Awoo.

"If it's bad, why it makes money?"

MetalSkulkBane

Look, I don't look for things to hate. It's just waste of my time and energy. But it doesn't change the fact that Disney Live Action Remakes and Bay Transformers movies are something I have very negative opinion on. And it's a bit hard to just ignore them because, you know, how much money they make.

And that brings me to question I've been pondering: WHY they make money? I could just accuse world of being full of idiots and me part of enlighten minority (hyperbole to make a point, I don't want to start war with people who actually like Disney Remakes), but I wonder if  it's just super simplification to pat my own ego.

If Michael Bay is really a talentless joke as I want to see him, what allowed him to surpass all other talentless jokers and get this job.

And that's  the discussion I want to start. Not necessary about those two movie franchises, but the general idea:

If something is very popular, does it mean it must have some kind of value, even if I hate it?

I suppose the most important thing is if the customer is enjoying the product. That’s really all it boils down to.

That said, I get where you’re coming from—I think the best products are those that do more than just entertain at the bare minimum. Those that just pass off as entertaining don’t really stay with me compared to those that go the extra mile and deliver a whole new world for people to draw themselves into.

Little wonder why franchises like, for example, Lord of the Rings (which I personally dislike due to not really enjoying medieval fantasies fiction, but I’d be a moron to pretend like I don’t see or understand it’s appeal) are fondly remembered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it also applies to the fact of "I'm just watching because it is _________".

For example, I don't really liked The Force Awakens and thought Star Wars sequels were lost by The Last Jedi, but still only watched The Rise of Skywalker because it was Star Wars. I guess it's that feeling of you are missing something from your favorite series, as bad as it can be. Likely there are many betters and well adapted sci-fi movies to our time, but little are the ones which have that Star Wars appeal.

Another good example is the Sonic Movie. It wasn't much more than a generic money grab children comedy, but it had the Sonic appeal. And more than that, people really got intrigued by the redesign announcement, and were curious how it would turn out, and repaid the movie team and effort by watching the movie more than once.

If not that, it's that kind of thing, it's not because you don't enjoy it, that other people won't. There are a lot of things I think are extremely overrated, but what can I do?

• Thumbs Up 1

The phrase "lowest common denominator" comes to mind. The bayformers movies are good examples. Very few people count them among their favorite movies, but due to their basic premise they are among those works of entertainment that the vast majority can get some amount of enjoyment out of, hench why they make so much goddamn money. Like, people go "hmm, giant CGI robots beating eachother up... yeah sure, why not".

Meanwhile a lot of really great works of art and entertainment goes by unnoticed because they are just too niche. Not enough of the population finds their basic premise interestinng enough to even give them a chance.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, batson said:

Meanwhile a lot of really great works of art and entertainment goes by unnoticed because they are just too niche. Not enough of the population finds their basic premise interestinng enough to even give them a chance.

That, or they didn’t put enough money in the advertising budget. Tends to be a major reason why they go unnoticed than how niche they are.

Other cases tend towards generational differences in taste—a lot more people now are getting into Anime as mainstream when decades prior it was seen as a “nerd” or “kid” thing. But then you have older crowds at Oscars giving awards to shit you and most of the mainstream probably never heard of.

Sometimes people just want bad, big dumb entertainment. I know 2012 is a nonsensical disaster movie, but I still enjoy rewatching it every now and then.

One thing that comes to mind that I think that I've seen other people talk about is Sword Art Online.

That series is one I've seen people complain about it's big issues alot (which stem mostly to the anime) and complain why is is still popular now.

For me I'm neutral with it and don't mind it. 

Most of the time, the reason for that is that when people complain, they're loud and appear to outnumber the people that like it and don't feel the need to express it.

• Thumbs Up 2