Awoo.

Sonictrainer

On 2/10/2022 at 10:05 PM, Celestia said:

It's been pointed out that Elfilin has a notched ear like what they do to identify lab mice. It's probably just a neat little touch to give their design a little asymmetric touch, but...

spacer.png

"So this is where Eggman built Elfilin."

"It's so sad. What a lonely place to be brought into the world."

Spoiler

I'm joking but it would be crazy if that turns out to be true lol, well except Eggman.

• Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Showing off the upgraded abilities & mouthful mode in action...

God, this is the Kirby I have waited since the GameCube era. Can't wait ❤️ 

• 3 weeks later...

FM80SpnX0BcjdVd?format=jpg&name=large

A free demo for #Kirby and the Forgotten Land is now available on the #NintendoSwitch #eShop! Download now to get a taste of Kirby’s copy abilities and the new Mouthful Mode before the game’s release on 3/25!

The Demo has 2 Levels, a Boss Battle, and 2 Difficulty Modes.

Spoiler

I love that Ice Kirby can now freeze Bosses if he can blow cold air on them for a certain period of time.

Tried the demo out.

It's good. Really damn good. 

Kirby being in 3D feels so natural, he plays exactly as you expect. You can float, slide, and all the copy abilities in the demo work like they should. Graphics are beautiful too. Really like the art style of the new world, it feels both different and the same at the same time, despite feeling different from the usual Kirby grassy plains and whatnot.

I highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Kirby fans will be able to jam out this year

FN1JLklX0AMc7Ew?format=jpg&name=large

Mark your calendars, Kirby fans! A special #Kirby30 anniversary concert will be livestreamed for free on August 11!

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Kirby series, for a limited time we're rereleasing a portion of the Kirby 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert, held in Japan back in July of 2017.

Video will be available March 3, 2022 through March 31, 2023.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I'm surprised they had so much trouble over the past 15 years coming up with a way to make Kirby play well in 3D. They make it look so easy. So natural. Just a testament to their talent, I guess!

• Thumbs Up 1

Unrelated to Kirby, but

Video will be available March 3, 2022 through March 31, 2023.

Why does Nintendo keep doing this? It's not even a game, it's just a video, do they hate their legacy content that much? Did they look at Super Mario 3D-All Stars and said "hey, our fear of missing out concept was successful! let's keep doing this to most of our stuff now!".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

• 2 weeks later...

Contents of EDGE Magazine's latest was posted online yesterday (before the general review embargo lifted), and they gave the game an 8/10. Figured if they were that positive towards the game, other reviewers would be just as kind if not kinder. (And as someone who played and really liked the demo, I'm not too surprised by that outcome.)

The current metascore for Forgotten Land is 85 across OpenCritic ("Mighty", 93% reviewers recommend) and Metacritic. That leaves it at only one point behind Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn, which are both tied on Metacritic as the highest scoring Kirby games in the series. (The GameRankings archive meanwhile has Epic Yarn at 88% Canvas Curse at 87% respectively ). Which is kinda wild to me as Canvas Curse (tech demo game for DS' touchscreen) and Epic Yarn (different platformer rebranded Kirby mid-production) aren't "traditional" Kirby games, like Triple Deluxe (80 MC) and Planet Robobot (81 MC).

• Thumbs Up 1

The game is objectively very good even if you are not a Kirby fan, so this is not a surprise. I'm happy that it's getting good reviews.

I hope that at some point it will get some fanservice DLCs like Star Allies did.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:21 PM, Milo said:

Which is kinda wild to me as Canvas Curse (tech demo game for DS' touchscreen) and Epic Yarn (different platformer rebranded Kirby mid-production) aren't "traditional" Kirby games, like Triple Deluxe (80 MC) and Planet Robobot (81 MC).

Those two games were both innovative in their own different ways for the time when they came out, so that's why they got a higher score; Forgotten Land is a bit more "normal", that's it.

Epic Yarn is likely "overrated" due to the wow effect for its artstyle... as a game it's not really that great (it's good but nothing special), in fact, when they ported it on 3DS, it has been kinda a flop.

Canvas Curse is actually very good and I think it deserves that great score though... but I can see how it might not appeal to everyone, Forgotten Land is definitely a game that more people can enjoy because it's more "classic", Canvas Curse is a gimmick game, more niche, but IMO it's just as good.

Spoilers for Forgotten Land, but:

Hide contents

Damn, the pen-ultimate boss of the story (Fecto Forgo) is a lot creepier than I expected. Even for the Eldritch stuff in this series.

It's like something out of the Cthulu mythos, or a horror game.

This game has some of the best, and most adorable animations I've ever seen in a video game. And there's so many of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, GX Echidna said:

This game has some of the best, and most adorable animations I've ever seen in a video game. And there's so many of them.

Especially the reaction  Waddle Dees have after attacking them. Actually felt bad when I hit one accidently in Waddle Dee town.

Just now, mayday2592 said:

Especially the reaction  Waddle Dees have after attacking them. Actually felt bad when I hit one accidently in Waddle Dee town.

But then you rescue them from a stage, and you spin around with them holding hands.

My favorite thus far is when you eat the stairs, and your action for it is to just flop over.

I think what I just adore about this game is, despite it being a fairly straightforward interpretation of Kirby in 3D (it really does feel like this was to Kirby what 3D World was to Mario), there's just so much attention to detail.

For a platformer as abstracted out as Kirby tends to be, Forgotten Land contextualizes so much into the environment. You're not merely jumping on floating platforms. You're scaling buildings, crossing rivers, and exploring landmarks, but still with traditional platforming challenge.

I feel like nothing exemplifies this as much as the Awoofy enemies. Some of them are strictly enemies who will chase and attack you. But some are just sort of in the environment, sleeping, sitting, waiting in lines, patrolling. In an early level, I encountered one who was just walking on a path. He paid me no mind, and I just sort of followed him as he walked past the other enemies and through the level. Then at the end, he left via a special exit I hadn't noticed before. I used it myself and earned 30 coins.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I was under the impression that since the abilities were simplified that a movelist would be unnecessary.

Seems HAL thought the same thing.

However there are 3 specific things abilities can do that the game doesn't ever tell you or expect you to do...

It does not tell you how to do the Final Cutter (if you played Super Star and the last 4 Kirby games you'd already be aware of this though), it does not tell you if you spin the control stick during Fleur Tornado Kirby will do a ballerina spin (for some reason spinning the stick also cancels the attack for all  forms) AND it does not tell you...

Hide contents

That while using the Morpho Knight Sword if you Guard & press the attack button you can summon 2 Fecto Fargo seekers.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, StaticMania said:

AND it does not tell you...

Reveal hidden contents

That while using the Morpho Knight Sword if you Guard & press the attack button you can summon 2 Fecto Fargo seekers.

Spoiler

I didn't know that, and while trying the move, I discovered that if you do it mid-air it will do a different move, those shockwaves that during the bossfight will mess your  camera if you get hit.

I don't know if there are other hidden moves in other abilities, didn't test them all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question for those who have played the game.

What are you looking at as far as completion time goes? What about 100% completion?

Just trying to get a feel for it. I've heard some conflicting numbers.

7 hours ago, Iko said:

Hide contents

I didn't know that, and while trying the move, I discovered that if you do it mid-air it will do a different move, those shockwaves that during the bossfight will mess your  camera if you get hit.

I don't know if there are other hidden moves in other abilities, didn't test them all.

There's a counterattack you can do with sword and ranger if you press b right after you do a perfectly timed dodge.

With sword if you do the slide attack input Kirby will do a slide attack with the sword instead. Press a again right after that and he'll do an uppercut, then b for a midair finisher.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both Hammer & Sword and...Ranger have a counter attack if you perfect dodge.

I suppose the game doesn't tell you about those either.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to Kirby and the Forgotten Land

I just beat the main story of Kirby, man what a great game. Luckily I did all the treasure roads and save all the waddle dees of the first five worlds, except beating the fifth boss without damage. I also only used level 1 abilities which was fun.

I beat the game last night and loved it, especially the part at the end. Probably the best Kirby game for me, even though I'm just a casual Kirby fan. I played a bit of the post-game and it's great as well, the more challenging bosses are a treat.