Awoo.

'Sonic Frontiers' Trademarked by SEGA

phobs

6 minutes ago, Razule said:

They don't need to have a personal vendetta against Sonic's friends to not want to make them playable in main series games. They're the extended cast, so of course, if they're going to make animated shorts, they're going to use them. They seem content to have them appear anywhere Sonic Team doesn't need to program them themselves (unless it'd take minimal effort, in Forces Shadow's case). It isn't impossible, but 

Sure but when they're working alongside the movies, they have a new reason to put extra effort into adding a few extra characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Razule said:

That's a term I haven't seen in a long time, and yet is still relevant.

Giant ass? Yeah, me too.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Sure but when they're working alongside the movies, they have a new reason to put extra effort into adding a few extra characters.

Maybe so, maybe so. I can't say without a doubt that I believe Sonic Team will never have more playable characters than Sonic again, because I simply don't know. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Soniman said:

Can't say I care much about alternative characters when they can't even get one game play style right like....I understand the frustration but I can't start caring as much as I want to until they finally build a damn foundation first before adding on top of it 

They had more than a decade’s worth of time to figure this out and all they have to show for it is a blank slate character creator, underwhelming 15 min DLC and throwing in Retro Sonic as a loophole. And that’s not even getting into my 2nd biggest issue; the “3D games” Sega released during this time cares more about cramming in 2D sections at every opportunity.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Sola Sonic still present in 2022 sucks giant ass, ngl

Agreed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Maybe the wisps and the zeti will make up the roster for the next racer. Count Sonic Tails and Eggman and that's over 20 options!

Please don't give Sega ideas...

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Sola Sonic still present in 2022 sucks giant ass, ngl

Also agreed. We've been doing this shit for about a decade now. If nothing else, at least add 'em as DLC...

3 hours ago, Soniman said:

Can't say I care much about alternative characters when they can't even get one game play style right like....I understand the frustration but I can't start caring as much as I want to until they finally build a damn foundation first before adding on top of it 

Thats about where I am at the moment too.

Thanks to Forces taking 3 steps backwards, the series is right back into the purgatory where we don't know where it will go from here. The next game could be a drastic departure from anything they have tried up to this point, which makes the multiple characters a bigger ask.

Sure its sucks that we have been watching them work on "Sonic Only" for a decade, but they have yet to make it past that first step. Every-time they get close, the quite frankly F#$k it up.

• Thumbs Up 3

Remember when literally everyone got super excited about the playable characters in Sonic Runners? Yeah, a mobile game gave us shit like playable Tikal and Mephiles, FFS. It was made by Sonic Team. Like, obviously Frontiers doesn't even need to have deep cuts like them, but Jesus fucking Christ, make the fox and the echidna playable already, it's been too long. Probably too late to ask for that if the game wasn't planned with more than Sonic in mind from the beginning. More and more I miss the Adventure games.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only reason the older games even had Sonic's friends as playable characters is because the games were designed and structured around them. The second they moved on from that, yet still felt the need to obligatorily shove them in for the sake of padding the game's length, it pretty much killed any goodwill they could have had in the majority. 

I may not necessarily like it, but if I have to choose between either having Sonic's friends around in a half-assed capacity or not having them at all, well it's a no brainer. Because there hasn't been a game designed around these characters, that's not a throwback to the older games, since 2006 and we all know the story with that game.

The majority of the gaming community  do not give an iota of a shit about Sonic's friends; they're window dressing. And the last time they were around in a prominent capacity, the game fucking sucked. So unless Sega craft a game that's designed around them and doesn't play like ass, we're probably not going to see them ever again. And given the fact that Sega seem content with moving forward towards whatever, I don't see that changing any time soon. 

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

A mobile game is exactly where you'd expect a bunch of playable characters. Simple gameplay, minimal differences between characters, an irrelevant story so anyone can appear without consequence, a need for a lot of unlockables to keep people playing and paying...a big budget 3d platformer is about as far from that as it gets, even adding just one or two more is a major increase in scope.

That slice of my post was more about fans' huge desire to play as another characters rather than the logistics of adding them, which has been a thing way before Runners to be honest.

9 hours ago, Jango said:

Probably too late to ask for that if the game wasn't planned with more than Sonic in mind from the beginning. More and more I miss the Adventure games.

9 hours ago, Diogenes said:

A mobile game is exactly where you'd expect a bunch of playable characters. Simple gameplay, minimal differences between characters, an irrelevant story so anyone can appear without consequence, a need for a lot of unlockables to keep people playing and paying...a big budget 3d platformer is about as far from that as it gets, even adding just one or two more is a major increase in scope.

Pretty much, yeah. Excepting an entire mass playable cast in in a wide and big 3d platformer is not a wise move.

It's not impossible,  but heavily unlikely, due to all the caveats that come with such a manuever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Calling it right now: switch version is gonna be 900p 30fps. Other consoles don't even get a graphical upgrade. Gotta have that Nintendo version, weaker specs be damned.

34 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Calling it right now: switch version is gonna be 900p 30fps. Other consoles don't even get a graphical upgrade. Gotta have that Nintendo version, weaker specs be damned.

Hopefully it's the other way around, as it always has been since Unwished.

1 hour ago, BadBehavior said:

That's not very realistic, nor has it ever been the case...

1 hour ago, BadBehavior said:

How about this: instead of making a watered down version just to keep the Switch owners "content", how about a new Switch exclusive game? It costs more, but it would be a great idea to ensure quality and even bigger sales... which is exactly why it's not gonna happen sigh

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, phobs said:

Do you guys remember about how we all laughed at "Sonic Frontiers" leaks? Well, SEGA officially registered trademark for "Sonic Frontiers" in Japan

No? I knew Rangers was just a title in progress. It was possible it could change in the future 

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the title it feels fitting for an open world game. I'm guessing we're getting closer day by day to an actual reveal looking forward to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I like the title it feels fitting for an open world game. I'm guessing we're getting closer day by day to an actual reveal looking forward to it.

Trademarks usually get locked in a month or so before reveal, so there's a chance we see it next month. If not, March isn't so far away now.

2 hours ago, Jack-al said:

How about this: instead of making a watered down version just to keep the Switch owners "content", how about a new Switch exclusive game? It costs more, but it would be a great idea to ensure quality and even bigger sales... which is exactly why it's not gonna happen sigh

Its weird, The conventional wisdom is that Sonic sells best on Nintendo. But they can't exclusively sell on Nintendo cos the last time they tried that was one of the most boneheaded exclusivity agreements in gaming history that forced them to eat debt for breakfast. So clearly being ported to the other 3 (ps, xbox, pc) gives them enough money that the investment is worth it, otherwise they wouldn't even do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Its weird, The conventional wisdom is that Sonic sells best on Nintendo. But they can't exclusively sell on Nintendo cos the last time they tried that was one of the most boneheaded exclusivity agreements in gaming history that forced them to eat debt for breakfast. So clearly being ported to the other 3 (ps, xbox, pc) gives them enough money that the investment is worth it, otherwise they wouldn't even do it.

Sonic does best where the kids are. Kids typically gravitate toward Nintendo but they made the exclusivity deal on the one console where that wasn't true.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:
4 hours ago, BadBehavior said:

That's not very realistic, nor has it ever been the case...

Honestly, I don't even understand where such a silly notion cropped from to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly like the name "Sonic Frontiers" better than "Sonic Rangers." It sounds like it fits the theme of the game much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kind of curious how the game will handle story progression and cutscenes if its going to be open world. Will it be similar to BOTW where they just place you into the world and you just do whatever and learn the plot if you want to or will it be similar to other open world games where you go from main mission to main mission.

• Thumbs Up 1