Awoo.

Do you think that the Sonic Games will have better quality again?

Rabbitearsblog

5 hours ago, MH MD said:

The same exact way that Sonic Team is "bad" despite it's actual members changing a lot over the years.

That is ..if we even consider SEGA management to be bad in the first place these days, they are actually doing great in last years, consistent quality of Yakuza games, revival of beloved classics like Virtua Fighter and Streets of Rage 4 and SMB  etc, Atlus continued success, football manager continued success, even regarding Sonic...you see that they actually recognized Mania quality, and they actually released an expansion for it 1 year later, a treatment that not any Sonic game had it really, with them actually releasing it physically, and producing amazing animation shorts for Mania, and basically letting the mania brand continue to exist in various forms

a bad management would let Mania release and be done with it forever and won't even recognize it

i won't put Sonic struggle on management, or "Sonic Team" alone, cause even the failings comes from different places and good intentions, Lost World? they wanted to try something new and creative and avoid being stale and safe, Forces? people liked Generations, and like creating OC, and like edgy stories of Adventure era, so let's make creating OCs a reality in a generations style game , with a serious story, surly the kids would love it! also the engine needs upgrading for next gen, can't use outdated engine forever! which then took longer than expected, but what it failed to achieve in Forces will make up for it in next games since the engine will be "done" by then and won't eat much of development time

I guess it's true that SEGA's doing a lot better now than they did before.  At least they have other games like the Yakuza series to keep the company afloat.  I think the biggest issue they have with the Sonic games is constantly rushing them out when all they needed to do is give the developers more time to work on the games.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I think the biggest issue they have with the Sonic games is constantly rushing them out when all they needed to do is give the developers more time to work on the games.

One of the biggest issue in the industry : giving more time create two issues that make them afraid :

- The money will come later (which mean more time where they have to justify that this part of the team is a cost) than it was supposed to.

- Devs cost a lot. 1 month by ~100 devs is between a quarter and half a million (with salaries between 2500 and 5000$) just by dev time (so I'm not counting test team, QA, possible external studio to hire to make things easier, etc).

Sure, the amount of supplementary sales might make it worth it. But these things make it sometimes a risk, and bigger the more you need supplementary time, and thus make it harder to convince the hierarchy that it's needed. Especially since 2001, as it made that Sonic lost the responsibility to make their console sell better (which mean that could make their gamedev cost a bit more, as their whole console business was supposed to help).

Combined with the fact that Sonic still manage to do good despite the issues, it might also affect those decision.

Tho something might help on that front : Sonic is becoming even more than before a bigger brand than just videogame. SEGA is ready to have strategies like Sonic Prime, which is said as being more here to give a boost to sales, than to directly drive money. Combined with how much the movie might have earned money (ofc, we don't know how much SEGA earn from it), it might help justify that the game cost more, as the game might make the whole brand earn more money.

I'll also add that even if we can say that Forces didn't got "enough time/budget", the issue seems to vary a lot game to game. For instance, Sonic Teams game nowadays aren't as much broken as before, but suffer from being "smaller" than we would prefer, even some good ones like Generations. So even if the "they would need more time/budget" still exist (and IMO will continue to exist, even if Sonic gain more budget, it'll still be cheaper than your average AAA), the way they handle this eternal constraint really vary game to game.

Of course, all of this post is pure conjecture, my uncle doesn't work at SEGA--

7 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

One of the biggest issue in the industry : giving more time create two issues that make them afraid :

- The money will come later (which mean more time where they have to justify that this part of the team is a cost) than it was supposed to.

- Devs cost a lot. 1 month by ~100 devs is between a quarter and half a million (with salaries between 2500 and 5000$) just by dev time (so I'm not counting test team, QA, possible external studio to hire to make things easier, etc).

Sure, the amount of supplementary sales might make it worth it. But these things make it sometimes a risk, and bigger the more you need supplementary time, and thus make it harder to convince the hierarchy that it's needed. Especially since 2001, as it made that Sonic lost the responsibility to make their console sell better (which mean that could make their gamedev cost a bit more, as their whole console business was supposed to help).

Combined with the fact that Sonic still manage to do good despite the issues, it might also affect those decision.

Tho something might help on that front : Sonic is becoming even more than before a bigger brand than just videogame. SEGA is ready to have strategies like Sonic Prime, which is said as being more here to give a boost to sales, than to directly drive money. Combined with how much the movie might have earned money (ofc, we don't know how much SEGA earn from it), it might help justify that the game cost more, as the game might make the whole brand earn more money.

I'll also add that even if we can say that Forces didn't got "enough time/budget", the issue seems to vary a lot game to game. For instance, Sonic Teams game nowadays aren't as much broken as before, but suffer from being "smaller" than we would prefer, even some good ones like Generations. So even if the "they would need more time/budget" still exist (and IMO will continue to exist, even if Sonic gain more budget, it'll still be cheaper than your average AAA), the way they handle this eternal constraint really vary game to game.

Of course, all of this post is pure conjecture, my uncle doesn't work at SEGA--

Is it possible that Sonic Team can make the Sonic games a bit bigger?  I'm not sure how much of a budget that SEGA usually gives to Sonic Team to make the games.

3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Is it possible that Sonic Team can make the Sonic games a bit bigger?  I'm not sure how much of a budget that SEGA usually gives to Sonic Team to make the games.

I mean if the rumors are true Frontiers is sure to be the biggest sonic game we've gotten in a long time considering it would be an open world game.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, frugaljoker8 said:

I mean if the rumors are true Frontiers is sure to be the biggest sonic game we've gotten in a long time considering it would be an open world game.

it's stuff like this that has me cautiously excited. it's been so long since we had a sonic game with any real ambition.

and an open world sonic game sure is ambitious

18 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It'll depends of what they have, and what they estimate is needed. The info we have (100+ person on their japanese dev team according to Iizuka, possibly an openworld) seems to give credits to the idea that the game will be bigger than preview games, but the game might still be small compared to the industries standard on AAA.