Awoo.

Junkie XL's Sonic Score

ehh123

What did you think of Junkie XL's score for the original Sonic movie?

I thought it was OK. Honestly, what surprised me was how traditional it sounded. I thought he was one of those composers who went to the "Hans Zimmer School of Droning Ambiance", so to hear him have a leitmotif for Robotnik was a pleasant surprise. Apparently, he wanted to put in more musical callbacks to the original Genesis games but was SEGA limited him on those options. Hopefully, we'll here more of them in the sequel.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

It's a score. Kinda unremarkable in places while serving it's function. The only real theme I felt stood out though was Robotnik's theme, if only for sounding like a more sinister version of the AoStH theme.

I do hope that for the sequel maybe he pulls in a little deeper with the genre diversity rather than the generic film score of the first one.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:29 PM, ehh123 said:

What did you think of Junkie XL's score for the original Sonic movie?

I thought it was OK. Honestly, what surprised me was how traditional it sounded. I thought he was one of those composers who went to the "Hans Zimmer School of Droning Ambiance", so to hear him have a leitmotif for Robotnik was a pleasant surprise. Apparently, he wanted to put in more musical callbacks to the original Genesis games but was SEGA limited him on those options. Hopefully, we'll here more of them in the sequel.

I think it's fine. I guess.

Anyway, it's looks like you are in luck. He is going to return to compose the score for the sequel. This was announced last month.:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/12/08/tom-holkenborg-junkie-xl-to-return-for-jeff-fowlers-sonic-the-hedgehog-2/

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, KnuxDLX said:

Is this the Junkie XL who remixed Britney’s And Then We Kiss???

It is. He knows what he’s doing.

I know him more for his remix of Elvis Presley's "A Little Less Conversation".

12 hours ago, ehh123 said:

I know him more for his remix of Elvis Presley's "A Little Less Conversation".

I’m from Memphis, Tennessee and we don’t listen to Elvis Presley we listen to Britney Spears. 

spacer.png

Listening to it standalone it's pretty forgettable generic movie stuff to my ears, with plenty of the score being too beat-for-beat attached to what was happening on-screen to be enjoyable outside of the movie (which isn't a bad thing, it works in context), but that aside, I do really love the themes they did for Robotnik and especially Sonic.  I listened to the closing credits' "Sonic the Hedgehog" track many times after the film came out, and (while they technically come first in the context of the film's narrative) the various more dramatic reprises of it that show up in the movie, particularly the climax, were really nicely done.

• Thumbs Up 1