Awoo.

Yuji Naka in Sonic 2

CVGWJames

During production of the first Sonic movie at one point, the producers considered having Yuji Naka make a cameo in the movie, Stan Lee style like in the Marvel movies. However, the idea was forgotten and Mr. Naka never appeared. With the sequel, could the producers make up for not doing so by having Yuji Naka finally make a cameo in a Sonic movie? Imagine that, even if its a blink and you'll miss moment, we can see the freaking creator of Sonic himself show up. Too bad it hasn't been confirmed yet, but you may never know when some people may guess things right while taking shots in the dark as it has happened many times before.

-CVGWJames

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I really don't think it is necessary. There is no harm in it I suppose, but not every moment of the movie needs to be a reference and there is nothing to make up for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yuji Naka is a bit overplayed as "the creator of Sonic" - he didn't design the character, he is simply responsible for the programming of the original game, but that's about the only inarguably good thing he did for the series the entire time he was involved, and recent allegations have painted him as a bit of a dick to other people working on Sonic/SEGA products, especially those overseas from Japan.

His positive contributions to the series are beloved and important, but I can't say I particularly care whether he shows up in the second Sonic movie or not.  It kind of plays up the movies as more important than they are too - because movies are seen as more mainstream entertainment, fans seem to see them as the most important piece of Sonic media out there, like being featured in them is the highest honour one could bestow on anyone involved with Sonic.  The first movie was a triumph as far as how it could've gone, and I'm glad the movies exist - they're a worthwhile piece of media in the Sonic franchise as a whole, but they're also "just another" piece of Sonic media. Getting every pre-existing element of the series you like featured or referenced in some way shouldn't really matter too much compared to hoping that the movie is a solid contribution to the series in general.

• Thumbs Up 4

There are a small handful of people I would rather see cameo over Naka. I'd vote for Jaleel White or Mike Pollock as being the first two in line for something like that.

Personally, I think the current state of the franchise proves that Naoto Ohshima did more for the series than Naka did.... but nobody would recognize that guy, so a cameo would be wasted on him.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it would be cool if they could get Yuji Naka to make an cameo in the movie. I'm not sure if that will happen. I guess we will see. 

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

There are a small handful of people I would rather see cameo over Naka. I'd vote for Jaleel White or Mike Pollock as being the first two in line for something like that.

Personally, I think the current state of the franchise proves that Naoto Ohshima did more for the series than Naka did.... but nobody would recognize that guy, so a cameo would be wasted on him.

I wouldn't mind if it just anyone who work on Sonic before. It will be cool to see any of these guys appearing.

I hear one of the writers wanted Jaleel to make an cameo for the movie according to this interview which was posted a few days after the movie was released.:

“I hope this is not a spoiler for anybody waiting but I really wanna get Jaleel White involved somehow… he was in a super bowl ad by the way.”

They could also get Iizuka to make an cameo for the movie. He did visit the filming set for the first one. An picture of him at Sonic's bedroom can be seen here. Surprised that the crew didn't ask him to make an cameo for the previous one when he was at the set.:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it would be cool, but for what? As a reference to someone who left the character after the first poorly received game? There have been people working on Sonic longer who might be more deserving IMO.

1 hour ago, KnuxDLX said:

Yeah it would be cool, but for what? As a reference to someone who left the character after the first poorly received game? There have been people working on Sonic longer who might be more deserving IMO.

I know he is not perfect. He did something good before. Well, he was the lead programmer of the original Sonic the Hedgehog series of games. I know he doesn't work at Sega anymore, but he had been at Sega since 1984. which was a long time ago.

Given that the movie was filmed entirely during the pandemic and he is in Japan, there might be Covid restrictions that could prevent him from leaving the country if he want to headed to Vancouver or Hawaii to filmed an cameo scene. So, I'm not sure if that is likely. If they were not able to get to him. Why not get this guy? He had been involved in Sonic a lot. Iizuka was at the filming set for the first one. I'm surprised the movie crew didn't ask him to appear in the movie. He really like the movie, now that the movie had gotten a lot of praise. Iizuka relocated to Los Angeles to become the VP of Product Development at Sega of America, while retaining his title as the head of Sonic Team. So, maybe, they could get this guy to make an cameo. Here is an picture of him at Sonic's bedroom.

E5AnUgcVoA0jpA9?format=jpg&name=large

• Thumbs Up 3

I was disappointed Naka, Oshima and Iizuka didn't make an appearance in the first one. Why couldn't one of those rings have opened up in Tokyo and had Robotnik and Sonic zip past them while they were sat outside an izakaya or something?

Hope they appear in the sequel but I doubt it as Naka would surely have posted something on social media about it. Sucks they weren't at the premiere either.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2022 at 7:52 AM, Dr Ryan said:

I was disappointed Naka, Oshima and Iizuka didn't make an appearance in the first one. Why couldn't one of those rings have opened up in Tokyo and had Robotnik and Sonic zip past them while they were sat outside an izakaya or something?

Hope they appear in the sequel but I doubt it as Naka would surely have posted something on social media about it. Sucks they weren't at the premiere either.

That would be cool. I would love to see a scene like that in the movie. I don't think it's likely. 

Maybe, they could at least get Iizuka to appear in the movie if they are not able to get the other two to appear in the movie. I know he did make an cameo appearance in that Team Sonic Racing launch trailer as a supermarket employee in the end that was released a few years ago.

Also, it's a shame that none of them were at the Sonic movie premiere event. It would be great if they were there.