Awoo.

SEGA Reveals Localisation Options for 'Sonic Frontiers'

phobs

Localization options for Sonic Frontiers were announced. Congratulations to Portuguese and Russian fans!

As Russian speaker, I'm pretty sure that this is the first official translation of the game in Russian language.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, phobs said:

Localization options for Sonic Frontiers were announced. Congratulations to Portuguese and Russian fans!

As Russian speaker, I'm pretty sure that this is the first official translation of the game in Russian language.

This is great for Brazilian fans. And it's also great for Korean, Polish, Russian and Chinese fans... with an Xbox or gaming PC. 

Since when are languages ever platform specific? If those text translations exist, why aren't they are in every version? 

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, that's strange that it's only for XBox/PC, I don't really see why the translation files wouldn't be in the PS5/PS4/Switch builds, if anything it looks to me harder to separate that. Would it be possible that these translation are made in relationship with Microsoft maybe ? That's the only plausible cause that I see, because SEGA have no real interest in not doing that otherwise...

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

This is great for Brazilian fans. And it's also great for Korean, Polish, Russian and Chinese fans... with an Xbox or gaming PC. 

Since when are languages ever platform specific? If those text translations exist, why aren't they are in every version? 

Apparently, Xbox is more popular in China then PS5. Perhaps, it is financially not worth it to do subs for PS5

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, phobs said:

Apparently, Xbox is more popular in China then PS5. Perhaps, it is financially not worth it to do subs for PS5

how much effort and financial cost could it even be to put those subs on other consoles? I feel like it would probably be relatively simple lol

it's just strange to me, I never heard of console-exclusive language options before

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

how much effort and financial cost could it even be to put those subs on other consoles? I feel like it would probably be relatively simple lol

it's just strange to me, I never heard of console-exclusive language options before

@phobsYes, this is also the point that I'm making. The work has already been done on creating the translations. At this point, it's just the case that SEGA are adding that work exclusively to the Xbox versions rather than adding it to the base game that's getting ported to/developed for multiple versions in parallel. At a really big push, you could argue that the cartridge storage space is an issue for the Switch version. But even then its just text. I find it hard to believe that there'd not be enough space for it, and that argument doesn't hold up at all for the PS versions. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Given how popular the Switch is in just about every Asian territory, locking Korean subs behind the Xbox and PC versions seems like an incredibly foolish decision. What's the deal with that? I'm glad more subs are coming, but that is a very peculiar caveat.

• Thumbs Up 1

61000872-2802-421C-95C3-269BDE3B94BE.jpeg.115eec1abbd3517871d9b01363158352.jpeg

the Japan Official twitter put out this chart of which languages will be supported in the Japanese release

I think it reads like this

Audio:

• Japanese
  • English
  • French
  • Italian
  • German
  • Spanish

Text:  

• Japanese
  • English
  • Korean
  • Chinese (Traditional)
  • Chinese (Simplified)
  • Brazilian Portuguese
  • French
  • Italian
  • German
  • Spanish
  • Russian
  • Polish

• Thumbs Up 3

Oooh, it explain everything. So on the XB/PC version there will be an "international version", while PS4/PS5/Switch will have several version with only some languages, like here where the japanese version will contain only english/japanese/korean scripts. It makes more sense.

• Thumbs Up 1