Awoo.

The Game Awards 2021 Thread

Shiny Gems

As you all know, tomorrow is The Game Awards. Even thought it is not time yet, obviously, I thought I'd make a thread about it.

As this is a Sonic site we are on, and though it is obvious right now, I should mention, nonetheless, that an announcement or maybe two Sonic related is said to happen at The Game Awards this year.

Here is the yet to debut stream of The Game Awards itself.

The Game Awards itself starts around 5 PM Pacific time on December 9th. I believe the pre-show starts at 4:30 PM Pacific Time on the same day.

So, what are your expectations, and what do you want to see at The Game Awards this year? Anything else you want to talk about in regards to this event? Feel free to talk about it all here.

I'll be following the Game Awards in my customary way: Getting up the morning after and looking at news sites to learn if anything interesting happened.

I don't care which studio wins the award for most exploited staff or which game wins most overhyped pile of whatever. I really, really don't. I don't play enough games these days, and even fewer of the sort that get recognition at events like this. I'm just going to be watching for the announcements. And even then, only like 25% of them at best will interest me. If not for the fact that Sonic is going to be there, I'd probably not bother staying up to watch. Lol. 

If you have roughly an hour to spare, here are my votes and predictions along the ones of @Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon and @Dejimon11.

Mind you, we had recorded the audio of this a bit ago, so before knowing officlally stuff like the Sonic 2 movie confirmation.

tl;dr version: i'm confident we'll get interesting surprises, but i'm keeping my expectations in checks for the most part

• Thumbs Up 2

As usual, Motobug will be streaming the event at 5pm PST/8pm EST/1am GMT for SSMB members who wanna watch the announcements live together: https://cytu.be/r/Motobug

As for general announcements, I can't wait to see the Sonic stuff, but I'm not really keeping my hopes high for much else. Seeing a Kingdom Hearts announcement just ahead of the 20th anniversary would be nice, if nothing else.

I’m really only gonna keep light glances on it, on the off chance something Kingdom Hearts related gets announced, or we get a look at Sonic Frontiers. Aside from that? The game adverts lost me years ago, so really don’t give much of a shit. After the shit with TLOU2 last year especially, that left a sour taste in my mouth, despite the hype orchestra and Sephiroth reveal 

edit: also, this is prob just me, but I honestly can’t really pay Geoff on the back on TGA decision regarding Activision, when they’re likely going to prop up Ubisoft, and have world premiere shit from them.

Another confirmation - the first gameplay reveal of Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League will be shown tomorrow.

Here's my bingo card when it comes to trailers' predictions/hopes:

the-game-awards-2021-bingo.png

Wait, people are hyping this up? 

Didn’t really think much of it when they showed it off at the game awards. Like, as a tech demo, sure it’s very impressive, but it just feels like another unnecessary badly timed push by the industry that’ll just likely result in more crunch shit. (Especially early on as developers try to get used to it) the whole photorealistic angle has just never jived with me personally, (and hell, every time the game industry tries to push this angle, it typically blows up in their face, hello PS3, hello minecraft, hello fortnite, hello Wii, etc) but if they can use this engine more for stylistic/vibrant games, like a Ratchet and Clank or Kingdom Hearts, THAT’S what’s gonna catch my attention. But idk, this certainly didn’t feel Ike something to end off the game awards on. But I guess it’s better than fucking Fast and Furious