Awoo.

Which name is better Dr. Eggman or Dr. Robotnik?

J.R.

In parts of the world, Sonic's main adversary had differents names. The N.A. and Europe he was knowns as Dr. Ivo Robotnik, while in the east he was Dr. Eggman

both names remained seperate until the release of SA1 when Sonic referred to him as "Eggman" used  in an english game. Ever since the two names has exsited and used interchangeably with discord amog Sonic fans on which is better.

So what do personally think? Do you they should be one name or both be used interchaneably?

I like Robotnik better just because I'm a sucker for puns.

But I do think it does have a bit more menace. It's that hard ending that gets me.

But I've gotten over my teenage hate for Eggman. I love both names equally.

I'm alright with both names, but I grew up with Robotnik.  So, this name is the first thing I associate with Sonic's greatest nemesis!

I wonder if the Robotnik name is gonna be more widely used by people in general again now that the Sonic movie almost exclusively used the name instead of Eggman. Like, I think Sonic called the guy "Eggman" once in the whoile movie? Otherwise it was always Robotnik, including in advertising and such.

This ties in to my general musings on to what extent the movie (and it's coming sequels) will affect peoples, especially childrens, perception of the franchise.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Plus I'm a Pole.In my language Robotnik literally means "construction worker".

Keep your eyes open, maybe all these Polish construction workers are only PRETENDING to fix the pipelines in the streets and are really buidling Eggman's latest evil base right beneath your towns.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

I grew up with Robotnik, but mainly call him Eggman.

There’s really no competition with the name, as the both refer to the same character—which ever you use, people who know the franchise can tell you’re usually talking about an egg-shaped human scientist bent on world domination (with the exception of the movie, where he’s pretty thin).

One of the absolutely dumbest things this fandom has done is bitch and complain about the name, but I don’t see that as often as I did during the early 2000s.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eggman sells the original intention of the character better. Yeah, his actual name just being "Eggman" would be silly, but less than the idea he's opposed to the name but bases everything he makes after it, like Adventure tried to do. 

9 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I grew up with Robotnik, but mainly call him Eggman.

There’s really no competition with the name, as the both refer to the same character—which ever you use, people who know the franchise can tell you’re usually talking about an egg-shaped human scientist bent on world domination (with the exception of the movie, where he’s pretty thin).

One of the absolutely dumbest things this fandom has done is bitch and complain about the name, but I don’t see that as often as I did during the early 2000s.

I guess the reason why the complaining about Eggman/Robotnik's name during the 2000s was bad was because it was on the heels of the franchise changing from the 90s Sonic the Hedgehog series to the Sonic Adventure series, which is arguably the point where the series truly changed permanently. 

I was an "Eggman purist" in my early teens; pretty much loathing the Robotnik name as it was mainly associated with "those ugly western takes on him that weren't even canon anyway." But in later years I've grown more accustom to liking both names; as well as most iterations of the egg-shaped madman. (though I still favor "Eggman" a bit more)

But honestly, hearing both names in the Sonic movie was pretty amazing. I still can't believe its all real, AND a sequel is on the way lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

The solution of Robotnik being his real name and Eggman being his supervillain moniker in all regions nowadays is a sublime compromise, and the only negative thing I have to say about the debate is how I hate how they handled it in Sonic Adventure by having "Eggman" be an insult from Sonic, because it completely muddied up the reception to said sublime compromise between the two names when Eggman started using it himself in subsequent games.

It's felt like an astonishingly common take to me that Sonic Adventure's sloppy dialogue should be taken as absolute gospel, to this day causing confusion as to why Eggman uses the name for himself, as if somehow this first game overrules literally every other mainline game.  Like... could it be that they fucked up Sonic Adventure's localisation in a myriad of ways?  No... no never, it's all the other games that are wrong.

While it disregards the game canon methodology behind the names though, I do also really like how the movie handled it - Sonic having this quirk of nicknaming everyone he doesn't know the name of from the start of the movie felt a bit forced and unfunny to be honest, but does mean his eventual calling of Robotnik - not even mockingly - "Egg Man" after his flying egg-shaped drones, went down so smooth.

• Thumbs Up 1