Awoo.

Sonictrainer

On 4/2/2022 at 11:02 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

Question for those who have played the game.

What are you looking at as far as completion time goes? What about 100% completion?

Just trying to get a feel for it. I've heard some conflicting numbers.

Probably useless information after over two months, but it took me maybe a week and a half to 100% it - I think that was generally playing a few hours per day.  Maybe thirty hours tops, but my completion times generally clock in at higher than average.

I actually finished it a while ago.  It's a great game!  I do not play many 3D platformers, but this one is so wonderfully realised, with near-complete integration of level aesthetics and gameplay.  Everything you're doing is very much taking place in the world (rather than on miscellaneous platforms), and it's a world with so many different facets.  The gameplay itself is a great example of elegant simplicity; there's not much you can do, but it always feels like you have everything you need.  The number of Copy Powers feels well-balanced; they've been pruned a little in terms of number and sophistication, but in a way it feels like the game wants you to have a deeper relationship with them, relying on them for longer before changing out, and upgrading them to give you a continuing sense of originality in how you relate to them.  The levels are full of little secrets and collectibles, but none of them feel too secret.  Basically, it's a game which continually unfolds more layers of depth as you look for them, whilst never losing its sense of accessibility.  In a sense, that goes for the story too, which is deceptively light; it looks like a simple adventure for much of the game, but as you get to the end it becomes clear that there is actually quite a bit going on beneath the surface.  And of course there are all the little distractions in town, with their own extra layers...

I feel that this is a game which is at once generous, but restrained.  It keeps on giving, but knows not to outstay its welcome.  It's also cute as a button.  I wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

• 2 months later...

I love the game. It was a great experience. As a long-term Kirby fan, it was cool seeing Kirby on a 3D platform. When it came to boss fights, it seemed as if you were in the game. (Well for me). The last boss, Fecto Elfilis was awesome. Even the music too. When it was the last boss in the ultimate cup Z, the battle with Chaos Elfilis was so incredible. I've played many of the other games that are side-scrolling, I like them but I think Kirby and the forgotten land tops them in my list.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is the game I've most enjoyed in the last five years because it's a style of game that's mostly dead today, which happens to be my favorite kind of game. Back in the Gamecube days games like this were common. Colorful 3D action games for all audiences with a focus on adventure that take themselves seriously.

In the big budget (So-called Triple A) gaming landscape the focus is on realistic games that are either dark and gritty or colorful with edgy humor but still focusing on an adult audience. Most of them are M-rated or T-rated. It's not bad, but I don't personally enjoy it. On the indie side, most of them haven't moved on from 2D yet and they like to either focus on emotions and relationships or have some really dark depressing hidden story behind them, these themes don't interest me either.

Anyway, everything positive I could say about Kirby has been very well described in posts above so I just wanted to focus on why I'd like game developers to make more games like this one. At the moment, Nintendo is the only company making these kinds of games and I have to wait years between one and the next.

• Thumbs Up 1