Awoo.

What happened to the whole Rally4Sally Thing?

Rabbitearsblog

I remembered that some time back, there was this huge initiative to bring Sally Acorn back to the comics and to the franchise as a whole and it was title something like "Rally4Sally." I see that they still have a Twitter account, but is that initiative still going or has it died down?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well let's see...

Some of the people behind it decided to share "views" regarding people on the autism spectrum.

There have been accusations of harassment from some of the main names behind it to employees at sega and hardlight.

So... between that and the odd "attraction" like behaviour some of them have to the squirrel, not many people want to be associated with it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

18 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Well let's see...

Some of the people behind it decided to share "views" regarding people on the autism spectrum.

There have been accusations of harassment from some of the main names behind it to employees at sega and hardlight.

So... between that and the odd "attraction" like behaviour some of them have to the squirrel, not many people want to be associated with it.

Ah, so that's what happened. I know that there was some controversy regarding that movement.  It's such a shame though.  Sally could have come back in the comics or the franchise at some point if that project was headed by the right people.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, even if that never happened, activist groups like this have typically never have had any impact on what a company does or doesn't do, as it's mostly a vocal minority. Plus now because of the thing with Ken Penders, anything from Archie is basically permanently legally off the table, and SEGA are most likely unwilling to spend the money to use characters when they can just make new characters that are similar (see: Surge being a Scourge expy).

Fact is there are these kinds of movements about all sorts of things all the time; see Sonic adventure 3, Chao Gardens, etc. A company chooses to ignore them because these groups are a bad way of knowing genuine interest. A lot of people like to join in on things they don't even actually care about if it's for a memeable cause (see: Waluigi in Smash- most of the people who rallied for that didn't even ever care about the character).

• Thumbs Up 5

50 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

Plus now because of the thing with Ken Penders, anything from Archie is basically permanently legally off the table, and SEGA are most likely unwilling to spend the money to use characters when they can just make new characters that are similar (see: Surge being a Scourge expy).

That’s actually not the case with characters like Sally—SEGA owns Sally, and could literally drop her into Frontiers if they so decided to, they just have no interest. She’s completely immune to the lawsuit with Penders, unlike Scourge. (And I would rather not have an expy of Sally when I could just have Sally herself)

• Thumbs Up 4

The other half of my statement still has validity though. Companies don't tend to do things based on petitions or online discussions. They only tend to trust their own research data from their own internal surveys. So I guess your best shot is to ask for Sally to come back every time SEGA prompts for a survey related to Sonic, and hope that enough people mention it to make a difference.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Shade Vortex said:

The other half of my statement still has validity though. Companies don't tent to do things based on petitions or online discussions. They only tend to trust their own research data from their own internal surveys. So I guess your best shot is to ask for Sally to come back every time SEGA prompts for a survey related to Sonic, and hope that enough people mention it to make a difference.

Or if a critic says something about Sally.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, even if this movement wasn't so controversial, it probably wouldn't have helped Sally's case since I'm pretty sure that most of the fandom and the general audience don't know who Sally Acorn is. I mean, how many people have actually watched Sonic SATAM or read the Archie Comics, where Sally's presence was the most known?  You would have to get like over 1 million people to get involved in this movement for SEGA to really pay attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently comparing things on Google Trends is my new thing, so I made one comparing Sally and Amy.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F01mx1l,%2Fg%2F11gslsy_wv,Sally Acorn,Sally sonic,Sonic %26 Sally

Seems like Sally is around 10-15% as popular as Amy, of course if she had actually appeared anywhere in any official capacity in the last 20 years she might be a little higher.

Comparing Sally and Sonic does not yield good data. The percentages for Sally are all less than 1% relative to Sonic.

I do want her back though I think she’s a great character. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, KnuxDLX said:

Apparently comparing things on Google Trends is my new thing, so I made one comparing Sally and Amy.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F01mx1l,%2Fg%2F11gslsy_wv,Sally Acorn,Sally sonic,Sonic %26 Sally

Seems like Sally is around 10-15% as popular as Amy, of course if she had actually appeared anywhere in any official capacity in the last 20 years she might be a little higher.

Comparing Sally and Sonic does not yield good data. The percentages for Sally are all less than 1% relative to Sonic.

I do want her back though I think she’s a great character. 

Yeah, I still want Sally back too.  I think she's one of the most well-developed characters in the franchise, even if she never showed up in the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Also, even if this movement wasn't so controversial, it probably wouldn't have helped Sally's case since I'm pretty sure that most of the fandom and the general audience don't know who Sally Acorn is. I mean, how many people have actually watched Sonic SATAM or read the Archie Comics, where Sally's presence was the most known?

The exact same number of people who grew up during the classics and hold it up as the golden age? Because she was present during the said golden years.

She may not be immensely popular like the likes of Shadow, but Sally is still among the more well known of Sonic characters even if she isn’t marketed as much—much like how Blaze the Cat is popular despite having little marketing to her compared to others. The general audience may not be as familiar as the more hardcore base, but then when has that really stopped any chance from gaining attention?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think modern audiences not knowing who the character is really matters. How many modern fans--not hardcore enthusiasts/old heads--who never read the Archie comics (which, until Mania, was the only thing keeping them alive at all) or played the two games either of them appeared in (which have not been rereleased) knew who Mighty and Ray even were?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

I don't think modern audiences not knowing who the character is really matters. How many modern fans--not hardcore enthusiasts/old heads--who never read the Archie comics (which, until Mania, was the only thing keeping them alive at all) or played the two games either of them appeared in (which have not been rereleased) knew who Mighty and Ray even were?

I guess if SEGA tried to introduce Sally into the games, then modern viewers would be introduced to the character.  However, I have a feeling that Sally will be a much different character than how she was in the comics and Satam.

There have been exhaustive discussions on this message board almost every year since Archie got canceled about how to incorporate and reintroduce those characters in a games-specific universe, be it in the games themselves or just IDW. Most fans accept that is a part of the bargain.

10 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

There have been exhaustive discussions on this message board almost every year since Archie got canceled about how to incorporate and reintroduce those characters in a games-specific universe, be it in the games themselves or just IDW. Most fans accept that is a part of the bargain.

Not only that, but it already happened in Archie before it got canceled. It wouldn’t be the first time at this point—try telling old school Sally fans that she now has/had twin wrist mounted laser-swords in the rebooted comics, cuz having grown up with this character I can tell you that was never a thing with her.

20 hours ago, KnuxDLX said:

Comparing her to Amy isn't fair. But she still scores more than any non-game character like Sticks, Tangle or Scourge (he's 2nd I think).

And even in games she's comparable to Espio and Vector, let alone TIkal or Jet.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fg%2F11gslsy_wv,%2Fg%2F121hxq_j,%2Fg%2F12175vjx,%2Fg%2F11c3ywb9vk

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Comparing her to Amy isn't fair. But she still scores more than any non-game character like Sticks, Tangle or Scourge (he's 2nd I think).

And even in games she's comparable to Espio and Vector, let alone TIkal or Jet.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fg%2F11gslsy_wv,%2Fg%2F121hxq_j,%2Fg%2F12175vjx,%2Fg%2F11c3ywb9vk

Ooh I like yours better! So yeah she seems to be about as popular as Vector and possibly the most popular character who hasn’t appeared in any games? That would fit with my experience.

One thing i'm hearing from sonictubers is that most of the characters introduced in IDW are designed like they could be fun playable characters (even starline with his heel spurs.)  Sally didnt really have anything like that (even the blades or whatever were pretty meh.)

Although I get the feeling some of the fans who want her in the games 30 years after satam are hoping they can play as her with only one hand on the controller.

1 hour ago, TailsGotTrolled said:

One thing i'm hearing from sonictubers is that most of the characters introduced in IDW are designed like they could be fun playable characters (even starline with his heel spurs.)  Sally didnt really have anything like that (even the blades or whatever were pretty meh.)

I guarantee you and those same Sonictubers wouldn’t be saying that if they gave those blades to Tangle or Whisper instead of Sally.

1 hour ago, TailsGotTrolled said:

Although I get the feeling some of the fans who want her in the games 30 years after satam are hoping they can play as her with only one hand on the controller.

Oh grow up. You're more than welcome to criticize Sally for lack of abilities that translate into gameplay, but if you expect not to receive a strike in the imminent future you should probably not trivialize people by portraying them as furry wank bait like this.

Shit, it's not even like this is true anymore, and you'd probably know that if you'd actually seen her in any comic in the past eight years.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Not only that, but it already happened in Archie before it got canceled. It wouldn’t be the first time at this point—try telling old school Sally fans that she now has/had twin wrist mounted laser-swords in the rebooted comics, cuz having grown up with this character I can tell you that was never a thing with her.

Oh yeah.  They pretty much redesigned Sally and the Freedom Fighters to fit into the new universe that SEGA wanted.  So, why can't SEGA just bring them over to the IDW comics?

8 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh yeah.  They pretty much redesigned Sally and the Freedom Fighters to fit into the new universe that SEGA wanted.  So, why can't SEGA just bring them over to the IDW comics?

A lack of interest.

As far as I know, that’s really it. They know the demand is there tho.

• Thumbs Up 2

If this Google Trends can be trusted then

1 Sonic is #1 (obviously)

2 Tails, Amy, Shadow, Knuckles and Eggman are comparable
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F01x1wl,%2Fm%2F015dxd,%2Fm%2F01h4t2,%2Fm%2F01mx1l,%2Fm%2F01rk30
Shadow was visibly #2 best pre-2010 and Knuckles had short lived "Uganda Knuckles" peak.
Nowadays Tails has small edge and Eggman has slight "negative" edge, but it's all flexible.
Although, keep in mind that Tails is 1 word, so maaaybe he has "Sonic unrelated" boost. Really not sure.

3) Next are Metal and Rouge, followed closely by Silver, Blaze and Cream (and if you count them, Super Sonic & Werehog)
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fm%2F021616,rouge the bat,%2Fm%2F01r4bh,%2Fm%2F0d2s6_,%2Fm%2F066_0n
Silver was actually "tier 2" in pre-2010 period and, surprisingly, so was Cream during 2010-2011. No idea how.
(Rouge lacks her own category for some reason. Don't know if this effects things, but I doubt many people search for pink bats)
(BTW, no idea where Big the Cat fits. He might be actually below Eggman, or "big the cat" is popular search unrelated to Sonic.)

4) Espio is clearly next, but closer to Mephiles, Sally, Scourge, Vector, followed by Tails Doll, Tikal, Sticks, Vanilla, Charmy,
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fg%2F11gslsy_wv,%2Fm%2F0chvwqf,%2Fg%2F12175vjx,%2Fg%2F121hxq_j,%2Fm%2F0dwckk
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fg%2F1213hr93,%2Fg%2F120s70k5,%2Fg%2F1214fxlt,%2Fg%2F11c3ywb9vk,%2Fm%2F04wv5k
(Omega and Chaos might be here, but not sure. They're a bit hard to google)

5) Even lower are Zavok, Jet, Mighty, Wave and who knows next, it's getting very low (but Eggette fits here)
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=eggette,%2Fg%2F120ql0rt,%2Fg%2F11ffv2kr6p,%2Fg%2F1211qzz6,%2Fg%2F120x6733

And before you ask, IDW cast is still very low.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fg%2F11g1lwj6z3,%2Fm%2F06wzww,%2Fm%2F045g84,%2Fm%2F02py26,%2Fg%2F120x6733

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

If this Google Trends can be trusted then

1 Sonic is #1 (obviously)

2 Tails, Amy, Shadow, Knuckles and Eggman are comparable
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F01x1wl,%2Fm%2F015dxd,%2Fm%2F01h4t2,%2Fm%2F01mx1l,%2Fm%2F01rk30
Shadow was visibly #2 best pre-2010 and Knuckles had short lived "Uganda Knuckles" peak.
Nowadays Tails has small edge and Eggman has slight "negative" edge, but it's all flexible.
Although, keep in mind that Tails is 1 word, so maaaybe he has "Sonic unrelated" boost. Really not sure.

3) Next are Metal and Rouge, followed closely by Silver, Blaze and Cream (and if you count them, Super Sonic & Werehog)
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fm%2F021616,rouge the bat,%2Fm%2F01r4bh,%2Fm%2F0d2s6_,%2Fm%2F066_0n
Silver was actually "tier 2" in pre-2010 period and, surprisingly, so was Cream during 2010-2011. No idea how.
(Rouge lacks her own category for some reason. Don't know if this effects things, but I doubt many people search for pink bats)
(BTW, no idea where Big the Cat fits. He might be actually below Eggman, or "big the cat" is popular search unrelated to Sonic.)

4) Espio is clearly next, but closer to Mephiles, Sally, Scourge, Vector, followed by Tails Doll, Tikal, Sticks, Vanilla, Charmy,
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fg%2F11gslsy_wv,%2Fm%2F0chvwqf,%2Fg%2F12175vjx,%2Fg%2F121hxq_j,%2Fm%2F0dwckk
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fg%2F1213hr93,%2Fg%2F120s70k5,%2Fg%2F1214fxlt,%2Fg%2F11c3ywb9vk,%2Fm%2F04wv5k
(Omega and Chaos might be here, but not sure. They're a bit hard to google)

5) Even lower are Zavok, Jet, Mighty, Wave and who knows next, it's getting very low (but Eggette fits here)
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=eggette,%2Fg%2F120ql0rt,%2Fg%2F11ffv2kr6p,%2Fg%2F1211qzz6,%2Fg%2F120x6733

And before you ask, IDW cast is still very low.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fg%2F11g1lwj6z3,%2Fm%2F06wzww,%2Fm%2F045g84,%2Fm%2F02py26,%2Fg%2F120x6733

I guess I can understand the IDW cast being low because they are still relatively new, while characters like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have been around for years.