Awoo.

I think it's time for my country to join NATO, and I think other should do the same

batson

So I'm Swedish. And like most swedes, I've enjoyed the idea of Sweden being as neutral a country as possible. We haven't been involved in a single war since 1809, and part of that has to do with this policy of complete neautrality, and part of it has to do with plain ol' luck. Hitler didn't invade us when he invaded all of our neighbours because for the time being, there was nothing specific that he wanted from Sweden. He and his regime most certainly would have eventually conquered Sweden though if things had just gone their way for a couple of years longer. So yeah, luck and coincidence is a big part of our peacful modern history.

But with Russia currently being the way they are, I've come to the conclusion that I for one believe that it's time for Sweden to join NATO. It's not an easy decision to join a pact like that singce this means the end of neautrality for us, but then again in practice joining the pact first and foremost for most members means joining the "No nation on Earth dares to mess with you because USA"-club, and I've more and more started to realize how great a thing this is. In the best of worlds a small nation shouldn't have to permanently attach themselves to a greater nation purely for safety reasons, but reality is what it is. Also, I've been very left wing when it comes to geopolitics (and politics in general) for most of my life, but I've come to realize just how much the USA means to the defence of democray on this planet. Out of the three world super powers, the USA, Russia, and China, the USA is the only state that values democracy as a concept, even if they have most definitely sometimes used the defence of this concept as an excuse to use excessive lethal force against less priviliged parts of the world. But all in all, the USA is the worlds foremost counterbalance to the spread of dictatorship.

Right now, Swedes are scared to death of the situation to the east. And I'd suggest that it's time not just for my country but also for all the other countries of Europe that hasn't joined the club yet to definiteively choose a side in the new cold war. I know that I for one would be sleeping better at nigh if I could imagine that if someone tries to attack ny home then this would happen:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• batson

• MetalSkulkBane

• VRiderCh

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Putin's certainly making the the pro-NATO argument compelling right now.

I would push back on the idea that Russia is still a super power, however. The Russian military seems to be really struggling in Ukraine, and even if they take the country everything I've seen/read suggests they won't be able to hold it long term. You also generally need to have an economy to be considered a super power.

All of that's not to say Russia isn't a danger to their neighbors, but Russia's sphere of influence is quite limited compared to the US, China, or the old Soviet Union.

I remember seeing something along the lines of "Putin threatens retaliation if Sweden (and another country I don't remember) join NATO"

So, if he doesn't like it, it must be a good idea.

Yeah, it’s understandable, but Russia’s not doing as well as they planned.

Their real scare tactic is the threat of nuclear war, but considering they’re fucking up on the conventional, logistical, and informational side of things…I honestly would question Russia’s status as a superpower.

Mind you, that could change if they go all in with China. But at the moment, Russia’s putting themselves in a position where they might not be able to do the same to Sweden as they’re trying to do with Ukraine.

My country is in Nato and many people are still scared (Poland, we're right next to Ukraine), so if I was Finland or Moldavia I would join Nato right now.

I mean, if Putin wins in Ukraine and next year he attacks Finland, what will world do? Sanction him a little more?

Heck, Moldavia could probably merge with Romania. They are separate kinda by accident and according to last polls like 40% of people liked the idea.