Awoo.

'Sonic Frontiers' Trademarked by SEGA

phobs

1 hour ago, Zoomzeta said:

I know that, but still, it's only common sense that they would be hiring new talent for a game of this scale with that sort of expertice.

It would have been common sense to hire people who understand more nuanced movement mechanics for Lost World but that's not really what happened.

• Thumbs Up 4

52 minutes ago, azoo said:

If a Sonic leak sounds stupid, it’s probably fake. But if it sounds really stupid, it’s probably true.

And this particular leak sounds very, very stupid... meaning that...

Oh.

Oh.

walter white greyhound GIF

4 hours ago, azoo said:

But if it sounds really stupid, it’s probably true.

Well if we go off the previous rumor about the game having a skill tree...

I'm going to assume it's going to be like Secret Rings where you have to unlock less shitty controls.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, azoo said:

People looking at the “the ghost girl is a tech waifu” thing like it’s too ridiculous clearly don’t remember 4chan dropping the “werewolf Sonic with Dhalsim-like stretchy arm powers” bit about a year before Unleashed was announced, or when a random Stadium article guy drops news of Sonic being in a war with your weapon-clad Original the Character several months before Forces’s gimmick was revealed.

If a Sonic leak sounds stupid, it’s probably fake. But if it sounds really stupid, it’s probably true. Not to say this definitely will be, but yeah welcome to hell. Signature related.

Its more like if a rumor sounds like its giving exactly what people have been asking for, its wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I’m still remembering the time we thought Forces’ build-an-OC mechanic was completely fake and not believing Sonic Team would actually go that far after 20 years.

At this point, anything’s possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find the most believable rumors are detailing not what fans want, but what fans expect. Based on ST's prior behavior, its not unreasonable to assume that after the success of Colors & Gens (and the failure of Forces) that Sega would try tinkering with the core sonic gameplay again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Btw, that Niche Gamer source that said that the "leak" with  the sexy ghost girl was posted on May 11th is wrong: that post was made on November 5th not May 11th. They confused American date format with European, so instead of month/day/year they thought it was day/month/year. So, considering that post was published in November, it is probably just another fake leak 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbs Up 1

Even the mentality of a leak giving something that people want, being fake doesn't work, given the range and scope of things that could occur at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Hyper Sonic thing sounded too much like something people wanted.

Yeah that's what made me question me more than the sexy ghost who wants to bone Sonic. I mean...we had one of those before so it's not without precedent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Wraith said:

It would have been common sense to hire people who understand more nuanced movement mechanics for Lost World but that's not really what happened.

That's really besides the point. It's not just movement.

• Thumbs Up 1

They hire new people "all the time" (by that I mean that there nearly always new hire between new games), and maybe that "have worked on a openworld title" is something that interest them in a resume, but honestly I don't think they have tried that much to get open world talents. Especially as Iizuka have said in an interview IIRC that they have experimented on different style for the next game, so I think it's more "internal" to SEGA CS2.

Though I'm still pretty sure that they have more people than usual on the project, with IIzuka interviews and that SEGA CS2 haven't release a 3D game since 2019 (tho they might have other unannounced projects). That doesn't mean that the *designers* are different, there are big chances that the game is conceptualized by the same people than the previous game (that would honestly be interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting) or maybe with some more people on board (certainly more game designer, because if not it would be basically them actively trying to kill their level designer lol).

TBH, what I hope mostly is that they got the time and the budget to really polish more their game, try things, etc. this time.

I'm also intrigued by the engine of the game. If it's an openworld, they basically have to reintroduce level streaming in their engine (for pretty obvious reason, as the areas would be way bigger). Is the engine still a "Hedgehog Engine 2" ? Have they made it evolve to something new (a "Hedgehog Engine 3", adapted for the needs of this new game) for the project ? Used/created another engine (would make the investment of making evolve the HE1 to more modern tech a bit of a waste, but eh, still a possibility) ?

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sega are trying to be big and ambitious, they might make a new engine, or tweak their existing Sonic game engine to be more open-world friendly.

If they're being cheap and just trying to cash in on a trend, they might re-use the Yakuza engine and slow Sonic down to make him work in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

They hire new people "all the time" (by that I mean that there nearly always new hire between new games), and maybe that "have worked on a openworld title" is something that interest them in a resume, but honestly I don't think they have tried that much to get open world talents. Especially as Iizuka have said in an interview IIRC that they have experimented on different style for the next game, so I think it's more "internal" to SEGA CS2.

Though I'm still pretty sure that they have more people than usual on the project, with IIzuka interviews and that SEGA CS2 haven't release a 3D game since 2019 (tho they might have other unannounced projects). That doesn't mean that the *designers* are different, there are big chances that the game is conceptualized by the same people than the previous game (that would honestly be interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting) or maybe with some more people on board (certainly more game designer, because if not it would be basically them actively trying to kill their level designer lol).

TBH, what I hope mostly is that they got the time and the budget to really polish more their game, try things, etc. this time.

I'm also intrigued by the engine of the game. If it's an openworld, they basically have to reintroduce level streaming in their engine (for pretty obvious reason, as the areas would be way bigger). Is the engine still a "Hedgehog Engine 2" ? Have they made it evolve to something new (a "Hedgehog Engine 3", adapted for the needs of this new game) for the project ? Used/created another engine (would make the investment of making evolve the HE1 to more modern tech a bit of a waste, but eh, still a possibility) ?

OK, just so we are clear, Hedgehog Engine 1 and 2 are graphics game engines with little bearing on how a game plays.

48 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

If Sega are trying to be big and ambitious, they might make a new engine, or tweak HE2 to be more open-world friendly.

If they're being cheap and just trying to cash in on a trend, they might re-use the Yakuza engine and slow Sonic down to make him work in it.

1 minute ago, Zoomzeta said:

OK, just so we are clear, Hedgehog Engine 1 and 2 are graphics game engines with little bearing on how a game plays.

I did not intent to merge those comments like that, but oh well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The engine that normally handles game physics and gameplay is the Havok engine, which has been used in a lot of games up to this point, open world or otherwise. They've been using it since the early 2000s. 

Edited by Zoomzeta
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zoomzeta said:

The engine that normally handles game physics and gameplay is the Havok engine, which has been used in a lot of games up to this point, open world or otherwise. They've been using it since the early 2000s. 

Yes, but it's not the raw Havok engine out of the box. They've modified and tweaked it over the years for their purposes. And I don't know how good that version of it is for what they want to do. Surely if you hacked an area the size of Breath of the Wild into Sonic Forces it would be very awkward to navigate and might not even load. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Gloved Animal said:

Yes, but it's not the raw Havok engine out of the box. They've modified and tweaked it over the years for their purposes. And I don't know how good that version of it is for what they want to do. Surely if you hacked an area the size of Breath of the Wild into Sonic Forces it would be very awkward to navigate and might not even load. 

Hence why one hypothesis I have is that they aren't going full open world. That they're just going for smaller explorable areas with levels linking to the main hub. A hub world if you will.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BadBehavior said:

Hence why one hypothesis I have is that they aren't going full open world. That they're just going for smaller explorable areas with levels linking to the main hub. A hub world if you will.

I mean, that's certainly the more economic way of going about it, and I would certainly not hold them against that in any way, as it certainly works out for a lot 3d Platformers for the most part.

3 hours ago, Gloved Animal said:

Obviously I'm aware of that. But that's ultimately the engine they used for Sonic titles thus far, modified to the games' specific needs of course.

Edited by Zoomzeta
  • Thumbs Up 1