Awoo.

Best/Worst Game Reveal

BubbleButt TV

1 hour ago, A Cup of Hot Milo said:

I can't decisively say worst because at the time it was revealed, people were genuinely split with disappointment and excitement. Hell, I was even one of the yaysayers at the time.

But looking back in retrospect, the Sonic 4: Episode I "official" reveal was if not the worst game reveal, was unarguably the most insulting.

Can you imagine your PR team spent five months of hyping your audience up with "we're revisiting the roots" platitudes, community countdown games, posting assets like music and concept art. et. al. only to reveal three seconds of gameplay footage?

That Sonic 4 trailer is actually hilarious. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

16 hours ago, A Cup of Hot Milo said:

Can you imagine your PR team spent five months of hyping your audience up with "we're revisiting the roots" platitudes, community countdown games, posting assets like music and concept art. et. al. only to reveal three seconds of gameplay footage?

Fortunatly Sega learned their lesson, and never went on hyping hot air for months to only release a 5 second gameplay clip.
Our 5 second clips don't have gameplay in it anymore.

Also, hot darn, look at that Sonic 06 reveal trailer.
Indeed, never mind the final product being broken, but just look at the trailer for being a trailer's sake, exciting music, story clips to get you curious, several lenghty shots of gameplay, including several revealing the new abilities and tricks the cast has, showing the Hub.

Would be cool if Sonic Frontiers got a full sized reveal like that, but I doubt it.
They have to spread the game's meager content across 2 years of marketing, probably.

• Thumbs Up 2

Whilst not the worst showcase ever, I think that Forces' gameplay reveal deserves a dishonourable mention:

The main purpose of this was to show the return of boost gameplay with next-gen graphics. And it did just that because visually this footage was tantalising with all the activity going on in the city background. But Christ did it ever leave people wanting more, and not in a good way. Some people were ecstatic and liked what they saw. And others were like "this is 42 seconds of boosting in a straight line and pressing A when a target appears". Boost gameplay had never looked more shallow. It was all window dressing for the most automated gameplay ever. Even if it was just the opening of the first level as many suspected (spoiler: its actually the halfway mark of the entire game), it did not show promise as far as the gameplay was concerned. This was the least engaging gameplay possible. Not exactly a good step after 8 months of radio silence since the game's teaser trailer. 

And Forces didn't stop there... No no no, remember this one? 

This looked like one of two things, depending on who you asked. Either it showed a janky, clunky, and automated version of 2D Classic Sonic gameplay in another Green Hill rehash that couldn't hold a candle to the also-upcoming Mania, or it was just a video of the first level of Generations that SEGA uploaded with worse music for some reason. I remember not even noticing the desert in the background when I first watched this. 

When Project Sonic 2017 was first teased, Iizuka was quick to stress that it was not a Generations sequel but was an entirely new game. So why did they decide that the best way to showcase that was to show the game looking as much like a Generations clone as possible? People absolutely tore it to shreds, pointing out the broken physics, abundance of boosters and hidden springs and the dreadful music. This isn't a general dunk on Forces. I'm just saying what happened. This trailer bombed. 

When Forces eventually revealed the Avatar, they at least did the right job there. But they really did not help themselves prior to that. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Whilst not the worst showcase ever, I think that Forces' gameplay reveal deserves a dishonourable mention:

the comment section on that reveal is so funny almost half a decade later

You've got a mix of people from 2017 who were excited, some who were nervous and also people from the present who are like "damn this game sucks"

Yeah, I was super hyped for Sonic 06 as well. Maybe moreso than any other Sonic game. I was super into the Sonic universe and characters at the time, and since it looked like a game with an awesome story, I was hooked.