Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

Oh wow it actually happened!

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they take their time with this one like they did with the first one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome news. Not surprising since it did so well but wasn’t expecting an official announcement yet.

Really hope they use Super Sonic. Even if they need to rework the chaos emeralds a bit to fit in a movie.

I really do not think adding Knuckles would be too many characters. We see his tribe in the first and he’s the one most likely to help Robotnik.

It could definitely be something like Sonic and Tails vs Robotnik and Knuckles until he realizes he’s the villain.

If we get a third, I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to go all in and make a Sonic Cinematic Universe.

4 hours ago, Stay at Home Ultima said:

Oh wow it actually happened!

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they take their time with this one like they did with the first one.

Well, to be fair, the first movie didn't take so long on the script level, and when production started, it moved pretty briskly.

Most of what delayed the movie was just sorta cooperate politics, such as the switch from Sony to paramount, or working budgets, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have A LOT to say about this, really! 

First off I'm just happy we are getting the same crew to work on it. Probably the biggest thing I wanted to hear, those guys made the miracle happen, I just tweeted it to Fowler, making my compliments to him and the team, he's really passionate.

Obviously it's not a surprise, if I'm allowed to speculate further... given the success of the first movie, we are likely getting a trilogy, I mean, the main actors are 99% signed up for a trilogy, not less, not more, including Carrey, so... third movie is happening IMO, unless the second one is a big big flop which I assume it won't be.

Then, it needs to come out when the world is ready, with no pandemic, wars, etc. at the right moment, so Paramount better be careful. And obviously they should take their sweet time working on it. I don't care when it releases, I want it to be good AGAIN. Please, delay it if you have to, Paramount. That's what made the original good.

I don't mean to say the movie was fantastic, it was simple and great, fun and enjoyable, but most of all surprising... we knew it would suck, so that changed our perspectives, it's not amazing, maybe for us fans? We were just surprised by how good it was though. Sequel needs to be even better.

Last thing: TSSZ please, don't. Don't make us worried again! They are saying Carrey may not take part of the sequel for budget cuts after the pandemic, Paramount is facing money losses. 

I totally get that, but why the hell would they cut budget for their big star? Carrey costs a lot I assume, but he's the one who sold the freaking movie in the first place, it wouldn't make sense at all. Besides the movie was a huge success for Paramount, they should not cut money for the sequel. It  is in their best interest.

Ben Schwartz, James Marsden and Jim Carrey IMO are all returning. That's my prediction, the big 3 made the movie, so yeah, I want them to return, and I am confident they will.

Tika Sumpter too, I didn't count her because she's minor in the first movie, but she will surely return.

Now what I think they may cut in budget terms... Tails, no, not the character, but I speculated in the past they would replace Colleen with a big star, IF they really are in loss of money, maaaybe they are gonna keep Colleen Villard as Tails. To reduce costs where they can, and to make fans happy, after all she is a great voice for the foxy boy.

So yeah, then I want that Knuckles cameo by the Rock, highly rumored... only cameo though, like Tails in Sonic Movie 1.

I really believe the sequel focus should be on full-on Eggman, a more personality grown Sonic, and obviously Tails, the bond between Sonic & Tails, and Sonic VS Robotnik, which the first movie lacked a bit...

That's it. Keep it simple! That's what made Sonic 1 enjoyable. If they want to add 1 Chaos Emerald and more fantasy worlds, I'd be okay with that. Metal Sonic... I don't know. Amy... probably it's best to keep her and the others away for now. Don't add too much.

The emeralds and Super Sonic should be used only at the end of the trilogy, IMO, as climax moment, the final battle.

LongClaw should be back too, I'm interested in knowing what happened to her with the tribe.

But most of all, I'm surprised by how things have changed, for the fans, when Sonic 1 was announced... lol, everyone hated that, nobody believed in the movie, literally just the people who worked on it, it must not have been easy to work with a cold online community, and now... everyone is fucking excited. They really earned the fans trust.

• Thumbs Up 2

Budget will definitely be the big thing that decides a lot of how this movie will go. Considering how much Paramount is bleeding, they still may not be fully ready to commit to huge locales for Sonic's world outside of reusing assests from the first movie and some other quick teasers. It will definitely limit what characters will be on screen for long.

Like, they'll definitely reuse South Island from the first movie, but if they do move into Sonic's world for the plot, where will things go? Emerald Hill? Metropolis? Angel Island?

There's a bit that they can do, but what, (considering the current financial crisis we're in), can they do?

3 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If we get a third, I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to go all in and make a Sonic Cinematic Universe.

Or possibly, a SEGA Cinematic Universe!

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course there's a sequel! With the massive success of the first movie (compared to most Video Game Movies at the very least), was there ever any doubt? It is kind of odd to just announce it out of the blue (no pun intended) in the middle of the pandemic though. I personally think it would have been better to save it up as a surprise and announce it later on after things cleared up.

It's practically a given that Ben Schwartz and Jim Carrey are gonna reprise their roles, given the things they've said before and how much they enjoyed working on the first movie. Jim Carrey even said something about a fatsuit if I recall, so it would be AWESOME to see a full on Eggman Jim Carrey, complete with a classic outfit and the Mike Pollock-esque voice he had in the post credits scene!

About new content though, instead of bringing in too many new characters and things straight away, I think they should focus on forging the Unbreakable Bond of Sonic and Tails first. Maybe even creating some conflict with Tails and Sonic's new family on Earth. I would like if this movie focused a lot more on Mobius than Earth, possibly giving us some iconic Sonic 2 setpieces like Emerald Hill Zone, Chemical Plant Zone, or perhaps Hill Top Zone considering we got a Hill Top Road easter egg earlier. Giving us something like the Death Egg or the Wing Fortress along with potentially Super Sonic and the Chaos Emeralds would be more than enough to satisfy people clamoring for exciting Sonic content.

Whatever we're getting though, with Mr. Fowler at the helm ready to please the fans, I'm sure we'll get another great movie featuring our beloved Blue Blur, this time joined by his two tailed sidekick.

• Thumbs Up 3

Having still not seen the first movie and with no intentions to do so anytime soon, I'm not really excited about this. But I am pleased. The movie was a bigger success than anyone could have reasonably expected, and most people seem to enjoy it. Movies just don't really interest me very much and the Sonic one in particular looks like something that I wouldn't enjoy. 

I wonder if lightning could really strike twice though? Could the sequel actually be both good and profitable like the original? Not looking forward to the inevitable recast for Tails though, and if any other characters are introduced I'll be very concerned and whatever random celebrities they get to voice them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, here my though, worries and hopes

1) Earth Vs Mobius
It's ironic that we all really want to leave Earth and Tom for Mobius and Tails. Did we liked first movie or not? I'm mentally preparing that most of the movie will still be on Earth. Still I hope for at least one new zone (other that Mushrooms and Green Hill Island), otherwise it will feel like DLC, not a sequel.

2) Tails Vs Tom
Speaking of "transition", this will be movie's biggest challenge. Can they really just ditch Tom for Tails? Won't that be extremely jarring? Not the mention that Tails was always Sonic's sidekick who slowly grows to be his equal-ish, but Movie Sonic isn't "superhero cool dude, hero of all", so this dynamic will be hard to maintain or down right changed. I'm genuinely concerned about that.

My little idea is that Baby Sonic saved Tails long time ago, maybe don't even remembers that day anymore. But for Tails it was live-changing experience which allowed him to grow. Maybe movie will start with him worshiping Sonic  only to learn his not perfect and just accept him as friend, something that Sonic will be much more comfortable with.

3) Eggman
I'm confident Carrey will still be great Eggman, but if there was 1 thing that last movie failed at it's establishing him and Sonic as arch-enemies and I hope this movie will fix that.

4) New characters
On one hand I'm fully aware cast must remain small for right focus, but at the same time I don't think Tails can handle movie by himself (nor I want him to). Ideally I would add some small cameos/supportive roles (Big, Mighty & Ray, maybe even Cream or Chaotix), but at very least movie has to add 1 new villain. Either
-  Metal Sonic. It's not like introducing him would be too hard.
- Echidnas. I'm almost echidnas will be back. I mean, why else Tails would be looking for Sonic? Clearly something is bad happening on Mobius and it's not Eggman. Echidnas are #1 suspect. So maybe Knuckles would be introduced as villain in this movie, but gets reformed in sequel? It would be a little bizzare if  Pachacamat or some new OC will be our first proper exposure to echidna kind.
And of course Chaos Emerald might show up. So yeah, Amy Rose ? She's definitely 3rd or even 4th movie material. And Shadow must be really patient till we get comfortable.

5) Longclaw
This might be controversial but I DON'T want her back. Look at everything above, it's a lot of work. We don't have time. Keep her for later. or forever as as a mystery. Or just accept she's dead.
OOOOOOOOR, here's a crazy idea: adapt her into games. Adapting things from movies is what franchises usually do (All-Spark, Colson and Nick-fury-now-as-black-as-Ultimate-Comics, Lola Bunny).
Longclaw's backstory is something only hardcore fans will care about, so let's explore it next main Sonic game. (and if casual fans will care, all they better for us, they'll just buy the game).

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be funny if the first thing anyone hears of Tails in Green Hills comes from the ramblings of Carl. 

"It's the two-tailed devil!"

I hope they really lean in on Robotnik's motivation to build a giant theme park. Jim Carrey will just eat up that level of ridiculousness, and it would probably fit in with his idea that Eggman wants for a childhood he never got.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

5) Longclaw

This might be controversial but I DON'T want her back. Look at everything above, it's a lot of work. We don't have time. Keep her for later. or forever as as a mystery. Or just accept she's dead.
OOOOOOOOR, here's a crazy idea: adapt her into games. Adapting things from movies is what franchises usually do (All-Spark, Colson and Nick-fury-now-as-black-as-Ultimate-Comics, Lola Bunny).
Longclaw's backstory is something only hardcore fans will care about, so let's explore it next main Sonic game. (and if casual fans will care, all they better for us, they'll just buy the game).

She's a big part of Sonic's life. They can't just not elaborate on her fate for any potential series. But I imagine if they want to keep her current status ambiguous just to keep the plot simple. But I feel like that would also involve not elaborating much on the role of the Echidnas, because she's very tied to whatever they are after.

Sequel wishlist: 

- Sonic & Tails development 

- Metal Sonic as the physical antagonist 

- Amy Rose introduction 

- Death Egg

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Having still not seen the first movie and with no intentions to do so anytime soon, I'm not really excited about this. But I am pleased. The movie was a bigger success than anyone could have reasonably expected, and most people seem to enjoy it. Movies just don't really interest me very much and the Sonic one in particular looks like something that I wouldn't enjoy. 

I wonder if lightning could really strike twice though? Could the sequel actually be both good and profitable like the original? Not looking forward to the inevitable recast for Tails though, and if any other characters are introduced I'll be very concerned and whatever random celebrities they get to voice them.

The miracle is less about the possible quality of the movie, more about the success IMO. Given the recent times, mostly. 

Sonic becoming the movie success it was definitely helped increase the chances of a trilogy, the actors signed up those contracts so... and IMO even if Sonic 2 flops it won't hurt too much, they may still do Sonic 3 and complete the arc.

But even then, I don't think it's too much to assume it will be successful, considering 1 already proved in people's eyes the series is good, they will want to watch more.

As for the actual quality of the movie... I admit I was worried, "how are they gonna repeat this?" but the first thing I see announced are: the return of the crew, and especially the director, those guys put love and effort into the movie, it was truly an heartwarming movie, so with the same team of actors and crew, I'm confident they can pull off something good at least, with a bigger budget, something even better.

Tails getting recast is possible obviously, if they want to cut the budget for weird reasons, they will have to keep Colleen.

Right now I'm just happy people share my excitement.

Also I repeat: less is better, focusing on Sonic & Tails, Sonic vs Robotnik makes more sense than introducing everything immediately.

I realy don't get the point of a potential Tails recast though, since we already had Colleen for his cameo in the first movie. Having her for the subsequent movie(s) would not only be consistent, but also more affordable than having some random expensive big-time star voice him. Plus since it's the same voice from the games, it will be pleasing to the fans as well. Colleen is also quite experienced with her role, so her delivery will most likely be top-notch and won't carry the risk of having a newbie try their hand at voicing Tails.

3 minutes ago, Sonario said:

I realy don't get the point of a potential Tails recast though, since we already had Colleen for his cameo in the first movie. Having her for the subsequent movie(s) would not only be consistent, but also more affordable than having some random expensive big-time star voice him. Plus since it's the same voice from the games, it will be pleasing to the fans as well. Colleen is also quite experienced with her role, so her delivery will most likely be top-notch and won't carry the risk of having a newbie try their hand at voicing Tails.

Usually it's because Hollywood execs believe you can't put butts in seats without relevant A-listers and want their twitter followers to come see the movie. Though I do hope this isn't one of those cases. If they do have another character like Knuckles in the movie, maybe Paramount will choose to give his voice the higher bill.

It does help that Paramount are kinda bleeding money at the moment, so they will be selective with certain things like actors, and since this is a sequel, they may feel a recast is unnecessary, because people are already looking forward to the Tails they saw at the end of the previous movie.

All I want for the sequel is another epic Robotnik dance 😂

..and some rock-connaissance!!!

Seriously though I'm happy they're making a sequel. No need to rush it out. I get the feeling we'll end up with a trilogy of movies.

Tails is obviously a shoe-in for the sequel. If Knuckles does appear (which I think is very likely) then I hope he's more like he was when he first appeared in Sonic 3. I.e. gullible (perhaps tricked by Eggman into thinking Sonic is the bad guy) but very determined and making life hell for Sonic & Tails.

Oh and Dwayne Johnson needs to be in the movie, as president or to voice Knuckles. Or PRESIDENT KNUCKLES!

The first movie was good in parts. There's plenty they can do to make a better story, make it more exciting.

I think DONUT LORD will also return 😂

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't believe I'm actually happy and excited about this after all that happened during production. I really did bit my tongue.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Jim Carrey bringing his full Eggman to the sequel. He nailed in that post credits scene.

4 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

Also I repeat: less is better, focusing on Sonic & Tails, Sonic vs Robotnik makes more sense than introducing everything immediately.

You will get Knuckles I think. Tails is simple as hell and doesn't really require focus. Knuckles and his shit was set up film one, sonic 2 doesn't have enough story in it to dedicate an entire film to the premise. Knuckles is showing up,

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome, best news I’ve had all lockdown. This was otherwise almost certainly going to be a sxsw or E3 timed announcement. 

I think Knuckles will show up but not in a major role. They should focus on Sonic and Tails in this movie. We’re always told what an unbreakable bond they have but were never properly shown it. This is a great time to do it. Heck even the first Sonic movie I got warm fuzzy feelings from
Sonic finally gaining his human family, I’m looking forward to getting more warm fuzzies (along with plenty more laughs, action and adventure) in the sequel. People seem worried about Tails replacing Tom, but I think this film will focus on how family love can only be multiplied, not divided, when numbers grow. They might even tie it in with Tom and Maddie starting their own family.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

You will get Knuckles I think. Tails is simple as hell and doesn't really require focus. Knuckles and his shit was set up film one, sonic 2 doesn't have enough story in it to dedicate an entire film to the premise. Knuckles is showing up,

Some would say the first sonic game wouldn’t have enough story for a movie and yet it did well, woudl prefer they give focus to sonic and tails developing their friendship 

YAYY! We're getting a sequel!

I figured that the Sonic movie was going to get a sequel anyway because of the huge success of the movie.  What I do wonder though is when the movie will be in production?

There's still the matter of the virus pandemic going on and who knows how affected the movie companies will be after the virus pandemic passes.  But I hope that they take their time with the sequel and not rush it out to make a quick buck because that could prove to be a huge disaster for the film if they rushed it without spending time on developing a good story for the sequel.

Also, there are some things I'm a bit concerned about regarding how the sequel will go.

1) Earth vs. Sonic's World:  So, would the sequel spend more time on Sonic's World or on Earth?  And if it spent more time in Sonic's world, what will become of Tom and Maddie?  I mean, they could have a storyline set up where Tom and Maddie ended up in Sonic's world by accident.  But, they can't stay there and I'm pretty sure most fans wouldn't want to see Sonic split up with Tom and Maddie and yet, they still want to see more of Sonic's world.  Also, it wouldn't make any sense to just drop Tom out of the franchise when he was just introduced in the first movie.  So, how would the writers solve this plotline?

2) New characters: Now it's a fact that Tails is going to  be in the sequel since he showed up in the stinger.  But what other characters should they add to the sequel?  Or should they add any other characters at all?  I've seen around the boards that some people wanted so many characters to show up such as Shadow, Rogue and Silver to name a few.  But the thing is, you don't want to have too many characters in a film because that would run the risk of causing some of the characters to not get developed properly because they are too busy trying to juggle so many characters at once.  So, what Sonic characters would make the most sense in showing up in the sequel?  For me, I would have to say either Metal Sonic or Knuckles would be the most appropriate additions to the sequel if they are added.  You don't have to do much with Metal Sonic since he was created by Dr. Robotnik and since Dr. Robotnik still has one of the Sonic's quills in the stinger, he could use that to create a robotic clone of Sonic.  As for Knuckles, he would be tied to the Echidna clan that tried to kidnap Sonic in the first film, so introducing Knuckles would at least wrap up the Echidna clan plot.  However, Knuckles is a much more complex character, so even if he doesn't show up in the sequel, he would be great in the third movie.

3) The story: Now, the story could go several different ways, but what story would fit well for the sequel?  We do want to see Sonic and Tails' developing friendship in the sequel and we want to see Dr. Robotnik finally become Dr. Eggman.  But what would be a good story for the sequel?  For me, I definitely would love to see most of the film spend its time on Sonic and Tails' friendship, as well as how Tails' appearance will affect Tom and Maddie's lives.  Also, it would be interesting if they introduced the Death Egg in the sequel, but that depends on if they want to spend more time on Dr. Robotnik trying to find his way back home or just stay on Sonic's planet and build his empire.

Overall, I'm so happy that the Sonic movie is getting a sequel and I just hope that the crew take their time with the sequel to find out what characters should be in the film and what kind of story they can tell in the sequel that will make fans and movie goers happy.

6 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Usually it's because Hollywood execs believe you can't put butts in seats without relevant A-listers and want their twitter followers to come see the movie. Though I do hope this isn't one of those cases. If they do have another character like Knuckles in the movie, maybe Paramount will choose to give his voice the higher bill.

It does help that Paramount are kinda bleeding money at the moment, so they will be selective with certain things like actors, and since this is a sequel, they may feel a recast is unnecessary, because people are already looking forward to the Tails they saw at the end of the previous movie.

Paramount bleeding money is precisely why Sonic 2 will have a bigger budget. They will want to let Fowler and the writers go all-in on a PROVEN money maker for them. They are desperate for a franchise. 

I could see Sonic 1 looking like child's play in comparison