Awoo.

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet - PLEASE TAG SPOILERS/LEAKS

Sonictrainer

We have a new Pokémon that was teased over the past few days.

New Pokémon: Grafaiai

Spoiler

pokemon-grafaiai.pngp03_01.jpg

• Grafaiai
  • Category: Toxic Monkey Pokémon
  • Type: Poison/Normal
  • Height: 2'4"
  • Weight: 60 lbs.
  • Abilities: Unburden/Poison Touch

Grafaiai is a moody Pokémon with a fastidious disposition. It doesn’t form packs, preferring to roam alone. It’s constantly caught up in territorial struggles with other Pokémon.

It Sets Up Poison Traps around Its Territory
Grafaiai is nocturnal. Once the sun sets, it licks its hands and fingers to cover them in poison, then uses them to draw patterns on the trees in its territory. The poisonous saliva it uses to paint paralyzes Bug Pokémon, which are drawn to the saliva’s sweet, fragrant scent. When dawn draws near, Grafaiai goes to collect any incapacitated prey.

When Grafaiai Senses Danger, Its Poisonous Saliva Becomes Even More Toxic
This Pokémon specializes in using its poisonous saliva—which changes color depending on what the Pokémon eats—to attack foes by spitting at them or by slashing at them after coating its claws with the saliva. When Grafaiai senses danger, its poison rapidly becomes concentrated, resulting in a potent toxin that, once absorbed, will immobilize a victim for three whole days.

Spoiler

nyqyGmz.png

Really cool way of mixing a seldom used species in with a gimmick. It's no Salandit, but it's very charming.

• Chuckle 1

I like dumb little things like this or the Hisuian Zoroark trailer. Like they took that ridiculous 24-hour stream that just led to Galarian Ponyta and just got to the point. Makes the reveals feel really fun.

Was kinda mixed on it but the design is growing on me after a day.

• Thumbs Up 3

It does feel a little like a response to the Glimwood Tangle livestream.  The concept is essentially the same, except we just went straight to the highlight reel.  I definitely feel like these promotional bits which attempt to bridge the fiction of game and reality have been fun; and they also demonstrate the greater emphasis given to the ecology of each of these fictional animals, what its place is in the world.  Maybe a lot to be taking away from a video with a parody clickbait thumbnail, I don't know.

Honestly I respected that infamous stream for how trolly it was but that probably wasn't the intent, LOL. We're definitely better off with the recent reveals either way.

Grafaiai is probably my fav of the new friends so far. I wonder if they have a rivalry with Smeargle...

• Thumbs Up 2

As I said in the statuses... This trailer did very little for me. I don't have many comments to make. Klawf is cool, but I'm not really a fan of the two suits of armour. I like the concept of them, but not the execution. They're not bad designs though. None of the new Pokes jumping out too new as something I really want to use on my team. Maybe Cetitan. It's pretty unique. 

The rest of the trailer was just more... I dunno. It was totally whatever? Looks like more of the stuff I hated from SuMo/SwSh and less of the stuff that I loved about PLA. The abundance of characters interfering with your journey irks me. Pokémon is at its best when you're left to your own devices most of the time. 

This is an open world Pokemon, is it not? I don't mind regrouping with characters to further the plot or whatever, but PLA's biggest strength was that you were entirely off the leash between story events. Nobody ever really accompanied you anywhere. I get the distinct impression that SV will have a damn sight more interruptions. By virtue of being open world it almost certainly won't be anywhere near as railroaded and hand-holdy as recent generations. I'm just disappointed by how much its returning to the boring, tired after PLA completely reinvigorated Pokémon for me. 

Also from a purely aesthetic point of view, more and more of the human characters in this game look overdesigned, have terrifying eyes and proportions, or both. Geeta looks like hellspawn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Aww, that’s a shame @Blue Blood, To be honest this trailer did quite the opposite for me 😅

The new Pokémon looked pretty wicked,  and it’s quite exciting to me that they appear to have Titan (~nee Alpha) Pokémon in this as well - or at least it seems like a halfway point between that and Dynamax at least. So that’s a plus. 

I think really, because this game is essentially building up to what I have hoped for from the franchise in forever (basically, open world Pokémon exploration - just do the eff what you want as you want as the trailer indicates),  is what has me on the tender-hooks.

There was a lot to Sw/Sh for me that was still positive amongst its detractors, and if it can hits any of the high notes that Gen 8 achieved then I’m all for it. I was grinning quite a bit when the vocal theme came in at the end (one element of the gym matches I did enjoy a lot last gen) 

I’ve also “finished” Pokémon Legends recently (not the final ending yet, mind), and as good as the game is (the main research / gameplay loop is super addicting), I felt the exposition and story elements and segmentation of the landmasses personally took me out of the experience for the most part. Not to mention how appalling the thing runs and looks half the time. There’s No excuse for this Gamefreak, a very dirty and rough looking game overall which is a shame. 

But overall Legends is a decent action RPG experiment, and I agree that the fact that you are (sort of mostly) left to your devices to see the game through how you want is refreshing, so I hope they do a follow-up to Legends later on down the road. It’s a formula that’s worth investing in, especially if they aren't going to fully migrate all of it’s ideas into the mainline series like I thought they would. 

But going back to Scar/Vio, I will say that whilst I find the game to look more graphically and aesthetically pleasing (finally), I do miss the traditional character design.

You’re bang on the money about some of the trainers being hideously over designed. I mean Geeta… my god what the hell happened there. But saying that,  Legends was also guilty of this with a lot of their main cast as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thematically, it appears to be an example of convergent evolution, where two unrelated animals end up evolving into forms with a similar appearance; that's why it's a whole new Pokemon, not a regional form of Diglett.  On another level, I suspect that the designers wanted to vary the body plan and underpinnings of the Pokemon too much for it to be considered a regional Diglett; regional forms all keep the same body plan, just modify the bells and whistles.  I suspect it will evolve into something radically un-Diglett-like, to help sell the concept.

Weird reveal, though!  This went out in a fake livestreamed webinar which, as you can see from the edit above, was mostly but not entirely English-subbed.  It's a strange feeling, for a reveal to feel like a leak.

Here's the official English Reveal of Wiglett!

New Pokémon: Wiglett

Spoiler

pokemon-wiglett.png03_02.jpg

• Wiglett
  • Category: Garden Eel Pokémon
  • Type: Water
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Weight: 4 lbs.
  • Ability: Gooey/Rattled

Though It May Closely Resemble Diglett, It’s a Completely Different Pokémon
It may look like Diglett, but it’s actually a completely different species of Pokémon. Wiglett pokes a part of its body out of the sand to feed in the ocean. It’s still unclear what the rest of its body hidden in the sand is like or how long it might be.

Wiglett Has a Sense of Smell That Can Pick up Scents from over 60 Feet Away!
Boasting an exceptional sense of smell, Wiglett is able to pick up scents from over 60 feet away. It has a skittish disposition and is constantly cautious of its surroundings. When it notices the scent of other Pokémon, Wiglett burrows into the sand to conceal itself.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, Salamander said:

Thematically, it appears to be an example of convergent evolution, where two unrelated animals end up evolving into forms with a similar appearance; that's why it's a whole new Pokemon, not a regional form of Diglett.  On another level, I suspect that the designers wanted to vary the body plan and underpinnings of the Pokemon too much for it to be considered a regional Diglett; regional forms all keep the same body plan, just modify the bells and whistles.  I suspect it will evolve into something radically un-Diglett-like, to help sell the concept.

Weird reveal, though!  This went out in a fake livestreamed webinar which, as you can see from the edit above, was mostly but not entirely English-subbed.  It's a strange feeling, for a reveal to feel like a leak.

Its really no more different than the regional variants of Exeggutor, Weezing, Liligsnt or Sligoo and Goodra, all of which change pretty drastically from the originals. There's no reason that Wiglett couldn't have just been a regional form. But having said that, I like that it's not. There's a possibility that it'll change even more through evolution. And even if it does just evolve into "Wugtrio", its a few little touch of world building for it not to be a regional variant. 

Wiglett is a fun idea. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We'll be getting our first October News Update tomorrow

FeTsQidWYAAjnMg?format=jpg&name=medium

Calling all Trainers—a new #PokemonScarletViolet trailer arrives tomorrow!

Keep an eye on our YouTube channel and tune in 6:00 a.m. PDT on 10/6 to prepare for the latest news!

It honestly doesn't feel all that long since the last one, but I think that's just The Wiglett Effect.

FeY54RCXEAEdkbB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

We have an Overview Trailer that shows off a few new Pokémon that haven't been officially revealed yet, 1 new Evolution, and a few new mechanics

I'll do a double recap of the one before Wiglett was revealed as well

New Evolution: Farigiraf

Spoiler

pokemon-farigiraf.pngp03_02.jpg

• Farigiraf
  • Category: Long Neck Pokémon
  • Type: Normal/Psychic
  • Height: 10'6"
  • Weight: 352.7 lbs.
  • Abilities: Armor Tail/Cud Chew

Girafarig living in the Paldea region will evolve into this Pokémon.

The Head of Its Main Body and the Head on Its Tail Combined!
As a result of its Evolution, the head of its main body and the head from its tail have become one. Both of Farigiraf’s brains are connected through thick nerves, increasing its psychic energy, and it can emit psychic waves from the antennae on its head. It’s always mindful of its surroundings, and while it can detect danger in an instant, there are times when its body cannot react as fast as its two brains can think.

The Head from Its Tail Is Equipped for Both Offense and Defense
The thick, sturdy head from its tail provides good defense for the head of the main body. When the head from its tail closes its mouth, Farigiraf whips its long neck around in an attack that deals brutal physical damage. The force of this attack is said to be able to pulverize stone and crush steel beams.

So lore-wise, it still has two heads, it's just that one encapsulates the other?  That's kind of messed-up.  I like that we have a tall giraffe now, though.

Intrigued by the idea of TM crafting; seems like an interesting compromise between limited-use, limited-use purchasable, and unlimited use.  It remains to be seen how convenient the balance is, of course; to what extent grinding for materials will be a necessary timesink.  The presentation reminds me a lot of the Essence system from Shin Megami Tensei V.

Re: Hair customisation: Did it look like that hair colour list scrolled downwards?  I hope so; because it's honestly ridiculous that I can make my hair green in this game, but not the colour of my actual hair in real life.  What's their problem?  Several generations now and they still haven't figured out that ginger-haired people exist - despite all the red-headed NPCs?

Also, if you do some scouting around, turns out they accidentally left in small and hard-to-make-out cuts of unrevealed Pokemon here and there in the trailer.

I can't lie, the fact that they even named the evolution Farigiraf made me proper laugh my arse off. 

So, this is still shaping up nicely IMO. It is a shame that the catch mechanic from Legends has been vaulted, but this isn't really billed as an action RPG so it makes sense. However, the Let's Go mechanic looks interesting in motion and comes close enough to me as a time saver for certain situations - so I'm intrigued to give this a whirl. 

The game itself also looks visually gorgeous, although the 5 frame per second animations on far away Pokemon / Windmills is certainly gunna take some getting used too. I suppose it's either this or random pop-up/shrinking/unshrinking Pokemon like in Sw/Sh. But hey, the grass looks lovely at least. 

I'm also down for the pointless sandwich making. It looks slightly more fun than the Curry mechanic and I REALLY hated the curry stuff in Sw/Sh actually (but mostly because Curry is not a UK specific dish, so this felt really off to me). 

• Thumbs Up 1

A curious point of note which I've seen rattling around is that the footage in the Japanese version of the trailer is noticeably smoother; most noticeably the windmills and Sunflora at 7:16-7:46:

There's some speculation that the English-version footage might be from an older build.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Salamander said:

A curious point of note which I've seen rattling around is that the footage in the Japanese version of the trailer is noticeably smoother; most noticeably the windmills and Sunflora at 7:16-7:46:

There's some speculation that the English-version footage might be from an older build.

Nice, I did wonder why these frames seemed so much lower, especially the Sunflora as we'd seen this sequence in a previous trailer already without issues. At least that jettisons that worry. 

After PLA brought back the trend, I'm very glad that SV is continuing with the concepts of new evolutions for existing Pokémon. Regional forms tend to overshadow original forms rather than reinvigorate them. Like, are you seriously going to tell me that anyone would consider using a regular Qwilfish now that it has a regional form capable of evolving? Lol. But people will now use Stantler because it got a standard evolution rather than a regional form. 

Giarafarig was always a great concept that was wasted on a kind of useless Pokémon, and now Farigiraf is the evolution it always needed. I love the way that it looks, too. The tail head was anyways destined to take over in any potential evolution, but I didn't expect it to do so quite so literally. Creepy and very cool

This post was actually for the Splatoon thread in regards to the November Splatfest being Pokémon themed. Not sure if I goofed and posted it here by mistake, or if a mod moved it misunderstanding the point. 

Spoiler

Looking at the full starter lines.... 

Kanto: Grass > Water > Fire (but they're all top tier) 

Johto: Water > Fire > Grass

Hoenn: Water > Grass > Fire (Blaziken lame) 

Sinnoh: Water > Fire > Grass (best trio of starters, Infernape is the best Fire/Fighting type) 

Unova: Water > Grass > Fire

Kalos: Water > Grass > dog shit on your shoe > Fire

Alola: Grass > Delphox > Water > Fire (I don't like any of them but at least I don't hate the Rowlett line) 

Galar: They're all losers

Hisui: Fire > Water > Grass (Unovan Samurott > Hisuian Typhlosion > Hisuian Samurott > Johtonian Typhlosion > Alolan Decidueye > Hisuian Decidueye, FTR) 

Paldea: Grass > Fire > Water (I'm gonna be so pissed if I'm let down by another feline starter when it evolves) 

It'll have to be water for me, even though it's actually been a while since it's won out in any specific region and it's the worst one the Paldea bunch so far. 

Man this game is somehow even uglier than SwSh. Why even show an area in a trailer if it has N64 quality texture work?

On 10/9/2022 at 2:34 AM, Tornado said:

Man this game is somehow even uglier than SwSh. Why even show an area in a trailer if it has N64 quality texture work?

Is that actually even possible to technically achieve? 🤣

I’ll suppose I’ll bite and say for sure that the static areas or battlegrounds of Sw/Sh visually hold up a bit better - but that’s exactly why, they seem to “pop” due to being stationary/separately rendered areas.

But there’s no way Sc/Vi’s open areas look worse overall compared to Sw/Sh’s empty wastelands, or the GCN beta palette that Legends conjured up. That’s not to say I think we have a BOTW open world comparable here, but it’s much closer at least. 

We're getting another update tomorrow

New Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet information is coming this week! 🚨 

Tune in to our YouTube channel at 6:00 a.m. PDT on 10/12 for the latest update!

Serebii confirmed that a new Gym Leader has been confirmed as least.