Awoo.

Sonic Movie 3 is in development and TV show about Knuckles is announced

phobs

I wonder what will happen in Prime. Not into the point about story or anything, but having two different stories running at the same time, but especially, one running on Netflix and another on Paramount+.

And yeah, I do feel Paramount+ is slowly becoming one of my favorite streaming services, probably only behind Disney+ after this news.

Like some already said, I do think that's a lot of weight for only a single movie which came out and which wasn't even perfectly received. Of course, I'd never want this, but I wonder if they have a back-up plan if Sonic 2 somehow fails.

And since I don't think there's much to discuss, I just can't stop to wonder if and what they might expand next if all content becomes successful.

I guess that's it. My bet for Sonic 3 logo was initially Knuckles, but since he's already a major plot in 2, I don't see why they would make this, my second bet is Metal Sonic then, a third although unlike bet, would be Shadow, but I don't think we will have any adventure/modern character in this first trilogy (Pure speculation, no theory).

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see this series' main plot being the Master Emerald getting shattered, and Knuckles having to find all the pieces.

Yeah, pretty much an adaptation of his Adventure stories. Maybe a bit of his Archie post-reboot arc.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have to wonder what motivated them to do the Knuckles spin-off, if it was fan-reaction to his reveal in December (which seems pretty early) or if Idris Elba's star power is part of it. 

Still haven't watched the first Sonic movie but it's nice to see all this hype around the franchise again. 

2 minutes ago, Solly said:

I have to wonder what motivated them to do the Knuckles spin-off, if it was fan-reaction to his reveal in December (which seems pretty early) or if Idris Elba's star power is part of it. 

Still haven't watched the first Sonic movie but it's nice to see all this hype around the franchise again. 

The rumor about the live action film actually predates the trailer (the article is like 3 or 4 months old). So before the hype when everyone saw Knuckles' model and had any idea of how he was going to be portrayed with the release of the trailer in Dec. So I am guessing the project was drafted even before fans knew about Knuckles even appearing. 

I am also guessing it more had to do with Idris Elba's star power plus just general stuff they had going on behind the scenes in figuring out how to tell more stories.

• Thumbs Up 3

The biggest reason might simply be Paramount+ itself. After rebranding it from CBS All Access, and it still needing to be launched in other countries like the UK this Summer, Paramount+ wants as much programming as possible so it can compete with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc. Could be as simple as the people at Paramount+ looking at every franchise they own, seeing the Sonic movies, and then figuring out what they can spin-off from it. And really I think the only things you could do would be giving Tails or Knuckles their own shows.

7 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

The biggest reason might simply be Paramount+ itself. After rebranding it from CBS All Access, and it still needing to be launched in other countries like the UK this Summer, Paramount+ wants as much programming as possible so it can compete with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc. Could be as simple as the people at Paramount+ looking at every franchise they own, seeing the Sonic movies, and then figuring out what they can spin-off from it. And really I think the only things you could do would be giving Tails or Knuckles their own shows.

I figured that Paramount would want a Knuckles series for their streaming services since Disney + is already making headway with their streaming platform by having the Marvel shows air on Disney + . Maybe this announcement is a way for Paramount to compete with Disney in terms of streaming services by offering an original TV series that's based off their movies. Let's hope that the sequel proves to be successful so that all of this can happen!

I wonder where this show will end up in the countries that don't have Paramount, like pretty much every country outside the USA.

NZ for example isn't getting Paramount due to SKY TV making a deal for their content, and I am not paying the combined cost of Amazon, Netflix and Disney Plus just to watch Knuckles on SKY TV. They charge the earth for a subscription and have nothing to show for it now the big three have taken back all their shows and movies.

I’m really interested in this Knuckles series. Especially since the echidna tribe is still alive from what we last saw in the previous film.

This is all so surreal! A threequel AND a Knuckles TV show in the works!? (Not sure if its telling that everything BUT the games are worth getting excited for at this point...)

I'm guessing that Sonic movie 3 logo is a placeholder, but I drew up an idea for it way back when 2's logo got revealed:

6543643.PNG.3856fa4649da9e7020865ca90557918c.PNG

• Nice Smile 1

I mean there is a lot of untapped Sonic material that they can use. Like, so much Sonic can have 5 films and some spin-offs.

Sonic 2 would not cover Knuckles' backstory to the fullest I guess, that's why the spinoff is being made.

It's no wonder Paramount are looking so confident about the future of the film series. As long they continue to have good writing and proper direction, this could be Paramount's answer to Marvel's Cinematic Universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to think Sonic 3 will feature Metal Sonic but there's no way Metal Sonic has the broad appeal that Shadow has. Outside of our little corners of the internet, I don't think there's a ton of people who will line up just to see Metal Sonic. I do think there's a lot of people who will show up for Shadow. It makes the most sense.

Very curious to see how they adapt the Shadow-lore. Will he get a radically different origin story as the creation of Jim Carrey's Dr. Robotnik (or something even further removed from the games) or will he still be the creation of Eggman's grandfather? Do we get the Space Colony Ark story? I'm not sure how willing they'll be to basically do an SA2 adaptation but I'm here for it if that's the route!

On 2/15/2022 at 6:36 PM, Silvereyes said:

See, I think the biggest reason this could be exciting is this could be fantastic for Sonic's secondary characters. Let's be honest, there is a lot of Sonic characters that probably wouldn't be a big draw for a movie. Maybe they could be in a movie as a supporting character, but they'd never be big chosen to be the big guest character. I feel like this could be great for characters that have some ties to Knuckles, like the Chaotix, Rouge, and Tikal.

Could also mean Knuckles doesn't have to be in Sonic 3. He gets his own TV show and does his own thing there, while Sonic 3 could be Sonic and Tails, with newcomers Shadow and Amy for example. Sidesteps the problem of Sonic's size of cast.

That Sonic has so many iconic characters is definitely a plus for a movie when ensemble films with large casts are sweeping box offices everywhere. There is no good reason not to include literally every single Sonic character ever made in a brief Avengers: Endgame type sequence.

Except the Penders lawsuit.

This baffles me more than excites me. If these were left at least two or three years in production I'd feel more confident in hoping for quality and creative output. But in that short timeframe? I bet the upcoming media will be generic at best.

11 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

This baffles me more than excites me. If these were left at least two or three years in production I'd feel more confident in hoping for quality and creative output. But in that short timeframe? I bet the upcoming media will be generic at best.

To be fair, people behind the movies, even before the first teaser for the second movie was released, were saying that they are working on stuff related to potential third movie. It wasn't clear at the time, whether it is going to be green lit by Paramount, so movie staff clearly has some sort of plan. It is absolutely normal for big franchises such as MCU to not have very huge gaps between the movies and even the upcoming Spider Verse continuation is going to have one part shortly followed by another.

Honestly, I think it is really good thing that they are thinking in terms of potential big franchise and it is pretty exciting.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, KnuxDLX said:

That Sonic has so many iconic characters is definitely a plus for a movie when ensemble films with large casts are sweeping box offices everywhere. There is no good reason not to include literally every single Sonic character ever made in a brief Avengers: Endgame type sequence.

Except the Penders lawsuit.

I'll be honest, the idea of the Sonic version of Avengers: Endgame is very captivating to me. But I also think the Sonic movies, being PG and far more kid oriented, have far bigger limitations. Mainly, I doubt they'd ever let a Sonic movie go over 2 hours in length. (The first movie is 99 minutes, we don't how long the second movie is.) What I'm saying is, assuming the plan is to just keep making Sonic movies until they become unprofitable, it makes sense for a character like Knuckles or others in the future to do a movie, then bow out and appear in their own show or as part of one. Sonic Movie 3 will probably introduce at least 2 more Sonic characters, since Sonic Movie 2 introduced Tails and Knuckles. Tails will stick with Sonic but Knuckles? Will Sonic Movie 3 have stuff for him to do? And what about Sonic Movie 4, when you have already 5 established characters and introducing more on top of that? I think Sonic and Tails will stay on as the main duo in the movies, whilst Knuckles and I'm guessing the likes of Shadow can get further adventures on TV, without them having to justify screentime in future movies.

Really though, I suppose it depends what the Knuckles TV show does I imagine. I assume it will be set in a live action world, but I would have to imagine some other Sonic cast will be in it to make things good for marketing. Can't imagine it just being Knuckles and live action humans for a whole season.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the first movie, but I think it's a little generic. The trailer for the sequel looks amazing, and I'm excited. I'm all for a Sonic Cinematic Universe. I hope they adapt more of the source material

In a way I feel like part of what the shows like Knuckles is doing is trying to make it clearer there is some attempt at world-building and planning to larger plots.

If you just spam sequels then people have a tendency to see it as a studio milking a franchise like TMNT or Alvin and the Chipmunks where sequels are perceived to be cash cow, low budget films compared to Marvel films that do the same thing but are perceived as having more thought put into them. I think having the tv shows are one step being taken in investing in a fandom that will come back to see sequels like Spider-man so it's not seen as "kid movie with endless sequels"

18 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

I'll be honest, the idea of the Sonic version of Avengers: Endgame is very captivating to me. But I also think the Sonic movies, being PG and far more kid oriented, have far bigger limitations. Mainly, I doubt they'd ever let a Sonic movie go over 2 hours in length. (The first movie is 99 minutes, we don't how long the second movie is.)

I see the point you are making but I will just comment the first Sonic movie with the same writers was going to PG-13. They changed it on their own accord because it they felt like it went better thematically (rather than studio pressure to make a family film).

So I guess I am saying it isn't crazy if the writers want to take a darker attempt at story telling such as with the TV show or if Shadow is featured in a movie (with his backstory behind inherently). Sort of like Harry Potter.  Similarly if they are being challenged by Paramount to make a cinematic universe then at that point they may be pushed to tell larger stories worthy of a cinematic universe. 

2 hours ago, light-gaia said:

I like the first movie, but I think it's a little generic. The trailer for the sequel looks amazing, and I'm excited. I'm all for a Sonic Cinematic Universe. I hope they adapt more of the source material

That's how I feel in a nutshell, it's a movie where if you replaced Sonic with another IP's character, made Eggman any other villian and swapped out the rings for another maguffin it could have been any IP's movie. With the exception of the opening sequence it could have been any generic insert character here from popular IP and make them a fish out of water in the real world Hollywood tripe. 

What we have seen for the second movie has me far more interested, it has more source material in the trailer alone. I never felt any attachment to the "parent" characters or the other people in the movie bar Eggman, so seeing far less of them in the trailer and marketing also has me more optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Tenko said:

That's how I feel in a nutshell, it's a movie where if you replaced Sonic with another IP's character, made Eggman any other villian and swapped out the rings for another maguffin it could have been any IP's movie. With the exception of the opening sequence it could have been any generic insert character here from popular IP and make them a fish out of water in the real world Hollywood tripe. 

What we have seen for the second movie has me far more interested, it has more source material in the trailer alone. I never felt any attachment to the "parent" characters or the other people in the movie bar Eggman, so seeing far less of them in the trailer and marketing also has me more optimistic.

They had a lot of limitations while filming the first move because no one knew if it was going to succeed or not. Video game movie adaptations have an awful track record, and Sonic wasn't in a good place at that moment in terms of popularity.

They made the best movie they could with those limitations. I think they did a pretty good job considering all of that. Now that the first movie was a hit, they put more money in sequels and made more "sonic-y" stories.

I'll always be grateful for this movie because it changed the fate of the series forever. We are only getting all of this Sonic-related content because of how well the first movie performed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nobukitsu88 said:
3 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

I see the point you are making but I will just comment the first Sonic movie with the same writers was going to PG-13. They changed it on their own accord because it they felt like it went better thematically (rather than studio pressure to make a family film).

So I guess I am saying it isn't crazy if the writers want to take a darker attempt at story telling such as with the TV show or if Shadow is featured in a movie (with his backstory behind inherently). Sort of like Harry Potter. 

That is interesting. Although we do live in a world where James Gunn's Scooby Doo movie was originally meant to be R rated, and that was changed for obvious reasons. Personally, I'm not sure, it's difficult to tell. I just don't think Sonic can really move into darker PG-13 territory like Harry Potter did. Partly even because really PG films like the first 3 Harry Potters don't really exist anymore, it seems like PG-13 has become the rating for "family" nights out with older kids, while PG has become the territory of taking the younger kids out. I don't think we'll get a PG-13 Sonic movie.

However, I think TV might be alot more likely. With streaming services there is no 9pm watershed for them, everything is always available, and it seems like there is a bit less focus on censorship. Might be possible for Sonic on TV to be a bit more mature there than it is for a theatrical release.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Spooky Mulder said:

I'd love to think Sonic 3 will feature Metal Sonic but there's no way Metal Sonic has the broad appeal that Shadow has. Outside of our little corners of the internet, I don't think there's a ton of people who will line up just to see Metal Sonic. I do think there's a lot of people who will show up for Shadow. It makes the most sense.

Very curious to see how they adapt the Shadow-lore. Will he get a radically different origin story as the creation of Jim Carrey's Dr. Robotnik (or something even further removed from the games) or will he still be the creation of Eggman's grandfather? Do we get the Space Colony Ark story? I'm not sure how willing they'll be to basically do an SA2 adaptation but I'm here for it if that's the route!

Well, let's hope Fowler shows restraint, and sticks to his guns. Metal Sonic makes wayyy more sense, on a thematical level for Robotnik. It's the crescendo to his obsession with Sonic-- to literally create his OWN Sonic. 

Plus, I want this trilogy to be firmly focused on the Genesis era, and I want Sonic 3 to spend more time on Sonic's world. 

• Thumbs Up 3