Awoo.

Your favorite Sonic cartoon?

MetalSkulkBane

9 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Even though OVA was closer to the source material at the time, I had a rough time with Sonic's personality in that movie.  I don't know, I never liked it when Sonic was too mean to Tails (even though the Fleetway comics did just that).  However, I did love Metal Sonic in this movie, so it has that going for it.

I'm not super familiar with Fleetway but from bits I've seen and what I've seen friends say about it, I don't think the two are that comparable. Sonic being a bit mean to Tails in the beginning of the OVA isn't that prevalent and you see throughout the two episodes that have a pretty solid relationship. At least for me I liked the dynamic (parts of early Archie have this too) but I found it slightly more relatable as someone who is a younger sibling lol. Can understand if the opening leaves a bad first impression, though.

29 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm not super familiar with Fleetway but from bits I've seen and what I've seen friends say about it, I don't think the two are that comparable. Sonic being a bit mean to Tails in the beginning of the OVA isn't that prevalent and you see throughout the two episodes that have a pretty solid relationship. At least for me I liked the dynamic (parts of early Archie have this too) but I found it slightly more relatable as someone who is a younger sibling lol. Can understand if the opening leaves a bad first impression, though.

Now that you mentioned it, Sonic wasn't always mean towards Tails in the OVA.  I guess that opening scene of him yelling out "SHUT UP TAILS!" really got to me.

If I had to recommend a show to a non fan it would be SatAm or Sonic Boom. I think Underground is not worth remembering at all. Sonic X is fine, but a bit boring strangely. I might recommend Sonic X to a non fan though. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is good for memes I guess.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:02 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm actually mixed on Chris himself.  While it was interesting seeing how Sonic would relate to a human character, I didn't like the fact that Chris took away the roles that Sonic's friends would play in the games, like playing as Sonic's best friend throughout most of the series, despite the fact that the games had established Sonic and Tails as best friends or have him be the one who convinces Shadow to help Sonic, when it was Amy Rose who did that.

Chris is a very uncomfortable character for me xD When I was a kid I thought he was ok, but now I see how he is annoying and useless for most of the time - and then we have season 3 starting with an young adult man who is so mentally childish and fixed about Sonic he literally turns into a child. That was weird.

6 hours ago, Raya said:

Chris is a very uncomfortable character for me xD When I was a kid I thought he was ok, but now I see how he is annoying and useless for most of the time - and then we have season 3 starting with an young adult man who is so mentally childish and fixed about Sonic he literally turns into a child. That was weird.

I actually forgot about the part where Chris started off as an adult in the third season.  That's easy to overlook since they barely brought any attention to it.

• 2 weeks later...

SatAM, I'm not afraid to admit it. Doesn't have the BEST reputation but I got into it more than any other Sonic cartoon.

SatAM is also my favourite now, which is odd because when I was a kid it was my least favourite - "the boring Sonic show". AoStH was my jam. I think learning about the circumstances those old DiC cartoons were made under when I was putting together my amateur SatAM archive made me appreciate them a lot more - it's honestly a miracle SatAM is as good as it is. For a Saturday morning cartoon show, both seasons were quite ambitious in their own ways.

For me, a show being closest to the source material doesn't matter if the show doesn't stand on its own two feet. Portions of Sonic X are the most overtly faithful to the games, but I don't remember their game story adaptations being anything special from a writing or presentation standpoint. Then again, it's been years since I watched it - revisiting a 78 episode long show is too daunting. ATLA tells an epic world-spanning fantasy adventure in 61 episodes. Sonic X is so long that I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of fans consumed the show's main story beats through Youtube AMVs lol - I know I did back in the day. It would explain the popularity of Dark Sonic, who's just kind of a nothingburger in the actual show.

While I wait for full Prime to give a 100% opinion, I feel like X still gave more of what I wanted.

Sure it had humans, but it was still about Sonic, Knuckles, Rouge, Tails, etc.

Not about Pirate Knuckle, Jungle Knuckles, Rebel Knuckles, each having like 5 lines to win me over, before switching to the new guy.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this question incredibly hard to answer until I saw the Sonic OVA listed. So, if it counts, that would be the one for me. I'm super nostalgic for that thing, and yeah, it may be objectively really bad, but perhaps that's what makes it good to me? Who knows, the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

Other than that, I really like all the Sonic shows the same - except for Sonic Underground, that of which I've never watched, and shall willingly continue to forget to get around to it for the rest of time.

Sonic Boom is also really nostalgic, as it was the first Sonic show I watched back when I was REALLY getting into Sonic for the first time back in 2017. It was exactly what I really wanted from a Sonic show at the time, though ironically I didn't get as into it as I did this next one...

I found Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to be super fun when I was watching through! Granted, I haven't watched it in God knows how long, but it was a fun little show that was made up of only goofy hijinks and 13-year-old me ate that stuff up. I distinctly remember sitting in front of the TV watching it for so long that my mom had to put a time limit on the TV for the first time. It was that intense. Wonder why I was so invested? Sometimes I don't even understand myself, honestly. This is one of those times for sure.

Sonic X is a show that really bored me when I was younger for some reason?? I have no clue why, rewatching it I've been super invested. Maybe young me was getting annoyed that there weren't jokes or quips every five seconds. I was a meta era kid, after all. Luckily my attention span has surpassed 0.00000001 milliseconds and I can finally watch the show and enjoy myself. It's a really good one, I'm currently in the midst of rewatching like I said, and I'm only really at the middle of season two I think. Definitely gonna go in for a third rewatch after this one, Sonic X is addicting!

But those are my personal opinions! In conclusion, my favorite would have to be Sonic OVA, and if that doesn't count, then... I dunno, put the names of the shows into a hat and pick one. I like them all.

I'm gonna put the ones I grew up with In the ordered I watched them.

1. Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog:

This Is my first Sonic cartoon I watched I love the comedy the humour and especially Dr Robotnik as well first aired on Channel 4 In the UK.

2. Sonic SatAM:

This Is truly my favourite Sonic cartoon show and the Intro music Is just fantastic as well. The characters really standout and the story to. This was also aired on Channel 4 In the UK.

3. Sonic Underground:

Another 90's Sonic cartoon which I like again great Storyline the characters and the Intro song to Sonic Underground Is awesome as well.

4. Sonic OVA Movie:

I got this one on DVD and what can I see about this movie. To be honest this Is my favourite anime Sonic Movie especially Metal Sonic who plays a fantastic part at the end. Again great Storyline the characters the soundtrack as well.

5. Sonic Boom:

Fun characters the comedy the humour and everything else. My favourite character Is gotta be Sticks she Is so funny and joyful to watch as well.

6. Sonic X:

I really enjoyed watching this show the storyline Is just fantastic the animations are wonderful I get Sonic Adventures 2 vibes which Is targeted the game. It gets emotional as well I cry a few times because you feel connected with that characters emotional feelings. 

7. Sonic Prime:

I enjoyed watching the first Season 1 the storyline to me was a bit confusing first as I never understand what was going on. After watching a few more episodes I started to understand the storyline and enjoying the new characters as well. Looking forward to the next Season.

So that's the ordered I watched them In.

• 3 months later...

Hands down, my favorite cartoon of Sonic will always be Sonic Satam. It had a darker, more theatrical quality to it, and the story writing was excellent. Granted, it doesn't follow the canon of the video games, but that's likely due to a lack of material at the time. I believe Ben Hurst mentioned that when he began to work on the project (one of the main writers,) they were only shown a fraction of the original 16-bit game. 

The cartoon touched on loss, freedom, bravery, fear, and a whole gamut of human emotion while still managing to keep it kid-friendly. You really bought into the idea that the characters were as human as you are. That makes a show, at least for me. I'd love to see what a third season could bring and I'd love even more to take a stab at that myself. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's got to be Sonic SatAM for me the Intro Is just nostalgic and the Intro music to It as well It brings back that's 90's vibes feelings. I used to watch It on Channel 4 every Saturday mornings In the UK that just takes me way back.

I even got the complete series on DVD boxset I have not watched It from my DVD boxset for a long time might have to watch It again.

• Fist Bump 1

• 1 month later...

Aosth will always be the best Sonic cartoon through I still love Satam  and I do like Underground and the ova hate anything after that 

Sonic Prime.

I love the story it's setting up. I love the different locations in the Shatterverse. It's so fun.

I know people don't like how Sonic is characterized, but I love how Prime Sonic is characterized. Sonic is more silly, but that isn't a problem imo.

Overall, Prime is just fun

• Thumbs Up 1