Awoo.

Thoughts on RWBY?

BLUzCLUz

I've that same relationship with RWBY than with Homestuck. It has extremely good things, but at some moment I want to facepalm. In both I'm not really a fan of the beggining and prefer how it go with time (yeah, I find the first three season really well animated, but I don't really love the writing, that I find kinda sub-par), but it's really inequal. In a way, it's really "internet-y" in its writing.

I liked the last season tho, seeing Ironwood falling into more and more paranoia was really interesting, and the whole question about keeping the truth was nice too.

RWBY kinda have the tendencies to open too much plotline that we don't know if they'll be really solved, tho. And that's maybe one of my biggest complaint about the show.

22 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

RWBY kinda have the tendencies to open too much plotline that we don't know if they'll be really solved, tho. And that's maybe one of my biggest complaint about the show.

From what I can tell, that usually seems to be more the result of how they handle their plotlines, in that they don't really remind us too often about past events until those events become relevant again. Like how the Silver Eyes were mentioned at the beginning of the first Volume, but didn't get attention drawn to it against until the end of Volume 3, and then don't become prominent again until Volume 5's end onwards.

A lot of other shows (especially the anime this show is inspired by) tend to be very blunt and hammer in these kinds of plot points over and over again with a lot of reminders of their plot-importance in dialogue or lengthy monologues/mental thoughts, so it can sometimes seem like the foreshadowing and relevance of these plot points are very anemic by comparison in RWBY.

Why they do this? Maybe it's just because they didn't feel it was necessary to remind people over and over again. It strikes me as being more different rather than actively being better or worse.