Awoo.

Your Favorite Fictional Characters

Thirsty Pocket

Alright! ONE MORE TIME NOW!

mqwaf.png

"I am vengeance! I am the night! I am..."

Batman (DCAU version)

You all know the guy. Crime Alley. Mr. and Mrs. Wayne. 8-years-old boy. A criminal. Two shots are fired. Dead Parents. Batman.

This is my favourite incarnation of the character. Dark, misterious, stoic. But at the same time, still a man. He fights using his brain against people like Killer Croc. He never gives up, even against physical gods like Darkseid. He is not just the hero of Gotham City. HE IS GOTHAM. He knows every secret of the city, and if you're a criminal, you'd better move to Star City. At least, Green Arrow will knock you unconscius before you need a new pair of pants. Because criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot. And he knows it. But you may think: "Geez, Phantom Nald, it seems like you're describing every version of Batman ever. Why only the animated version?". It's simple, my friend; the DCAU took every good part of the DC mythos in a blender and made that little gem called Batman:TAS. This Batman is not perfect: while corageuos, cunning, and intelligent, he is also...well...kind of a dick to every person close to him. Don't you believe me? Watch Batman of The Future: Return of the Joker, and then tell me otherwise. There is something tragic in seeing an Old Bruce Wayne abandoned by every one after spending his career as a simbol of Justice. But he also has a big heart. Just look at his relationship with the Robins: he is not what we may call "Greatest Father Ever", right, but you can see the fatherly love. Also, I simply adore his period in the Justice League and his relationship with Superman, Flash and Wonder Woman. The JL cartoon made sure to show Batman's insecure personality. He never opens his heart, but you can see that, deep down, that is the thing he desires the most. This is one of the heroes of my childhood, and I will always remember the afternoons spent waiting for a new episode of his cartoon. To quote the italian opening "He is so rapid, so cunning, so righteous, he fights with loyalty, obstinacy and cleverness". He is vengeance, he is the night. You know the name.

Edited by Phantom Nald
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

I cannot believe that I skipped-over this topic and never posted in it blink.png

I'm sure bumping is allowed as long as the topic can be contributed towards right?

So let me begin smile.png

Rarity the Pony

20110730233653!Rarity.jpg

The thing I love about Rarity is that she's classy, refined and fashionable as well as pretty by pony standards. An elegant and 'posh' mare so to say. Yet contrary to media's propensity for portraying refined and posh female characters as being unlikeable bitches and snobs, Rarity has a genuine heart of gold.

She's hard-working, very friendly and generous, the latter true to her element of harmony. Sure she can be melodramatic and irritating regarding her occasional whingeyness but you know, that just serves to make her an interesting character. She's eager to please and make people feel good about themselves regardless of the load she has to bear or what she has to sacrifice i.e Making sure customers of her boutique are absolutely 100% satisfied with what she provides them with, making sure her costumes for the show when she was a filly stand-out even more than they do already and even cutting off her own tail so that a dragon could replace his mustache that was cut-off by Nightmare Moon and looking ravishing again.

She's my favourite out of the Mane Six by quite the margin. And she has a really elegant design too.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic_Unleashed_Review.jpg

Sure he's not getting the portrayals that do his character justice any more, not by a longshot and has portrayals that are downright loathesome i.e Archie, Fleetway, Chronicles but they can't knock Sonic out of the position of most favoured fictional character of all time for me. Irony is that I never used to give a damn about Sonic before SatSR, whilst I didn't hate him in any way, I didn't find him particularly interesting either. He was just....there.

I don't think Sonic's boring. His writing has not been inferior to anyone else's except Eggman because it's cut from the same cloth and everyone else has been turned into parodies of themselves anyway i.e Tails the self-entitled walking toolkit, Knuckles the asshat buttmonkey, Amy the bitchy pink terror etc. I find him to be a fascinating character; Selfless yet selfish sometimes, mostly cool yet sometimes prone to short-temperedness, arrogant, obstinate and prone to acting irrationally sometimes yet a character who deeply values his friends and allies and has a genuine heart of gold, kind, gentle and forgiving. The Storybook series and Unleashed to a lesser extent brought Sonic to life for me when he didn't used to interest me much and set-in-stone my immense liking of everything about him.

Can't forget his simple yet eternally classic timeless design and amazing physical abilities.

Laguna Loire

LagunaAlt012.png

Best. Final Fantasy character. EVER.

Laguna served as such a refreshing contrast to Squall throughout Final Fantasy VIII. He's so incredibly endearing especially when it comes to his interactions with his friends Kiros and Ward (Interesting fact; Their interactions were based off-of Square's interactions during the game's development). He's a clumsy klutz with the directional reasoning capacity of a drunk Roronoa Zoro and he has issues regarding the ladies, getting crippling cramps when face to face with Julia Heartilly yet like the other two examples of favourite characters, he has a heart of gold. Just look at the hardship he was prepared to endure when Esthar kidnapped Ellone, going after the little girl no matter what so that she wouldn't endure a horrid fate, how he took upon the duty of cleaning-out Winhill of monsters when no one else was around to do so.

Laguna lost not one love but two due to circumstances way beyond his control and you can't help but feel sorry for the man. He never even knew that he had a son and couldn't get away from his presidential responsibilities to even visit his wife's grave. His backstory is quite interesting and character memorable.

Oh. And his battle theme song is pure awesomesauce

• Thumbs Up 6

201656.jpgnight-dragon-vorfeed-foto.jpg

Canal Volphied, you wouldn't know it at first sight, but she snapped me out of some very deep issues with her looks, compassionate personality (at times) and pulchritudinous voice in the Lost Universe anime.

Edited by Lime/Parvati-Pai/Key

I have 7 favourites: -

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles - Like most of us, I enjoy these 3 guys because of what they do best, Sonic for his running and being the cool dude that he is, Tails for his loyalty, passion for machinery and overall brains of the operation and Knuckles for his heart and desire for his beliefs that nothing will get in his way. When the 3 are together they work so well nothing can stop them saving the world from disaster.

post-6084-0-85174700-1373925831_thumb.jp

Danger Mouse and Penfold: - Some people may or may not know these 2 but I loved DM and Penfold when I was growing up, the cartoon was pure comedy gold, the animation was simple but effective and everyone could watch it. DM was the brave leader, saving the world from the Baron and his evil schemes, and would do anything to prevent the world from getting into the wrong hands. Penfold while seeming to be the scaredy cat was brave when he needed to be and loyal to DM and offered a helping hand and suggestion no matter how stupid it sounded. Together they ensured evil had no place in the world and ensured the Baron and the others plans failed week in week out.

post-6084-0-11026500-1373926180_thumb.jp

Timon and Pumbaa: - Alot of my life is based on these 2 chaps as they appear in my favourite animated film of all time. I just love how they were paired up together and their motto "Hakuna Matata" still is a phrase I turn to in modern life. Timon acts like the brains and acts like the knowledgable one but even though sometimes he can be selfish he always learns that the friendship he has with Pumbaa is priceless. Pumbaa may act stupid but is very intelligent whilst gullible at some points he always looks out for his best friend Timon and together they live the Hakuna Matata lifestyle and enjoy every minute of it.

post-6084-0-78224800-1373926489_thumb.jp

Alright, if my avatar and signature weren't enough, here's one of my favorite characters.

Bass2%20copyright%20line-220x.jpg

Yeah. It's Bass/Forte (whichever one you prefer, but I like both just fine) from the Mega Man series.

It's weird, I'm still not sure why I like this guy. I've never been into character archetypes like him regarding the whole 'dark rival' or 'anti-hero' trope. Plus, he's pretty much the Mega Man equivalent of Vegeta in which he's supremely arrogant and obsessed with becoming the strongest, which also never struck any interest from me. But upon seeing how limited the MM cast is regarding how very black and white it's characters are, being that there are either purely good (Rock, Light, etc.), purely evil (Wily) or appeared bad at first but are ultimately good (Cossack and Proto Man). Bass doesn't fall into any of these categories since he's more of a wild card in which while his selfish motives come off as evil, he's not really what you'd call puppy-kicking evil nor 'a rival who becomes good upon defeat' like Blues was. He'll even put aside his rivalry with Mega Man when they have a common foe or someone tries to get in the way of his goal. While his personality may be pretty much what you'd expect from any rival, it still makes him enjoyable to watch for me. His manga portrayal is batshit crazy though. O.O

As for his Battle Network counterpart (who is not pictured) he's fairly cool I guess. While he definitely carries the original's personality all the way, he more or less embodies what turns me off from dark rivals to begin with. He's basically the original if you slapped a tragic backstory giving him a more cold/angsty outlook on life. This is a good idea, since it'd be extremely lazy to rehash the same origin story. It actually kind of works for me at least since it is easier to feel sorry for him and his somewhat justified reason for hating humans. He was blamed for an incident he didn't commit and left for dead by the very humans he trusted when it was really just an big, unfortunate misunderstanding. All he has done since that time is survive with what he has and it all just fueled his lust for power and desire for revenge. This is why he believes bonds and relying on others for strength are useless, plus being the first independent Net-Navi who doesn't need an operator will add to his inability to ever learn why it's important. He also carries that cliché with most anti-heroes in which he eventually gets amnesia. Which is rather a shame, since he never gets an important role in the later games besides being the 'powerful post-ending boss in a secret area' when it could have lead to something else. Okay, maybe not something like ShtH in which he gets his own game and more unnecessary backstory, but it still feels very unresolved regarding his arc and any potential character development he could've had. 

So yeah, Bass. He's alright.

• Thumbs Up 3

Been meaning to post on this thread for a while now.

1. Absol (Pokémon)

359Absol.png

You can tell just by looking at this design that he's just awesome. The fact that it leaps down from the summits of icy mountains to warn villagers of approaching doom that it can sense with its horn just makes it seem cooler. Oh, and speaking of that horn, it's sharp enough to cut clean slices of metal and rock. They have great percison in battles. I'm not making this up, you can check this on Bulbapedia. They're also known to be quiet and observant. I'm not sure what else to say about this tough ol' guy. As you can tell, he's one of my favorite Pokémon. Here's a Pokédex entry from Emerald:

"It sharply senses even subtle changes in the sky and the land to predict natural disasters. It is a long-lived Pokémon that has a life-span of 100 years."

Absol is probably my second favorite Pokémon.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic, Raiden, Casshern, the main trio from TTGL(Simon, Kamina, and Yoko), and Mega Man Zero.

Shadow, Maria, Gerald, Knuckles, Rouge, Sonic.

From other series, there's Yoshi from Mario, Midna and Vaati from Zelda, James McCloud from Starfox, Mewtwo and Team Rocket from Pokemon, and I'm sure there are many more... just can't think of them on the top of my head.

Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog)

The man with the plan, and still my Sonic character, favorite villain, and overall favorite character of all time. What more can be said that hasn't been said already? Eggman's awesome.

Wario (Super Mario Bros. / Wario franchise)

A consistent regular on my list, Wario is an over-the-top, greedy jerk of a human being. And I love him for it. His endless pursuit of riches and comically callous demeanor make him a ton of fun.

Rarity (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Rarity is a surprisingly complex twist on the "rich fashionista" trope, which is usually relegated to two-bit villains in girls' cartoons. Instead, she's a kind - though realistically flawed - individual, and in my opinion is the best-written character in the entire show. She does succumb to vanity and greed, but those flaws only show how human she is, and even at her worst, she (usually) does the right thing. ...Like the other examples, her being really funny at times also helps.

Dr. Albert Wily (Megaman)

Dr. Wily's pretty similar to Eggman, so it's no surprise that I became a fan of his. Hammy, over-the-top demeanor? Check. Ability to still be an intimidating enemy despite the aforementioned ham? Check. Surprising moments of heartwarming kindness? Check. (See: Wily saying that he loves his robots in Super Adventure Rockman, and leaving behind the Roboenza cures in Megaman 10) Wily's great, and I've loved seeing him and Eggman interact with each other in the recent comic crossover event.

Kogoro Mouri (Detective Conan)

Also known as Richard Moore of Case Closed in the Funimation dub, Kogoro is another great character. See, Kogoro's kind of like an onion of competence; He appears to be a great detective on the surface, but in reality isn't as great as he appears to be, but deeper than that, he regularly does prove himself to be a competent detective after all - often completely independent of anyone's help. That's one of the things I love about Kogoro; He manages to be a comic-relief character with occasional, brief moments of unexpected yet awesome skill as an investigator.

Koichi Zenigata (Lupin III)

Zenigata is an Interpol detective bent on capturing the world-famous thief, Lupin the Third; He's also possibly the most unflappably persistent man alive. Like Kogoro above, Zenigata is usually a bit of a bumbler (against Lupin at least), but regularly reminds viewers that he's an ace cop by being able to hold his own against most other criminals he takes on. In this way, it's not that Zenigata's bad, just that Lupin's really good at evading the police - even an expert like Zenigata. I rather like his respectful rivalry with Lupin as well, and the two have had some pretty amazing team-ups over their long history. As a bonus, he and Kogoro get to meet and work together in Lupin vs. Conan.

Dick Gumshoe (Ace Attorney)

I like Gumshoe for many of the same reasons I like Zenigata; "Bumbling detective that still manages to come through in a pinch" basically. His developing friendship with Phoenix and Maya (whom he started out rather antagonistic toward) is really believable, and along with his close friendship with Edgeworth, it's one of my favorite relationships in the series. Gumshoe has a lot of heart, and even after suffering defeats and the occasional pay cut, he's still ready to do his best. His little crush on Maggie is also pretty adorable.

Dr. Drakken (Kim Possible)

While Eggman and Wily are certainly amusing, Drakken seems more like a deliberate parody of the supervillain archetype. He's a great sendup of all the things I love about comical bad guys, while still getting enough personality and development to be genuinely likable. His interactions with Shego in particular are some of the best parts of the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's another one from me.

185px-2509314-turtle360.jpg

Leonardo of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (mostly his 2K3 incarnation but also like the other ones).

This was kind of a tough one for me. Though I love each Turtle for his unique quality, if I had to choose one that stood out the most for me, it'd had to be the de facto leader of the group. I like Leo for his dedication to not only his skills of ninjitsu, but to being a good, upstanding older brother. He is very honorable, level-headed, well-disciplined, and is a decisive strategist, all of which makes him an effective leader for his brothers.

What ultimately sealed the deal of his badassery for me was, "The Shredder Strikes Back, Part 1," which greatly showed how well-trained he is as he gets constantly ambushed by Foot soldiers and defeats each and every one. All by himself. While he eventually meets his match at the end, he still put up a pretty damn good fight.

His development in the 4th Season is somewhat of a mixed bag though. He had to deal with failure and becomes frustrated for failing to save his family when they were at near death in effort to defeat Shredder. It made him strive to be better, but also made him more stern and cold. Great concept, however, I will admit it could've been more well-executed and less up in the viewer's face about it. But despite that, it was all the more exciting to see him finally find peace, return home to his family, and to kick some ass again (particularly Karai's since she kinda destroyed their lair while he was away).

So yeah, Leo. While I do enjoy his more younger portrayal in the Nick series, my first exposure to TMNT was the 2K3 series, and it's version of Leo will always be fondly remembered for me.

Edited by DarkLight

• 2 months later...

20r8kds.jpg

Today I'm going to live up to my username and talk about Eevee.

If Eevee wasn't able to evolve into multiple forms, each one a different type, it wouldn't be anything special. Just the typical cute-looking Normal type who's not bad in battle. It would've just been a novelty Pokémon you'd catch and stuff in your PC, never giving it a second thought.But since it can, it's utterly unique. Anyone who's ever filled up the Pokédex back in the day playing Red or Blue (Mew doesn't count) is familiar with Eevee because, out of the 151 at the time (and out of over 700 today,) Eevee stood out among the rest because it was the only Pokémon IN THE HISTORY OF EVER that could evolve into different forms with different types.

If you were trying to fill up the Pokédex, putting this guy in the Daycare with a Ditto was the easiest option. Female Eevee(s) encountered in the wild are incredibly rare, and the female Pokémon in the Daycare would lay an egg the same species as herself, so putting a male Eevee in with a Pokémon that wasn't a Ditto wasn't an option. Eevee(s) in general were hard to find, so catching several and evolving them one by one would take some time. The easiest solution was to shove the cutie pie in the Daycare with Ditto, and evolve the offspring as it produces them. It was a pain in the butt, but we didn't hold it against the guy because that ability is really cool and some of the eeveelutions look badass. (*cough*Umbreon*cough*)

So you see, Eevee isn't just adorable, it also has lots of potential.

TL;DR JUST YOU FUCKING LOOK AT THAT PRECIOUS LITTLE MOTHERFUCKER AND FUCKING ME THAT HE ISN'T ONE OF A FUCKING KIND, MOTHERFUCKER.

Edited by SheWhoTrickOrTreatsTooMuch

Speaking of Eevee, Sylveon weaseled it's way into being my favorite Pokemon period.

Pokemon-Amie-Sylveon-screenshot-200x200.

Look at that adorable guy.

87.5% of Sylveon's are male.

Look at that one there. Chances are,  He's a fair laddy.

Isn't he fabulous?

In fact my Sylveon is male and carries the name "Sweetpea" and he bears it proudly. He's so fabulous that lady Pokemon swoon for him a sizable percentage of the time if they strike him directly.

Because he has maximum affection in Amie, he has a pair of balls despite looking like a girly fairy and scores more critical hits, has a penchant for enduring hits that would take him out and will even pull-through such nasty afflictions as poison, paralysis or even sleep in order to 'not worry me'

That's right, Sweetpea the Sylveon is so ballsy even unconsciousness can't dull his sense of loyalty.

Seriously though, the Sylveon species is absolutely adorable, is inherently loyal due to the method of evolution required to attain them and as a result is teeming with charm. And did I mention how they can make Dragons shit themselves? It's hidden ability Pixilate + Hyper Beam + Inherently decent special attack + Immunity to Dragon-type moves + Misty Terrain reducing Dragon type moves power by 50% against allies = Dragon pwnage, something that was six generations overdue.

Sylveon is the best Eeveelution. Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon and Glaceon can all go home.

tumblr_mo8tzgNokA1qh99dlo1_r1_500.jpg

"You guys called me what now?"

Might as well continue the Pokémon train:

*there's meant to be a Genesect pic here but for some reason it's not letting me put it here so pretend there's one here shhhhhhhhhhh*

Just look at this sleek sexy deadly-looking sonofabitch.

This guy is BOSS. He looks so sharp and deadly-looking. He has a fucking CANNON on his back. That uses OUTDATED FORMATS to change the type of laser he fires. So WHAT if only four of said formats exist and only one of them is useful?! And those eyes.

Those souless, eerie, unatural red eyes.

And that manic grin, forever frozen on his face.

Oh yeah, and this guy looks like the anti-Mewtwo. Badass all round. Mighty fine work for a guy named Dudley.

Also lets pretend M16 didn't fuck up this glorious killing machine mkay?

Edited by Satan Attaxx

Zuko.png

God, I love Zuko.

He really is the strongest character out of an entire series FULL of strong characters. This kid gets put through so much hell. Arguably moreso than the protagonist(And trust me, Aang gets put through a LOT of hell...). He's written so well that his slow evolution from straight up villain into badass hero is so believable that I never a single action of his. He never felt like he was suddenly jumping from one side of the other. It's a series wide evolution that's a joy to watch.

Wan.png

Wan is another character from the Avatar series that's incredible. He wasn't introduced until recently, but he blew my mind with how real he felt and well written he was in 2 episodes when they still don't seem to have a solid foundation for the ACTUAL main character a season and a half into the damn show. He's the best character in The Legend of Korra by far. Unfortunately, our time with him was short...

Edited by Fierce Deity

Since we're talkin' bout Pokemon:

Ursaring and Pangoro. Both for the same reason, that adore these big cuddly grumpy-faced bears. And of course Pancham too.

I have a fondness for chubby Pokemon, so other favourites include Charizard, Blastoise, Pignite and Emboar, Snorlax, Croconaw and Feraligatr, Zangoose, Pysduck, Krookodile, Excadrill.

• 2 years later...

LIVE THREAD LIVEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Batman-Top-10.jpg

Batman (DCAU)

"WTF, Y U NOT DOING NIGHTWING, YOU'RE LIKE KNOWN FOR NIGHTWING GODDAMN IT" 

Alright, yeah, if there was any member of the bat family I should be talking about, the obvious one would have been Nightwing. So let's take the not so obvious choice and go with the DCAU's version of Batman.

Now what sets this Batman apart from the fifty million other versions of Batman out there for me personally? Well, how about the fact that Kevin Conroy voices him and he's the best Batman out there? Alright, but moving onto an actual reasoning for it, I just really prefer how much BTAS and the DCAU in general added onto Batman's character to make their version a truly stand out version among other versions.

The story is still the same, Gotham City is a city engulfed in crime, and after the tragic murder of The Waynes by a common thug, Bruce Wayne is determined to train himself up to not only stop crime, but strike fear into the hearts of all criminals. Same old same old right? Well, being honest, one of the things that I do like about this Batman is while he's still the same moody dark protector of Gotham, he shows much more care, and emotions to his actual comrades, and it really does show a new side to The Dark Knight. Seeing Bruce Wayne still able to have witty replies to Alfred's sarcastic jokes, or being able to let out a sly smile, or talk to his teammates as friends shows a new side to him. 

Take Justice League Unlimited for example and compare it to the recent EndGame storyline found in the New 52. There, Batman talks about his teammates in a way that's only talking about how Superman Vs Batman is an age old question, and the real answer is nobody ever wins. Compare that to the This Little Piggy episode of Unlimited where Batman actively does everything he can to save Wonder Woman after she's turned into a pig, and even lets out a little smile when Diana teases him. It's great because it shows some actual real friendship between these characters, rather than just a "Oh, superheroes helping each other out, that's cool I guess." 

I like how this version of Batman will commend his teammates and compliment them on their skills, especially with stuff such as Batman telling Flash and Martian Manhunter how it was an honor to work with them. It shows that Batman does really deeply care about his teammates, and while he might not admit it, he considers them all valued and trusted friends.

And Mask of the Phantasm even added a whole new layer to the Batman mythos by revealing that Bruce had a chance at happiness and was being tortured, believing that he was destined to be unhappy due to promising his parents to avenge them, to the point where Bruce goes to their tombstone and begs them to allow him to be happy. Him and Andrea were going to be happy together, but in true Batman fashion, tragedy strikes the dark knight. In fact, if there was ever a song that I thought matches the movie, and Batman in general, it'd be this: 

Oh, and also, I just love how much of a smartass Batman can be in this sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Compare that to the This Little Piggy episode of Unlimited where Batman actively does everything he can to save Wonder Woman after she's turned into a pig, and even lets out a little smile when Diana teases him. It's great because it shows some actual real friendship between these characters, rather than just a "Oh, superheroes helping each other out, that's cool I guess." 

Which brings me to another thing I liked about DCAU Batman. (By the way, thanks for the like, Ryan. The fact that that post I made 3 and a half years ago never got any attention always broke my heart.)

The writers made sure to have some laughs at his expense, every once in a while. For example...here's what Batman had to do in the end to save Wonder Woman.

And who could forget this moment with the Creeper.
tumblr_lyjphhtfMf1qhq7bco1_400.gif
Edited by Naldush Repulsa
  • Thumbs Up 1

Large image

Lime.full.146437.jpg

We all know I love Lime. She's comically/adorably naive, she gives hugs, she has very human fears and feelings. Her bubbly cuteness is therapeutic and my niece reminds me of her. She also learned to accept her negative feelings early on, something most people struggle with. It would be fair to say I look up to a kid in a way.

• Thumbs Up 2

-Sonic The Hedgehog.

-Princess Sally Acorn.

-Amy Rose.

-Sonia Hedgehog (From Sonic underground).

-Mickey Mouse.

-Minnie Mouse.

-Lola Bunny.

-Bugs Bunny.

-Xena

-Batman.

-Dr Who

And many more.

You mean besides Sonic? :o

Well, I love Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer, they're my favorites in MLP: FiM. c:

Fox McCloud has also always been one of my favorites, same with Goku from DBZ.

I really can't think of much more right now..strange isn't it? I know I have a ton of favorite characters, but I can only think of 4 right now. :wacko:

Hm... well, besides Sonic (as in the franchise, not the character), when I was into the Resident Evil franchise, Leon was my favourite character. But that's it.

OOOOOOoooh, I have one!

AOS+Clark.png

Clark Kent / Superman (The Adventures of Superman)

I like Superman in general, but the version of him played by George Reeves is my all-time favorite, so it's what I'll mainly be talking about in this post. (Note: I sometimes generically call him "Clark" without reference to either identity in particular, so don't get confused.)

To some, Superman will never be interesting due to his nearly flawless morals and overpowered nature, and even I have to admit that there are versions of him that really don't interest me that much. But the version played by George Reeves in the 1950s television show is a whole different story.

Who and what is Superman? To many people and in many versions, Superman is an alien with a naive sense of morality who's essentially alone and apart, detached from humanity due to the fact that "he's not one of us". He does what he does basically just because he's so "Boy Scouty", and he really doesn't feel like much of a real person. Clark Kent is a mostly meaningless and pointless identity who is portrayed with very little depth, maybe played up for laughs because of how bumbling he is.

George Reeves' Clark is as far from this interpretation as can be, and yet while completely fulfilling what being Superman traditionally means - better than most, in my personal opinion. On the surface, it may seem silly to find depth or interest in this character. He comes from an old TV show mostly directed towards kids with a ridiculously black-and-white, good vs. evil view of the world and a million plot holes per episode. I'm not going to deny that this show and this character are silly in some ways, and yet, somehow, he manages to be surprisingly meaningful to me. The best way to describe it is that Reeves brought Superman to life. He made him feel real to me. He may be exceptionally good and decent, but in the truest sense of the word, he really is a human being. He's so deeply involved, and so deeply caring, about our lives and our problems. He truly is one of us.

He's not some distant, godlike figure. In this version, the Clark Kent side is very important and genuine, a highly competent "crime-busting" reporter, and a great friend to other Daily Planet staff members. It oftentimes seems as though being the reporter Clark Kent is really Superman's "main" life, and that he just brings out Superman to deal with situations he encounters that he couldn't handle otherwise. I must admit, there are times when I do wish his Clark was a little more, well, mild-mannered, as sometimes he comes across as being exactly as assertive as Superman, but even with that being said, this has to be my favorite version of him. I honestly usually think of this version of Superman as being Clark Kent first and Superman second, which is sort of interesting since that's supposed to be a more modern innovation.

I used to think that Superman fighting normal criminals was necessarily boring, but this show made me see things in a very different light. Sure, showing Superman going hand-to-hand with criminals is not exactly an interesting conflict, but that's not the primary conflict. The primary conflict is oftentimes Clark or Superman doing investigative work and solving the mystery. I absolutely love showing the character's abilities as an investigative journalist rather than just focusing on his powers. And perhaps most importantly of all, it really feels as though Superman really cares about and is addressing people's real, nitty-gritty problems, which I find more compelling than him just taking down distant supervillains disconnected from everyday life.

This version of the character is much more than a superhero. He's an actively involved member of the community. He knows and cares about the problems Metropolis has, and always does whatever he can to help in both of his identities. Even more than that, he's a great friend. We can see clearly that he deeply cares about Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and Perry White as his friends. The four of them almost have a family-like dynamic. Clark seems like he's really "one of the gang", not disconnected by the "reality" of him being Superman.

This version of the character truly connects with and cares about others in an amazing way. It's SO much more satisfying than him just being some godlike, distant figure. The character's incredible goodness and decency feels so very genuine and believable. And it's just so refreshing to have a character who's simply a genuinely good person. Someone who you can really look up to.

The amazing thing about this Clark's goodness is that he feels like such a real person too. He displays such genuine emotion. He has great charm and a bit of a twinkle in his eye, even sometimes winking at the audience, but at the same time can handle situations with such seriousness as well. One thing I love about this version is that he gets genuinely angry about things. He doesn't just do things in this cloyingly Boy Scouty way, and you can better understand why he does the things he does since he shows a clear emotional investment in the people he cares about.

He displays a broad spectrum of emotions, but they are often appropriately subdued. When he's angry, he doesn't go around punching things. When he's upset, he doesn't melodramatically scream at the sky. Instead, you get an incredible, genuine sense of emotional intensity.

Perhaps one of my favorite, subtle things about this character is the way that, as Clark Kent, he sometimes seems mysteriously somber. It's such a small thing that, to me, adds a level of depth that few other versions of the character seem to have. It's especially interesting considering that he doesn't seem to display this as Superman. There is never really any exploration of this, it's just something in the background that makes you wonder what it's really like to be Superman...whether it's really what it seems to be. Especially since he seems to be living such a happy and fulfilling life. Maybe deep down, he knows that he'll never solve every problem, but he's not moping about. He just knows it to be true, since this version of the character doesn't have the naivete that others possess. Honestly, it really rings true for me since I firmly believe in doing the right thing and trying to be helpful, but deep down feel like the world will never really change.

...So yeah. That's how I feel about a goody-two-shoes, overpowered character from a 1950s children's television program. I just love him. :D He honestly means a lot to me, as weird as that is. George Reeves' version of Superman really exemplifies what I think he should be, what's truly best, most inspiring, and most compelling about the character. As silly as the show may be, as silly as these feelings be, I hope that, deep down, I never truly get over him.

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch
  • Thumbs Up 2