Awoo.

“Learning with Pibby” Potential new Adult Swim Cartoon! ( creepypasta meets Kingdom Hearts meets CN)

KHCast

pibby.jpg

The concept revolves around a children show character named Pibby as her friends and world become mysteriously consumed by a glitchy anomaly that corrupts all it touches. She has to escape it by traveling to different CN (and what looks to be Nick, as we see SpongeBobs mirror) universes, many of which have been corrupted, along with their denizens, and finding allies to join her to fight this force, and save the worlds and her friends, while also learning things about herself along the way. She meets a Disney villain cat, and Robin-esque sidekick that join her on her journey.

It’s all very reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts in its general concept of a looming darkness consuming and corrupting universes of properties were all familiar with, with a original character having to save it all, but this takes it that extra step further with their actually being fucked up implications, death, and just overall a very creepypasta vibe. (That moment where Pibby, a children’s show character, bleeds and asks what that is, fucking hit me). 

there’s been a LOT of discourse online regarding this, so for anyone interested, here’s a Saberspark and Roundtable video on it

What characters do you wanna see get glitchified/corrupted if this becomes a thing? Personally, hoping to see Kids Next Door and Fosters Home, Chowder and OK KO get some good. (OK KO would especially be interesting since it has already crossed over and had a meta episode regarding the overall CN universe, so maybe it could be given some importance as a point of interest that Pibby and the gang need to preserve?) Infinity Train would also be another very interesting one, given how already fucked up that show gets.  There’s so much potential here.

Hopefully if this becomes a thing it isn’t something that outstays it’s welcome. As many have already said, I think this would be best in the limited series format, on something like HBO Max

194310-1635643158-wide_facebook.jpg

This was pretty cool but I hate that the way they had to pitch it gives away the twist. This would have been way more effective if it just aired on Adult Swim with no fanfare one night. It feels like the entire premise hinges on that somewhat.

I guess not everyone is on the internet and a few people will be surprised, but still. Seems like it could have been a big hit if they had just greenlit it in the first place and taken a chance on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

This was pretty cool but I hate that the way they had to pitch it gives away the twist. This would have been way more effective if it just aired on Adult Swim with no fanfare one night. It feels like the entire premise hinges on that somewhat.

I guess not everyone is on the internet and a few people will be surprised, but still. Seems like it could have been a big hit if they had just greenlit it in the first place and taken a chance on it.

Yeah true. It’s weird too, because adult swim usually seem to be the ones that say “fuck it” and just release new shit whenever without worrying about if it’s popular or not. 

Also, speaking of adult swim, hoping some of the AS shows like Rick and Morty and Samurai Jack get some love here. They’d be crazy not to include the former at the very least.

Edit: oh god, I just realized the Teen Titans Go cast probably will be in this all fucked up looking…well of course they’re gonna be there, but can we get the OG TT on the good guys side lol (inb4 it’s the reverse)

• The title was changed to “Learning with Pibby” Potential new Adult Swim Cartoon! ( creepypasta meets Kingdom Hearts meets CN)

I remember seeing this get some attention a little while back but...honestly I'm kind of underwhelmed. It looks well made and I don't doubt a good story could come out of the concept, but the pitch mostly seems to rely on "Hey remember all those cartoons you love? Wouldn't it be cool if they got all fucked up???" and that's just tired at this point. If it does end up becoming a series or whatever it might be worth checking out, but I'm not yet convinced it's not going to be a couple good ideas buried in a pile of masturbatory edginess.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Chili Dawg said:

I think I am officially burned out on crossovers.

Tbf Cartoon Network has ALWAYS done the crossover thing with their IP’s so this doesn’t feel as trend following in that regard. However as Dio did say, banking on nostalgia to carry your product has a spending limit and can only get you so far. We’ll have to see what they do with this, this was meant to be a grabbing pitch to sell it to the higher ups and grab viewer attention, so personally, I’m not gonna judge what the product will be off of just this, and if they’re able to get some talent on the writing staff, like maybe Rebecca Sugar, or the writers behind Infinity Train, this certainly could flesh itself out and be something much more than just “lol it’s Johnny Bravo and Numbuh 5, but disturbing glitch zombies”

for better or worse, I think it’s apt to compare it to KH on this, as KH while yeah, banked on nostalgia, it had its own story underneath all that and original characters it attempted to flesh out. (Hell, KH4 may very well ditch a lot of the Disney stuff judging by what we’ve been seeing). I’d certainly appreciate if Pibby took a similar approach with that, as yes, having fucked up zombie versions of characters we know will have that initial shock value and give it that distinct flavor the first time, having something deeper to build the plot on will allow it to be something more that can actually be Re watched and be something that stands up on its own

Then again, it’s Adult Swim, so I could be completely wrong, and it very much ends up just being “edgy, let’s murder literally your childhood lol” the show 

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like a series like this would really need something to help it stand out after the initial shock value wears off, because that's all it really had going for it. Like sure, a corruption of your childhood is all well and good, now what is your story trying to say???

I'm not knocking the creators or anything as a lot of work probably went into this, especially licensing all of these characters. I just don't want to give my unyielding praise to what's essentially just a creepypasta.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a idea for the show, where each episode starts out like a classic CN show, like for example, Chowder, OK KO, Steven Universe, KND, or Ed, Edd and Eddy, but then quickly goes dark with pippy showing up somehow and the anomaly messing everything up before the real meat of the episode actually begins. Idk just a idea, you get that nostalgia and disturbing twist on it, but it’s not the heavy focus of the show. 

Also looking through the roundtable video, there was apparently documents that were leaked regarding the story and characters, that suggests it may be a bit more fleshed out than what the trailer initially let on  

Spoiler

A81E3E8F-8D0C-4438-84AE-6AA4640A2419.jpeg

E7FE0FC5-0771-4CF8-A6FE-E663020B2043.jpeg

60A17BC0-F759-40E3-BA9B-C7103E3122F1.jpeg

BE3BBE55-5E6F-46E2-92C9-58E79CABF3C3.jpeg

Couldn’t find the side kick characters description, but he apparently ends up realizing he only is a sidekick because the main hero wanted him to be one, not because it’s what he actually wanted

If the Powerpuff Girls show up they better be the originals and not the 2016 (I think that was the year) versions. It would be really awkward to have all these classic CN characters looking and sounding like their classic selves and yet have the new non-iconic versions of the PPG (because lets be frank; the original PPG is iconic) taking the place of their more well known predecessors. Granted the new PPG look very close to the classic versions, but they certainly don't sound alike. I want Tara Strong and the gang back, otherwise my boomer sense of entitlement will be very offended.

• 3 months later...

Was kinda surprised (but in retrospect shouldn’t have been) that more Pibby stuff got teased today of all days lol. 

I said it before, but yeah, they’d be dumb NOT to include some of their AS properties like Rick & Morty, so I’m pretty confident in this happening lol

The full thing was from this for anyone interested 

• 1 month later...

I wonder what's been going on in production, because it seems like the show has the green light. All I've seen is people getting enraged over the metric ton of crappy fnf mods based on pippy.

2 hours ago, SonicFan3183 said:

I wonder what's been going on in production, because it seems like the show has the green light. All I've seen is people getting enraged over the metric ton of crappy fnf mods based on pippy.

Yes hello, is me. I am one of the people in this case. There's so many it's hard to browse without seeing one of them.

• Chuckle 1