Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

As wonderful as that would be I think it won’t reach that high. It’s running out of steam and leaving theatres, or theatres only have 1-2 showings of it per day. I saw it again today here (UK) as a pick-me-up after a crappy weekend and was the only one in the whole cinema, although I do think it’s done phenominally well to still be in the cinema here 2.5 months after release day. Bad Guys released at the same time and seemed to just fizzle away quickly. I don’t think Japan will be a huge market for it (although I am hugely interested in any changes they make to the move for that audience).

I do think it will continue to pull in money on digital release/DVD/Blu-Ray though when the time comes. Merchandise seems to have done pretty well too. Build-a-Bear are probably weeping at just how much more money they could have made if they actually manufactured enough stock to meet the sheer demand lol.

2 hours ago, caitash said:

As wonderful as that would be I think it won’t reach that high. It’s running out of steam and leaving theatres, or theatres only have 1-2 showings of it per day. I saw it again today here (UK) as a pick-me-up after a crappy weekend and was the only one in the whole cinema, although I do think it’s done phenominally well to still be in the cinema here 2.5 months after release day, Bad Guys releases at the same time and seemed to just fizzle away quickly. I don’t think Japan will be a huge market for it (although I am hugely interested in any changes they make to the move for that audience).

I do think it will continue to pull in money on digital release/DVD/Blu-Ray though when the time comes. 

I do wonder how come movies like "Top Gun: Maverick," "The Batman" and "Spider Man: No Way Home" were able to make over $700 million in the box office, but Sonic 2 only made close to $400 million in the box office (not that it's a bad thing.  That's actually pretty impressive for a video game movie)!

Since Sonic 2 is coming to Sky Store tomorrow in the UK will the bonus edition have the short film?

10 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder how come movies like "Top Gun: Maverick," "The Batman" and "Spider Man: No Way Home" were able to make over $700 million in the box office, but Sonic 2 only made close to $400 million in the box office (not that it's a bad thing.  That's actually pretty impressive for a video game movie)!

Family movies that aren't Disney/Pixar don't tend to do heavy-hitter numbers. Especially not one that's a video game movie. For reference Sonic 2 isn't that far behind Warcraft or Detective Pikachu (which is a Pokemon movie, one of the biggest merchandising properties on the planet). Even the first Lego Movie did about $468m worldwide and that really took off. Sonic 2 has done extremely well, these aren't low numbers for its bracket. The other thing with family films is that they get a second wind on home release. 

It sadly won't hit $500m worldwide. Good word of mouth from 2 and a mostly simultaneous worldwide release might give Sonic 3 a chance to break that milestone, but what we could be seeing is a limitation in the amount of pull the Sonic series has with cinema goers. Time will tell, but breaking $300m is no slouch at all and both Sonic movies have done that. Paramount and Sega are eating, basically. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

They got a China release for starters, so they got an extra boost there. And Sonic's worldwide perception isn't as widely recognized as those properties.

Of course, Top Gun got a much higher domestic push, so that's the major outlier here. 

5 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

They got a China release for starters, so they got an extra boost there. And Sonic's worldwide perception isn't as widely recognized as those properties.

Of course, Top Gun got a much higher domestic push, so that's the major outlier here. 

When does Sonic 2 release in China?

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Probably not as a theatrical release at this point. Unless Paramount want to do a limited one. 

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Keep in mind too that China still has strict lockdowns in place due to their "Zero COVID Strategy". So I doubt Sonic 2 would see a theatrical release there, even if Paramount wanted too.

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Keep in mind too that China still has strict lockdowns in place due to their "Zero COVID Strategy". So I doubt Sonic 2 would see a theatrical release there, even if Paramount wanted too.

Well their zero Covid strategy is not working since Covid is pretty much endemic now so we have to accept the fact that people will get really ill from this. 

A new Sonic the Hedgehog 2 How this Should have Ended just came out!

8 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

7 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

Probably not as a theatrical release at this point. Unless Paramount want to do a limited one. 

Well, here is a Chinese poster and an release date for the country is still yet to be confirmed. This was posted back on April. A few years ago, I remember the first movie was supposed to be released in China on February, but got delayed because of the pandemic. It was finally released on July 31 and it was the last country to get the movie. Unfortunately, it didn't do well there.

Also, Japan is getting the movie on August which is 4 months after the movie is out. The first movie was originally going to be out there on March which it would be a month after the movie is out in US and most parts of the world. However, it got sadly delayed to June due to the pandemic.:

I don't know about Russia. However, these stuff were supposed to be released in Russian cinemas. I don't know if these will see a day of light, because the movie was supposed to be out in Russia on March, however, sadly got indefinitely delayed there and the theatrical run in most parts of the world had ended.:

Spoiler

4xg1maekhk081.jpg?auto=webp&s=9fc68a717ad680c6b9f267bf5a63c5964eb5caa6

• Thumbs Up 1

Paramount Plus has finally launched in the UK today bit unfortunately Sonic 2 is not on there neither is Sonic 1. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, The Famous Sonic said:

Paramount Plus has finally launched in the UK today bit unfortunately Sonic 2 is not on there neither is Sonic 1. 

That’s disappointing. Sonic 1 is still on Netflix isn’t it?  Wonder if it might be like a Disney+ pre-existing licencing situation, where some of their movies had to ‘run out’ on Netflix before it can move to their own platform.

So, this VTuber will played an role for the Japanese dub of the movie. I assume she will be playing Ozzie. Pretty cool, this is the first time seening a VTuber playing an role in the movie.:

• Way Past Cool 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:47 AM, VO.SUPER said:

The first proper Japanese trailer is out. And, did Uptown funk get replaced by Green Hill?

It... it did. And now I am sads.

9 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Trust me, it was for the best.

Uptown Funk is kind of a lame song anyways.

Oh no, I'm sad that only JAPAN gets the cooler songlol. Uptown Funk, while "fine," just... isn't Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I saw a sponsorized ad on instagram that said the movie is out on digital platforms in Europe. Is this true? Where? It doesn't specify what platforms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 7:01 AM, KingMario05 said:

Oh no, I'm sad that only JAPAN gets the cooler songlol. Uptown Funk, while "fine," just... isn't Sonic. 

What? Just like gangsters paradise wasn't sonic in the trailer from the first sonic movie? And that one got slashed like the first design of Sonic.

Uptown Fuck while upon closer inspection was a weird one, but it didn't detract massively from the scene. They choreographed it well around it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 3:41 AM, CaptainRobo said:

Some new toys and some Halloween costumes to be released this Fall.:

Dude, that Eggman coat be ROCKIN' it though. 

• 5 months later...
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 1 month later...

So I was wondering, with Sonic the Hedgehog 3 coming up soon, what do you think needs to happen in that movie for it to beat Mario in the box office (if that's possible)?

Having Shadow on board helps a ton. Getting a quality high profile voice actor would help even more. If Jim is out as Eggman, you can pretty easily slide his budget over to finding some A-Lister to VA for Shadow without even thinking about it.

He still needs to leave a strong first impression in trailers tho. Knuckles accomplished that, his debut "you think I need your power" was spectacular. but they may need to have a scene that can top even that reveal for Shadz.

Also, Sega can help quite a bit. Drop Frontiers 2 close the movie date to synergize hype. (especially if the game is good)