Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

It's a free update for a game that will have been out for a year by that point. If your expecting full new movesets and full access to the open world I would be inclined to tell you that you are probably setting the bar too high. 

Even if it's shortsighted in scope, I wouldn't call it an afterthought either tho. It's just a reward for fans making this the most successful Sonic game since he went 3rd party. 

Shoot, they could drop character skins tomorrow and most of us would gobble it up. They can save the ambition for tackling new characters for the sequel. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The third update is definitely the one to keep eyes on, since that's a new campaign, with new playable characters, and has the most potential time in the oven.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what to expect and would be remiss to make any actual guesses either. But yeah, I'd rather set my expectations low. Frontiers is already a complete experience, and it's not any sort of live service or evolving online experience. Free updates aren't going to suddenly transform the breadth of content available. 

What else do you need? When the combat isn't the central focus, I'm not sure I'd want them to have radically-altered movesets (though different animations and names for the same attacks would make sense), and Sonic can already do a lot more than he used to be able to. The air boost with its slow descent is almost like a glide, and if Knuckles can climb any walls, I guarantee it won't be all of them, which already makes for an allegory to Sonic's wallrunning.

So maybe Knuckles has some improvement over the climbing, Tails's flight is a nerfed, better glide-boost, and Amy has...I dunno, her triple jump from Sonic Boom?

I maintain that a significant part of the playerbase wants multiple playable characters not merely for mechanics, but for story context. A character feels like they have a more tangible effect on the story when their feats are something that you, the player, are participating in. So they don't actually need to play much differently. I honestly think that the anger over solo Sonic would be way, way lessened if we'd been getting games with stories featuring multiple playable characters all this time, even if they were mechanically identical to Sonic.

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

At most I'm just expecting a bunch of Sonic reskins with one extra ability for each of them in Update 3

That honestly seems ideal if those extra abilities are meaningful to use.

I would go as far as to say that story content is 90% of the reason people want them, and Sega is aware of that, so I wouldn't expect some huge system overhaul.

I really don't expect them to be playable in the open world at all to be honest but we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Oh, word! That was fast.

The only thing that's "fast" is my ability to fall for hoaxes 😞

Just now, ZinogreVolt said:

The only thing that's "fast" is my ability to fall for hoaxes 😞

Tomorrow for sure, then. 🙃

How has it been years since these fake accounts pop up and yet people still don't check the @ before sharing things bring passed off as official news?

First thing, what do they mean by further dlc? Do they mean the roadmap or something else? Confused by that.

Secondly, oh my god they're actually giving the team a bigger budget at last. Why did it take this long tho...

Third, I greatly appreciate the push for future Sonic promotion. It's been a while since I felt that Sonic actually felt like a big brand with a budget, so this push is a good thing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A bigger budget isn't a silver bullet solution to some of the game's problems, but that's definitely very promising. I'm hopeful that it'll fix my problem with so many of the game's cutscenes being characters standing around and talking without moving much. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Ah, a bigger budget and more team members being hired. That may not mean that much on a complete scale, but if Sonic Team plays their cards right, I can see great promise in future Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd be nice to get a game that can finally knock off Unleashed in the looks department.

Bigger budget is step 1 towards that.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I'm happy that SEGA is finally giving Sonic Team a bigger budget and more people to work with, I just hope that they actually give Sonic Team more time to develop the games instead of rushing them out like they've been doing for so many years with this franchise.  The reason why the games haven't been that great in the past decade was because SEGA kept rushing Sonic Team to push out these games and I hope that they learned their lesson with Sonic Frontiers that giving the developers more time to clean up the games would succeed in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

While I'm happy that SEGA is finally giving Sonic Team a bigger budget and more people to work with, I just hope that they actually give Sonic Team more time to develop the games instead of rushing them out like they've been doing for so many years with this franchise.  The reason why the games haven't been that great in the past decade was because SEGA kept rushing Sonic Team to push out these games and I hope that they learned their lesson with Sonic Frontiers that giving the developers more time to clean up the games would succeed in the long run.

Yeah, I was thinking about bringing up the giving more time part you said. After all, with a bigger budget, there is more you can do, but that requires more time. I do hope Sonic Team is given more time the next game they work on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ShinyGems said:

Yeah, I was thinking about bringing up the giving more time part you said. After all, with a bigger budget, there is more you can do, but that requires more time. I do hope Sonic Team is given more time the next game they work on.

Does SEGA give their other games like Persona and Yakuza more time for development? I'm wondering if the lack of development is only exclusive to Sonic or this has been done to SEGA's other IPs.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Does SEGA give their other games like Persona and Yakuza more time for development? I'm wondering if the lack of development is only exclusive to Sonic or this has been done to SEGA's other IPs.

I am not sure personally. Honestly, the only thing I can possibly think of (correct me if I am wrong) is that before Sonic Frontiers, Yakuza and, to a lesser extent, Persona (which has been part of Sega a shorter time than Yakuza has) may have had more good games than Sonic did, so I can't imagine them possibly not having more development time compared to Sonic.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I am just not sure, either.