Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

Is there any schedule as to when the sonic announcements will happen? The event starts at 2AM for me and I really only want to see the sonic stuff live..

1 minute ago, FReaK said:

Is there any schedule as to when the sonic announcements will happen? The event starts at 2AM for me and I really only want to see the sonic stuff live..

There is no schedule to this stuff, and it will probably in the middle or towards the end of the event, the best you will get is something like "X, Y, and Z, are upcoming after the ad break, stay tuned!"

and the event is like 3 hours long so...yeah

• Thumbs Up 4

58 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

I hope this is a sequel to forces and explains where Infinite went at the end of time, since he did just kinda poof away.

I'm actually really hoping not, because if Frontiers is meant to be this big jumping-on point for newcomers to the series (there's a reason they're showing this with the movie) having it be a narrative sequel to a previous game, especially one not many people liked, seems like a really strange move, especially when the two probably don't even play anything alike. 

Also, I'd just kind of like to forget Forces exists after tonight, tbh (though I'm sure the fanbase won't let me, at least not until this game is out).

• Thumbs Up 4

57 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

because if Frontiers is meant to be this big jumping-on point for newcomers to the series (there's a reason they're showing this with the movie) having it be a narrative sequel to a previous game, especially one not many people liked, seems like a really strange move, especially when the two probably don't even play anything alike

Ah right, forgot they may want to take that approach. Sucks Infinite is just being dropped like that, but I can understand them wanting to have a fresh start now.

Does this mean he can start appearing in spinoff games now

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna say no, but only because that would seem prohibitive to the play style it's allegedly going for. I feel like the kind of rolling we'll get in the game will be a quick combat roll sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Razule said:

Think we'll get any of that fabled momentum? Is rolling at will too much to hope for?

One thing that none of the leaks, real or fake, have talked much about is the physics/movement. Or at least not that I'm aware. There have been far too many leaks and rumours and other nonsense click-bait around for me to care reading or watching. We'll find out soon enough. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The only reason I even know about the leaks is because people talk about them on here. I typically tend to not go looking for that stuff. I've always preferred reacting to and talking about offically confirmed things.

That's why whenever a new Smash character gets revealed and people are like "the leaks were true" or "the fucking Grinch (?) lied to us" I'm just left wondering why people are so eager to spoil the surprise for themselves.

Admittedly, it's been a bit tougher with this new game since its been so long but we're here now and I haven't died... I don't think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Leaks generate buzz and get people talking about potential things. When Sora got leaked, it didn’t really “spoil” anything because the leak itself was ambiguous enough it could be seen as another 4chan leak, but it still generated a interesting discussion about him and what he could offer to smash. Leaks like that, I tend to not have a issue with, and it encourages light speculation. Video/photo leaks are another story, but if I gotta be honest, it’s whatever if the only real consequence is Im not as omg hype for the corporate  products official reveal and rushing to secure a pre order out of shock. If the things good that’s ultimately all I need.

The Sonic leak I think falls in a interesting category, where it’s likely real, but the information given doesn’t paint that much of a clear picture, so there’s a lot of things we’re still left wondering. So I don’t think it’ll harm peoples reactions to the official reveal 

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, Razule said:

Think we'll get any of that fabled momentum? Or is rolling at will too much to hope for, and it's slightly altered boost. 

If I see Sonic rolling in that trailer I'll be convinced I'm dreaming.

It's funny I'm so unconvinced it'll happen despite fun speed building movement with lots of space to do it being a big thing Sonic could bring to the open world genre.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Coz483 said:

Man been awhile.

Any I hope this game develops Tails in a good way.

I also hope for this. Even if he ain't playable (and I sure as fuck hope he is), I at lerast want him there and I at least want him done well.

That's can't be too much for you, Sega... right?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...?!?!?

• Thumbs Up 2

Despite being 28 and seeing him all the time, I always get excited whenever I so much as see Tails in a new anything. I'm just like "LOOK, THERE HE IS! THEY HAVEN'T GOTTEN RID OF HIM LIKE THE NIGHTMARES SAID THEY WOULD!" all the time. 

I dunno. I love him. He deserves better. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Natie said:

If I see Sonic rolling in that trailer I'll be convinced I'm dreaming.

It's funny I'm so unconvinced it'll happen despite fun speed building movement with lots of space to do it being a big thing Sonic could bring to the open world genre.

spacer.png

they can't let Mario get away with this... rolling is Sonic's thing... it's payback time...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the trailer didn't outright show gameplay, but we got a decent good look at the new location the game is taking place in. And uuuuuuuuuhhh.......

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Well, the trailer didn't outright show gameplay, but we got a decent good look at the new location the game is taking place in. And uuuuuuuuuhhh.......

It looks boring. And there's no Tails, so I'm left blue-balled once more.

(Robot looks cool, though.)

I'm wondering what information we can glean about the actual gameplay (how Sonic moves) by looking at the environment. I want to say the hills point to momentum and rolling but there's also a lot that just looks like flat ground, and nothing in the way of Sonic specific terrain like loops and half pipes. Like I've been saying since the open world thing came out, nothing else matters unless Sonic feels good to control, and Kishimoto does NOT have a good track record on that front.

• Thumbs Up 4

I am still not convinced.

This is staring down the barrel of a repeat of Forces where ST will spend 3 years making the graphics look pretty then leave only a year for the actual gameplay. Seems to be their strategy for the last few games, thinking that if it looks pretty it will be good. Perhaps they are in the wrong industry.

Gameplay is what matters and we have seen absolutely none of that for a game that is meant to be just a few months out from release. Rise of Lyric looked nice…

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

It looks boring. And there's no Tails, so I'm left blue-balled once more.

(Robot looks cool, though.)

No that's not what I was implying. I was just caught off-guard by the visual jump from the last game to this. 

It makes sense for SEGA to officially unveil Frontiers here, given the amount of people watching TGA & having it ride off the anticipation of the 2nd Movie is pretty smart. The environments look nice & Ian writing is pretty cool.

But, we still have no idea how the open world aspect of the game will play out & while I thought gameplay footage was always a reach, it would be nice to at least have an idea on what we're going to get.

Not hyped, but I will say that everything has me interested at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hyped.

Yeah we didn't get gameplay aside from seeing one of the Starfall Islands in-engine, but it looks great and has Ian Flynn behind it, plus, I don't think boost is going to be in this open world, and if it is, it'll be completely overhauled to be less OP and allow for combat.

SEGA putting it out on TGA definitely spells confidence. I like it. 

15 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

I am still not convinced.

This is staring down the barrel of a repeat of Forces where ST will spend 3 years making the graphics look pretty then leave only a year for the actual gameplay.

That's not what they did. Forces technically started development early, but the actual final form of the game only started a year before release. Less that they chose not to make the game and more they had to make a entirely new game suddenly.

Making the Hedgehog Engine 2 is much more than "making the graphics look pretty" and is probably a HUGE proponent of how Frontiers even looks this good.

we have seen absolutely none of that for a game that is meant to be just a few months out from release. 

...Holiday 2022 is a year away.

That's November / December 2022 / January 2023.