Awoo.

Sonic x Steve Aoki 30th Anniversary Concert

Dreadknux

Nobody made a topic for this yet, which is surprising... but here it is. This was aired last night on SEGA's official Sonic the Hedgehog YouTube channel. The concept was for DJ/EDM musician (and ugh, NFT enthusiast 🤮) Steve Aoki to celebrate both his own birthday and Sonic's 30th Anniversary by way of a virtual concert. Featuring mostly* not-Sonic music and various Sonic characters doing... what can only be described as 'Fortnite lite dances'?

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy. Comment as you will.

* Edit: I'm actually watching this past the first ten minutes for the first time this morning and I just heard a remix of Stardust Speedway so maybe it's not all devoid of Sonic music. Still.

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 3
  • Absolutely 2

That was... bad. I expected something more Sonic-ish. Having the models making random dances looked like those fan videos you see everywhere (at one point, Tails was flying just above the ground, I moved the camera as I thought the model glitched). The music choice... why was there no Sonic song again ?

• Thumbs Up 3

If they wanted a edm group, shoulda just went with Cash Cash. They make great electronic music, are popular AND have ties to Sonic.

Hell, did they ever do anything with Madeon and that thing they teased YEARS ago?

• Thumbs Up 1

I've missed the stream, can't recall exactly what I was doing, but seems I haven't missed much.

Even as a mostly EDM music fan (not exactly Steve Aoki's genre) I must say the songs aren't perfect but quite ok comparing with some atrocities I've seen being released on the scene.

Interestingly, he played his collab with one of my favorite artists, Armin van Buuren (despite not even mentioning him) at exactly 30:00: Music Means Love Forever. As a quick overlook, it really seems the only highlight other than the Starudust Speedway remix. But if you want some good Armin van Buuren, go right into the classics.

I think that's it. Likely not watching in full. Anyone bothered into writing a tracklist? Also, is this the contender for the most disliked Sonic video? Using an extension to show dislikes, it currently says 2,8k likes x 3,2k dislikes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok that's something I'm never willingly watching again. Seriously, what an ugly bit of media to have Sonic's name on.

The fact that there's been a partnership with a strong advocator of NFT is troubling, but to then call it a Sonic concert and give only one franchise-relevant song in the whole hour whilst uncanny valley Sonic models soullessly dance with dead eyes is kinda unbelievable, somehow even by this series' standards.

Spoiler

Seriously, look down and left from this timestamp at Tails having what can only be described as seizure on the floor at your feet with an endless void of black and logos if you are as so much to think about looking behind you. This is some Sonic Dreams Collection levels of nightmarishness going on at times.

• Thumbs Up 5

My expectations for this were already low, but holy fuck it was bad.

I have no idea how SEGA approved this in the first place. A concert by Some NFT Nerd with mostly generic dance music with almost not a single nod to a Sonic song feels dumb to me, and the hilarious SFM/MMD-like dancing characters were the cherry on top of all of this, just so bad i had to listen to the 30th Anniversary Symphony all over again to unhear all of this and forget it even happened

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

This is tweet the most accurate description of the whole event 

• Thumbs Up 6

This whole concert is a harsh reminder of how old I am. Is this what people are into nowadays?

Uh ok I guess?

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

This whole concert is a harsh reminder of how old I am. Is this what people are into nowadays?

Uh ok I guess?

Well, this thing has 3K likes and 3,6K dislikes sooooo

BTW, I'm loving my "Return YouTube Dislike" add-on.

• Chuckle 2

What this concert reminds me the most of ironically enough is a series from the mid 2000s called MTV Video Mods, in which random video game characters would be paired up with licensed songs and play/dance to them in glorious PS2 quality:

What’s ironic is that despite these being made in like 2004, and this concert being an official product in 2021, the Video Mods are both better animated, better directed, and occasionally decently interesting shots in them (Anakin turning into Vader in the Episode 3 one for example) while this concert looks like it was badly animated in SFM. On top of associating themselves with someone who supports NFTs, which is pretty shitty, it’s just downright embarrassing. Like, it’s about as bad as flying Arin out to Japan to promote TSR in terms of utterly tone-deaf promotion for this series.

• Thumbs Up 1

For me this was the worst sonic event sega ever did. By far. Who thought this was a good idea? A whole freakin hour for one single sonic remix and a terribly animated geeen screen show? Who was I to expect a set of actual sonic remixes? I hope sega learned from that and that it will at least spawn some memes..

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, this almost makes me nostalgic for these weird Dutch music albums we had in the early 90's called Sonic Dance Power, that were just compilation of random trance music that had nothing to do with Sonic or Sega.

SonicDancePower.png.469ed70793373293e7f77df2aedd9cc5.png

With awkward Sonic artwork and everything. Only thing these music albums had over the concert is that they at least including competitions to win Megadrives or the occasional Comix Zone demo.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

23 hours ago, Solister said:

I think that's it. Likely not watching in full. Anyone bothered into writing a tracklist? Also, is this the contender for the most disliked Sonic video? Using an extension to show dislikes, it currently says 2,8k likes x 3,2k dislikes.

A tracklist might be useful, although I'm not the best person to do that as EDM is outside of my genre of music really.

Honestly though, I think the looooooow number of views the video has got (compared to the YT channel's usual average view count for its other 'event' videos) is probably more damning than its Like/Dislike ratio at this point. Nobody seemed to give much of a care about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Heh, this almost makes me nostalgic for these weird Dutch music albums we had in the early 90's called Sonic Dance Power, that were just compilation of random trance music that had nothing to do with Sonic or Sega.

SonicDancePower.png.469ed70793373293e7f77df2aedd9cc5.png

With awkward Sonic artwork and everything. Only thing these music albums had over the concert is that they at least including competitions to win Megadrives or the occasional Comix Zone demo.

Exactly what I thought when it first premiered! 

haha.png.b99ff27d78ea87f95dc28c3df981f123.png

Purchased them a long time ago when collecting Sonic music without looking in to them. So much disappointment, just like this concert. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I only bought the one with the Comix Zone demo, because I was an idiot and thought Comix Zone was a level from a Sonic game I somehow missed out on. Stupid since I already had the demo of Comix zone on a different compilation disc and played it, so should have known.

Oh well, at least the Sonic Arcade Album was slightly better. Still mostly weird generic trance music, but at least specifically made for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

It had some humor value. That's the best compliment I can give it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I really thought it was going to be similar to the Ohtani DJ Style "party" album, more remixed, but still similar,

Well, we still have that, and the symphony

• Thumbs Up 2