Awoo.

IDW Sonic Free Comic Book Day Issue 2022

GentlemanX

46f7dd32-fa56-4ade-8beb-17b51c081bbf-ima

Sonic The Hedgehog - Free Comic Book Day Special 2022

● Written by Ian Flynn

● Illustrated by Adam Bryce Thomas

● Cover by Adam Bryce Thomas

Sonic's racing into a brand-new adventure with his best buds (and co-stars of the hit new movie) Tails and Knuckles by his side! But Sonic's not the only super-speedster in town… Get caught up with everything you need to know about Sonic’s evil counterpart Surge before she and Sonic go head-to-head in the epic issue #50, a story years in the making!

Full Color • 32 pages

https://www.idwpublishing.com/news/articles/IDW-invites-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-and-sonic-the-hedgehog-fans-to-celebrate-free-comic-book-day-2022

Sounds like it'll at least partially be a tie-in to/recap? of the Imposter Syndrome Arc that's currently running. It's cool we're getting these two years in a row when IDW didn't give Sonic a Free Comic Book Day title for its first several years.

• Thumbs Up 7

Interesting stuff. Guess this is confirmation that Knuckles is coming back for a bit perhaps? Find it interesting how IDW seems to be really going all-in with Sonic Movie 2 promotion, between this, the mini-series, and the one off volume that reprints 4 issues featuring Sonic and Tails.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It's like IDW is really stirring up excitement for its series, which is a good sign!

Yes it is.

Weird decision to try tie this into Issue 50. I know IDW experiences delays and all, but given we're on #47 from next week, and FCBD isn't until May, they're gonna be missing the mark by quite a bit.

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Weird decision to try tie this into Issue 50. I know IDW experiences delays and all, but given we're on #47 from next week, and FCBD isn't until May, they're gonna be missing the mark by quite a bit.

Isn’t issue 50 out in like, June or something? Since they are alternating with Imposter Syndrome, I roughly worked it out as a May/June release for issue 50.

7 hours ago, caitash said:

Isn’t issue 50 out in like, June or something? Since they are alternating with Imposter Syndrome, I roughly worked it out as a May/June release for issue 50.

I’m not sure, I thought this was like past miniseries where the series was coming out alongside the miniseries per month. If they’re alternating, they probably could stretch it out to June, although personally, it feels like a bad call to deliberately stretch release periods like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

55 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

I’m not sure, I thought this was like past miniseries where the series was coming out alongside the miniseries per month. If they’re alternating, they probably could stretch it out to June, although personally, it feels like a bad call to deliberately stretch release periods like that.

That does seem to be what they're doing since there's no Imposter Syndrome this month.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Slashy said:

Is this just a recap issue like we got in the other Free Comic Book day issue?

I never kept up with FCBD so I have the same question: are these issues mostly recaps/previews, or are there times they do original materials?

21 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I never kept up with FCBD so I have the same question: are these issues mostly recaps/previews, or are there times they do original materials?

It depends on what the publisher wants to do. Usually most offerings are samplers/recaps/previews to bring in new fans but at times there are new, non-essential stories (make sure to check the solicits before going/feeling like you're wasting your time). IDW has done both with books like TMNT and likewise Archie did this a lot with Sonic and Mega Man in the past. Samplers are more common though.

2 hours ago, Zaysho said:

It depends on what the publisher wants to do. Usually most offerings are samplers/recaps/previews to bring in new fans but at times there are new, non-essential stories (make sure to check the solicits before going/feeling like you're wasting your time). IDW has done both with books like TMNT and likewise Archie did this a lot with Sonic and Mega Man in the past. Samplers are more common though.

Oh ok, thanks. Make sense they're mostly samplers, they're free after all.

I vaguely remember Sonic/Megaman having prelude(s) for the crossover, that must've been a FCBD issue.

13 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

The last one was both.

• 3 months later...

Liking the cover- like someone else said, I hope Knuckles is coming back for a bit, at least more than a few issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...