Awoo.

What rarely used Sonic character should get expanded on in future media?

J.R.

They ain't a shortage of rarely used Sonic characters since day of the the series. Some of them good, some bad. Many of which had extreme potential and if stayed may (or may not) had a nice impact on the series. Like for example, the Sonic Bros. from the unreleased Sonic game, Sega Sonic Bros. Villains, comic, cancelled games or more may count too. Which is here I want you to tell me if you'd like to see any of these old characters should be refurbished and used once more.

You know, as far as the games are concerned, I'd rather they remain unused. The characters that have stuck around haven't gotten treated well for decades, if their names aren't Sonic or Eggman. As far as other media is concerned, I don't care as much personally- I'm not super invested in the movies, comics, etc. But I do like how the trailers for the movie sequel make Knuckles seem interesting again, something I haven't seen in a long time. If treated well like he seemingly is, maybe my mind could be changed.

Chaotix or Team Babylon would be fun to expand on, and I always like the GUN team for being overxealous insane Yosemite Sam esque soldiers.
But yeah, what Shade said, with the current attitude and writing in Sonic games, it's hard to get excited about any side character showing up, they'll be boring at best and utterly broken at worst. Props for Sonic Team still making them feel neglected and pointless even if they DO get a highlight, like Shadow and Silver in Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy. She is neglected so much she is probably the one with most potential as a character, she is very marketable as a female protagonist because of her energy and determined personality, she is social, but also a fighter, an all-around character that simply works when she's not Sonic's fangirl all the time.

I would not mind a focus on Team Dark or Chaotix, but also as singular characters, it seems Vector is the only one nowadays to get screentime, and not Espio and Charmy, I get it Vector is the most interesting and versatile one but they work well as Chaotix too.

Rouge and Omega could also use more interactions, and not just relegated as Shadow's sidekicks (since apparently they aren't even friends according to SEGA...) but in general I would like to see new matches of characters rather than the usual teams.

Silver also deserves more, he is pretty popular, I dare say I prefer him over Blaze, don't get me wrong they are both great characters powers-wise and personality-wise but I have a soft spot for the dorky side of Silver. Blaze should appear in spin-offs as she does, and sometimes in main games.

And... Cream? It's not my favorite Sonic character, I admit she is written amazingly in IDW.

Edit: I'm aware I mentioned characters that already get used and are not rare but, yeah, I believe they should focus on these and then add the "obscure cuts" where it's possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

And... Cream? It's not my favorite Sonic character, I admit she is written amazingly in IDW.

Off course after being left out from Team Sonic Racing and not being in a game since Generations (save for some minor roles in spin-offs), I think she's starting to become a "rarely used character", and I second the opinion that she should be used more. She IS one of my favorite characters when done right, though sadly it means just Advance 2, that Sonic Channel story, and IDW Metal Virus arc, plus maybe some moments in Rush at best (not sure about Sonic X because I only watched a few episodes of the first season and didn't watch the Emerl arc, though for the little I watched, I didn't like that version of her very much); they don't seem to understand how to get her right at all most of the times.

My more obscure pick would be Gemerl. I like the Advance games and after Gemerl was introduced, he never appeared again even though he was apparently reprogrammed or repaired wathever, and became a friend. Since Cream is supposed to be his closest friend, he would also help the rabbit to appear and get involved in games a bit more, and counter-balance her "cutesy" with some badass mecha design, for those people who have problems liking her for being too cute/girly/kiddy/wathever. I like the IDW interpretation of the character, an originally cold robot who is trying hard to learn to be more "human" despite being a robot, and also a white knight type character who's overprotective with Cream, to the point that sometimes it can even cause problems.

Still robots, but Jhonny and Captain Whisker could be used more, especially if we some day get a chance to explore the Sol dimension a bit more. They feel kinda like the modern equivalent of the Hard Boiled Heavies. Though if this means getting Nega involved, I wouldn't mind if they stay unused.

And... Fang the Sniper, he's cool, I would like to see him adapted to modern design too. That's it, I just like his design, sadly there's not much to talk about his possible gameplay or personality because he appeared for so little and was never developed enough.

• Thumbs Up 4

There hopefully will be a downloadable Big the Cat side quest or something similar for Frontiers, if he isn't there from the start!!  Just from the simple footage we have seen, it is clear that the Starfall Islands and Big go together like any two beloved combinations!!

• Chuckle 1

Tikal. I like how we got to see her in Sonic Adventure 1 but she came and went afterward and has been never heard of since except as a footnote multiplayer character in Sonic Adventure 2. At this point, she has been demoted to the role of a in-game sticker and an avatar costume in the other games. Of course, you could argue that her character arc ran its course once the main antagonist Chaos was pacified. On that point though, I would say that her character itself has an Ahsoka-esque appeal to me that has a lot more potential to draw upon. That is, she has a strong self-determination and sense of virtue just like Ahsoka in Star Wars: The Clone Wars which we have not yet seen in full display outside of high-stakes cinematic climaxes. For example, we have seen her under high pressure but we have not seen her in ordinary situations. That is precisely where we could explore her character that would give us deeper and wider insights than just her stereotypical associations with just Chaos, Chao, and the Master Emerald. I understand the comics have covered more ground with her character, but I feel she would be a good fit for an Adventure-style game given these points.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Chaotix or Team Babylon would be fun to expand on, and I always like the GUN team for being overxealous insane Yosemite Sam esque soldiers.
But yeah, what Shade said, with the current attitude and writing in Sonic games, it's hard to get excited about any side character showing up, they'll be boring at best and utterly broken at worst. Props for Sonic Team still making them feel neglected and pointless even if they DO get a highlight, like Shadow and Silver in Forces.

And also making new characters who are so bad that alternative media using them can’t really salvage the characters. 

Amy is long over due a meaningful part in a game.

With her voice being confirmed in the trailer for frontiers maybe we’ll see that happen sooner than later. Fingers crossed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy, Chaotix, Blazeeeeeeeeeee 

I see Blaze being a critical classic yet a commercial flop, but you have to do it for the art. Same with Chao, Chaos, and Tikal. 

Given that Blaze's debut game got a direct sequel I think we can rule out the idea that she is a commercial flop.

But she is one of the few characters introduced in the past twenty years that I'd actually like to see more of.

• Thumbs Up 2

I’d want Cream to get more screen time. She wasn’t in lost world or forces, she’s only reduced to side appearance’s in sports games and comics it feels incredibly odd to me. I always saw Cream as a big part of the cast of characters.And it doesn’t look like she’ll be appearing in frontier’s.

• Thumbs Up 1