Awoo.

Sonic characters lost to legal issues

MetalSkulkBane

Ok, I just need clarifications, because I got lost.

We all know that Penders characters are for ever lost to us. To avoid precedence same fate meets other Preboot characters.

But what about everyone created by Flynn in Archie? Or Sonic X? Fleetway?

Do we even know full list of characters that legally can't be used by Sega? (I am mean "can't" not, "let's pretend Elise never exited).

• The title was changed to Sonic characters lost to legal issues

Allegedly, the post-reboot characters are owned by Archie. I also heard all the Fleetway characters are creator-owned. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Snowikaris said:

Allegedly, the post-reboot characters are owned by Archie. I also heard all the Fleetway characters are creator-owned. 

They aren't owned by Archie. Sega needed to be the sole owner of all content, that would include those characters, produced by Archie and they had to be extra sure about that after what happened with Penders. Some idiot tried to spread a rumor that Archie somehow held rights to the reboot Freedom Fighter designs (right down to spoofing a Sega e-mail before he got booted from the Rally4Sally account).

I have heard about the Fleetway thing though; I believe that's always been the case and Ian even commented one of the writers offered to let him use the Metallix (which he obviously couldn't accept).

• Thumbs Up 1

I think there is also some kind of snafu between SOA and SOJ (possible SOE too), that prevents SOA from using Sonic X and OVA stuff and prevents SOJ from using DiC, IDW, etc. 

They’ve started to get over this, where manga characters (albeit unnamed) cameoed in IDW and archival footage of Old Man Owl has been used for a few memes. The manga, which introduced Amy and Charmy, may be a special case.

The ones I'm curious about are the characters from the UK Sonic books such as Sonic the Hedgehog in the Fourth Dimension - Cinos the Anti-Sonic was always a favourite of mine (although he would admittedly make no sense in the current canon).