Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

8 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I couldn't be happier to hear this.

I'm not going to try and guess what's in it but as long as they put the same effort as before It'll be just as magic.

I agree! As long as they focus on telling a good story and developing the characters in a good way, then I'm happy with whatever the sequel brings.

• Thumbs Up 2

It wouldn't surprise if they don't use GUN, purely because it is called "GUN". Yes, it is an acronym, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone in development thought it would be inappropriate for a PG film series.

59 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

It wouldn't surprise if they don't use GUN, purely because it is called "GUN". Yes, it is an acronym, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone in development thought it would be inappropriate for a PG film series.

I mean, Sonic X was rated Y7 and they still just called it, G.U.N.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't be surprised that if they did adapt Sonic Adventure 2 to the movies, they might censor a few things to make it more kid friendly like they might tone down Maria's death from Sonic Adventure 2 in order to not make it too traumatizing for the younger viewers.

Theory time. I’ve thought about this possibility before but the blu-ray of the first movie came out here today and watching it has reminded me:

It looks like Sonic has jumped worlds a few times already based on his hand-drawn map. I wonder if Tails was on one of those worlds and saw him speeding through it and eventually into another warp ring so while they’ve never met it may explain a version of the traditional Tails seeing Sonic’s speed in awe and thinking Sonic is super cool trying to get just as fast to catch up to him. Also Tails has reprogrammed a super-computer with a toothpick and dish soap or whatever so he may have eventually replicated the warp ring technology. His “I just hope I’m not too late” could simply be that he found Sonic before he jumps to the next world.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, caitash said:

Theory time. I’ve thought about this possibility before but the blu-ray of the first movie came out here today and watching it has reminded me:

Hide contents

It looks like Sonic has jumped worlds a few times already based on his hand-drawn map. I wonder if Tails was on one of those worlds and saw him speeding through it and eventually into another warp ring so while they’ve never met it may explain a version of the traditional Tails seeing Sonic’s speed in awe and thinking Sonic is super cool trying to get just as fast to catch up to him. Also Tails has reprogrammed a super-computer with a toothpick and dish soap or whatever so he may have eventually replicated the warp ring technology. His “I just hope I’m not too late” could simply be that he found Sonic before he jumps to the next world.

Spoiler

That might explain about how Tails was able to track Sonic down to Earth. I also think that Tails might have seen Sonic transport on his planet or his hometown and he got so interested in Sonic that he probably copied down Sonic's map without him noticing and started following Sonic's tracks in the process.  I wonder how he will reveal this information to Sonic if it comes to that?

So, do you guys expecting any other characters like Amy besides Tails and Knuckles?

Also, I think the closest year that we will probably see the sequel is 2022. Right now, they are probably writing the script  and making the storyboards for the sequel and will most likely start filming and casting next year.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:25 AM, CaptainRobo said:

So, do you guys expecting any other characters like Amy besides Tails and Knuckles?

Also, I think the closest year that we will probably see the sequel is 2022. Right now, they are probably writing the script  and making the storyboards for the sequel and will most likely start filming and casting next year.

I can definitely see this happening.  If they released the movie in 2021, then that proves that they rushed through the movie and didn't take the time to flesh out the story and the characters first.  Also, I have a feeling that the sequel might have more to the story than the first movie, so they might take their time in trying to find a good enough story for the sequel enough to satisfy the fans, but not over bloat the story.  As for what other characters might show up in the sequel?  I'm thinking that if they don't use Knuckles in the sequel, they might use Metal Sonic since Robotnik still has one of Sonic's quills and he might use that to build a robot copy of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I imagine they'll still be decently conservative with the named characters. Amy could get a cameo definitely, or be a side character, but I definitely don't expect any major focus on her until a third movie.

One thing I noticed is that they mentioned the same Producer, writer team would return for this sequel, but they never mentioned if Junkie XL will come back, so is it possible they'll get someone new to do the music for this sequel?

Something else to think of is will there be Crush 40 songs in this movie, and if so who would be covering them? I really doubt they'd pass up any big name singers for the relative nobodies of Crush 40, but will probably still feature a song just to please fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

re: Adventure 2. I'll doubt they're do more with Sonic Adventure 2 than the broad idea of Sonic having a doppelganger who frames him and works with Eggman.

The first movie was careful to not vilify the US government/military since they had legit grounds not to trust Sonic, Eggman was abusing his power, lastly the general made it clear that they were both glad to see Eggman gone and that they suspected Sonic was being hidden in Green Hills by one of the locals (hence him poking around Tom and Maddy's house) but were leaving him be for now. Compare with G.U.N. who are much nastier in their intro game.

The first movie also established that it happens on the Current Year Earth with the tech the same as here outside of Eggman's inventions. Meaning no space colonies since we certainly never achieved such today, let alone 50 years ago.

No no, if we do get a Movie Adventure 2 I'm sure it'd just be Eggman or Stone or the US government cloning Sonic using one of his quills.

49 minutes ago, Almar said:

The first movie also established that it happens on the Current Year Earth with the tech the same as here outside of Eggman's inventions. Meaning no space colonies since we certainly never achieved such today, let alone 50 years ago.

Is that really a hindrance? I mean, the space colony ARC is a secret instillation. The whole point of that is that its been up there all along, and almost nobody knew it was there let alone the kind of super science that went on up onboard it. 

The movie could easily show us "today's Earth" with "today's technology"  and immediately transition to the ARC without skipping a beat. Thats the whole point of the secret part. It'd be no different than Independence Day blowing the doors open on Area 51. 

I'm also sure Sonic Team/Sega doesn't really want to acknowledge the lore in Adventure 2 (as in more than just throwing in Team Dark) since it doesn't really fit the direction of the franchise from Colors at the latest.

46 minutes ago, Almar said:

I'm also sure Sonic Team/Sega doesn't really want to acknowledge the lore in Adventure 2 (as in more than just throwing in Team Dark) since it doesn't really fit the direction of the franchise from Colors at the latest.

Team Sonic Racing had a small reference in "Maria's Boon". But I agree they seem to ignore most S3K-06 lore in favor of Unleashed-onward and putting 1-CD in a disparate vacuum. If only they would do the same for the Adventure games...

1 hour ago, Almar said:

I thought that Sega was planning on rebooting the Adventure series, starting with Sonic Adventure?

2 hours ago, Almar said:

That isn't exactly true. Not only have they referenced it themselves, they have allowed others to, to varying degrees. Along with they just made forces which very much puts them back into that direction.

That said

19 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I thought that Sega was planning on rebooting the Adventure series, starting with Sonic Adventure?

I don't think that's confirmed, but I kinda think they want to do this. It has kinda felt like for a while they wanted to do adventure era stuff without all the other things that do not fit where they want to go in terms of what is , and what isn't included. I think they have been wanting that since sonic boom was a thing and then suddenly not a thing.

All that said, if they get to shadow in the movie. I don't think GUN or any government entity is really gonna be involved at all. Shadow's story really needs one thing, a tragedy , a lock down period and for those things to spur him into action. Yes, ok he had his memory manipulated in sa2, but even still those are the two key things. As long as you have that , you don't need gun. He could just be some crazy alien hedgehog. You can easily do the same kind of narrative with the films set up.

Maybe like a decade before sonic the echidna are going around and finding any hedgehog that fits the bill of whatever their prophecy they got going, they find shadow and maybe some mother figure who gets killed. The lock him up , eggman finds him he gets out and wants to wreck everything. Or if you want to keep it closer to home. You do a parallel of the first film, shadow has a mother figure though instead of her just kind of dying off screen due to old age , she gets killed in front of him he is forced to leave world instead of eventually being met with a loving family he's met by the military that tries to conduct experiments on him. They don't really go anywhere and they feel he is too dangerous so they lock him in some government basement until  eggman finds him. Shadow gets out wants to wreck everything not just in this world but in sonic's world too . Now you got a parallel. 

You don't need the government really or at least a modern military one, and if you want em, you don't need the arc either.

The big thing about keeping the Ark is that I don't think you can remove Professor Gerald's place in the story. Especially since he's such an important figure to Eggman, and whose tragedy heavily affected him.

Especially for movie Eggman who is wearing tragedy on his sleeve, it's just begging for a bit to be fleshed out.

11 hours ago, Almar said:

Well it’s more up to what paramount wants to do, Sega was ready to almost completely disown the first after the first design trailer and though they are collaborating this time I think the actual studio making the film will have mroe say in the direction they want to give, especially with the restrictions Sega gave Idw I doubt they would be too pleased about sonic in the first movie being mostly a sad secret loner

15 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Well it’s more up to what paramount wants to do, Sega was ready to almost completely disown the first after the first design trailer and though they are collaborating this time I think the actual studio making the film will have mroe say in the direction they want to give, especially with the restrictions Sega gave Idw I doubt they would be too pleased about sonic in the first movie being mostly a sad secret loner

It kind of makes me wonder just how much say Sega will have in the future Sonic movies?  Will Paramount have more power over Sega regarding where they want to take Sonic or will Sega have more to say for the movies?

First choice is definitely the special zone for me. Seeing any of them turned live action would pretty amazing. I was thinking it could be a mix of the 3 classic ones with an original one made for the movie.

I thought it could go something like this.

At least one of the emeralds is hidden here but everyone who’s entered has failed to get it because the whole place is like an obstacle course. Also access needs to be unlocked before a ring can take you there (Tails and/or Longclaw would explain how). Maybe it’s only accessible during a certain period of time. Similar to a solar eclipse.

Sonic is the only one fast and agile enough to get though it and return before it closes.

Spoiler

I just saw this video recently, and I think this gives us a good idea of how production on the sequel could go depending on the state Paramount is in and if they are as immersed in this tech as Disney and the like are. In the case of Sonic, this would be largely beneficial with the more isolated scenes of just one or two humans involved with the animal characters.

For all intents and purposes, they could drive the film largely digitally to make up for the fact that they don't have access to all the resources of bonkers huge teams working side by side because of COVID fears.

Perhaps this would be a chance for SEGA to be involved in this production as well, by offering inhouse backgrounds and providing extra resources to the crew, like how they had access to the Generations and Lost World geometry models for South Island in the first movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, VisionaryofSUPER said:
  Hide contents

I just saw this video recently, and I think this gives us a good idea of how production on the sequel could go depending on the state Paramount is in and if they are as immersed in this tech as Disney and the like are. In the case of Sonic, this would be largely beneficial with the more isolated scenes of just one or two humans involved with the animal characters.

For all intents and purposes, they could drive the film largely digitally to make up for the fact that they don't have access to all the resources of bonkers huge teams working side by side because of COVID fears.

Perhaps this would be a chance for SEGA to be involved in this production as well, by offering inhouse backgrounds and providing extra resources to the crew, like how they had access to the Generations and Lost World geometry models for South Island in the first movie.

This sounds interesting.  It's possible that Hollywood would have to go digital if the COVID doesn't go down any time soon. Does this mean that the film would come out faster if it was being done digitally?  Also, I'm a bit concerned about SEGA being too involved with the sequel.  What happens if they start telling the filmmakers what plot lines to put in the film?  That could affect the outcome of the film as a whole.

10 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Also, I'm a bit concerned about SEGA being too involved with the sequel. 

I'm not too worried about that. Looking back at Sonic's original design for the movie, SEGA was noted about being against that entire mock-up. On the movie side of things they moved away from source on the main character, and had enough clout to get that design all the way to the initial trailer. Had there not been a universal uprising, Sega likely would not have been able to do anything about the original design, and would be left to twiddle their thumbs in the corner. Their idea's were "noted", but ultimately no match for the vision/clout of the peeps in charge of the movie. 

Sega can suggest changes and storylines all they want, but if their concerns of the design of their flagship character can be so easily pushed to the side, I doubt they are suddenly going to have the authority to start commandeering plot lines or the like. Particularly so considering the people in charge of the movie will likely have even more leash to play with this time considering the popularity of the first film. 

For better or worse, they put their IP in someone else's hands. 

I don't think SEGA will have huge control on this film. Judging by how the first movie turned out, SEGA didn't have a lot of control of the production in general, and were just willing to let it slide when things were going downhill. It would seem so far as things go on a contractual level, Paramount has huge freedom.

However, I imagine SEGA and Paramount will work together much more outside of just advice. While I highly doubt there will be any tie in games, I think there will be big releases during the sequel year that focuses on elements explored in the film. Like, I think whatever game they release during the film year will heavily focus on Tails or anything else the film explores.

And then there's asset sharing. SEGA could easily give Paramount a lot of their models for pre-production if they try to use this new tech, setting up complex scenes using actual game characters and sega environments to help give the pre-production a stronger visual identity and help drive direction. And I imagine Paramount would be decently interested in collaborating more with SEGA to use whatever game release they could have as a sort of extra marketing push.

By the way, I wonder if having Tom and Maddie in the story line is going to complicate how much of the source material they can get into the movies.  They not only have to balance the video game aspects of the series, but they will have to figure out how to have Tom and Maddie get involved in the adventures without taking the spotlight from Sonic and the other characters.