattered World saga did with Unleashed, but on a smaller scale. Post-Reboot Archie has a near-perfect tone and setting for the series, and whenever it said "see X Sonic game for where this thing comes from!" I found myself thinking "I want to read the comic where that happens".

The only sort of things I'd say don't belong in the series would be stuff that completely clashes with Post-Reboot Archie's tone and the modern sense of style for the series, or else are completely redundant. Like, we don't need the Neo Metal Troopers and the Brotherhood of Metallix in one series. We probably wouldn't have both Surge and Scourge (though obviously the ways they differ remain to be seen).

That's the thing about the Black Arms, or Adam and Mecha, or Ken Penders's cavalcade of echidnas. I don't think that any of them are necessarily unsalvagable concepts or inherently wrong for the series, they just need a lot of tweaking to make sense in the idiom of modern Sonic. Post-Reboot Archie showed us the most successful attempts at that. If they could make Witchcart and Von Schlemmer feel at home in a modern Sonic setting, I have no doubt that just about everything else in the series could be modified accordingly. Most of the time through artstyle (the British and American comics really did not get what aesthetic Sonic Team was going for), though I don't want a bunch of stuffy Phantom Menace political debates either.

I know "just do everything" is a clusterfuck waiting to happen, but I can't name a single thing that exists in the series as of now that I'd say "no, this thing and anything like it have no place in Sonic". Maybe if I was a 90s fan looking in when Shadow the hedgehog came out, but at this point, I think the premise and ideas of that game's plot were not especially abhorrent, just the execution. And the execution was terrible, don't get me wrong, I hate that game, but it would be wrong to take that as a rejection of everything it put forward. That's what SEGA is always criticized for, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 9/14/2021 at 3:36 AM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

How about “Sega is more reasonable on mandates?”

Like, I can definitely agree on the haphazard application of them as well as strictness where it shouldn’t be necessary (*coughShadowcough*), but I feel that if they could allow room to the degree of not annoying the audience on the more common parts that this wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

It definitely makes things less risky, and I’m not hear to argue whether that’s good or bad—I personally dislike the lack of risk, mainly because the comics are the place where in the event things screw up, they can fix them much faster than mistakes and screw ups made in the games. It just takes a few months to get back on track with comics compared to years with the games, so they can afford to take risks here.

I’m reminded of Rouge in Treasure Team Tango of Pre-Reboot Archie where pretty much everyone was in agreement that her behavior was far too villainous than what she was known for—I could handle Rouge seeming to double cross folks, but being willing to let Blaze’s world perish for lacking a Sol Emerald was a step too far for Rouge to display. But it was addressed quickly in later issues with her not doing something that extreme again. (At least from what I remember—it’s been a while of me remembering a number of the pre-reboot arcs)

Fair enough, some mandates should stay. Just get loosened

Honestly, Treasure Team Tango was one of best SU arcs ever and this was probably biggest problem with it. Which is a shame, becuase Rouge rrrreally needs scenes where she is a villain. Just not, you know, letting world die sort of villain. And it's even weirder because Rouge isn't stealing gem for herself, but for GUN. So what, now GUN is okay with murdering neighbor dimension?

I mean, it could been fixed so easily. Flynn just had to write so Rouge doesn't know about Sol Dimension dying till like part 4. Then she will pretend she doesn't care because she has a reputation to uphold, but makes it so Blaze does get her gem. It could all be revealed by the end in private conversation with Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Rouge isn't a villain though, so having her act like one makes no sense. Even at her most selfish, she's not willing to cross certain lines.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Sonic and Power Rangers crossover. That's it. Boom and IDW make that and it's the perfect comic for me. Especially if Sonic and friends become Power Rangers themselves like the Ninja Turtles did.

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA to actually acknowledge it and incorporate elements back into the games (for more than just promotional purposes), for one thing. I feel like multiple comic series would be the best; we’d have a “main” comic of course, but there would also be continuations of past continuities, if only to bring each of those to a satisfying end point. Classic and Dreamcast comics, as some manner of “special”, could work, but ideally, content from every era of the series could pop up in that “main” comic. Heck, look into buying the Archie cast, or even Archie as a whole, to get those characters SEGA failed to secure back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, Kuzu said:

Rouge isn't a villain though, so having her act like one makes no sense. Even at her most selfish, she's not willing to cross certain lines.

She was in Sonic Battle and Sonic X, to an extend. She's not a full on villain, but she is a thief and should have grey morality. That's when she's most interesting. Otherwise she's just Team Dark's Amy Rose.

IDW 32 was a great example of lost opportunity. Rouge I know wouldn't willingly give back Jewel's collection she just stole. But she could for example leave it if she decided rescuing Omega is more important.
Or for more humorous effect, Rouge could been caught in act by Jewel, but she would think Rouge really did planned to give them back. maybe even reward her with one of the gems and Rouge couldn't bring herself to finish the theft. (In Flynn's defense I image there simply wasn't enough pages)

• Thumbs Up 2