Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

11 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Almost every single IP, series, or franchise was unknown to audiences at one point. The aforementioned Chronicles of Narnia was unknown until... It wasn't.

You know, I want to see more Sega IPs get movies and don't think their cultural awareness is necessarily a conversation killer (I think a bigger factor is that Sonic being a success makes Sega an ideal partner for other/riskier projects), but comparing old Sega games to Narnia is just... nonsensical. Kids had read the Narnia books for decades and the series enjoyed a lot of popularity for ages before the Walden Media adaptation. It's not even the first adaptation of note, since you have the 80s BBC versions and the Bill Mendez animated adaptation of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe before that. Narnia was a series a lot of kids got into at my grade school over a decade before the first Walden Media film came out. The books received a crazy number of editions and reprints around the world. You're comparing Garfield to Denver the Last Dinosaur in terms of popularity and cultural impact.

By focusing on the model without shoes and gloves we distract ourselves from the nightmare fuel one without eyes at the bottom XD

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Info about the character seen in the end.:

Hide contents

In a recent interview, Sonic 2 director Jeff Fowler told Polygon about the planned dynamic for Sonic and Shadow in the third film. He said that while everything is in its early stages, Shadow is just a “totally a different character” when compared to Knuckles or Tails. Speaking via Zoom, he said, “I think what fans respond to about him is that he’s a bit more no-nonsense, and definitely very in contrast to the other characters.” Shadow’s presence does suggest a possible new tone for Sonic 3: It wouldn’t make sense to apply the sort of fish-out-of-water humor used with Knuckles to Shadow.

Fowler says teasing Shadow at the end of Sonic 2 was an exciting callback for him. In 2005, he worked on the cinematics for the 2005 video game Shadow the Hedgehog. “It’s amazing to come full circle,” he said. “We were so proud of the cinematics that we created for the game. And it was just three shots at the end of this film, but getting to do a cinematic tease for him was just a dream come true.”

Source

I remember reading that and thinking “oh, that’s real cool.” The CGI scenes in those games looked pretty fantastic, imo.

plot twist, Jeff’s goal is to revisit the story of that game in the films with one single story

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Tornado said:

Fucking never. If you need to pull this justification out of your ass about how some studio should violate all common sense and pour a hundred million dollars into franchises largely ignored when they were new decades ago, try an example as a point of comparison that isn't one of the most well known pieces of children's literature of the past hundred years; frequently held up as the younger reader's equivalent of Lord of the Rings.

You'll still be wrong, but you'll look much less laughably foolish.

I came up in the 2000s (elementary school), and I never heard of Narnia until the movies 😭 so maybe it's just a generational thing? 

Either way, there are still plenty of other movies that were a success based on the strength of concept alone:

- Jurassic Park

- Star Wars

- ET: Extraterrestrial

- Independence Day

- Golden Compass 

- Bad Boys

- Terminator

- RoboCop 

It's not impossible for a movie like NiGHTS specifically to blow audiences away with the right director to envision these fantastical landscapes e.g.

-no5k38.jpg.b1b965e398264868b33c07e5d53431ce.jpg

That's how Avatar was a success. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Either way, there are still plenty of other movies that were a success based on the strength of concept alone:

Directed and Produced and Written by James Cameron post-Titanic. Started development before any of the examples of games you posted even existed, by him. A passion project by a virtually untouchable auteur filmmaker with two decades of humongous studio hits to that point who kept pushing back its development until technology would actually allow it to be made.

- Jurassic Park

Directed and produced by Steven Spielberg. Based on a very bestselling book by a prolific author (who Spielberg was close friends with) who had already had multiple successful novels turned into successful film and television adaptations and would continue to for the rest of the decade. Had a concept that Hollywood was so sure would be a success that multiple directors and film studios started a bidding war for the movie rights before the novel was even finished.

- Star Wars

A personal passion project entirely from the mind of one person who fought for years to get it made, with the constant campaigning of one of the biggest directors of the 1970s (who he was close friends with) and a highly placed executive needed at Fox to get it done.

- ET: Extraterrestrial

Directed and Produced and co-written by Steven Spielberg after he had already become a multiple time blockbuster director and a personal passion project for him based on experiences from when he was young.

- Independence Day

A major tentpole summer blockbuster studio film from the start, starring someone whose name was already synonymous with the term "A-List" and would be for 15 years further; and a huge breakout star from one of the examples above.

- Golden Compass 

Flopped so hard that it led to the company that made it being effectively dissolved by the parent entity the next year; so probably not an example you want to bring up for why an adaptation of obscure Sega game franchises would work in film even if it wasn't based on an award-winning bestselling novel (which it was).

- Bad Boys

Relatively low-budget action vehicle for someone that Hollywood had already been grooming to be the biggest star on the planet and a director that the studios wanted to take a shot on. Buddy cop films were also pretty far removed from being untested waters by 1995, as well.

- Terminator

Extremely low-budget film by a small studio that was directed and written as a passion project by (again) James Cameron just after he started becoming a name in Hollywood (albeit green-lit before then).

- RoboCop 

Made on a modest budget by a small studio (the same one that made Terminator, in fact) by an unknown director based on a script written by an executive at Universal who had it as his passion project. This is about the closest you might have for an example if it wasn't also a passion project of one person from the start and if something like a NiGHTS movie could possibly be made for a budget that wouldn't rival the GDP of some countries. It's also so wildly out of sorts with all of your other examples, so I'm curious what the connecting tissue is.

It's not impossible for a movie like NiGHTS specifically to blow audiences away with the right director to envision these fantastical landscapes e.g.

-no5k38.jpg.b1b965e398264868b33c07e5d53431ce.jpg

That's how Avatar was a success. 

So a production company just need to get one of the two most successful auteur directors in the history of film completely personally invested in the project, a 15 year production history to work on the script/worldbuilding and a 300 million dollar budget; and that's all that is needed to get a NiGHTS movie needs to be a success. I will grant that now that Will Smith is persona non grata in Hollywood for a few years, they might have to overcome that aspect, but maybe they can cast Tom Cruise instead. He's even Paramount's guy.

Realistically, if you wanted a real example of how something like that could come to be, you would have brought up Alita: Battle Angel; because that was a somewhat obscure property that someone in Hollywood fell in love with and fought for years to help another major director bring to screen; producing it and helping get funding and even writing the screenplay. Except that still required James Cameron specifically to be personally invested in the project for nearly two decades and it might have broken even after all that work but probably actually lost money.

• Fist Bump 2

Hey guys!

Nice to be in here! I'm not sure if this is the right place to comment this, but it's the one that seems the best fit to me.

I loved the Movie and wantted to collect as much as I could, so about sonic 2 Movie Toy line, I'm form Canada and its barely impossible to find anything, we just started to get the Tornado and Eggman Playset this week, and just a few units on the East of BC. I haven't seen more than 2 units for the 4inch figures in 1 month (movie versions), and just a few packs witht he 2.5 inch figures. Nothing about the 3 pack 4" figures with sonic variations neither. So that makes me wonder, is the same on US or othe rplaces? Its that hard to find Sonic 2 Movie Toys?

Also I've been searching the Jackks pacific website and they seem to be missing some toys, so I wonder, was ever released a full list of Toys for the Sonic 2 Movie? One good exmaple is the Target exclusive wiht the 3 sonic in costumes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, apparently, the Mario movie got delayed to next year. So, it won't be release this year.  Its new release date is a day before the 1st anniversary of Sonic movie sequel.

This didn't aged well. Lol.:

Tyson did make a joke and he did show some support for the Mario movie.:

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/23/2022 at 11:45 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I guess we'll see what numbers Sonic 2 will make overall in the box office in the next few months.

I'd be pretty surprised if Sonic 2 won't take the overall No. 1 spot for videogame adaptations. The movie still hasn't seen a release in some countries including Japan, where SEGA has a huge fanbase! 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, FabianTheHuman said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Sonic 2 won't take the overall No. 1 spot for videogame adaptations. The movie still hasn't seen a release in some countries including Japan, where SEGA has a huge fanbase! 

Sonic has never been very popular in Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the first movie didn't do that well at the Japanese box office.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Sonic has never been very popular in Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the first movie didn't do that well at the Japanese box office.

That is easily explained the second point

the pandemic had started by then since the movie was released late there

plis how was sonic never popular in Japan?

10 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

He just never caught on over there. Sonic's deeply rooted in American culture and they've never really targeted Japan as a primary audience. i mean, hell, Sonic X Season 3 only existed because the show did well in America. It didn't even air in Japan until years later.

• Thumbs Up 3

21 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

That is easily explained the second point

the pandemic had started by then since the movie was released late there

The SEGA Genesis was not popular. And that was basically Sonic's heyday. He got a small boost during the adventure era, but SEGA squandered it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some behind the scenes pictures released by Mr. Fowler.:

The movie will only be in theaters for a few more weeks. After that, it will headed straight to Paramount Plus.:

Also, some popsicles released by a Brazilian ice cream company. They did one for the first movie.:

Also, the company did make a little nice response in English and they also retweeted the tweet that I posted.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Some behind the scenes pictures released by Mr. Fowler.:

The movie will only be in theaters for a few more weeks. After that, it will headed straight to Paramount Plus.:

Also, some popsicles released by a Brazilian ice cream company. They did one for the first movie.:

Also, the company did make a little nice response in English and they also retweeted the tweet that I posted.

I thought the movie will still stay in theaters at least until the summer. It still needs to air in other countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

They actually made a physical prop of the compass? That’s insane(ly cool). I’m trying to think if any human character actually held it to need a prop making for it. Maybe deleted scenes? (Edit: Oh yeah I think Eggman did briefly hold it to put it into the floor puzzle bit on that remote island, nvm!)

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I was wondering, would they give Tails a slightly bigger role in the third film or at least let him have his own big moment to shine.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Well, if Rumours are to be believed, Tails will get his time to shine... IN HIS OWN MOVIE!:

SOURCE: Exclusive: Tails Solo Movie In Development (giantfreakinrobot.com)

I would take this as a grain of salt because that source isn't reliable. A popular Sonic fan know that this news source had been spreading news that proven to be false. Also, that article was 2 months ago.:

Anyway, some stuff that I found.:

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I would take this as a grain of salt because that source isn't reliable. A popular Sonic fan know that this news source had been spreading news that proven to be false. Also, that article was 2 months ago.:

I know, But they did correctly predict that a live-action series would be produced for Paramount+!

Sonic The Hedgehog Spinoff Series Happening, Our Scoop Confirmed (giantfreakinrobot.com)

I understand it probably won't happen, and I will wait until we get official confirmation, but I REALLY want this movie to happen, if only to give my favourite character some more time in the limelight!

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I know, But they did correctly predict that a live-action series would be produced for Paramount+!

Sonic The Hedgehog Spinoff Series Happening, Our Scoop Confirmed (giantfreakinrobot.com)

I understand it probably won't happen, and I will wait until we get official confirmation, but I REALLY want this movie to happen, if only to give my favourite character some more time in the limelight!

If true I wonder if they’ll adapt the battle bird armada. Or even try to tie the Babylon Rogues to them.

18 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

It's important to remember that even if the movie itself doesn't make that much more than the first once it's out everywhere, it has a massive advantage over the first in merchandise.

I'd imagine it'd be seen as a success regardless though, given theaters are still recovering from the pandemic and it beat both Morbius and Fantastic Beasts.

• Thumbs Up 1