Awoo.

writers dont need to invent excuses for sonic, knuckles and shadow to fight each other

TailsGotTrolled

Because they already have conflicting values

Sonic believes in giving everyone a second chance even if he has to fight them all over again

Shadow believes in protecting the innocent at all costs

Knuckles sees the good in everyone but prioritizes protecting the master emerald.  As long as he can keep anyone from misusing it the world is safe and everything else will sort itself out.

No need to trick or brainwash any of these characters into fighting for the 1284th time.

• Thumbs Up 1

What you're saying is that Flynn already created Sonic Vs Shadow and Sonic Vs Knuckles scenarios based on that logic.

Only problem is that Knuckles protecting ME is very hard to include in narrative. Knuckles would fight Sonic to protect ME, but it's hard to justify Sonic wanting ME in a first place. Even with Shadow vs Knuckles it was a special situation.

Sonic Vs Shadow is easier but in they end they are friends or at least allies. They can't disagree and fight stuff every time they meet.

I think the problem is that Sonic isn't actually Shonen protagonist. He likes fighting as a fun activity, but doesn't want to see if he's the strongest. Knuckles and Shadow are his rivals only from meta perspective, in universe neither of them tries to beat each other.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

They can't disagree and fight stuff every time they meet.

It would be boring if they did every time.  You’re also right that I can’t think of many reasons for sonic to fight knuckles over the master emerald but even that would be better than “lol knuckles got tricked again”  But either way the video games and some other media seem to like putting them against each other over and over

2 hours ago, TailsGotTrolled said:

It would be boring if they did every time.  You’re also right that I can’t think of many reasons for sonic to fight knuckles over the master emerald but even that would be better than “lol knuckles got tricked again”  But either way the video games and some other media seem to like putting them against each other over and over

Then maybe stop doing that???

There's a balance to these things you know. My attitude is generally, if they do not have a legitimate reason to conflict, then don't do it. 

I mean for fuck's sake, all of these Shonen comparisons and all, but when was the last time Goku and Vegeta had a serious fight against each other? They've been allies longer than they've been enemies.

I can't really be too mad because this series is targeted towards children who are obsessed with strength and who's the better character and all, but there are ways you can do this without plot contrivance forcing a conflict.

Knuckles literally has no reason to fight or oppose Sonic at all at this point. Sonic saved Knuckles' ass so many times now that some big rivalry just doesn't make any sense now. They've been allies and friends for the longest. The movie is the outlier in this scenario and even then, it's mainly adapting his initial introduction as an antagonist to the series and I can guarantee that he'll settle into a similar position as his main counterpart once he's beaten and they move on to a new villain for the third movie.

There's a bit more ambiguity with Shadow on where he stands with Sonic, but generally speaking they have a mutual respect for each other and tend to stay out of the other's way unless needed. Whether it's as allies or as adversaries, it's a bit more flexible than with Knuckles, but even then there are very few moments when they have a genuine conflict as opposed to simply being in each other's way occasionally.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's a really easy to have characters fight without having to invent some moral conflict between them that may or may not make sense anymore in the story.

Just have them fight in a competition. They're fighting for fun, glory, and bragging rights rather than the fate of the world/peoples' lives/Emeralds/whatever. It lets these egotistical heroes duke it out with each other to prove they're the best, even if ideologically they're more or less united against Eggman and the various villains of the series.

The problem is the old tricking Knuckles thing is long stale. They need to get more creative and think deeper on the storyline. It never hurts to throw a little drama in. Why not a mutual enemy that seeks the master emerald, but to use it to wipe out Egg dude and be an even worse tyrant. So Egg person builds robots to help protect the master emerald and the alliance holds strong. But the hitch is that the pollution from the now necessary robots is tainting Sonics home and his mistrust leads him into conflict against Eggmon and Knuckles.

Why wouldn't Sonic work with Knuckles and Eggman though? Eggman is playing the subtle game. He orders a covert attack on Sonic and friends, captures one and they keep the prisoner far away from Knuckles. The newcomer enemy could approach Sonic for help to get rid of Eggbean for the "good" of Mobius. Then it just looks like old Sonic is just bearing an understandable grudge against Eggmang and is simply just destroying the robots for the sake of it and mistrust. Knuckles then has very good reason to fight him if he is now the thing standing between his home, the future of the planet and the safety of his precious.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with then fighting., after all, they are Sonic's rivals and that is part of their personalities, Knuckles have a short temper and easely got in fights, Shadow do what he needs to do to prove that he is the ultimate life form and Sonic loves to fight.

If Knuckles being tricked give me a cool fight, I'm fine. It's the shonen way.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm just old, but I think maybe they just don't need to fight each other ^_^;
We can just have new scenarios!