Awoo.

New Sonic Movie 2 Super Bowl TV Spot Goes Live [Huge Sonic 2/3 References Inside]

Red Hot Jack

A new tv spot is going to be released soon and it's up on Youtube although not listed yet. But you can watch it, it has several spoilers and badass shots. Spoilered in case

Spoiler

Man I love Sonic vs Knuckles and the you-know-what fight in the sky.

• Thumbs Up 5

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah it was probably going to release today (Friday) anyway. It's for the Super Bowl but Paramount already released their Game Day spot for their other movie and other studios also release trailers before the game. For Sonic Movie 1, the Super Bowl spot came out the Friday before the game. 

Edit: Also very nice spot! I can't wait to see what discussion arises from this! A lot more Knuckles footage and major spoilers. I wish there was a bit more of Tails footage available though. 

• The title was changed to New Sonic Movie 2 Super Bowl TV Spot Leaked? [Potential Spoilers]

This has been made public now, so no point keeping spoilers in here (unless people don't really want to know what's going on in the trailer). Let 'er rip!

I have to say, everything about this movie is making me feel super excited! The clash between Sonic and Knuckles against the backdrop of the Master Emerald chamber, the hugggge 

Spoiler

Death Egg Robot

and the snowboarding sections lifted from Sonic 3 (technically I know the Sonic Movie social media account already posted a clip of that scene but I missed it). Man, I'm getting pumped!

• Thumbs Up 4

• The title was changed to New Sonic Movie 2 Super Bowl TV Spot Goes Live [Huge Sonic 2/3 References Inside]

I'm favor of just putting up a spoiler tag and letting discussion go freely without having to tread carefully. But for now:

Spoiler

Not on board with Knuckles' voice just yet, it'll  grow on me but I would hate if other media like games or movies went in this direction. Maybe that's just because I'm such a fan of his Adventure-era voice.

Unless the snow fight is part of the initial meeting or the Master Emerald fight, it looks like we'll be getting 3 major Sonic vs Knuckles moments in the movie.

The Death Egg Robot. All I can really say is wow. It looks amazing and is definitely a lot bigger and more menacing than I anticipated. This might be a Super Sonic-level threat.

I still won't rule out the strong possibility of Metal/Mecha Sonic. Both Sonic 2 and Sonic3 & Knuckles had robot Sonic fights leading up to giant Eggman robots, and we still haven't seen what the quill is for, assuming they didn't drop that plot thread. Plus, Knuckles would probably be doing something during those Tornado scenes, right? That could be holding off Metal Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Man!  That fight between Sonic and Knuckles and the Death Egg Robot looked so epic!

Now I'm really excited for this movie!

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy…this commercial only accentuated the hype for the film.

Spoiler

And not just from Knux, either. Damn, the Death Egg looks tremendous.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the sight of it was flipping amazing, to me the Death Egg Robot feels a bit out of place compared to Jim Eggman's established ipod-looking tech. Its almost TOO game accurate for live action.

8 hours ago, Austroid said:

While the sight of it was flipping amazing, to me the Death Egg Robot feels a bit out of place compared to Jim Eggman's established ipod-looking tech. Its almost TOO game accurate for live action.

Probably because it's created by the emerald after he's gone insane rather than being military-approved. 

Also, should this conversation be merged with the main thread?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Austroid said:

I think it works with the sliding scale of Robotnik's sanity. Going from the fairly down to earth Egg shaped drones, to more outlandish insect ones, to a giant tribute to his ego is good progress. 

• Thumbs Up 3

And lets face it, he barely had any sanity and was already super egotistical when first saw him on the baseball field. "Psychological tire fire", remember?

• Thumbs Up 2

And its not like game Eggman was ever, "all there." So it matches both to just go unhinged once he has the actual resources to do it. 

"Eggman's got some serious problems, just take a look at that statue." -Sonic Heroes

• Thumbs Up 2

Echoing the hype for this movie - it really feels more like a true Sonic movie compared to the first. 

I won't be disappointed if there is no Metal Sonic in this one, although I thought the shot of Robotnik at the end of the first movie with him holding one of Sonic's quills hinted that he was going to use that to create a Metal Sonic for this one, so we'll see. If not, I'd love a post-credits ending scene of seeing Metal Sonic's red glowing eyes to hint that, if there is a third movie, it would be included.  

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Also, should this conversation be merged with the main thread?

Please no merging, some of us have been avoiding the main thread for months in fear of major spoilers and are only going by what’s officially shown off in trailers, so threads like these which discuss the trailers are an absolute joy to read :)

And this trailer was utterly delicious! My only concern is there seems to be way more Knuckles footage coming out than Tails, and that does make me worry a bit that they’re going to be glossing over Tails a bit. He’s had the short end of the stick in the games for so long it would be a shame if the movie also gave him the short end. I can’t wait for April 8 to find out the full story. Though since the movie’s first premiere is March 31 in some areas I might have to do a week’s internet blackout to avoid being fully spoiled lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually pretty excited for this right now. I wish the inevitable third film push Tom and co. more and more to the sidelines and focus on Team Sonic and Eggman. And of course, they better fucking bring Metal Sonic next.

4 hours ago, caitash said:

And this trailer was utterly delicious! My only concern is there seems to be way more Knuckles footage coming out than Tails, and that does make me worry a bit that they’re going to be glossing over Tails a bit. He’s had the short end of the stick in the games for so long it would be a shame if the movie also gave him the short end. 

Same, the only feedback I have about the recent spots being released. I am so glad Knuckles is getting his chance to shine again. But the last decade of games hasn't been kind to Tails either. He appears (which is more than Knuckles gets) but has been portrayed badly that it has harmed his reputation and he is viewed as a wimp.

Based on what we are seeing, I have full confidence in Knuckles in being portrayed well! I just hope in whatever final trailer/spot we get one more bit of footage to show some action with Tails outside of the plane. But I have confidence in the team for the final product. 

Going to copy here for visibility or those not in the main thread:

There is a new (what I presume to be) TV spot related to the Super Bowl.

There is also a sweepstakes going on with the coin toss. The official movie discord is telling people to make sure to see the coin toss. I am not sure if something special will be happening then but they seem adamant on actually watching the coin toss live like there will be something cool to see.

On 2/13/2022 at 7:10 AM, Jango said:

I'm actually pretty excited for this right now. I wish the inevitable third film push Tom and co. more and more to the sidelines and focus on Team Sonic and Eggman. And of course, they better fucking bring Metal Sonic next.

If Metal Sonic doesn't appear in this movie as a surprise reveal, he's not coming. Giving Metal Sonic a dedicated movie is redundant when Shadow can fill the same role but is more marketable.