Awoo.

What particular Sonic Games would you to get see remaster, ported to PC or get a sequel of?

J.R.

I've heard from a ton of Sonic fans say what games to be remastered, ported to PC, get a sequel, ETC.

So what are the ones you want?

I would love a proper Sonic Unleashed port to PC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Lost World 2.

A parkour based moveset could work well for Sonic, Sega just needs to lean into it and not be so scared to make the player utilize it like they did with Lost World (some wall running segments had easier, spring alternative ways right around the corner). Lost World had a lot of potential, and I really wish they would take the time to polish it up a bit and give it another shot. And if not, then even a modern port would be nice. Lost World 1 is still fun in its own right and has a charm to it so I wouldn't mind having another go through it.

OR Black Knight 2 because come on. Black Knight 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Sonic Heroes should get a sequel. I don't really like the original game that much (gameplay-wise), but I like the idea of a celebrative game that brings all the major characters of the series together in a lighthearted adventure, especially since there are a few new characters such as Silver and Blaze who would be nice to have in the group. They don't necessarily have to bring back the team mechanics, just make a game where all the characters go together to a big fun adventure, even if it makes little sense story-wise; Something like Kirby Star Allies but Sonic.

Then, I would like the Advance series to get an enhanced remake or a spiritual sequel.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t know where else to say this so I guess I’ll just say it here: The Adventures.

Virtually all attention paid to both games has been about small things that vocal critics say ultimately ruin both games, but in my experience this could not be further from the truth.

The character designs, the level layouts, the immersive hubworlds, the CHAO. This is what I think about when I think of the Adventures in addition to the climactic cinematic sequences, epic boss battles, and totally rocking soundtrack. 

Adventure feels like a classic. Something about it feels legitimately 100 years old like it was lifted from the Golden Age of Hollywood, and I’m not just talking about the soundtrack, because, again, it’s totally swingin’. 

The Adventures were clearly a passion project, and I can feel that spark every step of the way. If we were ever ready to appreciate a third Adventure game, then we definitely are now.

Maybe I’m just dreaming and hoping for something that will never happen, but there is such a spark, a flair to those games that Sonic has yet to touch again.

I will not tolerate minor criticisms of these massive titles. The incredibly hyper-realistic 3D rendering of Green Forest and White Jungle should be enough to shut up anyone who says that these games “aged bad.” There is such a quality to them that time simply cannot touch!

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Team have botched so many ideas, good and bad, over the years decades that I don't know where to start with which games I'd like to see revisited, either in a remake or with a sequel. The team based gameplay of Heroes might be the last really inspired idea a Sonic game had, but it's execution was comically bad. In Colors the Wisps are much more competently implemented, but they frequently clash with the boost formula.

But I do long for a Sonic Adventure remake. There is much about the game that is genuinely great, but so much of what is good about Adventure is buried under intolerable amounts of garbage. Sonic Adventure is the game that failed to put 3D Sonic on a solid footing; perhaps making it again could finally stabilize the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to enjoy Heroes quite a bit back in the day, I actually would not argue with them bringing the concept for that game back and refining it a bit more. Though even having a port of that game on Switch (maybe alongside SA1&2 even) wouldn't be too bad as long as it doesn't end up getting botched somehow. (Also I feel like they have gone on the overkill with the classic/genesis games ports. I feel like they need to stretch the love over to some of the other games at the least)

Heck, I'll be honest, I always had this really guilty pleasure with Shadow the Hedgehog as well, even though the game is immensely flawed. Unfortunately the disconnected story, bad reception, and the fact that SEGA has been only wanting to keep to the edgy portrayal of him lately makes it a bit harder to even want to suggest a revisit of his own side game but at least with more focus on working alongside Rogue and Omega in GUN (and maybe even it being more mission-focused in some manner) would have been interesting.

Also Battle had an interesting concept for a side-game, but could have used a lot of refinement too. Though since it would be... ehhh to do a sequel to bring Emerl back (because honestly, having a character you could customize the moveset to was the charm of that game) perhaps a huge overhaul of the original game (Basically same story, but rework the entire gameplay to work within more modern standards, or even make it lean a bit towards SSB's gameplay for the fights) would be a best route to go with that one, but I felt it wasn't well-received enough to probably warrant a second glance here.

One last thing, I SWEAR every time they port 3D blast, it is of the Genesis version. At the very least if they did another mega collection that has a lot of the classic-era games and whatnot, at least please give us the Saturn/PC version of 3D Blast as well (Maybe with an option to play one or the other version)

• Thumbs Up 1

I want Adventure remakes. Both of those games are so close to being truly great as they are, and a remake of the both of them would be the perfect opportunity to iron out some of the rough edges holding them back, like the bad fishing mechanics in SA1, the bad treasure hunting radar in SA2, and the bad cutscenes in both games. Plus, if both remakes did well, perhaps we could finally get that amazing Sonic Adventure 3 a lot of us have always wanted, like how we finally got Crash 4 after the success of the N-Sane Trilogy.

Remaster-wise, Sonic Heroes and Unleashed would be really nice.

As far as sequels go, I really want a sequel/spiritual successor to Sonic Heroes. Not even one of my favorite Sonic games, but I do think the team mechanic deserves another go once in a while, and I have this vision of a Heroes spiritual successor set in an open world (city-based) with a more mission-based structure that I think would be really cool and have a ton of replay value. I'm not going to go into it here, but it's a thought I keep going back to and would love to see realized. 

• Thumbs Up 1

SONIC HEROES, since it is my favourite game in the series!!...

If I could have sequels for some games, it would be :

- SONIC 4 EPISODE 3 (I love EPISODE 2 and what they did with EPISODE METAL, it would have been magical to have a third episode with Knuckles, a new "bonus" episode like the one with Metal Sonic and probably a second "bonus" episode to conclude the three episodes)!!...

- SONIC CHRONICLES 2 (the first half of the game was average / good but the second half was so great... and I'm sure Nestor the Wise still had so much things to tell us... and I think he might be Ix'brother indeed)!!...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm over the idea of remakes. I like a lot of Sonic Adventure's core concepts but I want them to be revisited without any of the baggage 20 years of fan discourse around a game brings. I like every campaign in the game but obviously most of the extra stuff wasn't popular with most people back then. Do you consider dumping more resources in to give him actual levels instead of filler? Do you remain "loyal" to satisfy people like me at the expense of the wellbeing of the game? Do you just cut it out entirely and risk a lot of discourse about how your remake is a lesser product?  I say just sidestep the whole thing and make a new game where you can focus purely on just making a solid product. Sonic Adventure 3 would still come with high expectations, but in the same vein SA2 was able to drop some major features from 1 to focus onothers, a hypothetical SA3 should be able to do the same thing without as much pushback.

Most of the other Sonic games don't even have mechanical concepts I want them to revisit and I'm kind of bored of revisiting old locations and hanging out with old characters. I'd like to see more of Blaze and her world, I guess, but you don't need to remake Rush Adventure or anything to do that.

....I guess if you twisted my arm I'd say Sonic Lost World. No one really expects anything from it so if you do it right it could work out. I like the idea of a looser artstyle, another alien world akin to Sonic CD to explore, and new mechanics that focus on active engagement and interactivity. The story could stay simple, focusing on the friction between Sonic and Tails but executing on the concept more believably and giving some of that dead air back to the six to flesh them out. I'd also redesign them but that's just me.

Normally I wouldn't do this with a game's main idea but I'd heavily suggest the spherewalking be dropped or at least rethought from scratch. I don't even mind if the game sticks with "3D World" esque islands in the sky, I just want gravity to be consistent so some kind of real physics system can start to come together. Sonic can keep his parkour abilities but they need to be affected by the speed he comes at objects with and tie into rolling more. The spindash needs to work like it does in the older games and overall ball physics need to be prioritized. I like the squash and stretch in that game! One of the funniest things I hear from younger Sonic fans is that his running animation is cooler so they never think about the rolling ball stuff, so they should lean into that more and make rolling more stylish.

I don't think any alternate campaigns need to be added but considering Tails's relationship with Sonic is an important part of the game it'd be nice to find a way to have him in the actual game more so things don't feel disconnected. Even if it's something as simple as him following you around in some levels but not appearing if they got into an argument or they get separated, I think it would add to the story. One of my favorite Sonic and Tails moments is when Tails disappears toward the end of Sonic 2 after the Tornado gets shot down in wing fortress. It played the fact that you were probably attached to Tails at that point against the player in a cooI way without stopping the game to dwell on it. I see why modern Sonic scaled back on the story focus, but they could really use more little moments like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Heroes is by no means one of my favorite Sonic games, but it's certainly not a bad game and I think Sega have really been doing the game dirty when compared to other Sonic games. I know a lot of people really like that game, so it strikes me as odd how it's just been ignored for so long. The Adventure games, Colors, Generations, Lost World, and even Unleashed now have all either gotten some form of re-release or visual enhancement. Heroes is just being pushed off like they're trying to forget it, as if the game is in the same league as Secret Rings or Sonic 06. The game really needs to be re-released and it's so stupid that Sega are so stupid that they didn't include Heroes as an Xbox backwards compatible title. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Ported to PC? Unleashed. It's the biggest hole in Sega's current Steam lineup at the moment, so a proper port to Windows 10/11 would be most welcome. (Hell, bring it to PS4 and Switch too. HD version, if you please.)
  • Remastered? If it's the quality of Colors Ultimatenada. But if it's actually done well? Hmm... I think the Adventures only need a few touch-ups here and there to be truly great games. Obviously more substantial than most remasters due to their age - to the point where they could be called remakes - but the design of the game is fine as is in my eyes. (Okay, maybe cut Big and rework the mech/hunting stages. That's it, Sega.)
  • Remade? Sonic Forces, goddamn it. I don't care that it's only five years old; it's just not good enough. A true remake by a studio that gives a shit about quality (i.e. Bluepoint Games, possibly as a tag-team with Insomniac) could really make the concept pop in my eyes. Cut the OC and Sonic for his actual buddies being playable - ESPECIALLY my man Tails! - based the levels off of Unleashed's formula with SA-style hubs all over the world, and order a complete overhaul of the plotline handled by Ian Flynn himself. And just like that, one of Sonic's biggest disappointments is reworked into what could be his greatest triumph yet! ...so long as they don't rush it out, of course.
  • Sequel? Unleashed 2, now with Tails the Werefox. Why? Because it'd be awesome, shut the fuck up there's still a ton of potential with the formula, and I'm sure combat can be fixed by letting the Lost Judgement guys handle it. Plus, there's still plenty of locations the first game didn't cover. Prizefight with a Power Master in Las Vegas, fending off CODG (Church of Dark Gaia)-backed soldiers in England, a massive Werehog showing down with Eggy's latest WMD in the neon-drenched ruins of Shibuya... we have endless possibilities with this, people!

For remaster/port, I would be all for finishing progressively to port the backcatalog of Sonic games (of course, I understand that Shadow and 2006 might be too much trouble, I feel that 2006 should be left to the fandom in order to avoid a PR nightmare). And honestly, I'm all for using emulation if it makes it easier (for instance for Renderware games xD). Basically a collection with the Advance, a new one with the Game Gear title (or bringing them back to SADX), if possible trying to port the rush games, making available to currently ported Sonic games everywhere...

Generations/Unleashed too would deserve to be made available for PS4/PS5 (and PC for Unleashed), and would benefit for some simple remastering (Shadow/Blaze skin for Generations, QoL for Unleashed), but just not by Blind Squirrel this time. But IDK who could really work on a HE games except SEGA CS2, it would need a time for the team to learn the engine.

For remake : SA and SA2. They really deserve to get their HD Remake treatment one day. HE2 SA/SA2 would be dope.

About sequels… What I would like is a better spiritual sequel of the Advance and/or the Rush (preference for the Advance because more characters). Maybe with storyline by Flynn, but something simple, nice, with the character we all love interacting with each other. Or a sequel to something like Battle, I would love to try a modern arena fighting game with Sonic.

I'd really love a modern 8-bit collection or just straight up standalone emulation ports of the 8-bit games to PC/Switch - and most importantly including the Master System versions whenever available.  Sonic 1 and 2 8-bit on Master System are two of my favourite Sonic games and it sucks that the only way to officially play them is the original or the Wii (or put up with the downsides of the Game Gear versions on 3DS).  There's just something so unsatisfying about emulation for me even though I know it's all in my head.  It's the difference between eating the same meal on a plate or out of a takeaway box, y'know?  Adding accessibility features to them to make them a bit more fun for newcomers wouldn't go amiss (like the "always start with rings" thing they added to 16-bit Sonic 2 on 3DS, so you can take an extra hit or two in boss battles), but as a veteran it wouldn't bother me if they were just quick n' dirty ports with the basic emulator port perks like save states etc.

And... yeah PC Unleashed please dear god.

I'm not super fussed about remakes necessarily because I wanna see new stories and new locations. If the team feel compelled to make a Sonic Adventure remake, I'd rather they take that energy and invest it into making an original game using those remade mechanics.  At the very least, I'd wanna see them do something significant to satisfy a craving for new content - either a Persona 4 Golden/Persona 5 Royal-esque chunk of new stuff added into the base game, or a Bowser's Fury-style extra smaller game that makes use of the remade engine for some new content.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, McGroose said:

Sonic Heroes is by no means one of my favorite Sonic games, but it's certainly not a bad game and I think Sega have really been doing the game dirty when compared to other Sonic games. I know a lot of people really like that game, so it strikes me as odd how it's just been ignored for so long. The Adventure games, Colors, Generations, Lost World, and even Unleashed now have all either gotten some form of re-release or visual enhancement. Heroes is just being pushed off like they're trying to forget it, as if the game is in the same league as Secret Rings or Sonic 06. The game really needs to be re-released and it's so stupid that Sega are so stupid that they didn't include Heroes as an Xbox backwards compatible title. 

This might come as a shock to you as it did to me, but Heroes is considered abandonware, which means that Sega no longer officially supports it.

I would post the download link, but the work is technically still copyrighted. 

Oddly enough, it seems that the Classic Trilogy and Adventure Games were also considered abandonware until Sega decided to start officially supporting them again, probably when they were ported to new consoles.

It's strange that Sonic Heroes is so neglected when Seaside Hill is fourth place the most remade zone after Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Iko said:

It's strange that Sonic Heroes is so neglected when Seaside Hill is fourth place the most remade zone after Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary.

I only recall seeing it in generations outside of Heroes. What other appearances did that zone make in the other games by chance? Though I honestly would have more preferred Egg Fleet to have been the Heroes stage in Gen on a memorability scale for me.

5 minutes ago, KairosDialga said:

I only recall seeing it in generations outside of Heroes. What other appearances did that zone make in the other games by chance? Though I honestly would have more preferred Egg Fleet to have been the Heroes stage in Gen on a memorability scale for me.

It hasn't been reused nearly as much in the main games (it was mentioned once in Forces iirc, but aside from Generations that's about it) but Seaside Hill is a common sight in recent spin-offs.

For example, Sonic Dash and the Sonic Racing games immediately come to mind when I think of Seaside Hill returning. I believe it showed up as a location for an event in one of the Mario and Sonic Olympics too (that or Ocean Palace, but the difference is negligible).

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 should get faithfull remakes with modern graphics similar to the Crash Bandicoot N.sane trilogy.

People say that the Adventure games are too aged to pass as modern games, that the controls and the camera can't measure up to the standrad of games today. Well to that I say, once again, Crash Bandicoot N.sane trilogy. The classic Crash games are also prime examples of games that in some respects have aged to the point where some modern gamers might be taken aback by it. And yet, Universal and Vicarious Visions chose to instead of significantly change the games to accomodate a modern audience instead let the games essentially remain the way they've always been except in graphics and sound (with a few tweaks though, but not many). It's like, "well, this is what we put out back then and it's what we're gonna put out again for anyone interested. If you wanna complain then build a time machine and take it up with the 90's".

That's exactly what Sega should do. Rerelease the Adventure games, warts and all, because even if video game magazines are gonna say that they haven't aged well, there is an audience for it.

• Thumbs Up 2