Jump to content
Awoo.

Sonic Colors Ultimate Patch 2.6 Fixes Save Games, Audio Mix, Credits


VisionaryofSUPER
 Share

Recommended Posts

VisionaryofSUPER

 

They also fixed the exploding the first jelly bean rocket on Sweet Mountain to actually... explode jelly beans instead of nothing.

I've also heard this patch caused the music to go into mono apparently... one step forward, and another back.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rabbitearsblog
2 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

 

They also fixed the exploding the first jelly bean rocket on Sweet Mountain to actually... explode jelly beans instead of nothing.

I've also heard this patch caused the music to go into mono apparently... one step forward, and another back.

 

 

While it's great that they are patching this game up, I still think that they should have patched the game up before they released it to the market.  So, I was wondering: do gaming companies usually release a half finished game to the market and then patch it up afterwards?  And if so, why do they do that?  Wouldn't that ruin the reputation of the company if they keep on releasing unfinished games to the market before they patched it up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VisionaryofSUPER
2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

While it's great that they are patching this game up, I still think that they should have patched the game up before they released it to the market.  So, I was wondering: do gaming companies usually release a half finished game to the market and then patch it up afterwards?  And if so, why do they do that?  Wouldn't that ruin the reputation of the company if they keep on releasing unfinished games to the market before they patched it up?

Yeah, that's sadly common in AAA games.

And in the end, the state of a game only matters in the short run as long as the underlying design is good. Color's is still a good game and people in the future won't be playing the glitchy mess Ultimate started with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rabbitearsblog
8 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Yeah, that's sadly common in AAA games.

And in the end, the state of a game only matters in the short run as long as the underlying design is good. Color's is still a good game and people in the future won't be playing the glitchy mess Ultimate started with.

So in a way, the earlier copies of Sonic Colors Ultimate were just test runs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VisionaryofSUPER
1 minute ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So in a way, the earlier copies of Sonic Colors Ultimate were just test runs?

No. They're just pre-patched.

The product had to be shipped. The deadline was done, or the team was overbudget. Whatever the case, the game was finished and in an acceptable enough state for the common masses at least. Aside from the seizure glitch, which SEGA seriously went out of their way to fix asap, Color's Ultimate was fine.

At least for the kids and casuals playing for the first time. Not much for the fans.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rabbitearsblog
7 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

No. They're just pre-patched.

The product had to be shipped. The deadline was done, or the team was overbudget. Whatever the case, the game was finished and in an acceptable enough state for the common masses at least. Aside from the seizure glitch, which SEGA seriously went out of their way to fix asap, Color's Ultimate was fine.

At least for the kids and casuals playing for the first time. Not much for the fans.

I do wonder why they didn't just delay the game.  I mean, sure I understand that once you set up a deadline, you can't change it that easily.  But if the game has a lot of bugs and glitches, then I would rather delay the game than put it out in the market unfinished. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VisionaryofSUPER
19 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder why they didn't just delay the game.  I mean, sure I understand that once you set up a deadline, you can't change it that easily.  But if the game has a lot of bugs and glitches, then I would rather delay the game than put it out in the market unfinished. 

Sometimes execs can be short sighted about how a game's state can affect future sales.

It's to be seen how Color's affects the future. But if SEGA fix it, well. I guess it'll help keep the legacy from being tarnished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rabbitearsblog
14 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Sometimes execs can be short sighted about how a game's state can affect future sales.

It's to be seen how Color's affects the future. But if SEGA fix it, well. I guess it'll help keep the legacy from being tarnished.

That's if SEGA ever learn from their mistakes. SEGA seems to have a long history of rushing out products, starting at the very beginning with Sonic 2.  It's just weird that they still fail to realize that rushing out a product is never a good thing, after all of these years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not that they don't realize that "rushing out a product is never a good thing". A lot of people within SEGA certainly realize it. It's mostly that for one reason or another, some also think that the alternative would be worse. And maybe that financially, they simply can't delay too much (not because "SEGA" as a whole would not have enough money, but maybe because the unit of production would have bleed too much money for the project and that they couldn't justify not gaining the money they need).

Delaying a game have two effects:

- You delay the gain from a project for several month. It can really mess up your budget.

- You add several month of paying a team of devs (and devs aren't exactly free)

Both things combined are rough. Pretty rough.

Sure, releasing later the game would be better, as a pure "game quality question". But it's still a difficult decision for the business behind the project. And it's even more difficult when they are other projects depending on your project either to be financed or to be relevant, and as well. Surely nobody at SEGA want to release a bad game.  But the issue are more complex than simply saying "they should delay it". The issue are certainly deeper (for instance we could question why they did go with Blind Squirrel with their track record), different between games (Forces isn't rushed the same way of SCU, for instance). It can be organizational issues, toxic or just bad management, some issues between SEGA and their contracted studios, a result of them having tight budget for their game (I mean, even the game we call "AAA" is SEGA aren't really big AAA), or maybe even more stuff.

So nope, for me it's not that surprising (I would say that often, well-finished products surprise me more in the gaming and tech/dev industries than rushed ones lol). Doesn't make the issue of the game less a problem tho, especially ones like the textures glitch, which where dangerous. Many of the other I can see why it's "we'll deal with it in a patch". This one shouldn't be that at all.

 

( There is also the question of who would/can make that kind of decision in SEGA for a Sonic game. )

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nobukitsu88
10 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So in a way, the earlier copies of Sonic Colors Ultimate were just test runs?

Just to add, the main goal for video games these days is to be in a state where it is stable and playable upon release with little to no glitches that won't ruin the experience. Sonic Colors had issues but wasn't Cyberpunk bad. Not as polished as it could have been but nothing unfinished.

Before patches though, remember a lot of games still had glitches or issues like Zelda SS or SM64. We pay more attention now because of the existence of patches to finish up last minute work. But for some games the "patch" only came for later prints like with Spyro 3 or never so you just had to deal whatever funky things happened in the games or exploit them. While developers probably were more careful and thorough back then because they knew they mostly had one chance (not being able to do anything once the discs are packaged), it would be over simplifying to say that Sonic Colors HD was a test run because of needed patches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nobukitsu88 said:

Before patches though, remember a lot of games still had glitches or issues like Zelda SS or SM64. We pay more attention now because of the existence of patches to finish up last minute work. But for some games the "patch" only came for later prints like with Spyro 3 or never so you just had to deal whatever funky things happened in the games or exploit them. While developers probably were more careful and thorough back then because they knew they mostly had one chance (not being able to do anything once the discs are packaged), it would be over simplifying to say that Sonic Colors HD was a test run because of needed patches. 

According to this game dev at least, it's much more a matter of player perspective. Word of glitches got around much more slowly in the days before patches because the internet was less of a thing too.

4 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder why they didn't just delay the game.  I mean, sure I understand that once you set up a deadline, you can't change it that easily.  But if the game has a lot of bugs and glitches, then I would rather delay the game than put it out in the market unfinished. 

It's also very easy for us players to say we'd delay a game when we don't stand to lose anything from the waiting game lol - especially if we bought it.  Even though it's what my heart wants to say, I could hardly disagree with SEGA's opinion that the game was in good enough condition that people would buy it.  I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.