Awoo.

Mario Strikers Battle League - Switch - June 10th 2022 - "Football is Charged once more"

Ryannumber1gamer

Just announced during the direct! Mario Strikers is getting it's first new game in over 10 years! It'll feature five v five gameplay, and will allow eight players to play on a single switch! Looks like the style has been fully replicated as well!

• Thumbs Up 2

Given how controversial this series was to Nintendo, I have to wonder what kind of black magic was conducted to get this series back from the dead???

40 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Given how controversial this series was to Nintendo, I have to wonder what kind of black magic was conducted to get this series back from the dead???

Controversial? What's been said about it? 

Strikers is the best Mario Sports series by far. I'm really glad that this is happening. And seeing as this is from Next Level Games instead of Camelot, hopefully it won't be light on content and substance like the recent golf and tennis games. It's already got visual flair going for it, which is more than can be said for the rest. 

The only downside I'm seeing is a distinct lack of Diddy Kong in the character roster... Hope he's just an unlockable. Although Boom Boom as the goalie instead of Kritter. That's lame. 

21 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Controversial? What's been said about it? 

Well, specifically to Nintendo.

I'm not saying it was controversial to the playerbase.

You know how Nintendo aren't exactly on board with massive shifts from the Mario franchise outlook, well Strikers was the epitome of diverging from the jovial usual look of Mario. It was darker and edgier, and much more provactive than you expect a Mario game.

Loved it, but Nintendo apparently weren't really too taken with it.

So, it's nothing short of a miracle that it's back after all these years.

37 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Well, specifically to Nintendo.

I'm not saying it was controversial to the playerbase.

You know how Nintendo aren't exactly on board with massive shifts from the Mario franchise outlook, well Strikers was the epitome of diverging from the jovial usual look of Mario. It was darker and edgier, and much more provactive than you expect a Mario game.

Loved it, but Nintendo apparently weren't really too taken with it.

So, it's nothing short of a miracle that it's back after all these years.

Again though, when did Nintendo say this? They approved both of the first two Strikers games in the first place. Mario got exceptionally stagnant during the Wii and Wii U eras, and the last Strikers game was an early Wii title. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/9/2022 at 6:53 PM, Blue Blood said:

Again though, when did Nintendo say this? They approved both of the first two Strikers games in the first place. Mario got exceptionally stagnant during the Wii and Wii U eras, and the last Strikers game was an early Wii title. 

There was also another post from an industry insider on ResetEra(yeah take with a grain of salt) That they made an quality assurance team around NSMBW's release to make sure this wouldn't happen

Maybe there's more to it but when you realize how the series really felt homogenized for a while until around Odyssey it does add some weight. Also explains the state of Paper Mario and Mario Party why the Toads and enemies all look the same. It's even been pointed out that newer Nintendo games have had them in the credits 

Spoiler

5G9HAiy.png

egdhPex.png

KAhfvks.png

I'd like to assume that things have slowly died down with Miyamoto wanting the franchise to be less rigid  with stuff like Bowser's Fury introducing that concept and the Mario movie adding Cranky Kong and Foreman Spike off all people. So who knows *Shrugs* 

• Thumbs Up 2

I just want to address the gameplay/mechanic changes in the upcoming Mario Strikers: Battle League game...

Just the ones apparent so far in the trailer.

The new Super Strikes: In the original game, functionally all Super Strikes were the same and only the aesthetic of the ball trail changed. In Strikers Charged, again functionally all the Mega Strikes were the same and each character's visual aesthetic for the strike changed...for some it was even related to their character item (i.e. Waluigi's vines, Bowser Jr.'s Sonic Screech)

The "Hyper" Strikes of the new game are going back to the basics in a way, in that they only score 2 goals like the original (and the goalie will of course block any imperfect strikes as a CPU).

The Character items of Strikers Charged are gone it seems, but NLG look to be combining the character items with the Super Strike. As each Hyper Strike effect is based on the character (Yoshi's Egg bouncing, Luigi's Cyclone) which is a nice mix.

Because you don't appear to pick a Captain & Sidekicks anymore, you can just pick any character (who would've been a captain previously), they've decided to make it so Hyper Strikes are an item drop which deals with the issue of any character being able to do them whenever they want (ex. The Super Team from the original game)

Character specific dekes seem to not returning from Strikers Charged as well. Can't be too sure here, Donkey Kong was only character in the trailer who actually did one...but it was an actual dodge instead of...a defensive attack. Not every character in Charged had an attack either, but it's probably for the best that this is gone...can't have people teleporting past or jumping over the goalie again.

This is just an animation thing, but it does seem like characters have more unique tackles than before. I noticed Mario does a drop kick, Waluigi does what looks like a spinning bird kick (on the ground), Yoshi waves his tongue in front of him instead of simply sticking it out like in Charged. Certain characters may still have better tackles than others, but it wasn't clear from the trailer.

They only showed 3 items being used in the trailer and the only change I could see is that...when using a giant Bob-omb, instead of throwing it at the opponent, it appears to just walk towards the enemy...this pretty much is functionally no different since it still has a big explosion. If the opponent is far away from you, it may just walk that far or it might still be thrown.

Since the characters have armor again...like in Charged, the only thing worth noting is that the armor actually does something now, due to the customization options.

We were only shown a single field in the trailer and it mashes two different aesthetics together for the Home & Away teams...not sure how that will matter in the long run until we see more. No hazards shown in the trailer.

Edit: I did forget one thing (thanks to random youtube commenter), I also noticed that items now come from Mario Kart item boxes...and those get thrown from the audience. This could possibly mean that you no longer get items from being tackled without possessing the ball or doing a charged shot at the goal.

Maybe.

Edit #2: Another thing I forgot, mainly because I didn't notice it (thanks again random youtube comment), something worthwhile in the CGI portion of the trailer is that right before DK punches Mario & Toad, Bowser slides into him. Apparently you may be able to do a super tackle that's more effective since it hits for longer? I think the fact that it lasts longer is the benefit, because Tackles could already hit 2 people in Charged...

• Thumbs Up 1

Edit #3:

It looks like they have brought back the "run" button from the original Strikers, during random bits of gameplay footage I noticed that characters who don't have the ball suddenly start running faster with a trail behind them.

In the original game, only characters who had possession of the ball could "run" and running would be indicated by a trail appearing behind you.

Around the end of trailer I saw Rosalina "push" the ball away from herself and was confused at what happened. In strikers charged, the button you used to do lob shots and lob passes could also be used to chip the ball. And you could charge it.

Rosalina might have done that as the ball rolled a short distance away...but it wasn't far enough to just somehow be a bad pass.

I'm not sure, but chipping the ball may still be a thing in this game.

...I did not mean to make another post...

• 2 months later...

Japanese overview trailer for Mario Strikers Battle League.

Seems like I was right about the tackling thing, what was an obscure mechanic in the Wii game is now a dedicated and more notable feature here.

Seriously, where the heck is Daisy??

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm more of a Peach and Rosalina fan but it must be disappointing for her fans since Daisy was one of the top players (I think) in previous episodes.

This game looks so good, 10 characters is so slim, I don't understand the choice but they do have a focus on customization, plus you can pick the same character in a match.

It has solid mechanics and online. But am I interested in football? This is the question on whether I will pick this up or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

On one hand, the original game only had nine. While the Wii game had 12.

On the other hand...damn Daisy got fucked...

20 hours ago, Kuzu said:

The first two games had those characters as captain and a whole load of side characters to make up the rest of your team. Battle League does away with the side characters as team mates so there's significantly less variety. And whilst everyone is cut up over the absence of Daisy, I'm here lamenting the loss of more interesting and fun characters like Diddy and Petey. Boring-ass Toad used to be a generic side character, but now is a captain in their own right.

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo will have approached this game like their other recent Mario Sports titles, and even other games like Splatoon. That being that they'll release a feature-incomplete game with half of the content hidden behind free updates so that they can encourage long-term engagement. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

On the other hand...damn Daisy got fucked...

I don't think it changed much to be honest, it's still a low number for a game that has 8 players competing.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, somehow, the intro leaked online

Spoiler

It....sure is an intro alright. I'll give it that.

Looks like the decision to cut sidekicks was limiting from more than just a gameplay point.

Why are Rosalina and Yoshi on Team Bowser? I can buy DK, he might still hate Mario for locking up his dad.

Nintendo of France uploaded a full match of Strikers Gameplay:

Well, some people thought scoring animations were gone...so there's that.

In addition to that the animation for winning a game is now its own unique animation, instead of one of the scoring animations.

Gameplay wise: The Strike Orb is a limited use item, while it does last between goals, if you don't use it...it will eventually go away.

It appears that perfect passes now happen from anywhere on the field (on the side you can score obviously) and perfect shots are apparently a thing now to...I guess because the slow-mo effect even happened from just doing a charged shot.

The Goalie still gets dizzy from a good shot to his head.

Taking a cue from charge, Hyper Strikes are not automatic goals, you can defend against them.

Boom Boom will block any imperfect Hyper Strike as the player will be prompted to button mash, chances are that the better a player times the meter will determine how much you will have to mash for Boom Boom to block the shot.

-----

Gameplay's pretty slow, but that's unfortunately the norm for showcases like this.

-----

Edit: On 2 details I've missed

One, there are color coordinated item boxes for each team...and the way they've implemented getting items is in theory similar to the other 2 games. You will get an item for being tackled without the ball, this is what causes the crowd to thrown an item box that matches your team color.

How ever regular item boxes will be thrown on the field randomly and it doesn't seem like you get an item simply for doing charged shots.

Two, when Bowser made an attempt to tackle Peach in this video, he ended up getting electrocuted by the fence after she deke'd out of the way. This is interesting because in the original game you couldn't do this at all and in Charged the only characters who could get electrocuted by the fence without being tackled are Waluigi, Daisy, and Dry Bones.

All 3 of those character's teleport dodge could send them into the fence if they teleported the wrong way, Waluigi's character item also allowed him to do this..a penalty of not being able to control the speed boost from it.

Strikers Charged actually had an unlockable option that "Boosted the voltage of the fences" basically meaning that they would electrocute you on touch without even being knocked into them.

In Battle League, if dodging a tackle causes them to run into the fence or even just tackling in general makes you hit the fence, that would add a bit more risk since this game has tackles & slides that you can charge. Charged tackles and slides may go farther but you may want to be more careful doing this near a fence.

Is there anything to do in single player? I watched the overview trailer but I don't think it mentions other modes.

44 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Is there anything to do in single player? I watched the overview trailer but I don't think it mentions other modes.

There'll be a Cup mode obviously, because what else would you get coins from that isn't the regular Vs. mode or Online matches.

Ya know, it's what you'd expect...