Awoo.

What do you wish to see on Sonic Cinematic Universe (On a Long Term)

Solister

Meh... I'm uninspired to come with a good title, accepting suggestions...

With the Sonic 3 Movie announced and the unexpected Knuckles series announced, it does seem that SEGA/Sonic Team is investing heavily on video media for their fans. I wouldn't call the Sonic Movie one of the best box office of all time, but it sure does look like they are with eyes wide open for this new market.

And while it does seem both titles are in very early production, it's a bit safe to say we probably won't receive any other announcement soon, but I guess a bit of daydream won't hurt anyone.

Just in case, these are the major announced projects so far:

• Sonic Movie 2 (April 2022)
  • Sonic Prime (2022)
  • Sonic Frontiers (2022)
  • Sonic Movie 3 (TBD)
  • Knuckles Series (TBD)

It's safe to say that Sonic Movie 2 and 3 will be decisive on which extent this may go. It's wide known that Knuckles will take a major role in Movie 2, and they might tease what the series will be about on the movie. Regardless, I doubt the Knuckles series can be much different from Solo and Book of Boba Fett from Star Wars.

I do think that a Chaotix series a-la Mandalorian could work better than expected, possibly even be one of the themes of Knuckles series, although at this point, I think they would try to distance Knuckles' involvement from the Chaotix the most to don't cause confusion.

I also really expected something would come from that Baby Sonic scene on the first movie, but I guess it lead to nothing.

So far, we only have to wonder if Amy, Metal Sonic and Shadow will be featured (probably not) in movie 2, but maybe movie 3. Regardless, I think these were some characters which I think have space for more character development. I do bet one of these three will make a last minute appearance as Tails did in Movie 1, and from the trio, Shadow would be the most likely to receive its own series.

Then, I guess it gets a bit of shot in the dark for very specific fan bases. I can't see a Rouge, Cream, Big, Sticks or even Sally show happening, despite Rouge would make a great secondary character for a Shadow show (a-la Fennec Shand on Book of Boba Fett).

Another heavy fan request I think I could see happening, possibly in 5-10 years, would be a show focused on Silver and Blaze, and the events from Rush and 06 better told.

And well, enough of Sonic daydream, I do think a few SEGA series can have more potential over obscure Sonic ones. On top of my mind, Phantasy Star is easily the biggest contender. Jet Set Radio has some potential if worked well, but could easily fail for being too cheesy or cringe. A cross-over series like SEGA is used to make is video games is also very plausible.

Well, I think that's it. To be fair, I doubt 30% of everything I just said will concretize, but I got very hyped with the new announcements, maybe even more than I should. And sorry if this is a completely stupid topic, I'm going to blame I'm sleepy.

• Thumbs Up 3

There are indeed lots of possibilities. But I also am not sure how many shows and films you'd really want running concurrently at once. Marvel has been criticised for sticking to a certain formula for their movies, but arguably one thing they seem to know to do right is give different kind of flavours to their movies so they don't feel the same. Guardians of the Galaxy is sci-fi/Star Wars flavour, the latter Captain America films were more political thriller, Captain Marvel went for buddy cop '90s movie etc. I guess I wonder if Sonic has that kind of capacity, especially when sticking to strictly PG rating which means the tone can never really change I imagine.

Really though, I think my biggest curiosity would be where Sonic goes after the third movie. For one thing, we don't know if Jim Carrey is even doing the third movie, and if he is, I really doubt he'd stick on past that in any capacity. If the "SCU" does become a thing, it has to figure out how to move forward without Robotnik, and it doesn't help when there are arguably not many other villians to choose from. It says a lot when the IDW book has been spending all its run time so far slowly setting up more adversaries for Sonic and co to fight to avoid the problem of just using Robotnik all the time.

I think it is also worth looking at how Marvel and DC are using TV to launch a lot of their B and C tier heroes. A Knuckles TV show would be a good place to introduce people like the Chaotix I think. And honestly, I think Rouge could be introduced in it honestly, I think all she needs is a good redesign and good writing and she'd be fine.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

If they're going to keep making these, I'd like them to make things that are clearly and unambiguously not adaptations of specific games. Not that I think they are making direct adaptations now, but that's where discussion always seems to go, and I'd rather see them try weird new ideas in this weird new universe rather than try to retell existing stories and probably do it worse. It's a balancing act of course, I don't want them to abandon the "feel" of Sonic (to what extent they've got it), but I don't need them to try to retell Chaos' story or to try to fit all the ARK business into this universe when/if they introduce Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 4

I’m all in on the idea of giving the Chaotix their own show. But on the movie side of things they should definitely give Team Dark their own spin off. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel like outside of more wildly known characters like Knuckles or Shadow, there's really nobody else with the star power to carry an entire series.

So they would need to be introduced in a movie first and then spin them off.

If Shadow is in the third movie, I can see him getting a series and that's where Team Dark comes in. Knuckles can have the Chaotix.

Silver and Blaze can have their own little dimension adventures.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I feel like outside of more wildly known characters like Knuckles or Shadow, there's really nobody else with the star power to carry an entire series.

Pretty much my feeling. Personally, I think it is unsure that Jim Carrey does Sonic 3, and I think it is highly unlikely he would do Sonic 4 or beyond. There aren't that many Sonic characters who are that well known to be heavy hitters. If the SCU is to become a thing, arguably the TV show(s?) and movies would have to do some more heavy lifting and good creative decisions to be able to cope.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

If they're going to keep making these, I'd like them to make things that are clearly and unambiguously not adaptations of specific games. Not that I think they are making direct adaptations now, but that's where discussion always seems to go, and I'd rather see them try weird new ideas in this weird new universe rather than try to retell existing stories and probably do it worse. It's a balancing act of course, I don't want them to abandon the "feel" of Sonic (to what extent they've got it), but I don't need them to try to retell Chaos' story or to try to fit all the ARK business into this universe when/if they introduce Shadow.

I think it is interesting like you say, but to be honest I just don't think they would ever fully adapt any game beyond the 2 Adventure titles anyway. Heroes barely has a plot. Shadow is far too grimdark. Sonic '06 is beyond infamous. Unleashed, Colours, Generations, Lost World have very minimalistic plots. Forces is probably too dark again. Even for the first Adventure game, there is a lot there I think would just be left on the cutting room table. If/when Amy is introduced she isn't going to be enthralled by Sonic, that isn't going to fly in a modern day kid's movie. Doubt Gamma is ever going to be introduced, especially for a plot where he kills himself. Big is basically a meme character at this point. From what little we've seen, I feel Tails is already going to be fairly more self-confident than his SA1 counterpart but we'll see.

I feel like there will be alot of cherry picking that would be done rather than anything that is full on adaptation. Silver can still be from the future and do a time travel plot but that leaves alot of room. Blaze's alternate dimension can be as weird as they want it to be.

Personally I think the fact they are giving Knuckles his own show, it would be a waste not to involve Tikal in it in someway. She is tied to Knuckles roots and the Master Emerald, and I think there are ways you can expand on it the games never did honestly.

Like you say, it is a balancing act. The Knuckles TV show will be very interesting. Surely his supporting cast won't all just be human characters though, so I would certainly hope we get other Sonic characters involved in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bigger and more outlandish set pieces. Give us some of the wacky world designs of previous Sonic games, as well as the huge scale of them. 

My ultimate dream would be to see the Egg Carrier or Egg Fleet on the big screen. Sonic and co running down giant battleships in the sky. Set piece stuff like that was just built for cinema!

• Thumbs Up 5

How about a GUN Agent series similar to Agents of Shield? The series would have GUN members confronting various characters both from the Sonic series (including ancillary media) and other SEGA games alike, to set up the possibility of future films. One example would be them investigating the case of a girl named Ringo Andou and her mysterious electrical powers. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I’m really hoping we see Tikal and more of Pachacamac in this franchise. The echidna tribe being alive in this continuity opens up a plethora of storytelling possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 5

Here's what I hope will happen after Knuckles TV show and Sonic 3:

Sonic 4 (assuming Shadow will feature here)

Shadow Spin off film or Team Dark Tv show

Sonic 5

Sonic 6 or Shadow Spin off film sequel or Team Dark Tv show second season if successful

Blaze the Cat Spin off (assuming she is in Sonic 5 or 6)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can see Shadow and Amy appearing in the third film. We could probably get kimiko Glen as Amy, or Christian bale as Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd really like to see a return to Sonic's home planet and explore that more (and other places outside of Earth as well). 

I just don't see that happening any time soon. :(

• Thumbs Up 2

The Death Egg as a galactic threat. The series to go into space just like so many of the games have.

The characters have endless possibilities (no pun intended) as there is so many of them with such diversity and range.

• Thumbs Up 3

Tails spinoff, please. Ideally as a movie, but a show would be nice as well. I just wanna see the little guy be a hero again, dammit!

Paramount Pictures Sega GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

• Thumbs Up 4

I’ve really been excited at the prospect of what they could do with some of the non Eggman villains. Perhaps more can be done with Pachacamac since he and the echidna tribe are still alive in this world. Also they could use Nack/Fang as a supporting villain or maybe the main villain of a Chaotix show. And can you imagine the potential Mephiles and Infinite have in the hands of talented writers ?

• Thumbs Up 4

22 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

I’ve really been excited at the prospect of what they could do with some of the non Eggman villains. 

Two words: Bird Nazis. That is all.

Just give me a next movies (or Netflix series) based (even not so faithfully) on the Sonic Adventure/ Sonic Adventure 2 and I would be very happy. 

I'm honestly expecting a good chunk of Adventure material like Chaos and Tikal to be utilized in the Knuckles Show possibly introduce Rouge too so I'm thinking that Shadow will be the focus of the third movie. 

Going forward I hope they move past the Wachowski's eventually. I don't mind them in the first movie but honestly now that they seem like they're really leaning into them being Sonic's surrogate parents it's kinda rubbing me the wrong way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When Amy eventually comes to the films, does anyone think she’ll probably get some power upgrade like how Sonic and Knuckles can generate lightning?

On 3/7/2022 at 4:55 AM, Raya said:

Just give me a next movies (or Netflix series) based (even not so faithfully) on the Sonic Adventure/ Sonic Adventure 2 and I would be very happy. 

Sonic X is on Netflix.

Chaos was made to be a great big movie monster and they could use original concepts they couldn’t put in the game due to tech limitations. I know there was at least one specific move they wanted him to have that they couldn’t add.

In general, I think its good that they avoid straight up adaptations of the games but man I really want SA1/SA2 adaptations. Both of those games have such a cinematic story to begin with that I would love to see fully realized on the big screen. I don't expect it to happen although I do think we'll get something SA2-ish featuring Shadow for the third film. I'm sure Paramount is itching to get Shadow in the promotional material for the next film. That said, I reallyyyyyyy want to see Chaos on screen. I think its far less likely to actually happen but I think Chaos could more naturally fit into the universe we've seen on screen so far and I can absolutely see Jim Carrey's Robotnik trying SA1's Eggman scheme involving Chaos.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 hours ago, SonicFan3183 said:

Okay listen. What if we got a spin off with only the Chaotix. That is all.

A streaming show of them solving mysteries. It practically writes itself. Bonus points if we get a cinematic version of Mighty.

• Thumbs Up 2