Awoo.

What Sonic characters would you enjoy to see expanded more on or seen in more games?

J.R.

So, ever since Unleashed there really has not been... alot of people to play as (except for Sonic himself) under the belief that "Sonic has so many friends, it should just be basic, like the classics."

Which a massive shame due to the fact that many of Sonic's pal being so cool (ie. Shadow). Many of them being heavily flanderized. Which mean one major trait of a character becoming its only trait.

Which one of Sonic buds do you which to see taken out of the water and put it games again? Or if you think that it is better when Sonic is alone. 

I'm a sucker for platformers with a large cast of playable characters each one with their unique way to play the same level, so I obviously prefer when other characters are playable, and I'm disappointed every time a new game has Sonic alone.

There are several characters I would like to be expanded on, mostly from a gameplay prespective, including Tails, Knuckles and Silver who I'd like to be revamped moveset-wise; but a favorite of mine is Cream the Rabbit, I would like the interaction with Cheese to be expanded more. When I played Mario Odyssey and launched Cappy into every sort of stage element and enemy to interact with them, I always thought that Cheese could be a very similar gimmick (well, minus the cap-tures).

I also did this some time ago and I'm veeeery slowly working on another one of these sheets for Tails, some day I will finish it.

Cream moveset.jpg

(picture linked from the art thread)

Honestly, I'd rather not see most of the cast again. The "Sonic's shitty useless friends" meme that emerged in the mid-2000s has more truth to it than this fanbase cares to admit. Characters were frequently created to play as copy & paste jobs of existing characters, with grating personalities, and with worse and worse character designs.

But if we are going to see some of these characters return to prominence, it should be Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. Those are the characters that are marketed like main characters, but they sure haven't been used like main characters in a long, long time. Besides, Tails and Knuckles have already served to provide meaningful variations on the core Sonic gameplay. In Sonic 3&K and Mania Tails and Knuckles each have their own unique nuances as playable characters that makes them interesting to play as and distinct from Sonic, but the core gameplay is the same. That is how multiple playable characters in a Sonic game should work.

4 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Honestly, I'd rather not see most of the cast again. The "Sonic's shitty useless friends" meme that emerged in the mid-2000s has more truth to it than this fanbase cares to admit. Characters were frequently created to play as copy & paste jobs of existing characters, with grating personalities, and with worse and worse character designs.

But if we are going to see some of these characters return to prominence, it should be Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. Those are the characters that are marketed like main characters, but they sure haven't been used like main characters in a long, long time. Besides, Tails and Knuckles have already served to provide meaningful variations on the core Sonic gameplay. In Sonic 3&K and Mania Tails and Knuckles each have their own unique nuances as playable characters that makes them interesting to play as and distinct from Sonic, but the core gameplay is the same. That is how multiple playable characters in a Sonic game should work.

Literally none of the characters have been relevant longer than they were relevant, so I don't really get what you mean. They were glorified cameos in Forces with the sole exception of Tails as usual, and the 30 minutes of fame they gave to Shadow in that DLC.

And I'm assuming Tails and Knuckles haven't been playable at all because they simply have no idea how to make their abilities work in 3D. We've already had Tails and Knuckles in 2D games,  I wanna see someone else. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Literally none of the characters have been relevant longer than they were relevant, so I don't really get what you mean. They were glorified cameos in Forces with the sole exception of Tails as usual, and the 30 minutes of fame they gave to Shadow in that DLC.

And I'm assuming Tails and Knuckles haven't been playable at all because they simply have no idea how to make their abilities work in 3D. We've already had Tails and Knuckles in 2D games,  I wanna see someone else. 

Tails has appeared in every 3D Sonic game, Amy in all of them except Colors, and Knuckles in all but Unleashed and Colors. They are playable in all of the Sumo Digital racing games, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and they are the first three of Sonic's friends to be introduced in the IDW series. Maybe calling them "main characters" is a bit of a stretch, but they're clearly the most prominent characters in the series behind Sonic himself and Dr. Eggman.

As for Sonic Team not knowing how to make Tails and Knuckles' abilities work in 3D... well, yeah, that probably is the case. They also usually don't know how to make the abilities of characters they create for 3D games work in 3D either.

3 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Tails has appeared in every 3D Sonic game, Amy in all of them except Colors, and Knuckles in all but Unleashed and Colors. They are playable in all of the Sumo Digital racing games, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and they are the first three of Sonic's friends to be introduced in the IDW series. Maybe calling them "main characters" is a bit of a stretch, but they're clearly the most prominent characters in the series behind Sonic himself and Dr. Eggman.

As for Sonic Team not knowing how to make Tails and Knuckles' abilities work in 3D... well, yeah, that probably is the case. They also usually don't know how to make the abilities of characters they create for 3D games work in 3D either.

You have to look at the quality of those appearances, not simply appearing. Most of the games those three appeared in they were not even relevant to the storyline as the focus was generally on a newer character like Shadow, Silver, or Blaze. Even after every character besides Tails got the boot, Knuckles and Amy still don't get much distinction from the rest (by comparison, Shadow and Silver were boss fights in Generations, and former was a playable character in Forces).

Sonic Boom is the only point in their favor when they were actually the main characters, but Sonic Boom is dead and gone and I think its a stretch to think anything from it is gonna influence the main series. 

The characters that usually work in the 3D games...are the ones who play exactly like Sonic already, so....just Blaze, Shadow, and the Avatar lmao. 

On 11/27/2021 at 3:29 PM, Cosmos Rogue said:

Some characters returning as unplayable antagonistic bosses would be fine too, right? 

4 hours ago, Snowikaris said:

Some characters returning as unplayable antagonistic bosses would be fine too, right? 

Eeeeeh, maybe? You generally want your villains to represent something you think is wrong with the world e.g., Dr. Eggman represents the destruction of the environment, or he used to at least. I'm not sure what the villains introduced over the past two decades represent, or could represent in future stories.

1 hour ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Eeeeeh, maybe? You generally want your villains to represent something you think is wrong with the world e.g., Dr. Eggman represents the destruction of the environment, or he used to at least. I'm not sure what the villains introduced over the past two decades represent, or could represent in future stories.

Rouge represents greed, (Fang to an even greater extent) Shadow represents vengeance/wrath, the Babylon Rogues represent pride… 

17 minutes ago, Snowikaris said:

Rouge represents greed, (Fang to an even greater extent) Shadow represents vengeance/wrath, the Babylon Rogues represent pride… 

Rouge isn't actually a villain, Shadow (should have) learned his lesson in SA2, and the Babylon Rogues are/should be safely cordoned off in the spin off series they belong to.

22 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Rouge isn't actually a villain, Shadow (should have) learned his lesson in SA2, and the Babylon Rogues are/should be safely cordoned off in the spin off series they belong to.

Antagonist =/= villain, which is to say Knuckles started as an antagonistic figure warding both parties away from his homeland. I could see Rouge being similarly troublesome.

2 hours ago, Snowikaris said:

Antagonist =/= villain, which is to say Knuckles started as an antagonistic figure warding both parties away from his homeland. I could see Rouge being similarly troublesome.

Troublesome sure, but she's not going to carry a plot the way Knuckles or Shadow did. You could have her, say, compete with Sonic to find/steal the Chaos Emeralds. But even if she wins, it's not like she wants to take over the world or do anything else untoward with them. They'd just be trophies for her.

While Rouge isn't malicious enough to be a villain, I do feel her personality is selfish enough where she can play a minor antagonist every now and then. 

The recent cover story did exactly that actually.

That said, Rouge makes a much better foil/antagonist for Knuckles. Her and Sonic are little too similar in personality and I think Sonic would leave her alone unless she messed with him. Knuckles is way more high strung and distrusting of her, which can lead to fun interactions.

Speaking purely from a place of my own selfish desires, I would like to see Team Chaotix playable again since I love them so much. Pretty much the only character I like more is Metal but he already regularly gets to show up as an enemy and I guess I'm content with that. The Chaotix meanwhile have just like nearly all the other characters been relegated to appearing in cutscenes and talking over gameplay.

I also would't mind seeing Rouge playable again because, you know, she's hot. Any excuse to look at Rouge is a good excuse.

• 3 weeks later...