Awoo.

STOP THE EARN-IT ACT! ONLINE CENSORSHIP BILL BEING FAST-TRACKED BY US SENATE!

SenEDDtor Missile

The video might be from 2 years ago, but the points still stand.

https://act.eff.org/action/stop-the-earn-it-act-to-save-our-privacy

https://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blog/2022/02/earn-it-act-back-and-it’s-more-dangerous-ever

https://www.aclu.org/news/free-speech/the-earn-it-act-is-a-disaster-for-online-speech-and-privacy-especially-for-the-lgbtq-and-sex-worker-communities

https://fullhalalalchemist.tumblr.com/post/675056231663190016/urgent-earn-it-act-is-back-in-the-senate

So the U.S. Senate has revived an old surveillance act and if it gets through, companies might find it too risky to encrypt stuff and need to scan all online content. It's basically the people in power trying to sneak by online censorship, and LGBT groups and human rights groups are STAUNCHLY against this.

It’s a bill that’s being framed as being about “protecting children”, but a lot of the info from various human rights/online privacy groups like ACLU are saying that not only does it fail to protect children from exploitation, it also removes encryption from the internet, making privacy nonexistent. If it passes, there’s a high chance that LGBT and racial content will be targeted and censored, since this bill is being supported by an anti-LGBT hate group called NCOSE. Anything that the government doesn’t agree with could be scrubbed out using private companies as proxies, and mature content removed. This bill is blatantly anti-free speech, and it’s not getting enough attention since they're trying to keep it under the radar and sneak it by.

Here is a quick summary of what the bill is most likely designed to do, despite their claims of dealing with Child Safety online:

- there’s a high chance that LGBT and racial content will be targeted and censored, since the bill is being pushed by a known Hate Group called NCOSE (formerly known as Morality in Media).

- it will remove encryption from the internet, making privacy nonexistent. All of your private messages/anything will no longer be private.

- making the internet (And the United States for that matter) much less secure against hackers, foreign entity attacks, thus also making this bill an impending national security nightmare for the USA on TOP of being invasive.

- And (ironically), not only making the internet LESS safe for kids, but also making the internet and government less able to deal with child and sexual predators. By letting third parties spy on kids' most private thoughts and photos, they are basically making it much easier for child abuse to occur, making it much easier for predators online to find and target these kids. And by forcing websites to become state actors and collect CSAM (Child Sexual Abuse Material), they basically make that evidence completely inadmissible in court. Which means that sexual predators are more likely to run free.

In other words, not only does this bill destroy online privacy and give power to a hate group and a government that wants to control and censor ANY content on the internet, it utterly fails to even protect the kids that it claims to help, which defeats the supposed intent of the bill entirely.

But it gets worse:

If this bill passes and is signed into law, the people in charge can use this as an excuse to censor and silence any activism they deem to be against their interests. INCLUDING US.

If they get this act through, people like them will abuse this in order to censor ANYTHING that goes against what the hate groups and the government want.

BLM activism? GONE.

LGBT activism and content online? GONE.

Online privacy? GONE.

Abuse Survivors Speaking Out Safely? GONE.

Activism Against Dictatorships across the world? GONE.

I can't stress enough just how TERRIBLE this bill really is, and while searching the following hashtags (#EarnItAct #StopTheEARNITAct2022 #STOPTHEEARNITACT #StopTheEARNITAAct2022) will show people being aware of it, we still need more awareness to be spread so that more people will realize how dangerous this bill really is.

The hashtags above on Twitter will show just how strong the opposition is, and the following Discord link will lead you to a server that has more resources and to figure out a means to combat this bill. https://discord.gg/44vYfQNUxX

So I’m begging you, take this seriously. Call your Senators. Fax them, email them, petition them. Tell them they MUST oppose this bill, and for Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, to NOT allow this bill to reach the Senate Floor.

There is a script being passed around that might help:

The ANTI-Earn IT Act Call Script For Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, and Other Senators

Edited by SenEDDtor Missile
Updating OP
  • Thumbs Up 1

Would this actually work?

I mean, we’ve been here before and I don’t know if petitions like these have actually had any effect beyond making people aware (which I suppose is the actual point here, but I’ve not heard much of petitions actually having any effect).

• Thumbs Up 1

Though I am not American, I have heard about the affects this bill can have. The government has the ability to remove ANYTHING that they do not like, and can peer over people's shoulders to make sure they do not post anything they do not like. It shatters privacy laws, and encroaches on the First Amendment of the American Constitution.

This bill actually goes against the constitution. Again, not American, but also not seeing any benefit for my American friends, as this is just taking advantage of moral panic by saying it removes any of the things which prudes and pearl-clutchers have historically been against, while insidiously actually removing any sense of privacy by watching over American users.

Don't let it pass, damn it.

On 2/5/2022 at 7:30 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Would this actually work?

I mean, we’ve been here before and I don’t know if petitions like these have actually had any effect beyond making people aware (which I suppose is the actual point here, but I’ve not heard much of petitions actually having any effect).

The petitions are just a starting point. We need people to spread the word on social media. Twitter's Hashtags are: #EarnItAct #StopTheEARNITAct2022 #STOPTHEEARNITACT #StopTheEARNITAAct2022

There's also a Discord Server for extra resources and planning in order to get the message out to as many people as possible.

https://discord.gg/44vYfQNUxX

This bill is dangerous, and even if we can't fully stop the bill, we need to at least do everything in our power to slow it down and possibly force the Senate to shelve it.

So please, just tell as many people as you know about this, use the hashtags, and just get more people aware of what's going on. We can't sleepwalk and ignore this.

Reminder that blumentha;, one of the senators that introduce the bill, falsely claimed to be a vietnam vet.  He served but he didnt go to vietnam.

15 hours ago, TailsGotTrolled said:

Reminder that blumentha;, one of the senators that introduce the bill, falsely claimed to be a vietnam vet.  He served but he didnt go to vietnam.

While I didn't know that bit, I do know that this isn't the first time he's tried to weasel this bill in along with Lindsey Graham. They tried this song and dance 2 years ago with nearly all of the same people.

@Polkadi~☆ @CrownSlayer’s Shadow I can't stress enough just how TERRIBLE this bill really is, and while searching the following hashtags (#EarnItAct #StopTheEARNITAct2022 #STOPTHEEARNITACT #StopTheEARNITAAct2022) will show people being aware of it, we still need more awareness to be spread so that more people will realize how dangerous this bill really is.

The hashtags above on Twitter will show just how strong the opposition is, and the following Discord link will lead you to a server that has more resources and to figure out a means to combat this bill. https://discord.gg/44vYfQNUxX

So I’m begging you, take this seriously. Call your Senators. Fax them, email them, petition them. Tell them they MUST oppose this bill, and for Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, to NOT allow this bill to reach the Senate Floor.

There is a script being passed around that might help:

The ANTI-Earn IT Act Call Script For Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, and Other Senators