Awoo.

Sonic Lego Official Reveal and Price ($69.99)

VO.SUPER

Gotta say, this is a nice video they put together for the set and for the amount of pieces they put in, it's not a bad price. 

*The preview trailer includes Game Gear Green Hill, but not Mania Green Hill*

I know why that is but lmao anyway.

I'm so mixed on the set. On one hand, I like how Sonic looks and both Green Hill and the enemies look great.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that the Death Egg Robo, Flicky minifigs and the Hard Boiled Heavies didn't make it in and the Eggman figure, to put it simply, looks fucking disgusting and I wish they just made a new mold instead of what they did here.

4 hours ago, TB100 said:

I'm disappointed that the Death Egg Robo, Flicky minifigs and the Hard Boiled Heavies didn't make it in

Guessing that was partly a marketing decision. Make it close to Sonic 1's Green Hill rather than have any elements Mania introduced. The only exception to that having 7 Chaos Emeralds, rather than the 6 the first game had but that is an extreme nitpick.

I like the look of this. Eggman is a bit weird, yeah, but otherwise it looks nice and solid. Really though, I think the big hope is that this sells well. I know this set spawned from an Ideas set, but considering how they've done Sonic before with Dimensions, they're doing lines of Mario and Minecraft, and really with how many Ideas set have been declined seemingly due to their lack of "marketability", I have to imagine Lego must have some interest in making some sort of Sonic line, even if one smaller scale than their Mario line. My hope is that this sells well enough that Lego is convinced Sonic can have its own line of Lego.

I plan to buy this on January 1st.

I'm pretty sure they made this trailer solely to fuck with the fans that are sick of Green Hill Zone.

Regardless of it being a downgrade, I'll probably get this, and hopefully if it does well, we'll see more Lego Sonic. Can any Lego fans tell me if other Ideas sets have spun off into their own thing.

LEGO Minecraft is the only Ideas set that has directly led to a whole theme being made for it.

LEGO Friends (the show, not the original LEGO theme) hasn't made a whole theme per se, but its success has led to other sitcom sets being made (including Seinfeld and Queer Eye) and even a sequel set to the original Ideas set.

Then there's the bizarre situation with the LEGO NASA sets, which aren't officially a theme but there's been four major models which have alternated between being Ideas sets and being Creator Expert original releases.

10 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

LEGO Minecraft is the only Ideas set that has directly led to a whole theme being made for it.

LEGO Friends (the show, not the original LEGO theme) hasn't made a whole theme per se, but its success has led to other sitcom sets being made (including Seinfeld and Queer Eye) and even a sequel set to the original Ideas set.

Then there's the bizarre situation with the LEGO NASA sets, which aren't officially a theme but there's been four major models which have alternated between being Ideas sets and being Creator Expert original releases.

I don't think there is enough approved Ideas sets to really set much of a precedence. For one thing, several sets are totally unique. Several, like the NASA ones, are essentially just model recreations of vehicles or other things, like a guitar, vintage car, Van Goph painting. And a number of the ones based on existing franchises are from franchises that at the time were dead or dormant. Not to mention to add onto your list, the Ghostbusters ECTO-1 did lead to a set for the 2016 movie and a massive firehouse set.

Really, to me, all I'm saying is, I would assume Lego's highers ups would want to see how this set performs in sales, and whether or not that justifies future sets. I doubt Sonic would justify a big a line as Mario or Minecraft but I could see sets in the future. If we get a third live action movie, perhaps a set to tie into that for example? I do find it interesting how behind the scenes has changed this set from being Sonic Mania to being Sonic 1 inspired, to me that feels like a sign to avoid dating the set and making it a bit more mass appeal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I too am disappointed it's not the Mania one originally pitched but I will pick this up. It still looks pretty great. Is anyone 'in the know' with regards to Lego in the UK? If I walk into the Lego store in my town centre on January 1st with a fierce hangover are they likely to just have these in stock on launch day? Or does it not work that way? I haven't bought Lego in about 30 years so I don't know how it works lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

They haven't suggested these sets will have different release dates in specific territories, so in theory if you walk into a LEGO store on January 1st they should have the sets ready to buy.

This assuming it's a regular seller and not some red hot commodity for some reason. It's unlikely to be the latter.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

I too am disappointed it's not the Mania one originally pitched but I will pick this up. It still looks pretty great. Is anyone 'in the know' with regards to Lego in the UK? If I walk into the Lego store in my town centre on January 1st with a fierce hangover are they likely to just have these in stock on launch day? Or does it not work that way? I haven't bought Lego in about 30 years so I don't know how it works lol.

I'm in the UK too. It's listed on the official Lego website as an "exclusive", meaning just on the Lego site or Lego store. It's £60 and Lego delivers for free on purchases of over £50. There is a feature that after the set has launched, you can see if the product is in stock at your nearest Lego store if you do decide you'd rather just get it in person. I'm not sure exactly but maybe you might be able to reserve it and then pick it up if you call the store directly?

I'll probably be ordering it for delivery. My nearest store is an hour's bus ride away and frankly I'd rather not bother just for 1 set.

• Fist Bump 1

My closest LEGO store is either in Manchester or Birmingham, which are both an hour away...by train.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mine is Edinburgh, it's brand new as part of the brand new shopping centre that just got finished, St James Quarter. I really want to visit the center and the Lego store at some point, hopefully when I have a bit more money on hand. Anyway, you can buy the set now and you can check stock availability. I've ordered it for delivery, free standard delivery since it costs over £50, says I should get within 2-4 business days.

It's also limited to two sets per person/household on the site. I wonder if they do anticipate intense interest, because that sort of limit is only really on the desirable sets eg the new UCS AT-AT.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope to pick one of these up someday myself, but legos certainly are not cheap.

I'm looking forward to any future expansions.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, VO.SUPER said:

Has anyone here acquired the set? I'm interested in seeing how it is.

If you are still interested I bought it a week ago. The set is overall really ok and I'm glad they used a lot of classic Lego parts instead of creating special bigger ones. The main problem with the set, in my opinion, is the size which is not so big at all - Green Hill is approximately 30 cm long and a little to small comparing to Sonic minifigure. 

But to be honest I have a lot of fun with the set and I'm happy of purchasing it. Hope we will see more Sonic sets in the nearest future.

I was gifted the set for my birthday a couple weeks back and I'm really happy with it. Took me about 4 and a half hours to fully finish. Robotnik looks a little weird and there being seven emeralds included with Green Hill had me a little confused, but it looks fantastic when fully finished and I'm hoping they do other kits in the future. City Escape, anyone?