Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

sonic-2022-game-teaser-feet.jpeg

SONIC 2022 MEGATHREAD

It has been four years since the last mainline Sonic the Hedgehog game, so it's fair to say that everyone is absolutely chomping at the bit to learn more about what's next for the franchise. Sonic Team and SEGA have kept uncharacteristically tight-lipped about what they have planned for the next mainline title, due for release in 2022, as they have hinted at a complete shake-up of the traditional 3D Sonic platforming formula.

While we currently don't know anything really, about what's to come, one thing is certain - we're going to spend an awful lot of time talking about it until we do.

----------

About This Topic:

• This Megathread is the home for all general discussion surrounding the upcoming Sonic 2022 game (potentially called 'Sonic Frontiers').

• Substantial NEWSWORTHY information about this game should be broken out into a brand new topic within this forum. "New news, new topic". This covers things like new trailers with fresh information, new screenshot drops showcasing previously-unseen elements, newsworthy comments from game producers/developers about the game, etc.

• Newsworthy information can also be discussed in this Megathread, in the context of supporting further general discussion. If you wish to comment directly about any given news on the game, please post a reply in the news topic itself.

• When creating a new topic based on news, please include the original sources of the information, along with sufficient contextual information written by yourself supporting the news (i.e. don't just post a link in a topic with no further information and call it a day).

• Rumour and speculation can be discussed here, but please do not treat any such information - including anything from people who claim to be insiders - as fact until there is substantial evidence supporting the information from multiple trusted sources.

• Please be civil at ALL TIMES, especially when discussing rumours/speculation. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

----------

What We Know:

Not an awful lot at this time, annoyingly. SEGA revealed the existence of the 2022 Sonic game by way of teaser trailer during its Sonic Central livestream in May 2021. No further trailers, gameplay or other details have been officially released since. The game will be published on all modern game consoles as well as PC, at an as-yet unspecified release date in 2022.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/05/mysterious-new-sonic-title-teased-for-2022/ 

Besides Sonic running along a glade emitting some rather strange energy, we were treated to a strange symbol which has been the centre of much discussion over the last few months:

SonicVP-1024x576.png

Besides this, a lot of the information we have to go on come from various rumours and hints from the game's producers. Shortly after the initial teaser trailer, there were whispers that the game would be titled 'Sonic Rangers' and include open world gameplay. SEGA also accidentally called the game 'Sonic Rangers' in a press release, which was retracted. Whoops. Since then, a trademark filing has uncovered the name 'Sonic Frontiers', suggesting that this could be the final name of the game.

For what it's worth we interviewed Takashi Iizuka back in June and, while he didn't reveal any real details, he said that Sonic Team is hoping to "lay the foundation for future Sonic titles" using the format established in this new game.

The new title in development is progressing towards a 2022 release, so I can’t really call it an Anniversary title... However, Sonic Adventure laid the foundation for 20 years of Sonic titles after its release, so in the same way I really hope that this new title releasing in 2022 lays the foundation for the following future Sonic titles – that is the idea behind the challenge for the team.

What's Next:

I for one am not entirely sure. There are plenty of unverified accounts online who claim to have played early versions of the game, and they have shared information on what the gameplay loop for this new game could be. Of course, it's all speculation so should be treated with a huge pinch of salt - but it's fun to think about what a next-generation Sonic the Hedgehog title could look like, whether it's open world or not.

Quick Information:

Title: Sonic 2022 (possibly 'Sonic Frontiers')
Release Date: 2022 (TBC)
Platforms: PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

• The topic was pinned

Whatever it is, I'll make one request that I know they won't do, but fuck it:

Playable. Tails. With. Free. Movement.

I don't care about the open world. I don't care about the "realistic" ghost girl (side note: WTF?) that acts as Sonic's companion. I don't care if I have to wait for the DLC. I don't even care if it'll be their most polished masterpiece yet. If I can't fly high as my man Tails, it is DEAD to me. His gameplay would work so well in an open-world setting, particular if they treat him and his moveset like Insomniac treats Spidey.

Again, I know the likelihood of them doing this is severely unlikely. But that's never gonna stop me from wanting it. Why? Because SA1 is my favorite 3D Sonic game for a reason - and that reason sure as hell ain't its pretty graphics.

Let my man fly high once again, Sega. Please.

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess what I'm hoping for the most is a completely new gameplay style (no more boost gameplay or classic gameplay like how it was designed in Sonic Forces). I'm fine with open-world as long as the gameplay is fun, exciting and challenging. I'm also fine with this "ghost girl" as long as she's well written (works well as part of the game's story) and has a good design which fits with the games' theme.

As for other playable characters, I would like Tails and/or Knuckles. Realistically it will probably be just Sonic and maybe Shadow like we got in Forces. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

27 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

You think we will get something in terms of news soon, even if it is early next year?

There was interview with the organizers of the Game Awards 2021 and they said that the show will feature showcases of 40-50 games that are coming out in 2022 and 2023. I think that there is a chance that the game might be revealed there and Zippo, who I should admit was one of the first to get the new title correctly, said that he thinks that the reveal might happen at the show. But it is possible that we might have to wait until Sonic Movie 2 release

• Thumbs Up 2

Knuckles lends himself well to exploration. That's been his gimmick in just about every main game he's playable in So if any other character is playable, it'd probably be him or a Shadow reskin.

• Fist Bump 1

46 minutes ago, phobs said:

There was interview with the organizers of the Game Awards 2021 and they said that the show will feature showcases of 40-50 games that are coming out in 2022 and 2023. I think that there is a chance that the game might be revealed there and Zippo, who I should admit was one of the first to get the new title correctly, said that he thinks that the reveal might happen at the show. But it is possible that we might have to wait until Sonic Movie 2 release

Why until the movie, though? I don't see why we'd have to wait that long. I mean, sure, it is Sonic, but it is not made by Sonic Team. I could be missing something, but maybe you or someone can fill me in here?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

You wouldn't need to wait until after the Movie sequel to hear more about this game. Movie promotion and game promotion are happening completely separate from each other

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

You think we will get something in terms of news soon, even if it is early next year?

I would most likely expect them to show either Sonic Origins (if we are optimistic enough) or nothing during TGA2021, i don't remember the last time they've shown a trailer for a big event like this before

I want to see this at The Game Awards. If this game is gonna be a big refresh for Sonic then I think maybe it could benefit from being shown at an event like that.

They handled Forces' gameplay reveal in such a lame and corny way, just showing it on a slideshow projector screen at SXSW.

I want the reveal of Frontiers to be a bit more grand.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I want to see this at The Game Awards. If this game is gonna be a big refresh for Sonic then I think maybe it could benefit from being shown at an event like that.

They handled Forces' gameplay reveal in such a lame and corny way, just showing it on a slideshow projector screen at SXSW.

I want the reveal of Frontiers to be a bit more grand.

I just wish whatever it's shown reflects the actual product.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Why until the movie, though? I don't see why we'd have to wait that long. I mean, sure, it is Sonic, but it is not made by Sonic Team. I could be missing something, but maybe you or someone can fill me in here?

40 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

You wouldn't need to wait until after the Movie sequel to hear more about this game. Movie promotion and game promotion are happening completely separate from each other

We will likely be waiting until after the movie because Sega tends to not make a habit of leapfrogging hype cycles for Sonic games. Origins is clearly lining up its release to play off the build up of the movie and will almost assuredly be releasing in the same timeframe window.

We shouldn't even be looking for much more than the bare minimum out of Frontiers until Origins is out the door. Hence, until after the movie.

Anything else is quite frankly a departure from the norm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like I could see them marketing both Origins and Frontiers at the same time, like they did with Mania and Forces back in 2017. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I feel like I could see them marketing both Origins and Frontiers at the same time, like they did with Mania and Forces back in 2017. 

Wow, the lead up to this game really is like the lead up to Forces in more ways than one.

• Thumbs Up 3

The movie does not release until April 8th of 2022, at least from what I read. Plus, they did announce things in March before, in that Texas city event which has a name that escapes me, but maybe you all know what I am talking about. I know they might not do announcements at that event next year, but my point is that I doubt that Sonic Frontiers news will come out after the second movie. I mean, it is not out of the question that they will actually do that, but Sonic Origins and Sonic Frontiers were announced in May in a Sonic themed Direct like online event, and I doubt they will make us wait until after April 8th for Sonic Frontiers. I believe that even if not at the Texas event, they will announce something around that time before the movie. I could be wrong, though.

46 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Forces and Mania had less than 3 months between launches - which obviously isn't enough time for the traditional hype cycle, leading to the overlap.

If Frontiers is coming out toward the end 2022,  then they have plenty of time to let Origins run its course and still have a solid 5-6 mo before switching rails to focus attn on the next title.

They've already decided to bite the bullet any bypass an anniversary year. They are not in a rush about all this.

I think they MUST reveal Sonic 2022 by Sonic Movie 2 release. As someone who became a fan as a kid during Sonic X runtime, I can tell you for sure that for kids who are going to watch Sonic Movie 2, Modern Sonic is going to be much more appealing than Classic Sonic. Ads for Sonic Origins will bring attention of older movie goers because of nostalgia for sure, while kids on the hype of the movie should see ad for Sonic 2022 and start begging their parents to buy them the game. Waiting to reveal the game only after the movie's release may be huge missed opportunity to bring attention of kids and their parents to the game.

I honestly think that revealing the game this December and then sprinkling ads throughout of 2022 is the best approach. SEGA marketing should make kids drive their parents crazy about Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, phobs said:

I think they MUST reveal Sonic 2022 by Sonic Movie 2 release. As someone who became a fan as a kid during Sonic X runtime, I can tell you for sure that for kids who are going to watch Sonic Movie 2, Modern Sonic is going to be much more appealing than Classic Sonic. Ads for Sonic Origins will bring attention of older movie goers because of nostalgia for sure, while kids on the hype of the movie should see ad for Sonic 2022 and start begging their parents to buy them the game. Waiting to reveal the game only after the movie's release may be huge missed opportunity to bring attention of kids and their parents to the game.

I honestly think that revealing the game this December and then sprinkling ads throughout of 2022 is the best approach. SEGA marketing should make kids drive their parents crazy about Sonic.

I don't think that's out of the question. Its probably the most likely scenario. Going back to the Forces/Mania example, we got out first look at Forces game-play on Mar 17, which was very close to the original spring release date for Mania (remember Mania got delayed form Spring to Summer).

If the same holds true for Frontiers, we will get something more in depth to look at right before, or right after Origins ships, which would again, most likely be right at the same time the Movie is hitting theaters.

As long as the Movie is well regarded and successful, Everybody wins.... except for you impatient lot lol

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Am i reading Tails Channel leaks wrong? I get the empression that the game will have 2 control styles with boost on the special stages, and an Adventure/Boost hybrid in the open world?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

What have they published lately? Wasn't aware of them saying anything...

this guy works with TailsChannel and he made this video giving details he got from a "reliable source"

I don't know if it's reliable at all. It gives some new info but a lot of it feels like a fanmade wishlist. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Havent watched the whole thing but lots of enemy variety (after Forces had like 3 distinct enemy types)? Light speed dash is back and unlockable? Gorgeous graphics and ditching the Forces model? Sounds like a wishlist to me.

The more believable leaks have what fans "expect" to hear, not what they "want". Case in point the level design being "basic". After Colours and Forces, thats believable even if it doesn't sound good.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BubbleButt TV said:

this guy works with TailsChannel and he made this video giving details he got from a "reliable source"

I don't know if it's reliable at all. It gives some new info but a lot of it feels like a fanmade wishlist. 

The video is not official Tails Channel video, so calling it "Tails Channel Rumor"  is simply misinformation. Dakii is indeed member of Tails Channel, but his video was done independently from the website.

However, another member of Tails Channel, Azul, seems to support Dakiii's information (scroll down to Sonic Frontiers trademark post).

I trust a lot more to staff of Tails Channel than to random 4chan post, however, I'm not 100% sure that the information provided in the video is accurate.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, phobs said:

The video is not official Tails Channel video, so calling it "Tails Channel Rumor"  is simply misinformation. Dakii is indeed member of Tails Channel, but his video was done independently from the website.

However, another member of Tails Channel, Azul, seems to support Dakiii's information (scroll down to Sonic Frontiers trademark post).

I trust a lot more to staff of Tails Channel than to random 4chan post, however, I'm not 100% sure that the information provided in the video is accurate.

Huh. So it's a lot more than nothing, then.

Spoiler

Kinda bummed, as not only did the video say it'll be Sonic-only (AGAIN!), but it also said that it'll be very anime-esque in tone. There's nothing wrong with that, of course... it's just that I don't want feeling like discount BOTW after all this time.

• Thumbs Up 1