Awoo.

Sonic Announcement CONFIRMED for The Game Awards (December 9th)

Wraith

On twitter Geoff just confirmed it's a Sonic double-header tomorrow

The Game Awards then replied to a question confirming indeed more that just the movie (trailer) is being shown tomorrow:

Frontiers and/or Origins info here we come!

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Razule said:

Would like to point out now, we still have no idea when in 2022 it'll release. I wouldn't bet on this, but if the game were released earlier than usual, like summer, then releasing the first teaser in December would be a pretty reasonable thing to do.

Screw it, abandoning all caution, betting on this now. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Name reveal is definite. Either a mostly CGI teaser with a scrap of gameplay, or entirely CGI and gameplay will be revealed shortly after. Late spring or early summer release reveal.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, MH MD said:

I can't actually recall a time where sonic had 2 teasers in a row, usually the first showing is a CG trailer that shows a little, but the next showing is actually a gameplay , even if it's brief 

Team Sonic Racing had two CG teasers and it was honestly such a weird move

I hope we don't get a repeat if this. they really need to show gameplay

20 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Team Sonic Racing had two CG teasers and it was honestly such a weird move

I hope we don't get a repeat if this. they really need to show gameplay

oh...my mind always forget that "R" trailer, that's a good example

but to be fair, i recall the game leaked shortly after, before the second CG teaser, we already had an understanding of it's systems and rooster and even screenshots by then, i think even a box art? so it wasn't a totally mystery by then

FGFvoQiVIAUftW0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Just wanna say that I love this poster, man. I wasn't all that hot on the first Sonic movie, I thought it was okay, the beginning and the end were the best parts imo, but this is a fucking Sonic movie poster. I just love how much of the Sonic games is in this poster (Eggman actually looks like Eggman, he's still not fat but hopefully he'll get there, we've got the Tornado, and there's even a Buzzbomber in the background. Iirc, in the first movie it was pretty much all boring generic robots). If this is truly indicative of what the sequel will be like, then let's go, I am ready for it.

Oh, yeah, also relieved at the Sonic Frontiers confirmation. I knew it had to be there, but with SEGA, never hurts to have additional confirmation. Now, can we get some gameplay, perhaps? Please?

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

FGFvoQiVIAUftW0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Just wanna say that I love this poster, man. I wasn't all that hot on the first Sonic movie, I thought it was okay, the beginning and the end were the best parts imo, but this is a fucking Sonic movie poster. I just love how much of the Sonic games is in this poster (Eggman actually looks like Eggman, he's still not fat but hopefully he'll get there, we've got the Tornado, and there's even a Buzzbomber in the background. Iirc, in the first movie it was pretty much all boring generic robots). If this is truly indicative of what the sequel will be like, then let's go, I am ready for it.

yeah I honestly hated the first film but you captured my thoughts perfectly here

the sequel's gonna be way better

I'll update the title to reflect the confirmation. If Dread thinks this needs a new thread instead anyone can make one.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to Sonic Announcement CONFIRMED for The Game Awards (December 9th)

Neat poster. Gives off Sky Chase/Plane stages in Unleashed vibe. Wonder if something akin to the Death Egg will appear in the sequel???

Oh shit. Hype mode activated. It's really happening. It's like if you believed in Santa Claus and he magically appeared right in front of your eyes. You always hoped and wondered but now it's for real.

It's not just that they're going to reveal the new Sonic game, it's that they're making such a big production of it. Whens the last time that that's happened? A decade ago? I was kind of resigned to the idea that they were slowly giving up on Sonic as a game brand, what with all the cheap, low effort games. But this feels like an attempt to revitalize things, and to actually give a damn. 

Of course, it's entirely possible that it's still the same old Sega and the same old Sonic, and that this is something being bolstered only by the success of the movie and not out of a genuine improvement. But we'll find out soon enough.

And I gotta say, that poster for the sequel looks really slick. That's the kind of Sonic movie I'd want to watch. Makes me wish that they had been like that from the beginning. As that one guy said in Iron Man, "Maybe you should've lead in with that."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 4

I want to be excited for both announcements, although I am more confident about the quality of Sonic Movie 2 than the next game, I realise the movie isn't for everyone, but I hope both will be awesome so I officially end this movies vs games I started in the past.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm glad we are close to some new game information after what, 6 months (?) radio silence. If the leaks are at all true I'm more interested to know what's happening with Origins than Frontiers but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, cant be too disappointed with low expectations right?

As far as the movie goes, I think Tracy Yardley has said it best so far. The poster does knock it out of the park, but I'm personally hoping for more Sonic'ness in the Sonic movie and less of Hollywood's here's a bunch of human characters cause you can't possibly relate to the already massively successful character/s from the IP we wanted to use, and while we are at it let's bring them into the real world for some "hilarious" fish out of water action, clueless executive take on things.

In order to try and help Sega with this big reveal, I offer them a quick little checklist.

DO:

• Show some sort of gameplay, or at least make the game mechanics clear, so we can finally confirm or deny the leaks
  • Give an idea of the game's story, the themes and tone
  • Show the game's world off and see what we're getting in terms of visuals
  • Make it clear who the characters are and who's playable (i.e. make it clear that's it's probably Sonic-only)
  • Introduce any new characters in an interesting and intriguing light
  • Drop the title and a release date

DON'T

• Show the barest little teaser that does nothing to explain anything about the game.
  • Announce "The next Sonic game... will be announced on March 5th" or some shit like that
  • Reveal that "the next Sonic game" is Sonic Dash 3 or some shit like that
  • Have Classic Sonic jump into frame with a grin and ruin everyone's hopes immediately like you did last time
  • Have the avatars return unless they feel like a part of the story and have something worthwhile to do
  • Shove nostalgia down everyone's throats again (Green Hill is strictly verboten)
  • Make a fool of yourselves in front of millions of people at a large gaming event (probably the hardest one on this list)

I can laminate it if needed.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, Gloved Frontiers said:

In order to try and help Sega with this big reveal, I offer them a quick little checklist.

DO:

• Show some sort of gameplay, or least make the game mechanics clear, so we can finally confirm or deny the leaks
  • Give an idea of the game's story, the themes and tone
  • Show the game's world off and see what we're getting in terms of visuals
  • Make it clear who the characters are and who's playable (i.e. make it clear that's it's probably Sonic-only)
  • Introduce any new characters in an interesting and intriguing light
  • Drop the title and a release date

DON'T

• Show the barest little teaser that does nothing to explain anything about the game.
  • Announce "The next Sonic game... will be announced on March 5th" or some shit like that
  • Reveal that "the next Sonic game" is Sonic Dash 3 or some shit like that
  • Have Classic Sonic jump into frame with a grin and ruin everyone's hopes immediately like you did last time
  • Have the avatars return unless they feel like a part of the story and have something worthwhile to do
  • Shove nostalgia down everyone's throats again (Green Hill is strictly verboten)
  • Make a fool of yourselves in front of millions of people at a large gaming event (probably the hardest one on this list)

I can laminate it if needed.

Can we have this in the form of a Bingo card?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

My dream as I already said is to have Sonic - Tails - Knuckles playable and switchable in the open world, a la certain Sonic 3D fangames which I don't remember the name, plus movie skins as DLC.

A more real take would be have Sonic as only playable character, but you can use Tails to pilot the Tornado and fly across the open world faster, a mix of the horse in BotW and the Loftwings in Skyward Sword, and that Braviary Pokemon in Legends Arceus.

49 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Can we have this in the form of a Bingo card?

uBwJsMW.png

here you go, I just whipped this up now 

• Thumbs Up 4

How do you make a Bingo card and not put Zavok on there? Epic fail.

Spoiler

You could make an open world game even cooler by having multiple planets tho. Look up in the sky and see Little Planet, Lost Hex and the Space Colony Ark all doing flybys.

Zavok can stay if they give me all that.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, BubbleButt TV said:

uBwJsMW.png

here you go, I just whipped this up now 

Considering the space on the bottom left you made, if this is an open world Sonic game, I wonder if there will be any 2D sections at all? It's not impossible, but I am not sure of that completely, to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

How do you make a Bingo card and not put Zavok on there? Epic fail.

Hide contents

My bingo card from Monday's got you covered:

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Considering the space on the bottom left you made, if this is an open world Sonic game, I wonder if there will be any 2D sections at all? It's not impossible, but I am not sure of that completely, to be honest.

Rise of Lyric was semi-open world and had 2D sections. Mario Oddessy did as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Gloved Frontiers said:

My bingo card from Monday's got you covered:

spacer.png

Rise of Lyric was semi-open world and had 2D sections. Mario Oddessy did as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I knew something was wrong with what I thought, actually. Thanks for pointing that out.

10 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

The same rumor that said it would be open-world also said there would be sections where Sonic goes into cyberspace and it plays like a Generations level. If anywhere, it'd be that.

• Thumbs Up 4

I tried making a bingo... but I didn't feel creative as most details are apparently leaked or I read about them so in a way I'm influenced by them. Anyway, it feels incredibly basic and safe, but here it is:

One thing I didn't add was that it will most likely have some kind of exclusivity/partnership while also being on most platforms, kind of like Epic Games with Colors Ultimate.

As for the Switch version... I'd rather not have one if it has to be crap.

my bingo.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I really hope FRONTIERS will be shown (with a new vilain if possible) and maybe ORIGINS!!...
I really don't care about the movies... but I'm happy if other fans want to see things about the movies!!...