Awoo.

Do you think that the Sonic the Hedgehog series should increase it's mobile phone presence?

J.R.

Sonic has had several smaller moblie games throught the past 10 years, with huge level on success. Like Sonic Dash which recently got 500 MILLION downloads across the globe.

First one being the Sonic 4: Episode 1

Do you think that SEGA should increase their phone presences as it brings in a ton of fans into the series?

Absolutely no.

I mean, there's nothing wrong in doing more Sonic games on mobile if they are one time purchases like Sonic 4 or the classics ports, but "free to play" gacha trash should stay away from the franchise.

I would love a portable Chao Garden on my phone, but I know it would be filled with microtransactions and limited time grinding events that would completely ruin the experience, so I'd rather wish they will never do it.

I'd rather have the movies to introduce new fans to the franchise than crap apps asking you to repeat the same boring task multiple times during the day only so you can play a manipulated slot machine and get random collectables, that begs you to pay for useless stuff when with the same amount of money you can buy actual games on a console, and that are filled with annoying pop-ups every 5 seconds.

It's better if the resources are dedicated to making console spin-offs instead... stuff like Sonic Riders, Sonic Battle, Sonic Pinball, etc... at least the franchise would have more presence on consoles and pc (something that nowadays is lacking if you don't count decades old games), and we as fans would get better content.

• Thumbs Up 1

The resources used by mobile game aren't money taken from console titles. Especially as those game are often made by different studios with different internal organisation. For me, Sonic should re-increase it's presence in the gaming world in general, in mobile my only issue is that the economical models aren't often something that I want to support, and it annoy me even more to see that on an IP targeted at children.

Personally I don't give a damn about phone games (okay Among Us caught me, for a time). I played Speed Battle for 1 hour and never touched again. Many of them are kinda soulless time killers with micro transactions. When I'm stuck in a bus I prefer to read a book.

With that said, I'm happy that Speed Battle exists and so many characters got a little love there.

So if we ignore ethics, sure why not. If it makes profit and keeps some characters existing, it's plus for me.

I would prefer bigger spin-offs like Riders, Rush, Advance, etc, but I have no idea if there is any correlation between those two facts.

They have a lot of phone games out. I'd be for another real platformer on the service but I'm not sure how stuff like Sonic 4 did. There's probably a reason they haven't thought about it in a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

How it can increase it's mobile presence more than that? it already have dozen of mobile games, and those successful of them like Sonic Dash still supported to this day, and make tons of money still with million of players.

Yet you still see new Sonic mobile games every now and then, like the latest racing game on Apple arcade, and Sonic at the Olympics 

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope, absolutely not.

I hate touch controls, controller adapters don't do it for me and I'm still waiting for Sonic 1 and 2 to be ported to a proper console by SEGA.

If they want to do 'mobile gamey' stuff like runners, forces speed battle or even sonic jump then I'm fine with that, but please, no platformers.

I say yeah. Mobile is one of the elements keeping Sonic relevant to young kids, and that SEGA should keep their mobile presence. However, they shouldn't try to translating console like experiences to mobile instead, focus on stuff more catered to those casual quick experiences.

Sonic Dash basically represents the action half of Sonic, they should do something more low key and fanservicey like a Chao garden. Bake in fanservice deep into the mechanics and you have something there. I mean, I'm sure you've heard all that before.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it'd be the worst idea to make original platformers for mobile if gaps between main series games are going to continue being this big. Handhelds are gone, so we won't get things like Rush anymore. "Sonic the Portable" wouldn't have been as disliked if they hadn't claimed it was Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 4

Handheld games were great until they release SONIC COLOURS : Instead of a brand new adventure, we just had another version of the "main" game and it was very disapointing : it was the same thing wth GENERATIONS and LOST WORLD!!...

On my (brand new) digital tablet, I have five SONIC games (DASH / FORCES : SPEED BATLE / JUMP 2012 / TOKYO  OLYMPIC GAMES / RUNNERS ADVENTURES) and I love all of them!!...

So, new SONIC games for "mobile" systems, ok... but real new games and not adaptations like SONIC RACING for instance!!...

10 hours ago, Razule said:

I don't think it'd be the worst idea to make original platformers for mobile if gaps between main series games are going to continue being this big. Handhelds are gone, so we won't get things like Rushh anymore. "Sonic the Portable" wouldn't have been as disliked if they hadn't claimed it was Sonic 4.

I agree with this. I wonder which would be better between a multitude of these games and a game like XDiVE, which is going on continuously with new story elements every 3 months or so, with lots of extra bosses and events in the meanwhile. Heck, I could see ports of the backlog of the series being a simple way to expand the presence of the series on mobile. SA2 would be a good start.

21 hours ago, Razule said:

I don't think it'd be the worst idea to make original platformers for mobile if gaps between main series games are going to continue being this big. Handhelds are gone, so we won't get things like Ruhh anymore. "Sonic the Portable" wouldn't have been as disliked if they hadn't claimed it was Sonic 4.

I also agree with this especially if they are 2D platformers in the style of the Advance or Rush games; they just have to find a solid way to control them on a touch screen without annoyance.

Technically, you can even adapt the 3D boost gameplay on touch screen, given how simple those games are regarding interaction (those few parts where traditional movements are required might be a problem, but I think they can be simplified in some way to make them explarable with a touch screen regardless, there's always a solution).

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say yes. As someone who played mobile games for a long time, I think a lot of them can be fun, if you know where to look. If we were to take a pessimistic view, the game would probably be free-to-play gacha trash, as many people in this thread have reiterated, but I don't see why Sega couldn't just make a normal game on a minor scale to keep fans occupied, especially since handhelds aren't really a thing anymore. Anyhow, chances are that a Sonic mobile game would be pretty successful just on the merits of the IP itself, and it would be good for bringing new people into the fandom, especially based on the success of Pokemon Go, the new mobile Pikmin AR game, and the like. Mobile controls can be annoying sometimes but that's more of a personal thing, I would say. I got pretty used to using touch controls on the Whitehead ports (though I usually play with controller nowadays). So yeah, more Sonic mobile games, or even a platformer, would likely be beneficial, and wouldn't hurt, at the very least. 

I think it would be a good idea to branch out what kind of mobile game they make since almost all of them have kind of been an endless runner. They switched it up a bit with Speed Battle but even then it's similar gameplay put into a racing game. Other than that, there was...Jump? And that was a long time ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

It really depends on whether or not mobile gaming will be the next new thing for gaming in general over consoles.

I kind of doubt that mobile has any strong showing in the future of gaming (this is of course, disregarding cloud gaming as internet speeds are not good enough to accommodate for lag for the majority of modern gamers), but I don't think mobile necessarily has to be the next big thing for us to get some games on there. I think it would be cool to see some smaller scale stuff. I mean, even TSR is on Apple Arcade right now, and people are always clamoring for a Sonic 3 port, so I think Sega investing more in mobile isn't really a bad thing, as long as it doesn't impact the quality of the mainline stuff.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about you but i found the virtual gamepad controls nearly unplayable-I bought a backbone but I think most people would save their money and play speed battle instead of the sonic 1/2 ports

• Thumbs Up 1