Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Trailer

Wraith

random quote Wednesday

On 12/10/2021 at 11:39 PM, Scar said:

Sonic Team were confident with Unleashed. Sonic Team were confident with Forces. Sonic Team have been confident before, and they've been confidently shit.

They were "confident" in Unleashed in the sense that it was the most ambitious, the huge budget, the entire new custom engine that was called hedgehog engine, etc. , did they actually reveal it in a major event tho? no, the last main Sonic to be revealed in a big event was 2006.

Forces tho? naaaah, it was the least confident i have ever seen them be, ESPECIALLY compared to how Mania was marketed at the same time, while Mania had a lot of showings and gameplays, the marketing for Forces was actually scarce and very shy , like 95% of the marketing cycle consisted of only 2 zones, one of them is freaking Green Hill zone, -and no, the short length of the game isn't the only reason given how they spoiled the entirety of unleashed and generations before- , combine this with how they actually didn't offer review copies, the limited switch demo, and you can see the clear lack of confidence in the product.

With Frontiers so far? not only they confidently showed in the most mainstream gaming event those days, but we actually know that they actually already showed the game behind the scenes to some people in the industry -not the leakers/testers-  and they were actually impressed and thought it looked good, this is a stark difference from the previous game where they didn't even offer the game for reviews in the end

They actually believe in this game, which is super refreshing to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, MH MD said:

Forces tho? naaaah, it was the least confident i have ever seen them be, ESPECIALLY compared to how Mania 

Right from the initial reveal, Mania was slapped with the "Sega proudly presents" tagline. 

I don't believe we ever saw that with Forces. 

So all we gotta do is look for that tagline whenever Frontiers gets a proper reveal and we will know what to expect. Lol 

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, MH MD said:

random quote Wednesday

They were "confident" in Unleashed in the sense that it was the most ambitious, the huge budget, the entire new custom engine that was called hedgehog engine, etc. , did they actually reveal it in a major event tho? no, the last main Sonic to be revealed in a big event was 2006.

Forces tho? naaaah, it was the least confident i have ever seen them be, ESPECIALLY compared to how Mania was marketed at the same time, while Mania had a lot of showings and gameplays, the marketing for Forces was actually scarce and very shy , like 95% of the marketing cycle consisted of only 2 zones, one of them is freaking Green Hill zone, -and no, the short length of the game isn't the only reason given how they spoiled the entirety of unleashed and generations before- , combine this with how they actually didn't offer review copies, the limited switch demo, and you can see the clear lack of confidence in the product.

With Frontiers so far? not only they confidently showed in the most mainstream gaming event those days, but we actually know that they actually already showed the game behind the scenes to some people in the industry -not the leakers/testers-  and they were actually impressed and thought it looked good, this is a stark difference from the previous game where they didn't even offer the game for reviews in the end

They actually believe in this game, which is super refreshing to see.

You can't prove that SEGA either were or were not "confident" in any case. 

Frontiers definitely seems like SEGA are treating it as a bigger deal than, say, Forces. It was teased about 18 months before before release and formally announced a full year before release too at the GAs to a huge, general audience. Forces only got teased and later announced at small events targeted squarely at existing fans. But look at it from another perspective; Sonic's got a big year ahead of him in 2022 with the launch of a new TV show and the second movie. Remember back in 2014 when Boom was the next big thing and SEGA pushed that hard? Or how they were really excitedly touting S4E1 as the next big thing whilst Colours got relatively shafted? Perceived confidence means nothing. 

I would like to think that SEGA announcing Frontiers at the GAs meant that they were  confident about the game and were on to a surefire good thing, but I've really no reason to expect that to be ths case. It's SEGA's job as a business to sell their games in whatever way they think will be the most profitable. We know from experience that SEGA will put out Sonic games regardless of the state that they're in. All that we really have to go on is the fact that Frontiers is very different to every other Sonic game out there. And if SEGA can't even get it when they're doing the same thing that they're supposed to be good at, why should I trust that this will be any different? In fact, even when they've chosen to do things differently, ala Boom and Lost World, we've still had more misses than hits.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 hours ago, MH MD said:

we actually know that they actually already showed the game behind the scenes to some people in the industry -not the leakers/testers-  and they were actually impressed and thought it looked good, this is a stark difference from the previous game where they didn't even offer the game for reviews in the end

oh damn that clip is super interesting, mostly for Jeff's choice of words "it has shown very well behind the scenes". Hopefully this means less just visually impressive and more in terms of how it plays and that it is impressive on a creative and innovative level.

Despite my gripes with the direction, I want this game to be successful. It doesn't look like a typical Sonic game, yes, and I'm not expecting it to play like one for the most part. They can do it in a way that makes the action-adventure genre Sonic's own. We can only hope the game is really ambitious as the scope of the open-zone makes it seem, including the actual gameplay and not just the world being very big and very pretty.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hopeful for this game. There is so little to go off of right now that I'm not going to make a conclusion on whether it'll be good or not. But it sure sounds interesting. I mainly just hope the game is fun to run around in. Dicking around in the hub of Sonic Adventure and doing missions and stuff was one of my favorite parts about that game, so if they can recapture that spark but on a bigger scale, then I'm all in. 

I'm not hard to please (for its numerous faults, I cannot hate Forces) so I'm really looking forward to this one. Hoping Sega puts their best foot forward here.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/11/2021 at 9:22 PM, Kuzu said:

I feel like mainstream opinion and fan opinions of Sonic have been sort of on the same page lately. 

Forces was somehow so thoroughly mediocre, it caused everyone to start agreeing with each other lol. 

The mainstream opinion and fan opinions of Sonic, from what I've seen, have still been rather different. It has basically been this:

Sonic fandom: "Sonic's been up and down over the past 20 years."

Mainstream: "Everything after Sonic Adventure 2 is shit."

Unless you're referring to Frontiers specifically...in which case, discard this. lol

• Thumbs Up 6

Mainstream: Everything after Sonic Adventure 2 is shit!
Sonic Colors releases
Mainstream: Sonic is back!
5 minutes after Sonic Colors released
Mainstream: Everything after Sonic Adventure is shit!
Sonic Generations releases
Mainstream: Sonic is back!
5 minutes after Sonic Generations released
Mainstream: Everything after Sonic 3 and Knuckles is shit!
Sonic Mania releases
Mainstream: Finally, Sonic is back!
5 minutes after Sonic Mania released
Mainstream: Everything after Sonic 2 is shit!

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

While I doubt it has any indication of Frontiers quality, they were for sure not confident with Forces. The marketing was barely there. And I don't remember them being too proud either.

It's obvious that the world in Frontiers looks empty because they hid all assets like rings and enemies, it's just like this.

I wouldn't worry too much about that personally.

• Thumbs Up 2

I get the impression that they are purposefully keeping a lot of secrets with Frontiers. They want to build up a sense of mystery I guess.

that's cool, I want to be pleasantly surprised by this game

Well, honestly, I don't fear that the game will be "empty" in term of not having rings/enemies. It's more how much we'll have other things to do that just run and fight ennemies and go to cyberspace stage. I hope we'll get some fun stuff to do in the overworld, some good puzzle, maybe some NPC...

( About NPC, at least they have the technologies to generate a lot of them without having to design each one. )