Awoo.

First 4 Figures Gauging Interest in Sally Acorn

GentlemanX

First 4 Figures is conducting a Facebook poll to gauging interest in making a Sally Acorn figure as part of a character spotlight. Their description of these spotlight polls is as follows: "This spotlight poll is to give the lesser-known characters a chance to shine and if there is enough interest, we will look into it with serious thoughts. Of course, this is just to gauge interest for now and doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be made. Though, never say never." So while it's not as simple as "Vote yes and we'll make it!" but its definitely a step in the right direction for those of us wanting further usage and merchandise based on Sally Acorn, the Freedom Fighters, and other old SoA concepts. In order to participate and vote, you'll need to join the First 4 Figures Official Collectors Club Facebook group (just ask to join, you should get accepted within a few hours - at least that was the case for me) and then you'll be able to vote. Like Ian says in the tweet, showing enough interest here would be a big deal and hopefully might convince Sega that the audience for characters like Sally is substantial enough to appeal to.

• Thumbs Up 3

FWIW, I used to community manage for F4F and we once run a similar poll on Nack/Fang. It didn't quite get enough interest, but we spoke to SEGA anyway and they shot down the idea. Just saying. 

8 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

FWIW, I used to community manage for F4F and we once run a similar poll on Nack/Fang. It didn't quite get enough interest, but we spoke to SEGA anyway and they shot down the idea. Just saying. 

Thanks, it's good to keep everyone's expectations in check.

The only thing that gets this idea past SEGA would be just how much they really care anymore about Sally being relevant, especially when the movieverse is about to throw a huge wrench into the series popular canon.

Bruh, wtf?! First4Figures?!

That is the last place I expected Sally to get attention. Now I’m excited!

It would be even better if they could use her new look in the Archie Reboot, cuz I’m digging’ that design far more than her old SatAM look. Either way, kinda surprised to see this group pick an interest in the character.

I lost my mind when I saw the news. I know it’s not confirmed but this means soooooo much. Especially if it does get made which seems very likely imo.

Ive always felt Sally and the Freedom Fighters would eventually come back outside of the comics. So I’m not surprised I just was not expecting anything right now.

Ive never gotten a F4F statue. I wanted to but they’re expensive. However I would HAVE to buy this or anything that comes from it cause it’s true one thing leads to another. If this gets made other toy/merchandise lines will follow.

Also adds to the speculation on Sonic Prime.

41 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I lost my mind when I saw the news. I know it’s not confirmed but this means soooooo much. Especially if it does get made which seems very likely imo.

Ive always felt Sally and the Freedom Fighters would eventually come back outside of the comics. So I’m not surprised I just was not expecting anything right now.

Ive never gotten a F4F statue. I wanted to but they’re expensive. However I would HAVE to buy this or anything that comes from it cause it’s true one thing leads to another. If this gets made other toy/merchandise lines will follow.

Also adds to the speculation on Sonic Prime.

No, dude, please get your understanding in check. It doesn't mean anything. F4F has a very general license to make Sonic figurines, but the fact that they're polling for Sally doesn't mean anything at all. If their fanbase says that they want Sally, then they're going see if it's worth their time speaking to SEGA about. F4F can't produce anything that they want. SEGA have to approve each and every statue that they make. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

No, dude, please get your understanding in check. It doesn't mean anything. F4F has a very general license to make Sonic figurines, but the fact that they're polling for Sally doesn't mean anything at all. If their fanbase says that they want Sally, then they're going see if it's worth their time speaking to SEGA about. F4F can't produce anything that they want. SEGA have to approve each and every statue that they make. 

I understand Sega would still need to say ok. I even said I know it’s not confirmed right before the part you bolded.

I meant it means a lot because any new Freedom Fighters stuff would get the ball rolling for other things.

I personally don’t think it’s that far fetched that Sega would approve it.

I have doubts Sally is going to get a figure before a lot of other characters, but I guess nothing will change if we don't try..? It's worth a shot. Always a chance SEGA will acknowledge the old cartoon characters someday. 

• Thumbs Up 3

As others have been saying, I doubt that Sega would go through with it sadly.

Still, stranger things have happened. We might as well try eh? It would be pretty cool honestly. 

I'd prefer to have her with her last appearance, she was more Sonic Team-looking!!...

By the way, F4F should continue to publish GNF Toyz' SONIC BOOM8 series of figures and I'm still waiting for the fist wave of the "Modern" part of the collection!!...
Moreover, they are gorgeous and less expensive than their statues...

Honestly, them showing of Sally on a small stage doesn't mean much beyond "We've heard a few people asking about it. Let's see if there's actual numbers here".

Even if this as to explode in popularity, it wouldn't guarantee anything at all, as F4F would still have to approach SEGA to sign the idea off with them first. I do get the impression that Sally is likely to be trapped firmly in the depths of licensing hell, so don't get any hopes up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still nice to see some official entity acknowledging the old stuff even if Sega's ultimately going to put the kibosh on the idea. Better than how things have been the last four years.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 2/24/2022 at 11:23 PM, Zaysho said:

Still nice to see some official entity acknowledging the old stuff even if Sega's ultimately going to put the kibosh on the idea. Better than how things have been the last four years.

I don't want to just shit on the good vibes, but... Alex Davis at F4F is a really cool guy and I've tons of respect for him, but I doubt that this has anything to do with recognising the old stuff or Sally. He's just heard people talk about this character fervently and is following up accordingly. It's not really any sort of "official". 

20 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I don't want to just shit on the good vibes, but... Alex Davis at F4F is a really cool guy and I've tons of respect for him, but I doubt that this has anything to do with recognising the old stuff or Sally. He's just heard people talk about this character fervently and is following up accordingly. It's not really any sort of "official". 

I mean "official" in the sense that it's some entity involved with the franchise. The only other one I can think of is Ian Flynn, and we know Sega isn't going to budge on the comics any time soon. Just nice to see somebody's listening even if it won't go anywhere, is all.

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

I mean "official" in the sense that it's some entity involved with the franchise. The only other one I can think of is Ian Flynn, and we know Sega isn't going to budge on the comics any time soon. Just nice to see somebody's listening even if it won't go anywhere, is all.

Lemme retry this post... I apologise for the original version being so dismissive. 

It's nice that there's a little glimmer of something. If this does go anywhere, it's going to a really great gesture to any Sally fans out there. I'm just being overly cautious here to the point of repeating myself a lot. F4F isn't going to push for Sally unless they think she's somehow going to be profitable, and following that they'd have to get SEGA's approval. The number of people who say that they'd be interested in a Sally statue is less than the number of people who would actually be interested in buying one. It's just a real long shot. Not to sell the F4F short cause I know the guys there will want to do a good job and make the fans happy too. 

It only matters if SEGA is listening. At least that's the way that I see it. But I guess that license-holders enquiring could be a pretty loud voice. 

On 2/18/2022 at 2:17 PM, GentlemanX said:

Thanks, it's good to keep everyone's expectations in check.

I'm curious. Who is Sally's competition in this poll?

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I'm curious. Who is Sally's competition in this poll?

It wasn't a competition, it was just to see how much interest there was in Sally.

Speaking of, @Blue Blooddo you happen to remember how well the Fang poll did? I just was curious about how it compared to Sally's final numbers: 797 Yes/246 No.

My hopes are kind of dashed at the thought of Sega turning them down at the door, but I hope it did numbers, maybe gets some gears turning. 

I don't want to get people disappointed but if SEGA is so against the character appearing in games and IDW, which seems maybe the case (they won't comment but she hasn't appeared so far), they will shut down the idea probably. Don't kill me for this, I think the best chance here is custom figures for Sally.

I will say though that there is kind of a niche following for Sally so there might be interest, if F4F really went in advance phase for this figure. I wanted Mighty and Ray for the classic Boom8 but it doesn't seem to be happening, I remember making a post on the official facebook group a year ago maybe.

Maybe I'm stupid but...wouldn't even being able to run the poll at all mean that it's a possibility to do this statue?

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Maybe I'm stupid but...wouldn't even being able to run the poll at all mean that it's a possibility to do this statue?

Kind of, but it's not straightforward. Yes, F4F hold the license to make both  Modern and Classic themed Sonic statues and figures. But that doesn't mean that they can do whatever they want with the characters however. SEGA has to approve everything. This isn't normally an issue when dealing with regular characters (Sonic, Shadow, Tails etc), because F4F will have an official SEGA design guide to follow, there are no potential rights issues and SEGA still use those regular characters. F4F will propose a statue idea, and SEGA will give them the go-ahead. That's how it goes for the easy things.

With Sally, it's not guaranteed that SEGA will give the go-ahead. They could decline for any number of reasons. It's more likely that they'll decline are characters that aren't actively being used in the franchise in any way (and SEGA are apparently preventing Salt from appearing in the IDW comics for some reason). Additionally because Sally is a niche character, F4F has first got to gauge public reaction to see if it would even be worth their time and money by making a statue of her in the first place. 

So basically the poll is not official. It's more like they're testing the waters to see if they should try to make it official.

@GentlemanXI don't really remember. I want to say somewhere in the region of 750?

• Thumbs Up 2