Awoo.

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet - PLEASE TAG SPOILERS/LEAKS

Sonictrainer

58 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

We're getting another update tomorrow

Serebii confirmed that a new Gym Leader has been confirmed as least.

Apparently in other regions the new update is being presented as a stream starring the new gym leader in the role of VTuber.

43 minutes ago, Salamander said:

Apparently in other regions the new update is being presented as a stream starring the new gym leader in the role of VTuber.

This implies that VTubers exist in Pokémon and i Don't think im ready to deal with that

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I can safely say I'm confused as all hell. My guess is it's a regional Chinchou form but it's probably a new pokemon let's be honest.

Actually disgusting. 

Also why does almost everyone in this game have two-tone hair colours? 

I feel like they put more effort into the presentation of that tease then the game itself....

I mean, they put quite a bit of work into what amounts to a filler intro for a single gym leader.

Here both trailers for Iono & her partner, Bellibolt

New Pokémon: Bellibolt

Spoiler

pokemon-bellibolt.pngp04_01.jpg

• Bellibolt
  • Category: EleFrog Pokémon
  • TypeElectric
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Weight249.1 lbs
  • Abilities: Electromorphosis / Static

Its Belly-Button Dynamo Produces a Huge Amount of Electricity
Bellibolt expands and contracts its elastic body to generate electricity in an organ that looks like a belly button. The huge amount of electricity generated this way is then discharged from the two bumps on either side of its head that resemble eyeballs.
Its actual eyes are adorably small and round, so when it tries to be intimidating, it puts the eyelike bumps to good use.

Easygoing by Nature, It Doesn’t Notice an Opponent Until Attacked
It is difficult to train Bellibolt to initiate a battle without it being attacked first. After the sun sets, you can hear strange noises coming from Bellibolt’s habitat. This noise is not Bellibolt’s cries, but a sound emitting from their stomachs–it is known that this sound signals that they are hungry.

New Abilities: Electromorphosis

Spoiler

p04_03_en.jpg

Bellibolt’s Ability, Electromorphosis, is a new Ability appearing for the first time in these titles. Bellibolt becomes charged when hit by an attack, boosting the power of the next Electric-type move it uses.

New Human Characters: Iono

Spoiler

character-iono-detail.pngp03_01.jpg

Iono is the Gym Leader of Levincia, one of the Paldea region's prominent cities, specializing in Electric-type Pokémon. She's also known as the Supercharged Streamer, having gained popularity as the host of the Iono Zone—she even streams her work as a Gym Leader and seems to place great emphasis on viewer engagement on her channel and the number of views she gets. Her catchphrases include: Your eyeballs are MINE—caught in my Electroweb! and 'Ello, 'ello, hola! Ciao and Bonjour!

That second trailer is what I mean.  Iono's in-game model is a slight improvement on her stream model, design-wise; her 2D art is better still.  Something about her just doesn't seem to translate well.

There's also speculation that Bellibolt may be inspired by this beta design for Politoed:

I don't like Bellibolt at all, but I do like beta Politoed. The similarities between them kind of paint the issues I have with a lot of modern Pokémon designs. It's ugly AF. 

16 hours ago, Soniman said:

This entire game looks like it made out of pastel play dough, very unappealing visually.

The Pokemon experience baby.

• Chuckle 1

24 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The Pokemon experience baby.

FWIW, I find that the art style of Gen 8 to look quite nice. Give me stills from LA or SW and chances are that I'll think they look aesthetically pleasing. There were huge graphical and presentation problems that dragged them down and ultimately they looked like Gen 7 in HD. But in the whole, I found them "nice" to look at. 

The slightly more detailed style of Gen 9 any the accompanying human characters designs look incredibly unpleasant. Everyone's dipping into the uncanny valley. Like Geeta. She's absolutely fucking horrifying. It's in line with how how character design have been changing with instalment from the middle of Gen 4 onwards, especially with increasingly big, dead eyes. Pokémon designs have gone much the same way too. 

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

FWIW, I find that the art style of Gen 8 to look quite nice. Give me stills from LA or SW and chances are that I'll think they look aesthetically pleasing. There were huge graphical and presentation problems that dragged them down and ultimately they looked like Gen 7 in HD. But in the whole, I found them "nice" to look at. 

The slightly more detailed style of Gen 9 any the accompanying human characters designs look incredibly unpleasant. Everyone's dipping into the uncanny valley. Like Geeta. She's absolutely fucking horrifying. It's in line with how how character design have been changing with instalment from the middle of Gen 4 onwards, especially with increasingly big, dead eyes. Pokémon designs have gone much the same way too. 

I feel like the designs are leaning into a more "realistic" direction, but still trying to be cartoony. 

It looks really awkward I admit. The art style they had was fine, and I get they need to update and evolve but they need to do it in a way where things don't look as uncanny.

The designs are more detailed and the humans have more... I dunno, realistic head shapes? They're trying something different, but as I said newbie I think they're just falling into the uncanny valley and the results are uncomfortable. 

Bellibolt (despite the cute name) is certainly in the undesirable catch category for me.

Iono however, sits pretty well on their typical anime draws compared to some of the other over-designed and/or more "realistic" looking humans they've shown off so far. Both Iono's V-Tuber *shudders* version and in game models are pretty one on one with the artwork tho, so I don't personally see any discrepancies there - the shark-razor teeth add a hilarious touch of character too, I quite like that. 

Fans & Journalists got to play a Preview build of the game

As such different gameplay, news, and information was revealed.

I've compiled them into a Spoiler Tag, just in case

Spoiler
  • You can customize many of your character's features from the beginning of the game besides just the gender and skin.
  • Customization Options are no longer gender locked
  • There are 18 Badges, which are spread across all 3 Adventures and not just Victory Road
  • Mela gives you the Fire Badge after defeating her
  • Shiny Pokémon will appear onscreen like in PLA. Someone managed to find a Shiny Skiddo
  • After 3 moves, Pokémon can Terastallize
  • During Battles, other Wild Pokémon may appear in the background to spectate and react
  • Sandwiches can provide Buffs, similar to the Powers from past games, including increasing the Shiny appearance rate

• Thumbs Up 2

The 18 badge's spread across 3 adventures thing is interesting. I hadn't considered that with the Gym order being optional that this entire element could be optional (but that's presuming that 8 badges + league champion/plot is still the first endgame like the other titles). The only worrying aspect is the reporting that none of the Gyms will scale based on who you beat first... which sounds pretty non-sensical to me, so I'm presuming there is more to this. 

There's a lot of good stuff shown in the "quality control" footage (I'm aware that the early Demo build also wasn't very stable which has unsurprisingly lead to some worry, especially considering past game outings) - but in general it's about as expected to me. Really what I want and what Gamefreak are able to achieve with how the game run's and looks visually are different things, so I'll take what I can get if it feels like the effort has been put in. 

I love the music here too, there's some Sw/Sh opening callbacks on the field before it branches off and the general battle music is wildly different which is awesome. I will say that I think they need to approach considering for a fully Orchestrated game next time - the grander musical scale on offer will add so much atmosphere to the wider open world. 

EDIT: We have a new Ghost Doggo! 

New Pokémon: Greavard

Spoiler

pokemon-greavard.webpp01_02.jpg

• Greavard
  • Category: Ghost Dog Pokémon
  • Type: Ghost
  • Height: 2'
  • Weight: 77.2 lbs.
  • Ability: Pickup

It Lurks Underground and Jumps Out While Making Eerie Cries
Normally, Greavard barely moves, resting peacefully underground. It pokes the topmost part of its head above ground and lights an eerie glow at its tip, then waits for someone to approach. When a person draws near, Greavard jumps out of the ground while letting out a spooky cry that would startle most unsuspecting people. However, it doesn’t appear to do this with ill intent.

It’s Friendly and Easily Gets Lonely, but Make Sure Not to Play With It Too Much
Greavard has such a friendly and affectionate personality that paying it even the slightest bit of attention will make it so overjoyed that it will follow you wherever you go. Of all the Pokémon residing in the Paldea region, it is known to be especially easy to befriend.

However, Greavard will slowly and inadvertently absorb the life-force of those around it, so it’s best not to play with it too much.

It has powerful jaws that can shatter bones—a single bite from Greavard can be grievous!

• 2 weeks later...

A new Pokémon in Scarlet/Violet was revealed yesterday in GO. 

New Pokémon: Gimmighoul (Chest Form)

Spoiler

pokemon-gimmighoul.pngp03_02.jpg

• Gimmighoul (Chest Form)
  • Category: Coin Chest Pokémon
  • Type: Ghost
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 11 lbs.
  • Ability: Rattled

It Hides inside a Treasure Chest and Moves Slowly
These Gimmighoul hide inside sturdy treasure chests. While this provides them with a solid defense, the treasure chest’s weight causes Gimmighoul to move slowly, making travel difficult. It is not uncommon for Chest Form Gimmighoul to be mistaken for an antique and taken home or sold to an antique store.

Gimmighoul Controls People and Pokémon, Making Them Collect Coins
When Gimmighoul senses a person or Pokémon draw near, it ambushes them. It then uses ghost energy to control its target, forcing them to collect coins. Because it often hides in warehouses, shop corners, and other places people and Pokémon don’t frequent, it tends to keep persistent control of those it does manage to encounter.

New Pokémon: Gimmighoul (Roaming Form)

Spoiler

pokemon_gimmighoul_roaming_resize.pngp04_01.jpg

• Gimmighoul (Roaming Form)
  • Category: ?
  • Type: ?
  • Height: ?
  • Weight: ?
  • Ability: ?

Gimmighoul’s Roaming Form
It seems that Gimmighoul has a second form called Roaming Form Gimmighoul. This kind of Gimmighoul doesn’t hide in a treasure chest. It’s small, carries a single coin on its back, and can be found hiding all over Paldea. However, since they run away as soon as a person approaches, it seems not a single Trainer in Paldea has ever managed to catch one.

GO_Screenshots.jpg

Surprisingly, Roaming Form Gimmighoul have been spotted in the world of Pokémon GO as well! It appears that Mr. Jacq—an expert on the biology of Pokémon in the Paldea region—and Professor Willow, who has been carrying out research alongside Trainers in the world of Pokémon GO, have joined forces to devise a way to catch them. Please wait for future announcements to hear all about their research results.

Not entirely sure how I feel about what looks like a riff on the traditional chest mimic when Pokemon has never had chests, and has instead had its own mimics (Voltorb et al.).  But I am guessing that, a thousand coins amassed, it will evolve into something gold-plated and perhaps more novel.  I like that, rather than being a trap per se, it instead hypnotises people into bringing it coins.

I think that Gimmighoul looks like the story of Pokémon that won't have any evolutions or pre-evolutions. It's two different forms fill that niche.

Can't say that I like it at all though. 

We're getting another update trailer tomorrow

Calling all Trainers! A new #PokemonScarletViolet trailer arrives tomorrow!

Tune in to our YouTube channel at 6:00 a.m. PT on 11/8 for the latest news! Don’t forget to subscribe and turn on notifications—you won’t want to miss this: https://pkmn.news/OfficialYouTubeChannel

Also, the games have officially started getting leaked. If you want to talk about the Scarlet/Violet leaks, please keep it in this topic.