Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie Trailer is released!

Shiny Gems

I'm surprised at some of the confusion from people about Tails introducing himself during the Tornado scene. That line was so clearly spliced together just for the trailer. You can hear it in the way Colleen is inflecting between the words. "My.namesTAILs." And with some editting to get it to match the lip syncing.

The introduction to Tails is definitely not happening during the Tornado scene. That's probably the final battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I'm surprised at some of the confusion from people about Tails introducing himself during the Tornado scene. That line was so clearly spliced together just for the trailer. You can hear it in the way Colleen is inflecting between the words. "My.namesTAILs." And with some editting to get it to match the lip syncing.

The introduction to Tails is definitely not happening during the Tornado scene. That's probably the final battle.

The more obvious example of splicing is when Sonic & Tails have the conversation, they're chasing after what seems to be the master emerald empowered tornado in the distance, while when they get closer, they're instead fighting that's seemingly more akin to the Death Egg with how it launches missiles out at Sonic.

Granted, it could be a case where the Death Egg itself is generating the tornado, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Regarding that. There seems to be a tornado made of chaos energy they are flying towards. And then there is another shot in the trailer back in Green Hills with that same tornado that looks to be more towards the end of the movie. Usually a huge force of nature like that isn't going to appear until the end plus 

Spoiler

Set photos showing Greens Hills as the likely final battle.

Plus it would be weird for Tails to teleport to Earth via portal, quickly procure a biplane on Earth, track Sonic down and happen to pick up Sonic when he is falling to his doom where he makes an introduction to him on top of plane. That would be the only way Sonic is riding the Tornado without knowing Tails's name. You usually don't takeoff flying with strangers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had him call himself "Tails" in the trailer because that is more iconic name. Sort of like how Sonic was given his shoes in one trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just watched the trailer. Looks a lot more exciting than the original. Colleen's Tails voice sounds good as always. So cool the way Knuckles stops Sonic using only one hand, pushes him back and then delivers a beat-down...and he ain't chucklin' 😅 Not 100% sold on Idris' voice but we'll see.

Have a gif:

Animated GIF

Hope Carrie gets the proper Eggman fat-suit by the end of the sequel or at least in the third film (which I'm confident will happen).

Looking forward to watching it.

Great to hear of Tyson's involvement again:

Love this. Knuckles looks badass!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

See, this is how you do a trailer. No rat face and Gangsters Paradise, just good action, actually getting into the plot & Knuckles. And that poster by Tyson... definitely gonna be my wallpaper for a good while.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is probably the best trailer I've seen all year and it definitely made my day!  I just loved Tails and Knuckles in this trailer and it seems like the sequel will be more action packed than the first movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Easter eggs and references!

The opening with the cop cars, and the water coming up from the sewer. Practically screams Chaos 0 and Perfect Chaos' introductions. 

Icecap from Sonic Adventure (and Sonic 3, but it looks more like SA's one to me).

Hidden Palace looks a lot more like Lost World from SA, especially the cylinder tunnel.

Feel free to add!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

If nothing else, it's aweseom to see what appears to be a genuinly badass version of Knuckles again after the character having so often been used as either a joke or as inconsequential for so many years.

Other than that, I don't know what to think. It's a good trailer, but I'm weary of the actual movie being more similar to the first movie than the trailer gives the impresion of. Sonic shoud first and foremost be an adventure/action franchise, and the first movie was an incredibly dumb kiddie comedy on the level of those live action Alvin and the Chipmunks movies with barely any more action than those. I'm not saying that a live action Sonic movie should be serious or mature but I also think there should be a limit to just how juvinile, dumb and pedestrian it should allow itself to be. There are tons of great childrens movies out there, such as those from Disney Feature Animation and Pixar, so the "it's for kids" excuse is not a good one to explain why the first Sonic movies screenplay displayed an absolute minimum amount of thought and effort.

I dunno, it's like there is some kind of curse over the very practice placing cartoon characters in live action. It nearly always lead to garbage. The Chipmunks, the Smurfs, Yogi Bear, Woody Woodpecker, Scooby-Doo, both Space Jam movies, ect. The only good movies of this genre I can think of are Roger Rabbit, Casper (the 1995 movie) and the recent Pooh movie (Christopher Robin). The Sonic movie however is one of the worst offenders because at least with all of those other cartoon-character-in-the-real-world films you understand why the makers chose the genre of family comedy, as it is the obvious genre to choose when adapting these characters into the feature film medium. The Sonic movie however isn't just a bad movie, but it's also a movie where even the main genre chosen for the movie doesn't correspond with the genre of the franchise that the movie is based on. It's like either the studio producers of the scriptwriter (or both) took a look at the Sonic series and were like "Nah, let's just make a fifth Chipmunks movie instead and slap Sonic's name on it".

So in short, good trailer, but I hope the final films stays as far away from the first film as the trailer leads us to believe.

• Chuckle 1

Watched the trailer again after getting some sleep and still buzzing from it. Noticed the few references like the rooftop SA1 scene, the Perfect Chaos sewer explosion, and then went back to look at what I expected to be the Death Egg. Agent Stone at one point appears to be looking at a screen and says "That sounds big" which of course the Death Egg is. However, with it shooting missiles and Robotnik has yet to be seen in a mech, I see it being the large Death Egg robot powered by the Master Emerald. 

Also wondering why the Echidnas were after Sonic to begin with if Knuckles is already a powerhouse?

Also this

Enterknuckles.jpg.9ff785560dc220733ae6bb836d523cc2.jpg

• Nice Smile 1

I. LOVED. THIS. TRAILER.

There were so many cool references, from the skateboard harking to a piece of official Sonic Adventure 1 art to even a potential Bob Beaky (Sonic the Comic) nod!

This is basically a real-world adaptation of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 mashed together, and I’m 100% here for it. Knuckles’ model looks cool, and I’m liking Idris Elba’s VO there.

I just keep imagining if this movie came out in 1994, in the middle of Sonic mania and S3K’s release on Mega Drive. 9-year-old me would have a joyful heart attack! ❤️

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I got up at 1.45am just to watch this trailer as it landed and was NOT disappointed. So much joy. So much everything. I love it. I keep re-watching it. Only minor nitpicks which are not even worth mentioning, roll on 8 April!

• Thumbs Up 3

I seriously can't get enough of the trailer!  There's just so much fun in this trailer and Knuckles is amazing!  I hope the movie turns out to be really good!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm in this really weird position where I'm actually more excited for the Sonic movie than I am the game. Pretty much any misgivings I had for the original movie look like they're going to be fixed in the sequel just because it's going to have a more clear idea of what wants to be from the get-go.

Plus, it has Tails. And I like Tails.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hey, did anyone noticed that they barely showed Tails' twin tails in the trailer?  Do you think that the trailer is hiding something deeper about Tails' character in the film?

• My Emmerdoods 1

Most likely, yes. Side note: Pixar’s The Red Giant comes out a little close to a month before Sonic 2 does (March 11). How much do you think that and fantastic Beasts could impact Sonic’s box office? 

• My Emmerdoods 1

41 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Hey, did anyone noticed that they barely showed Tails' twin tails in the trailer?  Do you think that the trailer is hiding something deeper about Tails' character in the film?

Any particular theories about that? Even though I loved the trailer and don’t wanna get myself over-hyped thinking about the stuff it keeps tucked up its sleeves, I hope it’s hiding a lot tbh. There are magnitudes more levels of bromance between Eggman and Agent Stone than the impression Sonic and Tails give in the trailer…. not that I dislike the Eggy/Stone bond *at all*, it’s part of the film’s appeal and I’m absolutely here for it, it’s just…. the supposed unbreakable bond has a lot of competition already XD

(ETA:  just to be clear, the above isn’t criticism of the trailer at all, I know they are supposed to leave things out and just dangle the hook in front of you to make you pay to see the film to get the rest of the fix XD)

• My Emmerdoods 1

53 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

Most likely, yes. Side note: Pixar’s The Red Giant comes out a little close to a month before Sonic 2 does (March 11). How much do you think that and fantastic Beasts could impact Sonic’s box office? 

I wouldn't say too much. Usually it is movies the same week or a week before or after that are concerns for competition. But a month will probably be most of its box office because there tends to be a huge drop each week after opening.

The trailer has now had 20 million views across Paramount’s American YT account and IGN’s YT. (Paramount’s has 12 million, IGN’s has 8.6 million)

6 hours ago, Graystripe2000 said:

The trailer has now had 20 million views across Paramount’s American YT account and IGN’s YT. (Paramount’s has 12 million, IGN’s has 8.6 million)

I think 150,000 of those are me lol

Since Thursday I’ve picked up on the owl references in (what I assume is) the master emerald shrine/temple and have been rewatching it trying to figure out the movieverse history between owls and echidnas XD

• Thumbs Up 1

So, whenever trailers get released for movies, do they usually change some designs from the trailer to the final movie or do they usually keep the designs the same?  I asked this because I noticed that some shots of Sonic and Tails look a bit different in some scenes.  Like the shot of Sonic before he attacks Knuckles looks a bit different from the other shots of him and Tails and the scene where Tails jumps out of the ring, he looks very different in that scene compared to the other scenes in the trailer.

Anyone else suspect this trailer plays in front of Spider-man No Way Home? The release timing of the trailer makes it seem like it would.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Graystripe2000 said:

Anyone else suspect this trailer plays in front of Spider-man No Way Home? The release timing of the trailer makes it seem like it would.

This could happen.

16 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, whenever trailers get released for movies, do they usually change some designs from the trailer to the final movie or do they usually keep the designs the same?  I asked this because I noticed that some shots of Sonic and Tails look a bit different in some scenes.  Like the shot of Sonic before he attacks Knuckles looks a bit different from the other shots of him and Tails and the scene where Tails jumps out of the ring, he looks very different in that scene compared to the other scenes in the trailer.

I figure any perceived differences come down to variations in either lighting or expressions and posing.

I thought Sonic's nose had been inexplicably shortened in that close-up shot from before he rushes at Knuckles, but then I compared and realized it's just his brow being furrowed down and upper lip being pushed up toward the base of his nose that gives that illusion.

While I'm sure the CGI and other effects are still being worked on, I doubt they'd make any unnecessary changes to the models, especially since re-rendering this stuff takes so long.