Awoo.

SSF1991

Yes, you read that right. Sonic Movie 2 hasn't even been released yet, and they have already announced a sequel! And in 2023, there is going to be a live-action spinoff series with Knuckles!

It is worth noting that we know very little about Sonic Movie 3. Our only information is a logo, along with the official confirmation that the film is "in development". It will likely be a year, if not a little more than that, before we begin to see the release of trailers.

If you recall, Sonic Movie 2 had been confirmed within a month after Sonic Movie 1's release. Nevertheless, it isn't often to get confirmation of a movie sequel before its predecessor is even released. And this is for a third Sonic the Hedgehog film as well, something I think few fans even imagined would happen just a few years ago.

But, believe it or not, we are getting more than just a third Sonic the Hedgehog film. There's going to be an original live-action spinoff series featuring Knuckles the Echidna!

As with Sonic Movie 3, there aren't a lot of details here. It will be coming to Paramount+ in 2023, and Idris Elba will return to voice the character, but that is pretty much all that was revealed.

Needless to say, the Sonic Movie Extended Universe (hey, that's what the official Sonic Movie Twitter suggested) is very much alive and well. And that doesn't even count the Sonic Prime series coming to Netflix sometime this year, and the releases of Sonic Frontiers and Sonic Origins. I think it is safe to say that Sonic fans have a lot to look forward to.

Via Twitter

Sonic News Tips Credit:
phobs
Original Post Content:

View full story

• Thumbs Up 5

Official statement from SEGA

It seems like both Geoff and Sonic twitter are confirming that Idris Elba is going to voice Knuckles in the show

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, phobs said:

It seems like both Geoff and Sonic twitter are confirming that Idris Elba is going to voice Knuckles in the show

Paramount themselves confirm that Elba will be playing Knuckles in their tweet. 

I don't know how to feel about this. Knuckles has always been my favourite character (mostly for nostalgia the nostalgia now) and its weird to see him suddenly so relevant again. I'm interested, but I don't really know why. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Paramount themselves confirm that Elba will be playing Knuckles in their tweet. 

I didn't see it at first, I'm very sorry

The logo for the movie. Is red for Shadow or Metal?

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, phobs said:

Official statement from SEGA

I like how they had cram a blurb about Frontiers into that. Those coat-tails should come pre-installed with seatbelts.

I feel like the Knuckles TV series is something we all kind of knew was coming. Back when his VA was first announced a lot of us were saying that there is no reason to cast a guy like that into this role unless you had serious intent to expand his role to a massive degree. A TV show where he is the focus can do just that.

Just now, Kuzu said:

Talking about the Sonic 3 postet.

I understand, but what I meant by referencing Sonic 2 is that there is a pattern and it is quite likely that 3rd movie's logo is referencing a character as well?

4 minutes ago, phobs said:

I understand, but what I meant by referencing Sonic 2 is that there is a pattern and it is quite likely that 3rd movie's logo is referencing a character as well?

Yea and I'm saying, does it imply Metal Sonic or Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Michael K

Can’t wait for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 movie and a Knuckles live-action spinoff series with Idris Elba reprising his role as Knuckles as well as Sonic Prime, Sonic Frontiers and Sonic Origins (which includes Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD) of course because of Project Sonic 22.

Looks like 2022 is gonna be a busy year for Sonic the Hedgehog because of Project Sonic 22.

16 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Yea and I'm saying, does it imply Metal Sonic or Shadow.

Zavok

Anyway the news kinda just...makes me feel tired. The first movie was only just passable for a kid's movie, I'm willing to give the sequel a chance eventually since they are leaning more into actual Sonic-y stuff, but...the idea of a third movie and a tv series hanging over my head just does not excite me. Too much of something that wasn't all that interesting to start with. Ultimately I can just not watch any of it of course, but it's going to feel like a pile of unfolded laundry.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Posted By: DK Fan

If the Chaotix aren’t in the Knuckles series, I’m gonna be just a little disappointed. Now what other game characters could they add in the third movie?

Amazing news. I was just speculating a spin-off. But I thought it was gonna be either a Tails and Maddie sidekicks TV show, a Sonic & Tails on adventures TV show, or a Robotnik movie. I honestly didn't expect a Knuckles show but I suppose it's neat, I wonder what it might actually be about. Sonic eill definitely be in the series as well. Third Movie has got to be about Shadow too. If they get to do Chaos, Tikal, maybe the Chaotix and Rouge in the series it would be really nice.

I really liked the first movie and the second one seems to be doing everything it did except better, so I'm pretty excited for the news about more coming. From a franchise stand point, it's also really cool that we're getting something equivalent to how AOSTH and SatAM were developed simultaneously again between this Knuckles series and Prime. Not sure if this will be enough for me to pay for Paramount Plus, but at the very least Paramount is a lot more consistent about home video releases of their shows in comparison to Netflix so that might not be an issue if I'm willing to wait long enough.

But regardless, excited about the news and curious to see what they're thinking about cooking up for both. Now just give me a 2-D animated direct to video.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Movie 3 was already a certainty thanks to the success of the first movie, let alone the hype of the second movie being generated by Knuckles and Tails. I'm all for it. They gotta include Metal & Shadow in Movie 3!

As for a live-action Knuckles series. Erm...okay. Guess it could be a prequel to Movie 2 showing Knuckles backstory. Well, regardless it's good to see knuckles more relevant again and due to his popularity they better now remaster Knuckles Chaotix or I'm gonna rage ;)

Not surprised that they’re continuing with a third movie… a little surprised they announced it this soon before the second film’s even come out though! And a Knuckles spinoff? Sign me up!!

71FE7247-EC88-4341-9C11-6AC33DA1A6F2.png

Here’s the logo uploaded to the forum instead of relying on a tweet for it. If it’s referencing any particular character, maybe it’s Metal with the red 3 mimicking the colour of its eye/s?

It’s absolutely crazy to think that the movies are generating an infinite amount more hype than the actual video games do these days. If you’d have told me that was going to happen a few years ago I’d have called you absolutely mad. But now, it feels like Sonic is a movie star first and a video game character second these days.

(and I’m okay with that)

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, phobs said:

Mighty? Just kidding...

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as we like to delve into Metal and Shadow, wouldn't Occam Razor imply the red three is for Knux?

(its not like tails is playing a prominent role in 2, so you could still throw Shadow in 3 if you wanted too and the logic still fits)

They must be confident announcing a third movie and a TV show before the sequel's out. That's probably partly due to how lucrative the Sonic brand is in general, but man, none of this would be happening if not for that redesign.  Where was all this new content when I was a kid? Eh, better late than never.

• Thumbs Up 3

Posted By: Live-Action Name

They better have some really promising content planned for the spin-off series, if it’s gonna be solely focused on Knuckles (Especially if this could be possibly the best incarnation of the character to date). Perhaps try implement exclusive characters that most likely aren’t gonna appear in live-action films like Chaotix, Mighty or Fang?