Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Trailer

Wraith

29 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Screenshot_20211210-025151_YouTube.thumb.jpg.5f761346f538ae2ce06aea2eb9453cc3.jpg

The graphics don't look amazing here, but I don't want to talk about that right now. Look at the map. It's not ridiculously dense, and it's full of landmarks. From the very brief look we've got at this point, I'm kind of hopeful that the open world (or open zone) isn't going to be one giant mess of non-descript areas and waypoints flashing on your map. That's good! 

From the bits we saw in the trailer that showed the landmarks, it looks like it's potential level design that compliments Sonic's speed overall well. Going off of the curves and terrain, it does seem like exploration could be a good way to get a feel of Sonic's abilities in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like a middle ground can only be achieved WITH refinement.

This is Sonic's first open world game, so it's gonna be pretty vanilla in ways. But god damn, Sonic Team can't just abandon this again. No matter what ANY, and I mean ANY of us say. Maybe some people will be super pessimistic of the experience to the point they want it gone. NO. SEGA should not listen to that. It's seriously not a good time to abandon concepts anymore. There is nothing to go back to atm, so for fucks sakes, if this isn't perfect, please Sonic Team, just focus on refining it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Never thought we’d ever see an open world Sonic game. I’m excited for this. Its gonna be interesting if nothing else. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Unleashed leaned hard into the realistic side and is still widely considered the best looking Sonic game. Lets not pretend like they can't make this work.

The main difference here, is that as an open world, the stuff we are seeing right now probably isn't designed as traditional level structure, so its going to look foreign without the loops and boostpads (lol). How Sonic interacts with the space is going to determine if this environment truly feels like a Sonic world. If we can roll down hills and boost up the side of mountains, then the rest takes care of itself.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Not excited yet for the game honestly. I actually hate the art style for the world here, I never been a fan of tossing Sonic/cartoon characters into semi-realistic environments.  I super prefer surreal otherworldly locations for the Sonic series, it was also among the reasons why I disliked Sonic 06 and even half of the locations from Unleashed too. It also reminds me a lot of this ugly thing.

Anyways the part I am happy to hear about is Ian Flynn doing the story. Fans have been wanting him to do the game stories forever. Hopefully they keep him for future titles also.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I feel like a middle ground can only be achieved WITH refinement.

This is Sonic's first open world game, so it's gonna be pretty vanilla in ways. But god damn, Sonic Team can't just abandon this again. No matter what ANY, and I mean ANY of us say. Maybe some people will be super pessimistic of the experience to the point they want it gone. NO. SEGA should not listen to that. It's seriously not a good time to abandon concepts anymore. There is nothing to go back to atm, so for fucks sakes, if this isn't perfect, please Sonic Team, just focus on refining it.

If it sucks ass it should be dropped. You can't refine your way out of any and all mistakes, sometimes a decision is just wrong and you've got to back out and try something else.

• Thumbs Up 5

I can't find a single reason to be super glum about anything yet, but the lack of slopes and generally anything COMBINED with the primal fear that the controls will be as clunky as LW/Forces is a terrifying thought. I'd like to hope they'd be borrowing some ideals from PSO2 in at least making it fun to navigate the map, but the past leaks leave me very unsure.

Why they couldn't cobble together at least 5 seconds of gameplay footage is sort of beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If it sucks ass it should be dropped. You can't refine your way out of any and all mistakes, sometimes a decision is just wrong and you've got to back out and try something else.

There is no idea too bad to be refined. Just depends on what needs to be refined.

Scenario: Frontiers sucks. Why does it suck? Is the level design poor and boring? Just make it better next time, fivehead. Is the gameplay fundamentally boring or lacks engagement? Then yeah, you should probably put it on the backburner.

Sonic Team definitely needs to just pick a style to work on. If they fail, they always throw it in the trash (Storybook, Lost World). If they succeed, they stretch it for all its worth, fail once, and act like it was never worth it (Adventure, boost). Or maybe they just arbitrarily decide to ditch it anyway (also boost).

• Thumbs Up 3

If there's one thing about this series, it operates on extremes. Balance doesn't really seem to be anything the devs are interested in. 

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That's been your attitude in every thread since 06. That has been the way it's been going since Unleashed. Dropping whole bits of gameplay to prop up unsubstantial gameplay and scrambling about ideas going forward. Yeah, well I don't agree with that style of thinking. There's no element of gameplay I believe can be so unsalvageable.

At least not the fucking first time of all times.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it's just cos Forces looked like ass, but I didnt think this art style looked that bad. Can't wait to see the voodoo Sonic Team pulls to make it run on Switch.

Also, Flynns writing? Thats interesting to say the least. Game writing is a whole different wheelhouse from comics & cartoons, will be interesting to see if he can stick the landing. That is if anything he writes even makes it into the final game.

6 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Tee Lopes confirmed he and Ohtani composed the trailer, but it's not actually music from the game.

The fact that they're still working with Tee is exciting though. The trailer music is effective, and it makes me hopeful that Tee will be a part of games in the future. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

There's no element of gameplay I believe can be so unsalvageable.

The gameplay wouldn't be unsalvageable...

But whether or not it can be designed for Sonic is what determines if it sticks...and Sonic Team couldn't even make long corridors for more than just 2 games.

Just now, StaticMania said:

The gameplay wouldn't be unsalvageable...

But whether or not it can be designed for Sonic is what determines if it sticks...and Sonic Team couldn't even make long corridors for more than just 2 games.

I mean. They did manage for three games to make those corridors good so that's the plus. It's just too bad they couldn't make it actually substantial on its own. The closest they got was probably Gens and that was just sooo short.

*Sigh* Idk man.

5 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Can't wait to see the voodoo Sonic Team pulls to make it run on Switch.

4 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

image.png.8bbe2f9fdc83b08909ea41227ff4899f.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Sonic Team made three good games of boosting (specifically the boosting) and iterated on them, until they decided to do something else, screwed up, then hastily retreated to the boost without having what they needed to make use of it (like LEVEL DESIGNERS).

Forces is a rather atypical if understated game for its development and it's not really evidence of any concrete direction besides "this is Sonic Team when they're shitting themselves." Apparently, that would be making a mediocre, if nothing atrocious, game, compared to "Sonic Team when crunched like hell", which is how we get games like '06.

• Thumbs Up 3

I had to think about this for a little bit to try and sort out my feelings. 

So the realistic art style thing. That doesn't really bother me in itself. Sonic doesn't feel like he really integrates with the world because he's not rendered realistically, but its not a deal breaker. That's kind of a nitpicky thing.

What really gets me is how blatantly derivative the whole thing looks. Like, I saw the leak, I knew that they were taking inspiration from Breath of the Wild. But I thought that meant that they were taking the gameplay ethos and all that and putting their own creative spin on it. I was not expecting for the artstyle to be exactly Breath of the Wild. Seriously, if it weren't for the graphic fidelity, you could look at a freeze frame and think it's leaked footage from Breath of the Wild 2. And the towers...

I was expecting them to remix BotW's ideas and do something unique for Sonic, like a producer sampling a soul record and flipping it into a hip-hop beat. Instead it feels like a dodgy cover band singing "Livin' On a Prayer" and forgetting some of the words. 

I thought it was possible that this would be a big breakout moment for Sonic, but if they can't even come up with their own artstyle that makes me worried about what else they cut corners on.

• Thumbs Up 9

8 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Me too.

As much as I'd hate to say it. It'd probably be better off as a cloud game. At least so the Switch could run it well. Because I am definitely pessimistic it's going to run awfully.

All things considered, I feel pretty okay. This has definitely been the most optimistic Sonic game announcement trailer I've reacted to in quite a few years, at least when it comes to the main series, which is funny because my excitement levels are pretty tempered but that feels more like the result of a decade's worth of waiting for something like this to finally come along. Ironic that, now that I'm getting something like this, my reaction is fairly stable. 

I really want to run through those beautiful looking landscapes and explore. I want to see what Ian Flynn can do for a Sonic game story and all that. The idea of finding out what that area at night is going to be, which characters will be in it and how I'll come across them in the world... it all sounds neat to me. So far. 

My thoughts are, of course, incomplete right now but that's to be expected because we've only just now gotten the announcement trailer. 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Gloved Frontiers said:

I had to think about this for a little bit to try and sort out my feelings. 

So the realistic art style thing. That doesn't really bother me in itself. Sonic doesn't feel like he really integrates with the world because he's not rendered realistically, but its not a deal breaker. That's kind of a nitpicky thing.

What really gets me is how blatantly derivative the whole thing looks. Like, I saw the leak, I knew that they were taking inspiration from Breath of the Wild. But I thought that meant that they were taking the gameplay ethos and all that and putting their own creative spin on it. I was not expecting for the artstyle to be exactly Breath of the Wild. Seriously, if it weren't for the graphic fidelity, you could look at a freeze frame and think it's leaked footage from Breath of the Wild 2. And the towers...

I was expecting them to remix BotW's ideas and do something unique for Sonic, like a producer sampling a soul record and flipping it into a hip-hop beat. Instead it feels like a dodgy cover band singing "Livin' On a Prayer" and forgetting some of the words. 

I thought it was possible that this would be a big breakout moment for Sonic, but if they can't even come up with their own artstyle that makes me worried about what else they cut corners on.

I wonder how people thought the game was going to be "like Breath of the Wild" but also not have distinctly Breath of the Wild things like towers.

Art style, sure, it's nearly one-to-one, but "looking like Sonic" wouldn't change it being designed like an open world game, which is exactly to be expected if it is supposed to be like Breath of the Wild.

So much emphasis on the art style like that's the only difference between Breath of the Wild and any open world game.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

They did manage for three games to make those corridors good so that's the plus.

I did mean that literally by the way...

Sonic Colors outside of its 2D sections, has about 80% of nothing going on in its 3D corridors...

And Sonic Forces kinda does the same thing though it does have a bit more going on than Colours, but...it has QTEs, so there's that.